Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

I wonder would a loan for UCD take into account the increase in fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

I don't think they're capped. I read through some of the old threads on this board, and someone in year 2 would say something along the lines of "fees are 12.8k this year but will be increasing to 13.5k next year". Fees have been steadily increasing.

Thanks for this info. Good to know so we can factor in some inflation then when budgeting for the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Just got a notification from the CAO telling me they have my Gamsat score, and I just checked and it's there. You should be able to see it in the My Application section of the website.
    And also, fees aren't capped. Chances are, you'll be paying a much bigger whack in four years time than you'll be giving away in August!

Does anyone know is it just bank of Ireland that are offering the GEM loan at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Yes it's only BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Beariski01

I'd advise getting in contact with BOI early on with regards to the GEM loan. I contacted them in June and they looked over my application and told me what documents to get together so I had time to get it all sorted and my application was ready to go when the offers came out in August.

They required a suitable guarantor to sign with me (from what I understand this is common practice) and I had to get the documentation to show the finance of my guarantor to demonstrate their ability to repay on my behalf if I was unable to meet repayments. I have heard of a few people that were not able to secure the loan and had to drop out as a result so its best to get the process started early!

Congrats on the GAMSAT results by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Does guarantor have to be a parent?

Mine happened to be but I don't know if its a stipulation. I'd say any close family member would probably be ok but the guy I was dealing with in the college BOI branch was really helpful and they'd probably be able to tell you straight away. I'd just give them a ring if I was you :)

Ok thanks. I thought I saw something about parental guarantor.

Ok thanks. I thought I saw something about parental guarantor.

Sorry I can't really remember to be honest but they were quite tough in terms of the documentation required and were unsure if my guarantor was suitable but I managed to get approved by the skin of my teeth in the end!

• Advertisement

What was making them unsure if you don't mind me asking?

What was making them unsure if you don't mind me asking?

Just they wanted a fair amount of information about their finances and if they earned enough per week to cover repayments....it was a nervous wait but the guarantor was accepted in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

I definitely agree with ringing BOI and discussing your case individually as with any substantial loan from banks they need to look at each case in fine detail and everyone’s financial situation and the financial situation of the guarantor is probably going to be different. The person I was dealing with said that the guarantor had to be a relative and that they would need proof that they could repay the loan on the off chance that you defaulted. In my case my mom died when I was young and my dad is retired, a retired person as a guarantor is ok as long as they have cash built up that could fund the loan in case you default on the loan. As for the country of residence of the guarantor she said it is easier if they are in Ireland or the UK as it would be much easier to access their financial records and credit ratings but didn’t explicitly rule out a guarantor living in another country. In terms of interest rates I think she said it is 6.7% and it begins as soon as you draw down the loan.

My point is that every situation is going to be different and so I would definitely encourage contacting BOI soon if you are considering the loan option to get your ducks in a row and it’s one less thing to worry about. At the open day in UCC they also stressed the importance of getting your finances in order to fund your GEM course as soon as you possibly can...

Apologies the interest rate is 6.3%

Limk88 wrote: »
    I definitely agree with ringing BOI and discussing your case individually as with any substantial loan from banks they need to look at each case in fine detail and everyone’s financial situation and the financial situation of the guarantor is probably going to be different. The person I was dealing with said that the guarantor had to be a relative and that they would need proof that they could repay the loan on the off chance that you defaulted. In my case my mom died when I was young and my dad is retired, a retired person as a guarantor is ok as long as they have cash built up that could fund the loan in case you default on the loan. As for the country of residence of the guarantor she said it is easier if they are in Ireland or the UK as it would be much easier to access their financial records and credit ratings but didn’t explicitly rule out a guarantor living in another country. In terms of interest rates I think she said it is 6.7% and it begins as soon as you draw down the loan.

My point is that every situation is going to be different and so I would definitely encourage contacting BOI soon if you are considering the loan option to get your ducks in a row and it’s one less thing to worry about. At the open day in UCC they also stressed the importance of getting your finances in order to fund your GEM course as soon as you possibly can...

Thanks for the advice I'm going to try and get on to them asap! It would be awful to miss out on a place because you couldn't secure a loan

Hey I have a massive box of Gamsat notes, prep, papers etc. Like huge. It has science books, the lot. Where would be the best place to try and offload it? I'm dying to get that corner of my spare room back and not be reminded of the horror each time I go in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Hey, I bought all my Gamsat stuff on Adverts off this absolute legend! She was so helpful and the materials were amazing

Yeah I got some stuff off adverts.ie too, I'd say that's your best bet :)

I know it's impossible to say but would anyone have any guesses as to what a 'safe' gamsat score might be for any of the colleges? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

Based on cut-off scores for the past 7 years'
    60+ Safe for all
    59  Safe for UCC and UL
    56-58 Safe for UL

Safe when referring to certain cut-off scores each Medical school hasn't reached yet

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I put an ad on adverts.ie so hopefully the notes will help another poor soul while also helping my soon to be very poor pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I paid over £100 for PDFs of all my notes. I've no problem sharing them. I hope none of the 20+ people I've sent notes to for FREE, are cashing in on them.

I paid over £100 for PDFs of all my notes. I've no problem sharing them. I hope none of the 20+ people I've sent notes to for FREE, are cashing in on them.

That sounds like a post making assumptions. I'm selling books I bought myself, and notes I printed out, at significant cost to myself, (I actually reimbursed my employer 378 euro for all the printing I did) including very expensive prep materials. I've also advertised my own very thick folder of self-written notes. Not selling any pdfs whatseoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Random question, just wondering if anyone knows for any of GEM UCC, UCD or RCSI, at what stage do you actually link up with the undergrads? Or do you do mixed modules with them from the start of first year for certain subjects? Thanks

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Random question, just wondering if anyone knows for any of GEM UCC, UCD or RCSI, at what stage do you actually link up with the undergrads? Or do you do mixed modules with them from the start of first year for certain subjects? Thanks

Hey Kirby2k07 I know that in UCC the 3rd year GEMs join up with the 4th year undergrads and they complete their last 2 years as the one class

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

Kirby2k07 wrote: »

UCD: A couple of modules throughout the first two years, and completely from year 3 (Res year). Also on/off on nights out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Specsy

Hi all,

Having scored a 62 in the gamsat this year I am hoping to be offered a place in rcsi (EU student). The minimum gamsat score listed on their site is 58 for 2017.

With 30 places for EU students and 52 for non-eu, would a score of 62 mean guaranteed entry? Or is it possible that the cut off for EU students was higher than 58 and the cutoff listed on their website is for non-eu as there are more places and hence less competition? Would I be safer putting down UCD as number 1 due to more EU places?

Many thanks

Specsy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Having scored a 62 in the gamsat this year I am hoping to be offered a place in rcsi (EU student). The minimum gamsat score listed on their site is 58 for 2017.

With 30 places for EU students and 52 for non-eu, would a score of 62 mean guaranteed entry? Or is it possible that the cut off for EU students was higher than 58 and the cutoff listed on their website is for non-eu as there are more places and hence less competition? Would I be safer putting down UCD as number 1 due to more EU places?

Many thanks

Hey Specsy first of all congratulations on the brilliant GAMSAT score! As far as I’m aware the scores are for EU candidates... if you want to get clarification though then I would email the universities to double check!

I would always advise that you put the place that you want to go to first, list your preferences based on where you would like to study medicine not the courses that you think you will get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HopefulGEM18

Hey i was just wondering if anybody got offered any place before that wasn't their first choice? I have a score of 57 and I am debating whether to change my first choice from Dublin to Limerick because I would be guaranteed a place in Limerick (girl in admissions office told me this). I am from Dublin but I'm worried that if I don't change my first choice to Limerick that the Dublin points won't come down either and I will just be left having to wait another year.

Any advice?

• Advertisement

Hey i was just wondering if anybody got offered any place before that wasn't their first choice? I have a score of 57 and I am debating whether to change my first choice from Dublin to Limerick because I would be guaranteed a place in Limerick (girl in admissions office told me this). I am from Dublin but I'm worried that if I don't change my first choice to Limerick that the Dublin points won't come down either and I will just be left having to wait another year.

Any advice?

the cao works the same for GEM as it does for undergrad - You list the courses in order of preference and then you get offered whatever one that you have the points for that's highest in your list of preference... e.g. If you have Dublin as 1 and limerick as 2 and Dublin ends up having a cutoff score of 58 and limerick 54 well then you will still get offered limerick?
    Not sure if that makes sense.. but basically your not losing out by having Dublin first regardless of what the cut off scores end up being (so long as you have limerick somewhere on the list)

Advertisement