Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Stupid from Thompson, could easily see him being suspended for Game 2 which could be huge from the Cavs, 20 minutes they'd have to find elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Doesn't matter, the Cavs had one shot of winning a road game.
    They'll be blown out next time.
    Series is over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

kmart6 wrote: »
    I can get $900 for my ticket to game 1, iam really torn. Playing with house money so iam not losing anything if I go but $900 is $900
    Up for sale, was a no brainer in the end, might have to drop to $850 if no takers tonight.
    The fact it could very well be a blow out made decision easier, insane money for someone to pay but hey, I can’t really complain. I would nearly rather the demand was less so I wouldn’t even want to sell

Did you shift it? Saw the numbers still available before the game started, definitely some fatigue with this matchup.

Honestly, I ****ed up, put it up for sale too late, it’s tricky cos you got to put them up ASAP to get max price, fatigue definitely set in, I was honestly going to go today but I procrastinated and I sold mine for $500. I was going but I left it too late, I didn’t want to face nightmare traffic etc, I like to get there early and relax, I hate rushing to games
    Was a good game, should of went but ah well, I enjoyed it all the same, at least I am home early ....lol

Warriors dodged a bullet again, I know they are finding ways to win with a bit of luck but man it’s frustrating.
    In fairness LeBron was unreal again and JR Smith’s crazy crazy decision was just mind blowing, he is definitely not getting an Xmas card of Lebron

I enjoyed the game, I don’t think the warriors were as sloppy as before but they weren’t exactly setting it alight

vetinari wrote: »
    Total horse**** call by the refs reversing that call.
    The Warriors are getting some key calls.

Absolute brain dead by JR at the end. He's such a ****ing idiot.
    I have no idea why they keep playing him.
    His shot selection and shooting is woeful.

Well to be honest, lebron was moving, that’s just a fact. I was surprised it was reversed cos it was close but he was moving.
    Lots of mixed calls, losing team will always complain more, that’s just how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

JR 100% thought they had the lead there.
    He said he knew the game was tied.  He dribbled out and looked at LeBron and thought he was going to call a timeout so he paused.

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    JR 100% thought they had the lead there.
    He said he knew the game was tied.  He dribbled out and looked at LeBron and thought he was going to call a timeout so he paused.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whelp, if 51 won’t get it done it probably can’t be done. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,178 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and that's that.

no way Cavs are winning a game on the road now. they're done. there isn't a chance they can regroup in time to make a proper go of Game 2, the GS will win at least one of the games back in Cleveland, if not two.

disgraceful reversal by the referees at as key a moment as you can get.

then JR doing that was utterly inexcusable.

LeBron did all he could. if 51 points can't do it, then it's just not possible to beat GS with this team.

LeBron's night:

1. Get intentionally and very badly poked in the eye by Green.
    2. Have probably the best game of your life in Game 1 of the finals.
    3. Have the refs make several really terrible calls that go against your team at the end of the 4th.
    4. Battle back and have the refs then review their call which obviously should not be reviewed since you are very very far from the restricted zone and have it overturned which almost never happens and never happens in a finals game.
    5. Battle back from that and have JR rebound a missed free throw when you are wide open in the closing seconds and run to half court.

He looked absolutely deflated in the post match presser, worse than I’ve ever seen from him.

SlickRic wrote: »

452198.PNG
    Durant was in front of him.  I would have given him a 20% chance of scoring over Durant.  Even if he scored the Warriors would have advanced the ball with a timeout to try to tie or win the game.  If he got blocked or missed the Warriors would have likely got possession since Draymond Green was immediately there to help Durant.  They would have advanced the ball with a timeout.

The best thing he could have done was to call a timeout when he rebounded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,178 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He looked absolutely deflated in the post match presser, worse than I’ve ever seen from him.

this is why the series is done.

he didn't even try having his normal 'feel them out' night in Game 1. He said 'fúck this' and had the game of his life to try and sucker punch GS in Game 1, to at least try and get momentum and make them think.

also, he'll have known that for the Cavs to have even a sliver of a chance, they have to win every 50/50 game in this series.

the Cavs will win max 1 game now, and will probably get swept.

this is why the series is done.

he didn't even try having his normal 'feel them out' night in Game 1. He said 'fúck this' and had the game of his life to try and sucker punch GS in Game 1, to at least try and get momentum and make them think.

also, he'll have known that for the Cavs to have even a sliver of a chance, they have to win every 50/50 game in this series.

the Cavs will win max 1 game now, and will probably get swept.

Fully agreed. He balled out of his mind, left it all out there.

Well to be honest, lebron was moving, that’s just a fact. I was surprised it was reversed cos it was close but he was moving.
    Lots of mixed calls, losing team will always complain more, that’s just how it is

Sorry, but that's a really poor defense of the reversal.
    I think it could have been called either way.
    I'd agree that it's more likely a block than a charge.
    However, foul call reversals are extremely rare in basketball.
    To have one in that situation is insane. It definitely wasn't 100% clear that it should be reversed.

Terrible by the refs.

LeBron's night:

3. Have the refs make several really terrible calls that go against your team at the end of the 4th.
    4. Battle back and have the refs then review their call which obviously should not be reviewed since you are very very far from the restricted zone and have it overturned which almost never happens and never happens in a finals game.
    5. Battle back from that and have JR rebound a missed free throw when you are wide open in the closing seconds and run to half court.

In points 1,3 and 4

We don’t know if it was intentional, it was a foul obviously but to say he intentionally poked him in the eye is a stretch, neither of us know.
    Did JR Smith intentionally take Klay out of it ??? Probably not, just a slip on a hustle play but we could all make accusations on isolated plays
    Refs made bad calls both ways, Lebron didn’t help himself with the constant crying and complaining to the ref, there was one or two calls he didn’t get but Curry gets constantly fouled and beer gets the call
    Swings and roundabouts
    Major call of game...I was surprised, very surprised but it was the right call...?? lebron was still moving, that’s pretty clear to me

To have one in that situation is insane. It definitely wasn't 100% clear that it should be reversed.

Terrible by the refs.
    I would agree with most of that, obviously Iam a huge Warriors fan (before they were good) so I might not be that objective, I’ll just say he wasn’t set and the call was technically right yet surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Total horse**** call by the refs reversing that call.
    The Warriors are getting some key calls.

Absolute brain dead by JR at the end. He's such a ****ing idiot.
    I have no idea why they keep playing him.
    His shot selection and shooting is woeful.
    and that's that.

no way Cavs are winning a game on the road now. they're done. there isn't a chance they can regroup in time to make a proper go of Game 2, the GS will win at least one of the games back in Cleveland, if not two.

disgraceful reversal by the referees at as key a moment as you can get.

LeBron did all he could. if 51 points can't do it, then it's just not possible to beat GS with this team.
    LeBron's night:

Terrible by the refs.

INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE BY LeBron. Just incredible. Possibly the best I've ever seen him play. Should have had a 50+ point triple double in the Finals if his team mates could hit some wide open shots.

But I just knew there'd be people saying it was the wrong call.

IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL.

Do you not want the right call? In the Finals? Do you really not want them to get those calls right, even by review?

1 of the officials called a charge and one of the others a block. They HAD to review it. And they got it right.

They did not have to review it. That's kind of the point.
    This is the first block / charge review I've seen in this entire playoffs.
    Out of nowhere call reversals will make you look incredibly bad as a ref.
    Even if you're probably right.

For instance, there were a number of ball strips (non reviewable calls) that were given incorrectly as fouls.
    James Harden also had a 4 point play opportunity nullified in game 7 due to a bad call.
    Reversing a block / charge judgement call should be overwhelmingly clear.
    That wasn't.

They did not have to review it. That's kind of the point.
    This is the first block / charge review I've seen in this entire playoffs.
    Out of nowhere call reversals will make you look incredibly bad as a ref.
    Even if you're probably right.

For instance, there were a number of ball strips (non reviewable calls) that were given incorrectly as fouls.
    James Harden also had a 4 point play opportunity nullified in game 7 due to a bad call.
    Reversing a block / charge judgement call should be overwhelmingly clear.
    That wasn't.

And again, one ref called it one way, another called it another. AND IT WAS IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES - they can review any call in the last 2 minutes. They did the right thing.

Also btw, he's not square. Small point, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Ronnie Nunn (former head of NBA refs) usually does good reviews of controversial calls on BBall Breakdown. I haven't checked yet and can't right now, but I'd like to hear his take on it. I'd be shocked if he said it was the wrong call. And he's not afraid to call it when they mess up.

Dunc'd On talk about it for about 10mins from memory on today's pod, both hosts agreed it was the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sounds like he's trying to make it sound better for himself there :p

"I thought we were ahead"

FemaleUnsightlyArrowana-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement

In points 1,3 and 4

We don’t know if it was intentional, it was a foul obviously but to say he intentionally poked him in the eye is a stretch, neither of us know.

I've ignored the rest of your post just because I don't like engaging in back and forths on NBA reffing. The reffing is always inconsistent and I'm happy to leave it at agree to disagree.

But, while we don't know it was intentional, we know the player and his history. He's capable of it, and it's the type of thing he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I just enjoy Lebron infinitely more than the Warriors stars. I liked the Warriors 2 and 3 years ago, but they’ve been front running tools ever since they added KD.

I’m totally bored with Cavs-Warriors at this point, but that was a really good game. That probably was Cleveland’s chance at winning the series.

In points 1,3 and 4

I've ignored the rest of your post just because I don't like engaging in back and forths on NBA reffing. The reffing is always inconsistent and I'm happy to leave it at agree to disagree.

But, while we don't know it was intentional, we know the player and his history. He's capable of it, and it's the type of thing he does.

That’s fair enough, I am capable of a lot of things but doesn’t mean they are true

In points 1,3 and 4

That’s fair enough, I am capable of a lot of things but doesn’t mean they are true

In points 1,3 and 4

In points 1,3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Very entertaining game.

I've said before I hate reviewing fouls or anything of that nature so I wasn't a fan of reversing the call but it was a blocking foul in fairness. LeBron got away with a goaltend in an earlier game so I suppose it balances out. I just think these marginal decisions should be left to the refs on the spot.

J.R is getting a lot of the blame but the Cavs still had a chance after that so it's probably a bit much. Id say he will be getting a lot of hatemail from the LBJ bandwagon crew-I seen a poster here call him an "fvcking idiot" earlier which is a bit harsh. I would have expected a time out once he caught the rebound too in fairness, call a TO and draw up a high percentage play does seem like the right call.

I still think Looney is a liability in the starting 5, it's so tempting for the Cavs to go at him and Curry when they are both on the floor.

Sounds like he's trying to make it sound better for himself there :p

"I thought we were ahead"

FemaleUnsightlyArrowana-size_restricted.gif
    It didn't look like he said "ahead."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, uhh....
    fúck.

6HzBloc.jpg

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, uhh....
    fúck.

6HzBloc.jpg

Jesus that’s just a shocking defensive coverage on a set play/clock stopped situation like that, and that’s ignoring KD’s failure to block out. You’d assume they practice that kind of stuff...but maybe not. And the one guy they leave wide open? Shocking.

I’d call that an end of game situation failure at Irish National League level, let alone the NBA. Why is there no one beside LeBron at the free throw situation???!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement