Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Also btw, he's not square. Small point, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Ronnie Nunn (former head of NBA refs) usually does good reviews of controversial calls on BBall Breakdown. I haven't checked yet and can't right now, but I'd like to hear his take on it. I'd be shocked if he said it was the wrong call. And he's not afraid to call it when they mess up.

Dunc'd On talk about it for about 10mins from memory on today's pod, both hosts agreed it was the right call.

Clickbait title but here is the inevitable Ronnie Nunn video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, uhh....
    fúck.

6HzBloc.jpg

Jesus that’s just a shocking defensive coverage on a set play/clock stopped situation like that, and that’s ignoring KD’s failure to block out. You’d assume they practice that kind of stuff...but maybe not. And the one guy they leave wide open? Shocking.

I’d call that an end of game situation failure at Irish National League level, let alone the NBA. Why is there no one beside LeBron at the free throw situation???!!!

On the lebron block/charge call, was there a definitive call on the floor. I know one ref called block and another called a charge but did one get called as the call on the floor or was it a case of they couldn’t make a definitive call until review

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

On the lebron block/charge call, was there a definitive call on the floor. I know one ref called block and another called a charge but did one get called as the call on the floor or was it a case of they couldn’t make a definitive call until review

There were two calls - 1 official called a charge, another a block.

Re. reviews, it's complicated!

When there's a double whistle in the first 46mins of a game they usually have a quick conference and review and will go with the ref who in their opinion had the best view etc.......unless it's a hugely controversial or potentially impactful to the game (like any flagrant etc.) when they can go to review to check their decision. There are some exceptions; like you can't review travels for example.

However in the last 2 minutes you (as an official) can review any call - which ironically is how LeBron got away with the goaltend on Oladipo in the Indiana game. The fact you can review any call in the last 2 mins also negates the restricted area argument btw, which again seems to have been lost in the conversation.

The protocall on suspected goaltends is to make the call first and then review.....but as they didn't call a goaltend, there was no call and therefore nothing to review. What they should have done was automatically call the goaltend, stop the game and review. You can then award the basket for goaltending OR call a clean block and give possession to the team who blocked the shot.That was a far bigger (non) call than this and had far moire impact on the result of the game. They got the Oladipo-LeBron call wrong, they got the Durant-LeBron call right.

Gregk961 wrote: »

Clickbait title but here is the inevitable Ronnie Nunn video

Jeez, what a title, Coach Nick going all tabloid.....

Have to take my dogs to the vets so won't get a chance to look at it for a few hours, but I did see the NBA Replay centre ref discuss it (on nba.com) earlier this morning. Can't link as on my phone but worth a look.

Thanks for the link btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Also btw, he's not square. Small point, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Ronnie Nunn (former head of NBA refs) usually does good reviews of controversial calls on BBall Breakdown. I haven't checked yet and can't right now, but I'd like to hear his take on it. I'd be shocked if he said it was the wrong call. And he's not afraid to call it when they mess up.

Dunc'd On talk about it for about 10mins from memory on today's pod, both hosts agreed it was the right call.
    WHen I saw it live I thought it was a charge, I screamed at the refs for robbing him of a great defensive play.
    I still think he got to his spot on time, but he was not square and that is why it should have been called a foul on him.
    It was the right call at the end of the day, as much as I hate to admit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Guess we know where Vegas think LeBron is going next year:

https://twitter.com/golfodds/status/1003011702697308160?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don’t see the blowout that many expect coming tonight. With Klay going to be far from 100% and Iguodala also still out, I give the Cavs (well, LeBron) a shot.

I’d take the Cavs +11.5.

Tonight went pretty much exactly as I thought it would. Warriors looked pretty comfortable throughout, I thought they would pull away sooner but all’s well that ends well.
    I feel Lebrons frustration and fatigue are beginning to show, nearly impossible for him to beat this amount of talent on his own, what he would give for Kyrie now.
    Warriors 2 wins away from giving zero fooks as to what anyone thinks about them

Tonight went pretty much exactly as I thought it would. Warriors looked pretty comfortable throughout, I thought they would pull away sooner but all’s well that ends well.
    I feel Lebrons frustration and fatigue are beginning to show, nearly impossible for him to beat this amount of talent on his own, what he would give for Kyrie now.
    Warriors 2 wins away from giving zero fooks as to what anyone thinks about them

+1.

Had an awful air of predictability about it, as does the rest of the series. Cavs can win at least 1 in Cleveland, but does it really matter? Barring serious injury to at least 1 Warrior, this is more or less over.

• Advertisement

+1.

Had an awful air of predictability about it, as does the rest of the series. Cavs can win at least 1 in Cleveland, but does it really matter? Barring serious injury to at least 1 Warrior, this is more or less over.

Yea, Warriors rarely got out of 3rd gear.
    Cleaveland will obviously be different and who knows what will happen but hard to see it going past 5, hopefully it goes to 5...I got tickets for that game...lol

Even the biggest lebron critics have to feel for him a little, Cavs missed a lot of wide open shots last night. Love is playing well in my opinion, he is posting up more and is a real handful

Cabs out complaining again about the officials and the officiating. I’d expect a lot of soft calls as a make up in games 3 and 4 as a result.

If you’re LeBron, you have to jump on that and drive to the basket a lot more in those games than you did in G2. He seemed to be settling more for jumpers (and to a lesser degree passing) in G2, whereas in G1 he was in and out all game. He’s basically unstoppable when doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The wait between games is killing me!

I'm predicting another comfortable win for the Warriors tonight.
    Just watch how they defended LeBron in Game 2. The Cavs were not up to much from outside the arc so the Warriors were able to set themselves up to help on LeBron. As a result they crowded around him and reduced his ability to drive to basket considerably.
    Cav's guards need to step up and make shots tonight if they want to even keep this a close game.

If the Cavs are to win a game, this is the most likely one.
    • At home
    • GS complacency
    • They've been bitchin' about the refs for 5 days, I'd expect a lot of calls to go their way as "make ups"
    • LeBron to have a huge game but also to shoot 12+ Free Throws (related to the calls above)
    • Crazy crowd who feel like they were screwed in Game 1 etc.
    • The NBA doesn't want a sweep
    If GS really want it and are dialled in, they win; but if not I can see Cleveland taking it.

BTW, I'm really liking The White Mamba himself as an analyst. Comes across really well.

KD with 7 rebounds in Q1.
    Rest of Warriors have 0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Cavs need to win tonight. If the Warriors win then I think the Cavs take game 4 but by then it's too late, to have any chance they need both at home. Looking pretty good so far too.

Cavs need to win tonight. If the Warriors win then I think the Cavs take game 4 but by then it's too late, to have any chance they need both at home. Looking pretty good so far too.
    Warriors always have a strong 3rd quarter. If Cavs are leading after the 3rd hopefully they can see it out.

Cavs have been really strong on the boards so far which is probably why they have the lead.
    Amazingly they haven't shot a free throw yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Comfortable in the end for the Warriors.
    As was obvious after game 1, series was over.
    Hard to see anyone meeting this Warriors team over the next few years.

Just too much talent on the warriors team, end of story.
    I feel like the Warriors haven’t even hit 5th gear, they cruise in 3rd then hit 4th when needed.
    A lot of hate/jealousy towards this Warriors team but I hope people realize the suffering this franchise went through before the turnaround and despite people thinking getting Durrant turned it around, it was change of ownership, great draft picks, great management hires and great decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As if there was much hope before tonight for the cavs. It's over bar the shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I feel like the Warriors haven’t even hit 5th gear, they cruise in 3rd then hit 4th when needed.
    A lot of hate/jealousy towards this Warriors team but I hope people realize the suffering this franchise went through before the turnaround and despite people thinking getting Durrant turned it around, it was change of ownership, great draft picks, great management hires and great decisions

Durant put it over the top. LeBron vs the three + Iggy was a very close worthy match up. Now it’s four hall of famers at peak on the floor. Cavs locked down Curry and Thompson last night allowing Durant an opportunity to score.

Anyway, the prices on offer before each game have been instructive. Vegas thought it would be an easy sweep and they were right.

And the biggest one of all Curry being injured a lot with his (then) glass ankles that allowed them to extend his rookie deal on the cheap. Curry’s injury profile was so bad in the early years there was talk of him being out of the league after his rookie deal or being traded. It’s the single biggest piece of the puzzle and the one huge piece of “luck” they had. If Curry has been great immediately they couldn’t have gotten him to sign for what he did = no Iggy, no KD etc. In his first MVP season he was the 5th best paid player on the team (from memory).

On Curry and his ankles, I linked it a few years back but there’s an article about him rebuilding his lower body - worth a look for anyone interested in biomechanics and injuries etc. He hasn’t been injury free since but the type of injury has changed (he doesn’t roll his ankles anymore per se), recovery time is quicker and his leg strength in incredible. I’ll try and dig it out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A legacy game there from Durant.

but it highlighted the whole problem for the Cavs; one that we all knew. it's all well and good restricting Curry. And even also restricting Klay. But the idea that they could tie down all 3 of them with that Cavs team was always far fetched.

One of them is going to get you.

And the biggest one of all Curry being injured a lot with his (then) glass ankles that allowed them to extend his rookie deal on the cheap. Curry’s injury profile was so bad in the early years there was talk of him being out of the league after his rookie deal or being traded. It’s the single biggest piece of the puzzle and the one huge piece of “luck” they had. If Curry has been great immediately they couldn’t have gotten him to sign for what he did = no Iggy, no KD etc. In his first MVP season he was the 5th best paid player on the team (from memory).

On Curry and his ankles, I linked it a few years back but there’s an article about him rebuilding his lower body - worth a look for anyone interested in biomechanics and injuries etc. He hasn’t been injury free since but the type of injury has changed (he doesn’t roll his ankles anymore per se), recovery time is quicker and his leg strength in incredible. I’ll try and dig it out later.

100%. I will be the first to admit I was pretty gutted when Monte left, loved him. No one ever thought Curry would do this and if they said they did then they are a lying.

100%. I will be the first to admit I was pretty gutted when Monte left, loved him. No one ever thought Curry would do this and if they said they did then they are a lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

The hate I feel is mostly aimed at Durant making such a cowardly move to join the Warriors. We would have had some epic playoff games this year and last if he had formed his own super team somewhere (say if he joined the Rockets).

Instead he joined a team that was already a NBA championship caliber team and has ruined the playoffs for neutral fans.

• Advertisement

vetinari wrote: »
    The hate I feel is mostly aimed at Durant making such a cowardly move to join the Warriors. We would have had some epic playoff games this year and last if he had formed his own super team somewhere (say if he joined the Rockets).

Instead he joined a team that was already a NBA championship caliber team and has ruined the playoffs for neutral fans.

Ah...then you should direct some of that hate at LeBron. If he hadn't made "The Decision" to go and form his own super team in Miami, Durant never likely never leaves OKC. Be careful what you wish for.

This exact topic was covered in depth on one of my regular podcasts (can't remember which I'm sorry as I listen to a lot of basketball pods) but LeBron's 2010 move was the single biggest factor in the recent empowerment of players to pick and choose where they play. All agreed that move changed the market so significantly that Durant to GS likely never happens but for that move. It's an unintended consequence sure, but LeBron can't have it every way. He started the SuperTeam movement, whilst later claiming he's never played on one (lol).

Also btw, Durant is taking a lot less money to play in GS and have a chance at winning than he could get in the open market. LeBron on the other hand doesn't do discounts.

I don't like the Durant move for a lot of reasons, but mostly basketball fit wise. Do I blame him for wanting to win? No. Would I prefer if he had done it in OKC? Yes. But I find it hard to overly criticise him for taking a discount to win when other (lesser) players are screwing teams financially and they have no chance of winning anything.

Question for you - was LeBron cowardly to join Miami when he couldn't cross the line in Cleveland? I'm just curious as to your perception on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement