Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I didn't sit them. Practicing in the states isn't something I'm interested in!
    After hearing about that price, I'm also dis-interested lool

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Is it €5k for actually sitting the exam or for the materials? Because I know UCD fund the USMLE training anyway, as long as you tell them your result after

Is it €5k for actually sitting the exam or for the materials? Because I know UCD fund the USMLE training anyway, as long as you tell them your result after
    If that's the case then i might pick UCD over the other Unis, just for the open options

If that's the case then i might pick UCD over the other Unis, just for the open options

I think the other universities provide USMLE training as well, from what I've researched anyway

Also, does anyone know for internships do you have to do your internship in a hospital linked to your college or can you, for example, study at UCC then intern at St. Vincents or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I didn't know that UCD funded USMLE, good to know. It's also my first choice.

Anita, can you tell us about the opportunities abroad? I remember them talking about opportunities to Philadelphia after second or third year but it wasn't clear to me if that was an a long standing connection. Sounded good.

I think the other universities provide USMLE training as well, from what I've researched anyway

Also, does anyone know for internships do you have to do your internship in a hospital linked to your college or can you, for example, study at UCC then intern at St. Vincents or something?

In the past you had to do it in a hospital linked to your university, but in recent years (not sure how long) you're ranked based on your class ranking and are allocated a place based on that after filling out your order of preference - I think it's a CAO type system.

That could change by the time we finish though.

• Advertisement

I'm also planning on taking my Medical Elective in Cambridge,UK so I could be close to home during that period

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

indiep wrote: »
    Anyone sitting on 56 worried UL might jump up?

I’m sitting on 55 and worried it will jump - i rang UL and the CAO yesterday for advice regarding handing in my work notice but they weren’t giving anything away regarding what they think the GAMSAT score will be... at 56 think you are safe enough! Congrats on the score!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

Nah it's all centralised now. It's based on your centile rank in your class. I went to Vinnies as a UCD grad, and had plenty of people from other colleges there.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

As Pierre Robin says, you can go anywhere. However from a career advancement point of view, if you want to get on the spr schemes you need to be in the big training hospitals in dublin where there is a very big unwritten bias towards the trainees there.

I'm also planning on taking my Medical Elective in Cambridge,UK so I could be close to home during that period

Why are you doing GEM in Ireland? It's more expensive here than in the U.K. Do you intend on doing intern year here or moving back to the U.K. to do it there?

• Advertisement

As Pierre Robin says, you can go anywhere. However from a career advancement point of view, if you want to get on the spr schemes you need to be in the big training hospitals in dublin where there is a very big unwritten bias towards the trainees there.

Going on my post history I don't agree with Brendan much, but he has a point here. Bigger hospitals will give you a chance to network with people who run the schemes in your field of choice.

Why are you doing GEM in Ireland? It's more expensive here than in the U.K. Do you intend on doing intern year here or moving back to the U.K. to do it there?
    Good question, it's a whole different game-ball over here, its even rare to have british students applying to ireland because the route is unknown. (I'll prefer to keep it to myself so the application pool doesn't get tough)
     As a graduate I had an option between applying for the 5/6 year course or the graduate-entry. 
    The 5/6year course was out of the question for me, I won't recieve funding since im a graduate.
    And Unfortunately the GEM schools in the UK are so competitive and limited, we are restricted to apply to 4 medical schools each year out of about 14 GEM schools.
    Furthermore, only a 6 British Medical schools do the gamsat and they all have a cut off score from 63-68 and that's just to get an interview! (this is because of the limited places + tuition is paid for by the NHS)

Most UK Medical schools have another examination called the UKCAT test, with an even HARDER cut off score equivalent to gamsat
    (i.e The average UKCAT score is about 600-610 overall, you can get an interview with a 620 overall when applying for the 5/6 year course, but you'll need a whopping 700-740 score to just get an interview to a GEMS, so that's approx a gamsat score of 75...imagine that)
    So I attempted this test, twice, the highest overall score I achieved was 650, not enough for Graduate-entry and i got a denied from all my offers.
    Plus the spaces in each medical schools are extremely limited, on average about 30-40 places each for GEM, while the 5/6 year course are normally triple the places.
    So you see my journey has been saved by having Ireland as an option rather than attempting UK next year. When it comes to affordable tuition, Irish GEMS > UK 5/6year course

Another thing guys. If you didn't get a score good enough for an Irish university, keep your eyes on the new North West GEMS course in derry. This will be a much cheaper option for Irish students with fees of only 5k per year. Lot of spaces too so Gamsat entry scores should be lower.

https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/life-and-health-sciences/graduate-entry-medical-school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I never heard that during my time in UCD. USMLE 'training' by the colleges simply involves a few extra classes in the run up to the exam. It's nothing significant.

The USMLE itself costs 5-10k and as far as I'm aware it's closer to 10k. That's for exam costs, travel costs (you have to sit step 2/3 in the States) and materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I didn't know that UCD funded USMLE, good to know. It's also my first choice.

Anita, can you tell us about the opportunities abroad? I remember them talking about opportunities to Philadelphia after second or third year but it wasn't clear to me if that was an a long standing connection. Sounded good.

UCD (and RCSI) have partnerships with various universities abroad and offer partially funded electives. Generally they will pay for the cost of the elective itself and you pay for travel, accommodation. Some electives also included a 2 grand stipend to cover these costs. It's a competition and is based on your GPA.

Can't really remember where the universities were but it was New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Kansas, Rhode Island and then some European countries. In general though US electives require someone to sit the USMLE

I never heard that during my time in UCD. USMLE 'training' by the colleges simply involves a few extra classes in the run up to the exam. It's nothing significant.

Same. They ran a Kaplan test exam if I remember. UCD made it sound like they were doing it to help, but once they had the scores and thus your likelihood of doing well on the actual exam they started pestering people about postponing the exam so as not to worsen the university's stats. They didn't offer any further tuition or anything at that point.

I didn't sit the test exam and remember getting almost daily calls from the school office trying to convince me to.

Waste of $$$ on my part. Thank God I only did Step 1.

Same. They ran a Kaplan test exam if I remember. UCD made it sound like they were doing it to help, but once they had the scores and thus your likelihood of doing well on the actual exam they started pestering people about postponing the exam so as not to worsen the university's stats. They didn't offer any further tuition or anything at that point.

I didn't sit the test exam and remember getting almost daily calls from the school office trying to convince me to.

Waste of $$$ on my part. Thank God I only did Step 1.

Might be no harm to finish them out to keep your fellowship options open

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

medgirl18 wrote: »
    It says somewhere on the CAO website that gamsat will communicate all the March 2018 scores to the cao but if you're using a result from a previous date then you must send that in yourself :) Same here, can't wait to sleep properly tonight!!

I totally forgot about this. I think I do have my CAO number linked to Acer though. What about a much earlier sitting, will the results for that be on CAO's records??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

santino wrote: »
    I totally forgot about this. I think I do have my CAO number linked to Acer though. What about a much earlier sitting, will the results for that be on CAO's records??

Here's the PDF with all the details. You've to send a copy of your older results (as long as they aren't from before Sept 2016) to cao by post before July 1st. You have plenty of time :)

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2018/GraduateEntryMedicine2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

I was just looking at the fees there for UCD and unfortunately they seem to have gone up by 1500.. I wonder will the others have similar increases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Up to what from what? ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Up to what from what? ****.

€14,931 to €16,500

The USMLE itself costs 5-10k and as far as I'm aware it's closer to 10k. That's for exam costs, travel costs (you have to sit step 2/3 in the States) and materials.
    I’m just saying what they told us at the grad med talk day at UCD back in november or so, I think someone asked if UCD provides USMLE classes and that’s what they said. Something to do with weekend or evening classes for USMLE

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

I didn't realise we weren't allowed curse on here. And the word I used is certainly not the worst 4 letter word!

Good question, it's a whole different game-ball over here, its even rare to have british students applying to ireland because the route is unknown. (I'll prefer to keep it to myself so the application pool doesn't get tough)
     As a graduate I had an option between applying for the 5/6 year course or the graduate-entry. 
    The 5/6year course was out of the question for me, I won't recieve funding since im a graduate.
    And Unfortunately the GEM schools in the UK are so competitive and limited, we are restricted to apply to 4 medical schools each year out of about 14 GEM schools.
    Furthermore, only a 6 British Medical schools do the gamsat and they all have a cut off score from 63-68 and that's just to get an interview! (this is because of the limited places + tuition is paid for by the NHS)

Most UK Medical schools have another examination called the UKCAT test, with an even HARDER cut off score equivalent to gamsat
    (i.e The average UKCAT score is about 600-610 overall, you can get an interview with a 620 overall when applying for the 5/6 year course, but you'll need a whopping 700-740 score to just get an interview to a GEMS, so that's approx a gamsat score of 75...imagine that)
    So I attempted this test, twice, the highest overall score I achieved was 650, not enough for Graduate-entry and i got a denied from all my offers.
    Plus the spaces in each medical schools are extremely limited, on average about 30-40 places each for GEM, while the 5/6 year course are normally triple the places.
    So you see my journey has been saved by having Ireland as an option rather than attempting UK next year. When it comes to affordable tuition, Irish GEMS > UK 5/6year course

Best of luck with your application here! You might be better off doing your intern year here and then heading back to the U.K. for further training if that's what you want. In Ireland they only guarantee internship spaces for E.U. citizens who completed their med school degrees in Ireland. An Irish person who studied abroad may not get a place for example, same for a North American studying here. As you intend on starting this year you should be fine and classified as EU through your degree as you will have started before Brexit. Do you have any Irish family connections?

e1994 wrote: »
    €14,931 to €16,500

That's a big increase! Could be near 20 by the time we finish.

It would be nice if the HSE would support students like the NHS do in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

That's a big increase! Could be near 20 by the time we finish.

It would be nice if the HSE would support students like the NHS do in the UK.

I presume once you start though your fees are capped at the initial year’s fees for the full four years? Does anyone know if this is the case? I know that’s usually the case for undergrad/postgrad degrees! It’s definitely a surprise that UCD’s jumped up by that much, I wonder will UL’s follow suit...

I presume once you start though your fees are capped at the initial year’s fees for the full four years? Does anyone know if this is the case? I know that’s usually the case for undergrad/postgrad degrees! It’s definitely a surprise that UCD’s jumped up by that much, I wonder will UL’s follow suit...

You can check on UCD's website for the fees for all courses starting in 2018/19 and it says that GEM is now €16,500

I don't think they're capped. I read through some of the old threads on this board, and someone in year 2 would say something along the lines of "fees are 12.8k this year but will be increasing to 13.5k next year". Fees have been steadily increasing.

• Advertisement

UCC is staying at €14,580 for 2018/2019, just checked their page. RCSI was €16,940 last year, not sure if they'll increase this year.

Advertisement