Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

2 year vintage/veteran NCT

  • 24-05-2018 8:41pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    Got my NCT this evening on my 88. The 2 yr rule is alive and kicking! Says vintage/veteran on the disc.
    Owning, running, fixing a classic can be a pain sometimes but nice to get some good news.


«134

Comments

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    Great news. Can I ask if you had an up to date test going in for this one?


    I went through the test last Sunday and got a new list of stuff that make my car a deathtrap. Stuff like a bulb not lighting on the dash when the handbrake is on (hasn't come on in 9 years), and that killer that is weak washer spray.

    Luckily, I work out on the long mile road and the garage next door has a bunch of lads who sorted out a bunch of stuff including making a switch for my handbrake.

    Retest on Saturday.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 Nataly Green Fluid


    Dades wrote: »
    Great news. Can I ask if you had an up to date test going in for this one?


    I went through the test last Sunday and got a new list of stuff that make my car a deathtrap. Stuff like a bulb not lighting on the dash when the handbrake is on (hasn't come on in 9 years), and that killer that is weak washer spray.

    Luckily, I work out on the long mile road and the garage next door has a bunch of lads who sorted out a bunch of stuff including making a switch for my handbrake.

    Retest on Saturday.

    You will get the 2 year test. In fact they are now re issuing all Vintage NCT's with a two year test that were tested between May 2017 and May 2018 . Give them a call, you will need to return your current disc and cert and a new one will be issued.

    See the NCT website under 'The Test' then 'FAQ' then Item 19

    Please note: if your vintage vehicle was inspected during the period 20th May 2017 to 19th May 2018, you will be entitled to a two year certificate. NCTS will endeavour to write to each customer affected detailing the requirements in order to amend their current NCT certificate. All queries regarding this change can be dealt with by the customer service department on (01) 4135994.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    Dades wrote: »
    Great news. Can I ask if you had an up to date test going in for this one?
    Car was imported last year, was declared off road and only taxed and insured in Jan. So never had an NCT before.
    Just thinking there and if i were looking for another classic ( always am ) i would be more interested in an 80 with 2 years NCT rather than a 79 with no NCT required.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    Please note: if your vintage vehicle was inspected during the period 20th May 2017 to 19th May 2018, you will be entitled to a two year certificate.
    By that criteria - I should be getting a six year certificate. :P
    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Just thinking there and if i were looking for another classic ( always am ) i would be more interested in an 80 with 2 years NCT rather than a 79 with no NCT required.
    That would make sense... though the percentage of 1980 cars for sale with NCTs would really limit that search.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    You will get the 2 year test. In fact they are now re issuing all Vintage NCT's with a two year test that were tested between May 2017 and May 2018 . Give them a call, you will need to return your current disc and cert and a new one will be issued.

    See the NCT website under 'The Test' then 'FAQ' then Item 19

    Please note: if your vintage vehicle was inspected during the period 20th May 2017 to 19th May 2018, you will be entitled to a two year certificate. NCTS will endeavour to write to each customer affected detailing the requirements in order to amend their current NCT certificate. All queries regarding this change can be dealt with by the customer service department on (01) 4135994.

    Wow, my car would qualify for that. '87 car I brought in in September and passed the re-test early October 2017 (valid until October 2018). I'll follow up and let you all know how I get on.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman


    unkel wrote: »
    Wow, my car would qualify for that. '87 car I brought in in September and passed the re-test early October 2017 (valid until October 2018). I'll follow up and let you all know how I get on.

    Does this ruling apply to NCT only, or the CVRT as well.

    I assume the CVRT is a 2 year test after May 2018, but no updated certs in

    respect of any tested before that date??


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 Nataly Green Fluid


    unkel wrote: »
    Wow, my car would qualify for that. '87 car I brought in in September and passed the re-test early October 2017 (valid until October 2018). I'll follow up and let you all know how I get on.

    Yes, you will receive a two year cert.


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ kja1888


    Dades wrote: »
    Great news. Can I ask if you had an up to date test going in for this one?


    I went through the test last Sunday and got a new list of stuff that make my car a deathtrap. Stuff like a bulb not lighting on the dash when the handbrake is on (hasn't come on in 9 years), and that killer that is weak washer spray.

    Luckily, I work out on the long mile road and the garage next door has a bunch of lads who sorted out a bunch of stuff including making a switch for my handbrake.

    Retest on Saturday.

    Who said it was a deathtrap? Its a National Car Test, not a National Car Safety Test. Safety is one aspect. Although if you don't know what can happen to brakes if the handbrake is accidentally left on and the warning light isn't working, or you're unable to understand why the washers need to be aimed correctly it's probably best not to make lame jokes about people who do.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭ PauloMN


    unkel wrote: »
    Wow, my car would qualify for that. '87 car I brought in in September and passed the re-test early October 2017 (valid until October 2018). I'll follow up and let you all know how I get on.

    Same here, '87 car bought in last July and NCT'd. Was thinking my NCT was due soon - this is good news.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Yeah I've my car actually up for sale, so I was going to put it through early this month to get a 27 month fresh NCT. No need for that now :)

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    With the new change where MOTs can be swapped for an NCT, i am guessing that if you bought a classic UK car with a valid MOT obtained since May the 20th,  it can be swapped for a 1 year NCT and subsequently a  2 year NCT from the date of the MOT.


    “From May 20th 2018, if you import a second-hand vehicle from another EU member state which was tested after that date and the vehicle has a current EU Roadworthiness Certificate, you can have the unexpired portion of the certificate recognised by exchanging your out-of-state roadworthiness certificate for an Irish issued EU recognition certificate,” Applus said in a statement on its website.

    So any post 79 classics without a NCT will now be a hard sell as future buyers ( me including ) would now expect a car to have a 2 years ( or remaining of ) NCT.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    That's not so good news imho. Our NCT is far stricter than the MOT can be. My own car had a brand new MOT, yet it needed all brake lines to be replaced as well as some welding on one end of one sill to pass the NCT.

    But I guess we'll have to live with the new rules.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭ Esel


    unkel wrote: »
    Yeah I've my car actually up for sale, so I was going to put it through early this month to get a 27 month fresh NCT. No need for that now :)

    Link please?

    Not your ornery onager



  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    kja1888 wrote: »
    Who said it was a deathtrap? Its a National Car Test, not a National Car Safety Test. Safety is one aspect. Although if you don't know what can happen to brakes if the handbrake is accidentally left on and the warning light isn't working, or you're unable to understand why the washers need to be aimed correctly it's probably best not to make lame jokes about people who do.
    There's a case to be made that when a car is 35+ years old certain things could become an "advisory". Like a dimly lit bulb in the dash that hasn't come on in nine years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    kadman wrote: »
    Does this ruling apply to NCT only, or the CVRT as well.

    I assume the CVRT is a 2 year test after May 2018, but no updated certs in

    respect of any tested before that date??

    got letter from CVRT people, new cert to follow! (non commercial use of course)


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman


    Isambard wrote: »
    got letter from CVRT people, new cert to follow! (non commercial use of course)

    Thats interesting. My own camper is 31 year old, and due my CVRT

    in August . Fingers crossed then:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    yep you'll get two years if you test it then, but it looks like you won't have to!


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman


    I also got the letter stating the new rules , and "where appropriate" expiry period will be extended to
    align with the new test frequency.

    Just checked to my expiry is in 3 weeks time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    I was surprised but I read it to say that my one year cert would be automatically extended to two years, after 31st May. You should get a cert in the post too if I read it right,.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman


    Isambard wrote: »
    I was surprised but I read it to say that my one year cert would be automatically extended to two years, after 31st May. You should get a cert in the post too if I read it right,.

    Well here is hoping you are right:)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭ kop77


    I vrt'd my 86 car in June 2016 when it turned 30 years old but never bothered getting it NCT'd,

    I typed the reg number into the NCTS site today as if I was booking it in and it says not due till June this year,

    How does that happen..?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Read what it says again ;)

    It will show that you do not have a valid NCT, but if you had one, it would expire in June this year.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭ kop77


    Would it be subjected to the same tests as a normal NCT,


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ kja1888


    Dades wrote: »
    There's a case to be made that when a car is 35+ years old certain things could become an "advisory". Like a dimly lit bulb in the dash that hasn't come on in nine years.

    No there isn't. If it's not working, it's not working. It's there for a reason. The age of the car is immaterial. You obviously haven't made the connection between a non-functioning handbrake warning light and potential brake failure. Don't forget you brought the car in for the test with the faults already present, which means you're obviously completely ambivilant to to doing any kind of safety checks on your car. If you think fooling someone into giving you a roadworthiness cert is a good thing then the only person you're fooling is yourself.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    That's a bit harsh kja1888. But I guess fundamentally you are right.

    I was sympathetic to Dades' argument when I read it first. My car too got failed on "insufficient washer function" or whatever it was called :p But it's not really workable to start making exception lists. I'm sure he realises that himself.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    kja1888 wrote: »
    Don't forget you brought the car in for the test with the faults already present, which means you're obviously completely ambivilant to to doing any kind of safety checks on your car.
    Bravo. That's quite the extrapolation.

    In other news...

    jeteJqW.jpg

    No advisories. Apart from those on Boards.ie.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭ kermitpwee


    Should that Porsche have got 2 years nct or am I missing something?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    2 years from date of last test/ anniversary of first reg


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    Test was due last October. I had difficulty getting some welding work done (my old mechanic kept me hanging) and only got it done in the new year. Was booked in again but missed it because of the snow; at that point the new rules came to light so I decided to wait till May. (Turns out they were giving out extra years for cars tested before May anyway. Meh!)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,095 ✭✭✭✭ elperello


    I have an eighties car that I NCT'd as usual on it's anniversary in August 2017.
    On Tuesday this week at 11am I got a letter from Applus asking me to return the NCT cert and disc in order to receive replacements to extend the validity of the NCT to August 2019.

    I put them in the post at 5pm on Tuesday.

    Today at 11am the replacements arrived complete with a nice note from Applus thanking me for my patience!

    That's what I call service:)


Advertisement