Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

They have forfeited any future right to complain about intolerance, discrimination or prejudice. in fact, they are behaving like dictators, trying to force their views and beliefs on everyone else. The very thing they object to many of those acting in the name of the Catholic Church having done in recent years.

But trying to obstruct other people from doing so is deeply intolerant, and a measure of the kind of person you are.

Ain't that the new liberalism, though? Antifa. Bomb and violence threats at speeches that may counter one's world view. Incitement to hatred on all available mediums. Utterly infantile hysteria. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

jmayo wrote: »
    I just thought I would leave some of your previous gems here, for comparison purposes.

You are a prime example of the modern Irish phenomenon of those who despise the catholic church yet somehow are at every available chance defending or downplaying the even worse inbuilt beliefs and habits in some other religions.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83420048&postcount=21

You also defended people shouting allah ackbar in a European airport and failed to see the irony of uttering a slogan associated with multiple massacres of innocent people in airports and transport situations around the world.

But shure that is alright, it could be worse someone could say they were going to see the pope. :rolleyes:

As much as I've often disagreed with seamus on a lot of things, I think the only person you've made look worse here is yourself for presenting a quote entirely out of context. To your credit you did link to it though, which is why I was able to determine that you're either taking it completely out of context, or you're pretending to misunderstand the subtleties of sarcasm and satirical comment.

It's an entirely consistent comment on Islam in line with seamus' view of Catholicism. It's really not an example of any inconsistency you were hoping to present.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yer man thinks he's Cato the Elder is my point!

Not comparing, militarily, what happened to Chartage.

anyway, i dont think there are many who want to see the destruction of the catholic church. Most would be happy if it stopped trying to interfere in the lives of those who dont believe. i know i certainly would. Oh and if the church insisted that its members (including the clergy) reported incidences of child sex abuse to the police that would be great. Perhaps declare it a sin or something. Just saying.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Ain't that the new liberalism, though? Antifa. Bomb and violence threats at speeches that may counter one's world view. Incitement to hatred on all available mediums. Utterly infantile hysteria. :rolleyes:

Yeah i'm sure asking nazis to stop being nazis is a tactic that is bound to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jmayo wrote: »
    I just thought I would leave some of your previous gems here, for comparison purposes.

You are a prime example of the modern Irish phenomenon of those who despise the catholic church yet somehow are at every available chance defending or downplaying the even worse inbuilt beliefs and habits in some other religions.
    Aw, scarleh for ye. You searched for my name and "Islam" and then quoted a post which meant the exact opposite of what you're claiming it means.

That's embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

I think it would be a great opportunity for the HSE Mental health services to engage with people suffering from delusions , not sure if they have the resources to do it properly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

verycool wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother going again, I heard it's all the same material. Only playing the hits from the first two albums.

He might drop "The Tombs in Tuam" and "It's just my finger child". Heard they don't get a great response from the crowd.

There'll also be a cameo appearance from that French priest with 'Hit my baby one more time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

I am going to visit the septic tank in Tuam and lay a bunch of flowers at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Yeah i'm sure asking nazis to stop being nazis is a tactic that is bound to work.

Oh goodness, that vacuous Nazi trope is so over-worked at this point that surely it is due for a long overdue retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thankfully I know 1800 people who may or may not be going. Perhaps some of them will need your 12 tickets too.

THank you, I had being booking 12 tickets at a time since yesterday, I am now just booking coaches. Much more efficient.

• Advertisement

I think it would be a great opportunity for the HSE Mental health services to engage with people suffering from delusions , not sure if they have the resources to do it properly though.

I don't think there's any need for the HSE Mental health services to engage with people ordering tickets they'll never use in a deluded attempt to spite people. They don't appear to be suffering, just deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Give us an example of how "You can buy your place in heaven with the RCC".

Go on. Tell us how it works.

Couldn't be that you're talking ignorant shite could it? :pac:

Because I can give you plenty of examples of Evangelicals from the US doing it blatantly and overtly. Surely you can explain to me how the RCC does it?

Frank already said he's giving out indulgences to anyone turning up to this family thing. That apparently wipes away all your sins to that point...
    So yeah, there ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think posters should stop giving pcuser any more oxygen. It's obvious, from his posts, that he's an immature and deeply sad little person. Perhaps if we all ignore him he'll find something else to sneer and jeer at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Are people really block-booking to stop others going and bring the numbers that can go down? That is truly pathetic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Maybe someone emailed the media outlets in the hopes of the story being covered and more people protesting :D

pcuser wrote: »
    Maybe someone emailed the media outlets in the hopes of the story being covered and more people protesting :D

they dont seem to have copped the ruse of booking for coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

From that IT article:

Businessman Declan Ganley tweeted “unintentionally, hard lefties show why when you make stuff ‘free’ it gets wasted by those with scant appreciation. Without price, you drive massive over consumption by abusers (and) detach supply from authentic demand. Even a nominal 1 euro would have stopped some of this.”

I understand that Ganley has actually changed his name by deed poll to "Businessman Declan Ganley" so they have to call him that, but I am not sure why the IT quotes his dopey free market bullsh!t in an article about the Pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Just quickly browsed over the last couple of pages, and it's good to see religion still bringing everyone together !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All your posts in this thread bang the same old boring 'Delinda est Chartago' message. Only in this case it's the Catholic Church instead of Chartage. Do you not get that persecution is the best way to keep an organisation alive?

Your banging the same old drum. No better than banging a Lambeg drum, and being full of hate.
    So worked up about what others think! Grow up, grow a pair and get a life.

Are we still in a post colonial popularity contest looking for pats on the back from other countries telling us how great and liberal we are!

Bloody hell you need to calm down.

I only posted in this thread yesterday for the first time. I'm not hassling anyone or calling for anything to be destroyed.

If you don't find our international image interesting that's fine but I do.

You sound incredibly angry, bitter and arrogant.

• Advertisement

I've no interest whatsoever in seeing the Pope, but at the same time, I have no respect for anyone who would actually go out of their way to ruin someone else's enjoyment of the event.

'Me, me, me, let's make this about me!' attitude strikes again.

they dont seem to have copped the ruse of booking for coaches.

I think they're actually well aware of what they're doing.

It's not like the idea is actually original or anything. It just makes demand for the event look more popular than it is. I know a number of people who have booked tickets just because they might want to go, keeping their options open, like parents who apply to all the schools in an area keeping their options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

smokingman wrote: »
    Frank already said he's giving out indulgences to anyone turning up to this family thing. That apparently wipes away all your sins to that point...
    So yeah, there ya go

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddd?

That proves the statement
    You can buy your place in heaven with the RCC
    how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

A wiseguy on liveline now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell you need to calm down.

I only posted in this thread yesterday for the first time. I'm not hassling anyone or calling for anything to be destroyed.

If you don't find our international image interesting that's fine but I do.

You sound incredibly angry, bitter and arrogant.

Perfectly relaxed. You're talking through your hoop.

International image! Lol! It's the type of BS which has us the lapdog of Europe.

Being socially progressive or conservative matters very little with regards to anything.

I suppose you voted Yes because you wanted to be hip with your Dutch pals, rather than concern for women?

I prefer people of substance rather than image. Our Leo with his PR gurus flitters from embracing the rainbow flag one day, to saying gay couples couldn't adopt a few years ago.

International image! What exactly is that anyway? America's probably isn't great at the moment but people will do business with them due to military power and wealth. We're small fry, so getting worked up about Euro camera crews doing interviews with elderly Catholics in Donegal shows how narrow your thinking is and how wound up you are with your anti Catholic agenda.

Any self respecting Aethist couldn't care less if the pope was coming or know when. He/she wouldn't be buying tickets and booking buses like a Junior Cert with too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

As a Catholic, I would like to go but I'm not in country at the time. I'm aware that this is not the "cool" thing to do in this country anymore, but I have retained my faith and have lived in a parish that has been blessed with some fantastic priests down through the years. I will admit to being somewhat saddened by the attitude to this visit by some posters here. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be a celebration of the family. I think that point has been a little bit lost in the whole debate.

Our Leo with his PR gurus flitters from embracing the rainbow flag one day, to saying gay couples couldn't adopt a few years ago.

Whoa, Leo can travel back in time? Cool!

At the end of the day, this is supposed to be a celebration of the family.

I think celibate men in skirts are not the folks to talk to us about family.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think celibate men in skirts are not the folks to talk to us about family.
    Well now they are self declared celibate.
    But as we've seen in the past that isnt always the case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

At the end of the day, this is supposed to be a celebration of the family. I think that point has been a little bit lost in the whole debate.

At the end of the day, the treatment of any family that didn't fit the traditional model by a catholic-dominated Irish society in days gone by means I'd take any 'celebration of the family' by the church with a pinch of salt and be giving it a wide berth.

Advertisement