Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about Walsh Park?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »
    Any other details?

The rumours are a msssive improvement as to what is there currently.

Opposite the stand terrace with roof. Talks of dressing rooms being placed at the town end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

914 wrote: »
    Any other details?

The rumours are a msssive improvement as to what is there currently.

Opposite the stand terrace with roof. Talks of dressing rooms being placed at the town end.
    I've heard this but it still all sounds a bit underwhelming.....

They've said that the terracing will be done in a way that will eventually allow for seating. No detailed plans yet though? It's not the Taj Mahal they are designing like...

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Can we not just hand it over to the sheiks?
    Can we hand your over to the Sheiks?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Would the land behind the Yellow House suit for a stadium, in where the old Cash and Carry building is? Looks to be plenty of room, could tie in somehow with the RSC and there also isn’t many people that would be put out by it in terms of houses and neighbours.

fricatus wrote: »
    It now looks as if the Waterford senior hurlers will have to play their "home" matches in Limerick and Thurles because Walsh Park is not up to the task.

These seem to be the options:

1. Redevelop Walsh Park
    Advantages: tradition, location. Disadvantages: tight site, parking (although in reality, there's plenty of parking within 15-20 minutes' walking distance)

2. Develop Fraher Field
    Advantages: easier travel for those from the West of the county, plenty of space. Disadvantages: major GAA matches lost to the city, further to travel for the 70% of the county population who live east of Portlaw

3. Carriganore
    Advantages: accessible location, parking, east-west compromise, plenty of space. Disadvantages: no atmosphere in city on big match days, no public transport option, may not fit in with WIT's plans as the site (I believe) is not owned by the GAA.

4. Old Waterford Crystal site
    Advantages: space, accessible location, possibility for on-site parking, close to old Walsh Park. Disadvantages: The owner may be more interested in developing a business park, per existing plans.

5. Waterside
    Advantages: city-centre location, buzz on match days, close to pubs, restaurants and city-centre parking, council-owned I believe. Disadvantages: would need to remove car park entirely and would probably involve relocating part of the Johnstown business centre, congestion on match days, residents might object

I took a look on Google Maps and compared the footprint of Semple Stadium (ours won't need to be bigger...) with that of the Waterside site, and I reckon it would fit. To me, that's the "vision option". Unless we go for a greenfield site elsewhere, there are no other sites in the city that would be big enough.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

The area in the pic

cococoady wrote: »
    Would the land behind the Yellow House suit for a stadium, in where the old Cash and Carry building is? Looks to be plenty of room, could tie in somehow with the RSC and there also isn’t many people that would be put out by it in terms of houses and neighbours.

• Advertisement

cococoady wrote: »
    The area in the pic

Has the owner of waterford fc not purchased all that land. That was the word going around a while ago.

Either way the county board has stated that walsh park is the only proposal on the table.

Talk of moving is only fantasy talk at this stage. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

A stepped terrace on the side / two steep grand stands behind each goal is as much as is going to happen. Budget and timelines are gonna be limited I don't imagine it will be pretty but if they get a 19000 capacity stadium it's all they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dzilla wrote: »
    A stepped terrace on the side / two steep grand stands behind each goal is as much as is going to happen. Budget and timelines are gonna be limited I don't imagine it will be pretty but if they get a 19000 capacity stadium it's all they need.

tbh they need to dump all those benches in the so called stand put in bucket seats

Were in 1b in the league next season so Dungarvan would prob suite some matches as the crowds will not be as big. If they start work this summer it could all be done by April 2019

PTH2009 wrote: »

tbh they need to dump all those benches in the so called stand put in bucket seats

Were in 1b in the league next season so Dungarvan would prob suite some matches as the crowds will not be as big. If they start work this summer it could all be done by April 2019

October 2019 the county board are saying. They are talking about the lengthy planning process but from what I see, they dont even have any plans to begin submitting planning permission...

October 2019 the county board are saying. They are talking about the lengthy planning process but from what I see, they dont even have any plans to begin submitting planning permission...

they really cant organise a piss up in a brewery :mad::mad:

so for championship 2018 and 2019 we have to play away from home for all our group games

• Advertisement

they really cant organise a piss up in a brewery :mad::mad:

so for championship 2018 and 2019 we have to play away from home for all our group games

Yes we will have two championships of not being able to play at home.

Bucket seats are planned for the stand. The wall at keanes road is due to come down soon as well.

It can be contradicting listening to paddy joe. One monent he is saying plans are ready and they have shown the clubs then he is saying plans have to be finalised and should be completed soon.

At this stage I would like to see plans and get the ball rolling on the development. This saga has dragged on since last year and we were also told that advanced negotiations have taken place between our county board and munster/central council over the past two years.

I would have expected to see plans by now.

Yes we will have two championships of not being able to play at home.

Bucket seats are planned for the stand. The wall at keanes road is due to come down soon as well.

It can be contradicting listening to paddy joe. One monent he is saying plans are ready and they have shown the clubs then he is saying plans have to be finalised and should be completed soon.

At this stage I would like to see plans and get the ball rolling on the development. This saga has dragged on since last year and we were also told that advanced negotiations have taken place between our county board and munster/central council over the past two years.

I would have expected to see plans by now.

Wall at keanes road is being demolished today I believe. Serious bug bearer they have not released drawings to the public yet if they have them

Wall at keanes road is being demolished today I believe. Serious bug bearer they have not released drawings to the public yet if they have them

Yep your right saw them working on it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0411/953609-st-pats-unveil-proposal-for-new-12-000-seater-stadium/

From the county that just doesn't stop developing!

Maybe I'm just missing something here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe you're missing that Walsh Park isn't a soccer stadium in Dublin?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0411/953609-st-pats-unveil-proposal-for-new-12-000-seater-stadium/

From the county that just doesn't stop developing!

Maybe I'm just missing something here!!!

I'm also missing something, what does this have to do with Walsh Park?

I'm also missing something, what does this have to do with Walsh Park?

A League of Ireland club has more foresight and ambition than the 'might'
    of a GAA county such as Waterford! It's just a joke of a situation!

Which in your opinion carries more financial clout, the GAA or St. Pats?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A League of Ireland club has more foresight and ambition than the 'might'
    of a GAA county such as Waterford! It's just a joke of a situation!

Which in your opinion carries more financial clout, the GAA or St. Pats?

At the very least compare like with like ......

GAA & FAI

not GAA & St. Pats!

At the very least compare like with like ......

GAA & FAI

not GAA & St. Pats!

Does it really make any difference?
    The very fact that a League of Ireland club has gone down this avenue
    and we haven't or won't is just incredible!

• Advertisement

Does it really make any difference?
    The very fact that a League of Ireland club has gone down this avenue
    and we haven't or won't is just incredible!

How much is St Pats 12k stadium costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

How much is St Pats 12k stadium costing?

That's the main question alright 914..I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of anything quiet fella says, his comments tend to be so simplistic they're downright idiotic comments..if Waterford built a 12000 seater, he'd be complaining of no vision and cite spurs or Dallas cowboys new stadiums probably.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/st-patrick-s-athletic-to-unveil-plan-for-a-new-12-000-seater-stadium-1.3457504

The hope is build a 12,000 seat stadium, all covered, that would include a substantial retail element and 350 car parking spaces. The plan is to primarily cover the cost of the new ground through the retail element although the consortium is planning to bid for the entirety of what it anticipates being a contract for a far wider development potentially to include housing and civic amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Ah yes, yet another sports stadium that will pay for itself through retail or conferences or concerts or anything other than sport. Don't let the fact that such a plan has never succeeded in the history of the world stop anyone using it as a stick with which to beat the County Board.

When were in Thurles/Croke Park/Limerick we prob walk the equlaivent of the Quay/JR Square to Walsh park

ATM we dont have the pubs/restraunts around Walsh Park that would cater for a huge championship crowd. Ballybricken/Barrck Street and around Lisduggan would be the hubs and the places there are nothing speical

When were in Thurles/Croke Park/Limerick we prob walk the equlaivent of the Quay/JR Square to Walsh park

ATM we dont have the pubs/restraunts around Walsh Park that would cater for a huge championship crowd. Ballybricken/Barrck Street and around Lisduggan would be the hubs and the places there are nothing speical

Plenty of pubs in the area.

Norrisses
    Barrack Street
    Park Inn
    Mount Sion Center
    Ruan Mor Center

And regarding parking, I think when you take into account The RSC / Woodies Carpark / Lisduggan car park / park and ride from carraiganore it is ample.

I have never gone to a game in Thurles or elsewhere and parked up next to the stadium. Usually had to walk 40 minutes.

Norrisses
    Barrack Street
    Park Inn
    Mount Sion Center
    Ruan Mor Center

And regarding parking, I think when you take into account The RSC / Woodies Carpark / Lisduggan car park / park and ride from carraiganore it is ample.

I have never gone to a game in Thurles or elsewhere and parked up next to the stadium. Usually had to walk 40 minutes.

Also worth mentioning the car parks on the Quays, Bolton Street and Millars Marsh are only a 20 minutes walk to walsh Park.

Use the applemarket as a fan zone, plenty options for pub and restaurants.

To add to parking, WIT, Old waterford Crystal factory and crystal sports, St Pauls primary and secondary. Plenty parking

Adding to the pubs near walsh park.

Crannog
    Paddy browns
    Rice guest house.
    Kitty kierans
    Doyles

Norrisses
    Barrack Street
    Park Inn
    Mount Sion Center
    Ruan Mor Center

Also worth mentioning the car parks on the Quays, Bolton Street and Millars Marsh are only a 20 minutes walk to walsh Park.

Use the applemarket as a fan zone, plenty options for pub and restaurants.

To add to parking, WIT, Old waterford Crystal factory and crystal sports, St Pauls primary and secondary. Plenty parking

Adding to the pubs near walsh park.

Crannog
    Paddy browns
    Rice guest house.
    Kitty kierans
    Doyles

If you take the reg as probably the furthest pub in town from Walsh Park, then thats only a 25 minute walk to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

If you take the reg as probably the furthest pub in town from Walsh Park, then thats only a 25 minute walk to the stadium.

This is true but you know the mentality people have of wanting to park on the doorstep of whatever venue they're visiting.

• Advertisement

This is true but you know the mentality people have of wanting to park on the doorstep of whatever venue they're visiting.

But this is what i dont get. In thurles, your always 30/40 mins to the stadium!!

Advertisement