Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues at malahide with DARTs

Options
  • 16-06-2018 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what's happening with the DARTs at malahide? There seems to be issues with people "trapped" on trains and Irish rail asking people not to open doors and get off trains .

Anyone aware of what's happening?

A lot of angry people on twitter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

How's it causing disruption so late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Stephen15 wrote:
    How's it causing disruption so late at night.

There was meant to be services for after the Liam Gallagher concert at malahide castle .

Train broke down.

People on that train got off and started walking the tracks.

Meanwhile disruption to trains heading northbound after the Taylor swift concert.

Someone living beside portmarnock station tweeted to Irish rail that there were large numbers walking the tracks , Irish rail replied that trains are operating at significantly reduced speeds because of this.

Gardai are also attending the situation

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Apparently there was very poor communication and a lack of proper announcements according to a few people on twitter. Not exactly surprised to hear that though.

I was in London last week during tube disruption and the difference between that and Irish rail communication is world's apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

devnull wrote: »
    Apparently there was very poor communication and a lack of proper announcements according to a few people on twitter. Not exactly surprised to hear that though.

I was in London last week during tube disruption and the difference between that and Irish rail communication is world's apart.

I thought that Irish Rail's Barry Kenny was the top man in the PR world - at least Ciara Kelly, Hook and Newstalk think so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

thomasj wrote: »
    There was meant to be services for after the Liam Gallagher concert at malahide castle .

Train broke down.

People on that train got off and started walking the tracks.

Meanwhile disruption to trains heading northbound after the Taylor swift concert.

Someone living beside portmarnock station tweeted to Irish rail that there were large numbers walking the tracks , Irish rail replied that trains are operating at significantly reduced speeds because of this.

Gardai are also attending the situation

The train didn't break down until the fools and inbreds started acting the maggot with the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I was on the second train, the one which stopped between Portmarnock and Malahide station, it was packed and stopped for 45minutes with no announcements before we(almost everyone) got off and walked to Portmarnock, there was hundreds walking the track, it was so poorly handled by Irish Rail. in the 20mins it took to walk the 1st "damaged" train was still blocking the line in Portmarnock, the people walking only took 15-20mins max which obviously would have delayed the northbound services, we actually did them a favour by walking because at least they then had an empty train to pickup the people who waited and had to get off the "Damaged train"

The rumors we were hearing last night was that a fight broke out on the 1st train which was parked up in Portmarnock and they were waiting on the guards to arrive, we were wondering were the passengers locked on this train in which case I'm not surprised doors got damaged if they were. If a door was damaged and that's why it was stopped, they should have emptied that carriage and informed them in Malahide to keep one carriage empty on the next train, but instead they made no announcements and just trapped people on the train.

The trains were overfull and they hadn't enough staff to handle the crowds, it was a total joke.

I was on the second train, the one which stopped between Portmarnock and Malahide station, it was packed and stopped for 45minutes with no announcements before we(almost everyone) got off and walked to Portmarnock, there was hundreds walking the track, it was so poorly handled by Irish Rail. in the 20mins it took to walk the 1st "damaged" train was still blocking the line in Portmarnock, the people walking only took 15-20mins max which obviously would have delayed the northbound services, we actually did them a favour by walking because at least they then had an empty train to pickup the people who waited and had to get off the "Damaged train"

The rumors we were hearing last night was that a fight broke out on the 1st train which was parked up in Portmarnock and they were waiting on the guards to arrive, we were wondering were the passengers locked on this train in which case I'm not surprised doors got damaged if they were. If a door was damaged and that's why it was stopped, they should have emptied that carriage and informed them in Malahide to keep one carriage empty on the next train, but instead they made no announcements and just trapped people on the train.

The trains were overfull and they hadn't enough staff to handle the crowds, it was a total joke.

Anyone who got off and walked the tracks were idiots and a cause of the delays.

Irish Rail are abysmal with their communication though.

Every single time one of these situations happen that always comes through loud and clear and it's far easier to blame other people for their actions than try and prevent them happening in the first place.

I've been on trains that are stranded in many places over the last 10 years and it's no co-incidence that the ones I've been on that have been calm have been those with communication and the ones where people turn around and start doing things such as apparently happened last night, are where there has been no communication.

Pointing the finger at the passengers and saying it is all their fault and viewing communication with passengers during an incident is optional is laughable but says what we already know - passengers are an inconvenience to Irish Rail that they must tolerate but would rather they didn't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Anyone who got off and walked the tracks were idiots and a cause of the delays.

I disagree.
    Having been the victim of a lack of communication from Irish rail I think the more people do this and the more disruption they cause they because of the this the better. It should make Irish rail up their game with regards to communication.
    Long may this"disruption" continue.

yesto24 wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Having been the victim of a lack of communication from Irish rail I think the more people do this and the more disruption they cause they because of the this the better. It should make Irish rail up their game with regards to communication.

Unfortunately if Irish Rail haven't learnt from past incidents or changed their approach or issued new operational procedures that mean staff must keep passenger informed, I doubt they are going to change now.

Many operators in the UK for instance have it in their customer charter that if a train is stopped for a certain period staff are required to make announcements and that the staff are required to do this as part of their job. Irish Rail could do the same tomorrow if they really wanted.

But the attitude I've seen in relation to these matters before here is why should IR take steps to prevent the situation re-occuring when you can let it happen over and over again and just point the finger at someone else. Finding someone else to blame seems far more important than prevention in these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

This thing with people self evacuating/detraining is a recent trend. Completely unheard of 10 years ago here and in the UK.

The problem is not lack of communication.

The problem is society nowadays. Everyone is impatient and thinks they know best. Even if there had been an announcement, impatient people would have still retrained.

I was stuck on a train in the UK that had caught fire for 2 hours years ago. It was a bit smokey and there was no announcements as all the power had been cut, but people sat tight and didn't complain or try to jump off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I disagree.

So you think people should detrain every time there is a delay? Thats fine until people get killed by a passing train.

This is another problem with modern society. Few think about the consequences of their actions. If something happens it is always someone elses fault.

Irish Rail are abysmal with their communication though.

Every single time one of these situations happen that always comes through loud and clear and it's far easier to blame other people for their actions than try and prevent them happening in the first place.

I've been on trains that are stranded in many places over the last 10 years and it's no co-incidence that the ones I've been on that have been calm have been those with communication and the ones where people turn around and start doing things such as apparently happened last night, are where there has been no communication.

Pointing the finger at the passengers and saying it is all their fault and viewing communication with passengers during an incident is optional is laughable but says what we already know - passengers are an inconvenience to Irish Rail that they must tolerate but would rather they didn't have to.

It was the passengers who caused the delays, nobody else to blame.. Announcements would have been made and the only person able to do it on a train would have been out checking the train. What did you expect them to do, get the driver to walk through a train full of drunk people acting the maggot and inform them that they are the ones causing the delay.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The problem is not lack of communication. The problem is society nowadays. Everyone is impatient and thinks they know best. Even if there had been an announcement, impatient people would have still retrained.

Whether you think that the lack of communication is a problem or not, that still doesn't mean that no communication at all is acceptable. Caring about other people and reassuring them is very important in situations of panic. As I said it's in many rail operators charter that they have to do this. Why not Irish Rails?

I'm not saying it will reassure everyone but it will help and instead we'd be having a discussion about how staff did all they could but it still happened, rather than the fact that they didn't even try too much to prevent things to happen the way that we did.

Next time there is a serious accident, why don't we just say it's because someone was impatient and it's a problem with society instead of analysing why people did it and how we can make it less likely to happen in the future. That could be the difference between life and death.

That's why when there are major aviation accidents for instance they look at human factors as well as everything that led to the end result, rather than just blaming at the end result.
    I was stuck on a train in the UK that had caught fire for 2 hours years ago. It was a bit smokey and there was no announcements as all the power had been cut, but people sat tight and didn't complain or try to jump off.

You sat on a train for two hours that caught fire and people just sat tight like nothing had happened? I'm sorry but I don't believe that, because in situations like that people will panic, I've seen it first hand because that is simply human nature. Reassurance is important and can help to calm people down.

As I've said before, I've been on trains when people have been in somewhat of a panic, and being kept informed has calmed them down somewhat. The only time I have seen people do things which are less than desirable has been when communication is bad.

I disagree.

It would be an even longer delay if someone gets a bang of a train because they forced a trains door open and walked the tracks..

It was the passengers who caused the delays, nobody else to blame.. Announcements would have been made and the only person able to do it on a train would have been out checking the train.

You say they would have been made but all of the reports I've seen about this situation don't suggest that - they stated that communication was essentially non existent and that's backed up by Rail Users Ireland as well.

https://twitter.com/RailUsersIe/status/1007917381480566784
    What did you expect them to do, get the driver to walk through a train full of drunk people acting the maggot and inform them that they are the ones causing the delay.

No need to walk through the train - I wouldn't do that myself - but they can still make announcements through the PA system. If it doesn't work then really that's something that maintenance should be dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

prinzeugen wrote: »
    So you think people should detrain every time there is a delay? Thats fine until people get killed by a passing train.

This is another problem with modern society. Few think about the consequences of their actions. If something happens it is always someone elses fault.

If you're going to be stuck on a commuter train where the delay could be an hour plus, within spitting distance of a station, then of course the passengers should be detrained.

Unfortunately if Irish Rail haven't learnt from past incidents or changed their approach or issued new operational procedures that mean staff must keep passenger informed, I doubt they are going to change now.

Many operators in the UK for instance have it in their customer charter that if a train is stopped for a certain period staff are required to make announcements and that the staff are required to do this as part of their job. Irish Rail could do the same tomorrow if they really wanted.

But the attitude I've seen in relation to these matters before here is why should IR take steps to prevent the situation re-occuring when you can let it happen over and over again and just point the finger at someone else. Finding someone else to blame seems far more important than prevention in these cases.

How would you have made the announcements if you was out checking the doors of a train?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

How would you have made the announcements if you was out checking the doors of a train?

You make the announcement before you leave the cab to check the doors. Perhaps give an update announcement when you get back?

It would be an even longer delay if someone gets a bang of a train because they forced a trains door open and walked the tracks..

That's why you do all you can to reduce the likeliness that someone will do that by doing your best to stop the chain of events before they get that far.

Simply blaming a mistake someone made at the end of a long chain of events is a very dangerous culture to have when it comes to safety, since it shows that there is no focus on preventing the same issues happening again and again because it's easier to blame someone else for everything.

You make the announcement before you check the doors? Fairly common sense I would have thought.

But I guess they're just passengers, they don't matter too much.

You say they would have been made but all of the reports I've seen about this situation don't suggest that - they stated that communication was essentially non existent and that's backed up by Rail Users Ireland as well.

https://twitter.com/RailUsersIe/status/1007917381480566784

No need to walk through the train - I wouldn't do that myself - but they can still make announcements through the PA system. If it doesn't work then really that's something that maintenance should be dealing with.

That's like saying that it was backed up by someone on boards.ie
    How much noise do you think may have been on those packed trains? How many would even pay attention to any announcements? It can't be non existent if the twitter feed was going on overdrive.

You make the announcement before you check the doors?

I'd say that was the first thing that was done before the driver had to check 8 carriages. Whilst he was doing this some goons decided that they weren't waiting and forced the closed doors open and walked the track which esculated the problem. Did you want the driver to go after them to make another announcement?

That's like saying that it was backed up by someone on boards.ie

As far as I'm aware Rail Users Ireland is a Rail Users Organisation and the people who are involved in it are publicly named on their website using their real names rather than using an alias on Boards.ie so I wouldn't necessarily agree that it was the same since honestly.
    How much noise do you think may have been on those packed trains? How many would even pay attention to any announcements? It can't be non existent if the twitter feed was going on overdrive.

When an incident like this happens, Irish Rail should be providing the information to the people on the train. They should not have to go on Twitter to find out. The simple fact is there have been several reports of lack of communication and however much you try to deflect that in a way that a certain PR spokesman does, there is no getting away from it.

You make the announcement before you check the doors? Fairly common sense I would have thought.

But I guess they're just passengers, they don't matter too much.

Those that forced the doors open and walked the tracks were idiots not passengers. They caused the delay but somehow your sole issue isn't with them but an announcement.

That's why you do all you can to reduce the likeliness that someone will do that by doing your best to stop the chain of events before they get that far.

Simply blaming a mistake someone made at the end of a long chain of events is a very dangerous culture to have when it comes to safety, since it shows that there is no focus on preventing the same issues happening again and again because it's easier to blame someone else for everything.

Idiots and drink don't mix, make them get the bus next time.

I'd say that was the first thing that was done before the driver had to check 8 carriages.

Well you'd say, but there are accounts from a Rail Users organisation suggesting otherwise and numerous other reports of a lack of other communication and pretty much nothing to back up any point of view to the contrary.

Come on, both of us know that maybe people were drunk and didn't act the best way, but you know that Irish Rail are hopeless at handling communication, it's nothing new to anyone who commutes with them regularly. The 5 day a week commuter knows how it is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd agree their communication leaves a lot to be desired. I remember having to resort to Twitter to find out what was going on on a delayed intercity train on more than one occasion.

Advertisement