Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about Walsh Park?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Deiseen wrote: »
    But this is what i dont get. In thurles, your always 30/40 mins to the stadium!!

Where are you parking/drinking in thurles to be that far from the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭spideyman92

But this is what i dont get. In thurles, your always 30/40 mins to the stadium!!

That's a bit of a stretch. You'd have to be parking out the road close to the golf course to be walking anywhere near that long. You can easily get parking in the town 20 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Deiseen

That's a bit of a stretch. You'd have to be parking out the road close to the golf course to be walking anywhere near that long. You can easily get parking in the town 20 mins away.

Maybe on the quieter days now. And if you arrive early. Arrive late, on a busy day and you better bring your walking shoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

dzilla wrote: »
    Plenty of pubs in the area.

Norrisses
    Barrack Street
    Park Inn
    Mount Sion Center
    Ruan Mor Center

And regarding parking, I think when you take into account The RSC / Woodies Carpark / Lisduggan car park / park and ride from carraiganore it is ample.

I have never gone to a game in Thurles or elsewhere and parked up next to the stadium. Usually had to walk 40 minutes.

These pubs aren't going to handle a championship crowd of 15 to 20K?

There's no shops about there either and it's only asking for trouble and inevitable that cars will get broke into in the estates around there and when this happens it'll not matter who waterford play/what concerts are there....people just won't come in large numbers from outside the county to there

Put it another way....if waterford united or FC whatever they calling emselves now,were playing in Windsor park/a concert on there....would you be happy enough to drive up in your southern registered car and park in the vicinity of it

Blaas4life wrote: »
    Plenty of pubs in the area.

Norrisses
    Barrack Street
    Park Inn
    Mount Sion Center
    Ruan Mor Center

And regarding parking, I think when you take into account The RSC / Woodies Carpark / Lisduggan car park / park and ride from carraiganore it is ample.

I have never gone to a game in Thurles or elsewhere and parked up next to the stadium. Usually had to walk 40 minutes.

There's no shops about there either and it's only asking for trouble and inevitable that cars will get broke into in the estates around there and when this happens it'll not matter who waterford play/what concerts are there....people just won't come in large numbers from outside the county to there

Put it another way....if waterford united or FC whatever they calling emselves now,were playing in Windsor park/a concert on there....would you be happy enough to drive up in your southern registered car and park in the vicinity of it

Well you are looking at this the wrong way aswell and in terms of proper planning, it should not go into dungarven for one reason - public transport limitations.

If its in Waterford City then the likes of Tipp, Limerick, Kilkenny and Dublin (even Galway) could easily get trains. The rest could get a public bus handy enough. But everyone would have to drive to dungarven, unless they are coming from Cork or reroute through the City.

All the roads from west, north and east lead to Waterford City. They simply dont lead to dungarven.

Now i know that most people in Ireland drive, but the city offers up potential for trains/special trains which would lessen the impact of of parking around the stadium(and increase crowds). In dungarven, your only choice is to drive and park.

Also, larchville and parts of the beg could be dodgey but I'd have no problem parking anywbere around WP, and have done on many ocassions with no issue.

Asside from a petrol station (WP has one 5 mins away) what shop/amenities does dungarven have that WP doesnt? People saying the square is 5 mins away are talking out of their holes, the apple market is the same distance as the square!

• Advertisement

Well you are looking at this the wrong way aswell and in terms of proper planning, it should not go into dungarven for one reason - public transport limitations.

If its in Waterford City then the likes of Tipp, Limerick, Kilkenny and Dublin (even Galway) could easily get trains. The rest could get a public bus handy enough. But everyone would have to drive to dungarven, unless they are coming from Cork or reroute through the City.

All the roads from west, north and east lead to Waterford City. They simply dont lead to dungarven.

Now i know that most people in Ireland drive, but the city offers up potential for trains/special trains which would lessen the impact of of parking around the stadium(and increase crowds). In dungarven, your only choice is to drive and park.

Also, larchville and parts of the beg could be dodgey but I'd have no problem parking anywbere around WP, and have done on many ocassions with no issue.

Asside from a petrol station (WP has one 5 mins away) what shop/amenities does dungarven have that WP doesnt? People saying the square is 5 mins away are talking out of their holes, the apple market is the same distance as the square!

Dungarvan is flat as opposed to apple market....which is 30 mins plus of at times steep enough incline??

Nowhere have I said dungarvan should be developed ahead of Walsh park btw??

However it is straighter run from all munster to dungarvan (N72 is within 5 mins of it)...from north cork,limerick,clare this is the obvious route via fermoy?? And no worse a road than limerick to cahir (which also a motorway being built lim to cork)

I've parked there often too and rarely miss a match (despite absolute puke served up under mcgrath)....the train line to waterford is not fit for purpose and tbh I'd be in favour of moving the station to the new shopping centre along with upgrades

Tbh Walsh park is only fit to be bulldozed into a heap,the pitch isn't up to standred,roads around it can't handle the traffic (not that fraher is much better) and there's no gaurentee that long term this new system in championship will be renewed (I hope it's not)

Dungarvan is flat as opposed to apple market....which is 30 mins plus of at times steep enough incline??

Nowhere have I said dungarvan should be developed ahead of Walsh park btw??

However it is straighter run from all munster to dungarvan (N72 is within 5 mins of it)...from north cork,limerick,clare this is the obvious route via fermoy?? And no worse a road than limerick to cahir (which also a motorway being built lim to cork)

I've parked there often too and rarely miss a match (despite absolute puke served up under mcgrath)....the train line to waterford is not fit for purpose and tbh I'd be in favour of moving the station to the new shopping centre along with upgrades

Tbh Walsh park is only fit to be bulldozed into a heap,the pitch isn't up to standred,roads around it can't handle the traffic (not that fraher is much better) and there's no gaurentee that long term this new system in championship will be renewed (I hope it's not)

The system will be tweaked but I reckon the extra games are here to stay.

Its 15 mins walk from the apple market and asside from a small hill up new street, there isnt any hills after that.

Also, everyone talks about the pitch. Im sure this is on the list of items to be sorted under the new development. If its not then its a disgrace but I am sure a new pitch is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭914

The pubs cant handle a crowd of 15-20k? Do you really think all the 15-20k people will be drinking in pubs?

A lot of families attend games now. How do pubs handle 40k+ in thurles? People stand outside that's how.

As for cars being broken into in estates. First off they're should be no parking in estates.

Zero on street parking policy. 0.5km cordon around walsh park except for residents

Parking facilities which should be considered to use are

St pauls primary and secondary schools
    Rsc
    WIT
    millars marsh
    Bolton street
    Gas works
    Quays
    Old waterford crystal playing fields
    Dls, roanmore, st Pauls and mount sion gaa clubs
    Mercy primary and secondary schools

All locations above are no more than a 20 minute walk to walsh park. Would work as a money earner for all those involved.

Near all the parking ideas above pubs and shops are plentiful, waterford can easily handle 15k. We get 50k for spraoi every bank holiday weekend.

The only issue I see with the plans for walsh park is removing the bank at the town end to accommodate dressing rooms.

I would rather see the current stand demolised and re built with steeper stepping, similair to the old stand in the RSC, that would then allow four dressing rooms, referee rooms etc to be built within the stand.

Which would also allow for extra terracing at the county end and give us an approx capacity of 18k

914 wrote: »

The pubs cant handle a crowd of 15-20k? Do you really think all the 15-20k people will be drinking in pubs?

A lot of families attend games now. How do pubs handle 40k+ in thurles? People stand outside that's how.

As for cars being broken into in estates. First off they're should be no parking in estates.

Zero on street parking policy. 0.5km cordon around walsh park except for residents

Parking facilities which should be considered to use are

St pauls primary and secondary schools
    Rsc
    WIT
    millars marsh
    Bolton street
    Gas works
    Quays
    Old waterford crystal playing fields
    Dls, roanmore, st Pauls and mount sion gaa clubs
    Mercy primary and secondary schools

All locations above are no more than a 20 minute walk to walsh park. Would work as a money earner for all those involved.

Near all the parking ideas above pubs and shops are plentiful, waterford can easily handle 15k. We get 50k for spraoi every bank holiday weekend.

The only issue I see with the plans for walsh park is removing the bank at the town end to accommodate dressing rooms.

I would rather see the current stand demolised and re built with steeper stepping, similair to the old stand in the RSC, that would then allow four dressing rooms, referee rooms etc to be built within the stand.

Which would also allow for extra terracing at the county end and give us an approx capacity of 18k

From listening to the lads speaking, the money just isnt there for that kind of work but i do worry about the fact that the city end will have limited capacity. Maybe its future proofed for terracing or a stand..

While they were extremely poor on wlr, they made a valid point about 2000 people showing up for the county Hurling final but everyone in the county crying our for a new stadium.

I'm of the opinion that the state of Walsh Park doesn't help with crowd numbers but it certainly doesn't help with a potential upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭914

From listening to the lads speaking, the money just isnt there for that kind of work but i do worry about the fact that the city end will have limited capacity. Maybe its future proofed for terracing or a stand..

While they were extremely poor on wlr, they made a valid point about 2000 people showing up for the county Hurling final but everyone in the county crying our for a new stadium.

I'm of the opinion that the state of Walsh Park doesn't help with crowd numbers but it certainly doesn't help with a potential upgrade.

I would also expect money is the issue, we need to find another source of income to complete my stand idea, I hope we have explored the fact or trying to get private/commerical investment as what ever we develop now that will be it for the foreseeable.

Agree that 2k at the county final is a poor turn out. I feel there is a number of reasons for the poor attendance.

No one expects to see a great game at the end of october/beginning of november. Ballygunner are miles ahead therfore people automatically expect them to win. I think the tipp county final was also on tv the same day which was a more attractive fixture. That time of the year you are also competing with the premier league.

Sitting on wooden seats in October is far from comfortable, the price to enter the county final is also an issue. Paying to sit on wooden seats in the depts of winter to most likely watch a one sided affair on a heavy pitch. Therefore a number of reasons why attendances are poor for the county final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The redevelopment of Walsh Park would play into the government's Ireland 2040 agenda for the expansion of Waterford city and enable grants to be (at least ) sought from government for the project.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    The redevelopment of Walsh Park would play into the government's Ireland 2040 agenda for the expansion of Waterford city and enable grants to be (at least ) sought from government for the project.

Would the €2 billion fund be available for this kind of project?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Dont see why not: Examiner says: Páirc Uí Chaoimh will have a larger capacity than the Belfast venue — 45,000 to Casement’s 40,000 — and will cost approximately €70m, €30m of which will come from a Government grant. Combined with the GAA’s offering, the Cork County Board will need to contribute €20m and they have already earmarked €10m of savings for the project.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/gaa-confirms-euro20m-contribution-to-new-paacuteirc-uiacute-chaoimh-296404.html If they could get €30m maybe we could get €3? Politics and political influence needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

inevitable that cars will get broke into in the estates around there and when this happens it'll not matter who waterford play/what concerts are there....people just won't come in large numbers from outside the county to there

Jësus

Jësus

You don't perceive this to be anyway potential of an issue??

You don't perceive this to be anyway potential of an issue??

I don't .

But then I'm not narrow minded.

I don't .

Meh.....it's happened before to cousins of mine already about lisduggan

I don't .

Don't know anyone its happened to.

Thomond Park is basically in Moyross, I'm sure this is something that worried them when they were building that..

Ever hear of an isolated incident?

Ever hear of an isolated incident?

Ever hear of a bad rep putting people off going places?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The GAA wanted this done as quickly and cheaply as possible I thought, integrating it into a government funded plan would probably mean 3-5 years before completion.

Ever hear of a bad rep putting people off going places?

I did. But hardly comparable to southern reg cars going to Windsor park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A total fiasco is what this is! A supreme waste of money investing in Walsh Park!
    We don't have the facilities and neither does Thurles or Cork to host big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'm eternally bemused at the rage that redeveloping Walsh Park seems to generate. We can all agree that what we have at the moment is awful, but for some people anything less than something that would impress Fifa or the IOC is just as bad. A capacity of 20,000 is the absolute outer limit of what we need. If we can save millions by it only being 15,000 and using one of the two sites we already own, so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

deiseach wrote: »
    I'm eternally bemused at the rage that redeveloping Walsh Park seems to generate. We can all agree that what we have at the moment is awful, but for some people anything less than something that would impress Fifa or the IOC is just as bad. A capacity of 20,000 is the absolute outer limit of what we need. If we can save millions by it only being 15,000 and using one of the two sites we already own, so much the better.

I certainly agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Waterford need to do something and do it quick. Whatever you do, don't put a stadium miles out of town. It is a disaster for fans, ends up with no atmosphere and a traffic nightmare.
    Keep it somewhere close or in town and the town will benefit from all the matches.

Waterford need to do something and do it quick. Whatever you do, don't put a stadium miles out of town. It is a disaster for fans, ends up with no atmosphere and a traffic nightmare.
    Keep it somewhere close or in town and the town will benefit from all the matches.

I just can't understand the ignorance of people saying it should be up in Carrignore, a 1 hour and 15 minute walk from town. Others then saying WP is too far from pubs/food. Its crazy.

The benefit of having a sold out WP in Waterford City with 16,000/20,000 people at a game would be hard to beat.

I just can't understand the ignorance of people saying it should be up in Carrignore, a 1 hour and 15 minute walk from town. Others then saying WP is too far from pubs/food. Its crazy.

The benefit of having a sold out WP in Waterford City with 16,000/20,000 people at a game would be hard to beat.

The worst stadiums I have ever been to are located "out of town". That one in Cork is terrible location and a traffic nightmare. I love going to stadiums where you can get the train, are let off in the town and can go for food/drink and wander down to the ground half an hour before throw-in.

People talking about close to motorways, etc are talking rubbish. In theory its great for the car driver, but try getting out of there after a match if there is nothing else to do only get into the car and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The traffic nightmare occurs when you bring in vehicles travelling to the games to the urban centre.

Build a stadium, close to the motorway, so that traffic by-passes town, as the motorway is designed to do.

It is not beyond anyone's ingenuity to organise mass transport (buses) from various centres in town out to the stadium for local supporters.

• Advertisement

The traffic nightmare occurs when you bring in vehicles travelling to the games to the urban centre.

Build a stadium, close to the motorway, so that traffic by-passes town, as the motorway is designed to do.

It is not beyond anyone's ingenuity to organise mass transport (buses) from various centres in town out to the stadium for local supporters.

But the needs of supporters go beyond those of car drivers. Do you not think people might want some food or drink before a match, where is the spin-off to the local economy if the nearest pubs/restaurants/etc are 20 miles away?

Mass transport by buses is a joke, build the stadium in town. Just don't build on an island like Salthill with 1-way on, 1-way off.

Advertisement