Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

I would go to see him if he visited Tuam or some of the mother and baby homes,or I would like to witness him handing over the many documents in the churches possession which are needed by so many for closure.........I have more chance of seeing Elvis perform live unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some people on this thread don't seem to realise that by ordering tickets as some form of protest that it's ordinary people who just want to see they pope and are probably looking forward to the day that they are getting at instead of the man himself.

These people had nothing to do with the abuse that went on, they are just ordinary Catholics.
    If there were free tickets on offer for a Gary Glitter concert, would you be as critical of people snapping them up and binning them to make a statement?

Now, of course Frankie is a step removed, he's not a paedophile. But he is the ultimate representative of an organisation which has caused and continues to cause a lot of suffering and stir up a lot of hatred through its teachings and activities.

It is unashamedly mysogynistic, homophobic and anti-democratic.

Some people don't seem to get, that going to see the Pope makes you complicit in its evils by actively supporting the organisation.

So, fnck the "ordinary Catholics" who are going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not a hope would I subject myself to what is basically a super long mass

I think binning tickets is spot on to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Good man. Fair play to you. At least you achieved something in your life this year. You can take the rest of the year off now

I've achieved lots and more to achieve. Stopping a few idiots from idolising a the leader of an organisation that saw children as prey is something I'm happy to do.

Sad

Your opinion, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I've achieved lots and more to achieve. Stopping a few idiots from idolising a the leader of an organisation that saw children as prey is something I'm happy to do.

You're a hero. :pac:

All you are trying to do is to stop people from having a day out.

And you know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

seamus wrote: »
    You seem to have very strong feelings on this Murray.

I see no issue with this kind of protest tbh. It's legal, peaceful and ethical. And it makes a statement.

You want a legal peaceful protest, then join one of the various protest groups that are likely to be organised that weekend, and make an effort.

The people attending are making an effort, by having to be in The Phoenix Park are about three hours before, and three hours after.

I'm sure the TV won't pick up on the difference between 499,000 people, and 500,000 people in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

You're a hero. :pac:

And you know it

a day out? To fawn and cheer for the man who has made it to the top of a corrupt criminal organisation? Come off it.

ELM327 wrote: »
    All this is just another example of why so many of us will be peacefully protesting the arrival of the head of nambla

Because Sour Lemonz was an ugly child and is now obsessed with paedos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If there were free tickets on offer for a Gary Glitter concert, would you be as critical of people snapping them up and binning them to make a statement?

Now, of course Frankie is a step removed, he's not a paedophile. But he is the ultimate representative of an organisation which has caused and continues to cause a lot of suffering and stir up a lot of hatred through its teachings and activities.

It is unashamedly mysogynistic, homophobic and anti-democratic.

Some people don't seem to get, that going to see the Pope makes you complicit in its evils by actively supporting the organisation.

You could say the same about the muslim religion, if anything it's views would be seen as even less tolerant.

So come on seamie, let's see you say fuck ordinary muslims, it's just a religion after all..

He is wanting exchanging tickets for 'donations' id say he is a political ticket tout.

No, no donations solicited or wanted. Just got myself another 8 tickets using my friends email address. 12 empty seats and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No, no donations solicited or wanted. Just got myself another 8 tickets using my friends email address. 12 empty seats and counting.

So your admitting, freely your taking tickets to prevent others from going. Cheers for that.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

There was another cult in the US of A that wore white robes and funny hats, they werent too popular for their beliefs, nor is the catholic church.

The only cult should should be allowed, if The Cult.

Because Sour Lemonz was an ugly child and is now obsessed with paedos?

More time defending the cultist leader and less time about my appearance.

My ugliness may or may not be fact and certainly not sponsored by loreal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Peadophile
    Resident
    In
    Every
    Small
    Town

40 more orders through various alias'. Anyone for free toilet paper, it will be a bit rough, like the church :pac::pac::pac:

That you thought that up is an achievement:eek:

optogirl wrote: »
    a day out? To fawn and cheer for the man who has made it to the top of a corrupt criminal organisation? Come off it.

9/11 was an inside job?

You could say the same about the muslim religion, if anything it's views would be seen as even less tolerant.

So come on seamie, let's see you say fuck ordinary muslims, it's just a religion after all..

Don't forget about the lizard people controlling the world. Lets say fuck the Jews too? If any high-profile Rabbi comes to speak in Ireland, lets make sure those pesky Jews can't attend

You're a hero.
    Nope

Not stopping anyone having a day out, just making sure there will be a few less idolising idiots in the park.
    And you know it

Of course I know it. ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

9/11 was an inside job?

Don't forget about the lizard people controlling the world. Lets say fuck the Jews too? If any high-profile Rabbi comes to speak in Ireland, lets make sure those pesky Jews can't attend

how many of those covered up institutional child sex abuse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Jayzus (:pac:) this thread went downhill fast

There was another cult in the US of A that wore white robes and funny hats, they werent too popular for their beliefs, nor is the catholic church.

The only cult should should be allowed, if The Cult.

KKK?

Ironic analogy

Yeah, just like yourself, they tried to deny rights to people who were Catholic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wexie wrote: »
    Jayzus (:pac:) this thread went downhill fast

Never expected it to be up in fairness.

Probably around the same amount as those whom you would seek to prevent from having their day out.

Given that you think the Catholic Church is a criminal organization, and others equally think that Jews control the world, surely their reasoning for preventing Jews from attending a Rabbi even would be as legitimate as your reasoning?

Unless you think it is possible that you could pick a random sample of a billion people from around the world and expect everyone within that sample to be a saint?

The ordinary people attending the event covered up nothing yet seamus says fuck ordinary catholics, do you agree with him?

A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ah it's not. What is it a protest against? Will you be able to look at each empty space and say why that person did not come?

It's just lazy arseholes

If you want to protest, go make up a banner and stand outside the event.

It's just about denying something to someone else that might make the other person happy.

The only valid protest related to tickets is not to attend if you don't want to.

Have you ever heard of a sit-in? It's the same kind of principle. As to what it's a protest against, I would have thought that was obvious - it's a protest against a visit to our country by the head of an evil, twisted organisation which has caused untold misery and pain to millions of people all over the world.

• Advertisement

Sure, I'd have no issue saying that. Just point me at the head of the muslim church and the list of things that church has done and not atoned for.

Catholicism of course being a sub-sect of Christianity, has an organisation with a titular head. An organisation which has directed and perpetrated many evils in this world.

Thus protest efforts can be far more meaningfully directed.

Have you ever heard of a sit-in? It's the same kind of principle. As to what it's a protest against, I would have thought that was obvious - it's a protest against a visit to our country by the head of an evil, twisted organisation which has caused untold misery and pain to millions of people all over the world.

How is it the same.

Just a load of sad case lazy internet keyboard warriors registering fake details on some website in the hope of denying something to someone else

If they want to protest, go ahead and go along on the day.

Again, on the "evil twisted organization". It's analagous to a theory or belief that the "lizard people are responsible for all the wars" and acting accordingly

If all tickets are taken and the place is half empty it will be explained away as gobshites registering for tickets. Whereas if only half the tickets were taken up in the first place then I would think that that would be a more effective protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

it's a protest against a visit to our country by the head of an evil, twisted organisation which has caused untold misery and pain to millions of people all over the world.

But we elected Gerry Adams to the Dail? :confused:

Surely the same standards apply?

So your admitting, freely your taking tickets to prevent others from going. Cheers for that.

Isn't that obvious? Not sure what point you've made

How is it the same.

Just a load of sad case lazy internet keyboard warriors registering fake details on some website in the hope of denying something to someone else

If they want to protest, go ahead and go along on the day.

Again, on the "evil twisted organization". It's analagous to a theory or belief that the "lizard people are responsible for all the wars" and acting accordingly

Denying those sickos audience members is far more effective than actually protesting at the event.

You should know, at your inauguration you have to photo shop folks into the font of whitehouse to show "true" volume of supporters due to fake news. The reality was the tumble weeds had a day out :rolleyes::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Denying those sickos audience members is far more effective than actually protesting at the event.

You should know, at your inauguration you have to photo shop folks into the font of whitehouse to show "true" volume of supporters due to fake news. The reality was the timble weeds had a day out :rolleyes::pac::pac:

Not sure what a timble weed is supposed to be

The ordinary people attending the event covered up nothing yet seamus says fuck ordinary catholics, do you agree with him?

A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

why are you asking me about somebody elses comment? ask them. do you have a comment on what i posted?

Probably around the same amount as those whom you would seek to prevent from having their day out.

Given that you think the Catholic Church is a criminal organization, and others equally think that Jews control the world, surely their reasoning for preventing Jews from attending a Rabbi even would be as legitimate as your reasoning?

Unless you think it is possible that you could pick a random sample of a billion people from around the world and expect everyone within that sample to be a saint?

well given that one is well established and the other is a conspiracy theory loved by nutters i cant see what you are getting at. I have made no comment on individual catholics.

well given that one is well established and the other is a conspiracy theory loved by nutters i cant see what you are getting at. I have made no comment on individual catholics.

Google is your friend. Google "Rabbi abuse cover up" or similar variant. You will get many many hits.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/police-not-told-of-abuse-claim-rabbi-20130302-2fdd2.html

So to repeat my question, if a high-profile Rabbi now comes to Ireland, is it ok if we all gang together to prevent Jews from obtaining tickets to see him

Sure, I'd have no issue saying that. Just point me at the head of the muslim church and the list of things that church has done and not atoned for.

Catholicism of course being a sub-sect of Christianity, has an organisation with a titular head. An organisation which has directed and perpetrated many evils in this world.

Thus protest efforts can be far more meaningfully directed.

Except your comment wasn't just directed at the head of the church, it was at ordinary people who just want to go to see the man, they are no different to ordinary muslims which you guys on the left say day in day out are decent people.

Yet you say fuck ordinary catholics, your words not mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are you nuts? Oh and BTW , fnck you too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So to repeat my question, if a high-profile Rabbi now comes to Ireland, is it ok if we all gang together to prevent Jews from obtaining tickets to see him

What this angle you're going with? When did Judaism or Rabbis or Jews cause massive widespread institutional abuse and subsequent cover ups in this country? It's really not comparing like with like.

Except your comment wasn't just directed at the head of the church, it was at ordinary people who just want to go to see the man, they are no different to ordinary muslims which you guys on the left say day in day out are decent people.

Yet you say fuck ordinary catholics, your words not mine.
    My comment was directed at people who would go and support the organisation.

Fun fact: You can be a Catholic and not consider the Pope your supreme leader, and not be a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

Shocking, I know, that you can keep your religion and not support a horrible organisation.

I'm under no illusion that the ordinary people you refer to are perfectly nice people who just want to go see the Pope. But I'm not going to shed any tears about them missing out. Fnck 'em.

If an Ayatollah or similar sh1tehawk was to hold a similar event, I would also say "Fnck 'em" about the "ordinary Muslims" who would miss out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The venom towards the Church is absolutely incredible in this thread. By this thread he is wasting his time and he is a good man too from what I have seen. Probably the best Pope we will see this century.

Google is your friend. Google "Rabbi abuse cover up" or similar variant. You will get many many hits.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/police-not-told-of-abuse-claim-rabbi-20130302-2fdd2.html

If that guy comes, then sure. But there is no institution in judaism in to protest against. No overriding organisation. We do have such an origanisation in catholicism. An organisation that was complicit in the coverup and facilitation of child sex abuse. So i have no issue with people protesting against them.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    What this angle you're going with? When did Judaism or Rabbis or Jews cause massive widespread institutional abuse and subsequent cover ups in this country? It's really not comparing like with like.

I'm just trying to find out where people stand on the principles of the matter.

Seems to be that abuse of children happened -> fuck Catholics and it's grand to try to prevent them from doing something that they'd like to do.

I'm seeing whether the same logic applies to Jews

I picked Jews because people tend to be touchy about that topic due to stigma of being labelled anti-Semitic.

Surely you can tell the differences between a crime committed by a person who happens to be of a religion, and the actual religion?

If you're point is "well there weren't enough Jews abused in this jurisdiction" - i.e. it's grand if they only did it in other countries - then I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Surely you have to be consistent on your principles in order to prevail in your argument? Else you just have a hodge-podge of incoherent statements to fit the most recent question you were posed

Taytoland wrote:
    he is a good man too from what I have seen. Probably the best Pope we will see this century.

A lot of abuse survivors in Chile I suspect would disagree with your comment.

If that guy comes, then sure. But there is no institution in judaism in to protest against. No overriding organisation. We do have such an origanisation in catholicism. An organisation that was complicit in the coverup and facilitation of child sex abuse. So i have no issue with people protesting against them.

Bullshit

Bullshit

any chance of an intelligent response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Taytoland wrote: »
    The venom towards the Church is absolutely incredible in this thread. By this thread he is wasting his time and he is a good man too from what I have seen. Probably the best Pope we will see this century.

These threads always bring out the true hatred
    and colours in those proclaiming to be all tolerant and secularist.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Surely you can tell the differences between a crime committed by a person who happens to be of a religion, and the actual religion?

The latter is definitely what happened here though. It was institutional abuses by branches of an organisation. Pope Francis is head of that organisation. Now, by all accounts he seems to be a decent man but he's the head of the RCC so that's why the ire goes his way. I wouldn't bother my balls protesting anything myself but I can see why others would.

Taytoland wrote:
    he is a good man too from what I have seen. Probably the best Pope we will see this century.

A lot of abuse survivors in Chile I suspect would disagree with your comment.

I would usually be the last person to defend the Catholic Church or the Pope but a lot of Catholics will want to go and see the Pope. This attitude in the Irish Republic against Catholics right now is very odd. It's almost as if they are allowed to exist (barely!) but can't be seen as that would be unacceptable.

It's not fine for the Pope to be invited but Obama was welcomed with open arms while bombing the hell out of children with drones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

yawn, yawn, yawn......

yeah yawn yawn yawn, dismiss his sense and facts ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I would usually be the last person to defend the Catholic Church or the Pope but a lot of Catholics will want to go and see the Pope. This attitude in the Irish Republic against Catholics right now is very odd. It's almost as if they are allowed to exist (barely!) but can't be seen as that would be unacceptable.

It's not fine for the Pope to be invited but Obama was welcomed with open arms while bombing the hell out of children with drones.

This gets thrown out all the time.

Care to back it up with anything solid?

The pope will also be welcomed with open arms by officials and believers so I don't see your point.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

These gets thrown out all the time.

Care to back it up with anything solid?

The pope will also be welcomed with open arms by officials and believers so I don't see your point.
    Not if this thread is anything to go by. Talk of people buying up tickets to spoil it for Catholics wanting to see him. Spiteful Marxists in action.

Advertisement