Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 year vintage/veteran NCT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Isambard wrote: »
    kadman wrote: »
    That applies to a vintage commercial, which my camper is not,

If you have a vintage commercial vehicle that is  tested within the commercial vehicle testing system, you may be entitled to exemption from testing or be able to apply for an exemption from the requirement to undergo an annual roadworthiness test.

Campers at regarded as Commercials , that's why they have to be CVRTd. It's the type of vehicle not the usage .   fwiw, mine is taxed as V&V €56
    Not sure about that. If you have a vintage pickup which was not used commercially, then that would qualify for a 2 year CRVT ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Campers at regarded as Commercials , that's why they have to be CVRTd. It's the type of vehicle not the usage . fwiw, mine is taxed as V&V €56

Mine is taxed as Vin/Vet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Not sure about that. If you have a vintage pickup which was not used commercially, then that would qualify for a 2 year CRVT ?

yes of course.

I still think the words "where appropriate" is going to leave the deciding issue to some muppet
    who neither knows or cares who gets the exemption or revised cert.

Going by my letter " unless you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes , you do not need to take any action.
    You will be issued with an updated certificate of roadworthiness with a revised expiry date automatically by the RSA."

Well they have 10 days to send me the revised 2 year cert, or I will be going for the test to get my 2 year cert;)

FWIW, there is a 1988 Fiat Ducato camper on donedeal at the minute advertised with two years test

And why not, new rules came into force on May 20th 2018.
    So there is bound to be vehicles now with a 2 year cert if tested in the last 2 weeks.

I still think the words "where appropriate" is going to leave the deciding issue to some muppet
    who neither knows or cares who gets the exemption or revised cert.

Going by my letter " unless you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes , you do not need to take any action.
    You will be issued with an updated certificate of roadworthiness with a revised expiry date automatically by the RSA."

Well they have 10 days to send me the revised 2 year cert, or I will be going for the test to get my 2 year cert;)
    as I showed earlier, I believe you have to initiate the process yourself by sending them the declaration

as I showed earlier, I believe you have to initiate the process yourself by sending them the declaration

Who knows what to do,

the letter says,

Time will tell,

yes I know, but the website says different. I've got til October anyway, don't fancy your chances of them doing anything about it in the next few days :-(. Sending off my form anyway

Yep, I reckon I have as much chance of winning the lotto as getting a revised cert now:D

Good luck your end

• Advertisement

Just a heads up. I've been contacted automatically by the test centre to call to organize my test detail and booking for 19th June. So no revised cert for me:D., not that i expected one.

I have not heard of anyone so far with a cvrt that has received a revised cert either.

Just heard of a chap with a T25 who passed his test in April, for 12 months.

He received a 2 year revised cert today for 2 years.

Just like i thought, recently tested vehicles get the revised cert.

i don't know if that will prove to be the case, hope not. I can't see how they could define "recently"

Its doubtful they will give a vehicle that was tested 9 months ago a free pass now.

Where as a vehicle tested 3 months ago, why not?

I believe this vehicle at least sets a recent date of all those in the last 2-3 months.

And mine says not as far as 11 months ago when the new rules came into force.

Its doubtful they will give a vehicle that was tested 9 months ago a free pass now.

Where as a vehicle tested 3 months ago, why not?

I believe this vehicle at least sets a recent date of all those in the last 2-3 months.

And mine says not as far as 11 months ago when the new rules came into force.

yes 3 months is recent but what about 3 months and one day? There'll always be someone aggrieved if they chose an arbitrary date,

yes 3 months is recent but what about 3 months and one day? There'll always be someone aggrieved if they chose an arbitrary date,

Obviously there is a cut off point, good luck to you if you can find out what
    it is. I couldn,t, despite numerous e mails to CVRT.

Computer either says yes or no...............in my case its a no:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Mine was tested in October end last year, I just received the letter instructing me to send back paperwork for a new cert to be issued.

Mine was tested in October end last year, I just received the letter instructing me to send back paperwork for a new cert to be issued.

Thats great news for you.

So now we know its as far back as October at least.

Looking good maybe for you Isambard, its getting closer:)

Five days and counting for me, i think not:D

which is just what I've done and mines October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I noticed that NCT's now issue from the date of first registration in Ireland - as opposed to the first date of registration (i.e. Abroad)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

My 131 was tested last august & just got the amended cert until august 2019

• Advertisement

brilliant news.

I called into NCT HQ today in Citywest. Handed in my old NCT cert and disc and five minutes later had my new extended cert and disc. No hassle, no cost. My old cert was issued in October 2017.

For anybody calling there - I spotted a notice on the door stating that replacement Certificates will only be issued between these hours: 9am-12pm and 2pm-5pm.

Just getting my wagon ready for the test, somebody has to pay for all your
    freebie certs:D:D:D

Well done lads.:)

postpone it! look what I got today

19disc.jpg

postpone it! look what I got today

Nice one:)
    I,m not holding my breath on getting one, but it will be another day or two before I book a test, so we will see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Silvera wrote: »
    I called into NCT HQ today in Citywest. Handed in my old NCT cert and disc and five minutes later had my new extended cert and disc. No hassle, no cost. My old cert was issued in October 2017.

For anybody calling there - I spotted a notice on the door stating that replacement Certificates will only be issued between these hours: 9am-12pm and 2pm-5pm.

Do you know if all the centres are issuing updated certs? Or only just a few of them? Got my letter today and it says to post in the cert and disc but I'd prefer to drop into one of the centres if it was a simple case of getting a newly printed cert/disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

PauloMN wrote: »
    Do you know if all the centres are issuing updated certs? Or only just a few of them? Got my letter today and it says to post in the cert and disc but I'd prefer to drop into one of the centres if it was a simple case of getting a newly printed cert/disc.

None of the test centres are doing the exchange, It can only be done in Head office in Citywest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

welder wrote: »
    None of the test centres are doing the exchange, It can only be done in Head office in Citywest.

Thanks, will post it in so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Thanks, will post it in so.

I received mine on Friday, four days from posting in to receiving new cert.

I received mine on Friday, four days from posting in to receiving new cert.

Hopefully mine is as quick..... this is classic driving weather!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hopefully mine is as quick..... this is classic driving weather!!! :)

Just keep the letter in the car for use if you are stopped.
    Also don't park it in a public place where you could get a ticket if the car is unattended.
    Get out in the fine weather:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Came back from my holidays yesterday to also find the card in the post. Will send the NCT cert + disk back to CityWest today :)

Applied for my test for tomorrow.
    I rang to confirm my appointment time, and the test centre says its not
    due for testing according to the system, as I have been given an extension due to its vintage status:D:D:D:D

So I asked him will it be sent to me automatically, he said it should be.
    Its all new to him, and he knew nothing about any declaration for non commercial use that I am supposed to sign:confused::confused:

So as I have a new cert pending, but now no current one to return
    as its expired since 19thJune, I have nothing to return:D

Looks like e mailing whoever grants the certs, RSA or CVRT??

Just to mention, the test appointment chap contacted the RSA on this prior to my contact
    and they advised him its not for testing

you don't have to send back the disc for the CVRT, they just send a new one. It will come in the next couple of days I'd say
    It's great news !

You don't need sign the form, I sent one in but it crossed in the post with the disc.

Looks like you were right Isambard,

It appears that every vintage vehicle with a current cvrt prior to May 20th
    gets an extended cert.

So I have an extra 100 euro to spend on beer tokens for me next outing:D

Postie brought my new CVRT cert, with the extra 12 months,,:cool:

New NCT cert received yesterday - couple of changes compared to the last one - the VIN is on it which was not present last time, and the testers initials also.

Another year sorted! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I got a replacement one in the post this week too with the extra year!! Sweet!!

I also received an extended NCT cert for one of my classics.

Incidentally, this new 2-year test rule is a Europe-wide ruling, not just in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Incidentally, this new 2-year test rule is a Europe-wide ruling, not just in Ireland.
    Doesn't every country have different rules, age requirements, criteria etc. about testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Planning to do this this week as I have 3 months and 5 days until my cert runs out and just realised that the car is registered to my old address so it's a hassle to do it by post! Did you need anything else apart from the cert&disc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Has anyone exchanged a UK MOT for an NCT cert?

I'm collecting a car on Thursday which has a new MOT, be nice to just swap it for an NCT.
    I also presume the NCT is only valid until the expiry of the MOT?

commited wrote: »
    Planning to do this this week as I have 3 months and 5 days until my cert runs out and just realised that the car is registered to my old address so it's a hassle to do it by post! Did you need anything else apart from the cert&disc?

new discs were sent out to everyone with the appropriate age car, so yours will have gone to your old address.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Neilw wrote: »
    Has anyone exchanged a UK MOT for an NCT cert?

I'm collecting a car on Thursday which has a new MOT, be nice to just swap it for an NCT.
    I also presume the NCT is only valid until the expiry of the MOT?

No, but the info is here from the NCTS website (link to form in quote):
    16. My vehicle has a current EU Roadworthiness Certificate, do I need an NCT Certificate
    If you import a second hand vehicle from another EU Member State and the vehicle has a current EU Roadworthiness Certificate, you can have the unexpired portion of the certificate recognised by exchanging your out-of-state roadworthiness certificate for an Irish issued EU recognition certificate.

In order to obtain an EU recognition certificate for a private vehicle you must complete an Mutual Recognition Application Form and return the completed application form and required fee of €15.50 (this fee is being waived until further notice) with the original or a certified true copy of the out of state roadworthiness certificate (if the certificate is not in English, please ensure you provide a translation of the certificate in the English language) to the following postal address: Certificate Administrator, Applus Car Testing Service Ltd, Citywest Business Campus, Lakedrive 3026, Naas Road, Dublin 24, D24 RC8V.

The Irish issued EU recognition roadworthiness certificate will be issued by post to the current registered owner of the vehicle.

Further information on the importation of your vehicle can be found on the VRT section of this website and also by visiting Revenue

Advertisement