Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HopefulGEM18

Yeah that's what I thought too but when I rang UL yesterday they said they allocated their places to people who have UL as their first choice with a sufficient GAMSAT before allocating to applicants who have it as another preference position. Hence my confusion. Before calling them I also thought that it just defaulted to where I have the points for and bipassed the one I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Yeah that's what I thought too but when I rang UL yesterday they said they allocated their places to people who have UL as their first choice with a sufficient GAMSAT before allocating to applicants who have it as another preference position. Hence my confusion. Before calling them I also thought that it just defaulted to where I have the points for and bipassed the one I didn't.

No way sorry I never realised that! I just presumed it was the same system. I wonder could you try ringing the CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

Hey i was just wondering if anybody got offered any place before that wasn't their first choice? I have a score of 57 and I am debating whether to change my first choice from Dublin to Limerick because I would be guaranteed a place in Limerick (girl in admissions office told me this). I am from Dublin but I'm worried that if I don't change my first choice to Limerick that the Dublin points won't come down either and I will just be left having to wait another year.

Any advice?

If you don't have enough points for your first choice, you will still get your second or third choice if you've enough for that. So you can absolutely put Dublin as number 1 and if the points go up you will still get UL. It works the same way as the leaving cert. :)

I only have 54 and Limerick is my second choice, even though I'll need a miracle to get anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

Omg I commented before I saw this... that's crazy, I guess I'll change mine so haha

Yeah I know, that's why I don't know what to do. I have 57 and the points for rcsi and ucd could potentially drop to 57, they have in the past, so I don't know what to do. The lady in UL told me that last year there was 3 places offered in second round to people who had UL as the 3rd/2nd choice. I wanted to find out if anybody has previously been offered a place in UL and where they had it as a preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

Yeah I know, that's why I don't know what to do. I have 57 and the points for rcsi and ucd could potentially drop to 57, they have in the past, so I don't know what to do. The lady in UL told me that last year there was 3 places offered in second round to people who had UL as the 3rd/2nd choice. I wanted to find out if anybody has previously been offered a place in UL and where they had it as a preference?
    This sounds very strange and against I think what everyone else has heard... I think you should ring the CAO as someone else has mentioned previously - I imagine that if you are on a score that not all applicants get in on then they may prefer the ones that have that university first but your best bet is to ring the CAO to be sure.

I just looked at the CAO explanation and this is what it says;
    "You will be offered a place in the highest of your course preferences to which you are entitled. This will be done, independently, in respect of Level 8 and Level 7/Level 6 choices."

so maybe I should leave Dublin as my first? :/

Yeah I think you should.  If points drop as well then you will be kicking yourself that you put Limerick down first and you will definitely get an offer from Limerick :)

I rang the CAO but they have a message machine on. I've emailed them. Yeah I would have assumed it would default to the course you are eligible for. Apparently the universities meet with the CAO in July to go through scores and allocation of places. The girl in UL told me yesterday that the universities know who they're accepting in mid July, about 2 weeks before the students themselves find out.

So technically can we ring the universities in mid-July and ask them if we got in instead of waiting until the start of August? :)  She sounded quite helpful... when I rang UL a few weeks ago they didn't tell me anything, not even past GAMSAT entry scores but you can find all of them online if you google CAO round zero offers.

• Advertisement

Haha She was super nice. She was a girl in admissions. No she said you can't ring in July. I tried that haha

Ok everyone the cao responded and said "if not successful with your 1st choice then the application process will take into account the remaining course choices"

moral of the story? I'm leaving dublin as first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Jaysus this series of responses scared me! UL all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

Hey i was just wondering if anybody got offered any place before that wasn't their first choice? I have a score of 57 and I am debating whether to change my first choice from Dublin to Limerick because I would be guaranteed a place in Limerick (girl in admissions office told me this). I am from Dublin but I'm worried that if I don't change my first choice to Limerick that the Dublin points won't come down either and I will just be left having to wait another year.

Any advice?

Could be wrong but I am 99% certain GEM works like the regular CEO - i.e. you should always have your choices according to preference. If you don't get first choice you are first in line for second choice, and so on. So someone with a lower score than you but UL for first choice would not get a place over you with a higher score and UL as second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Guys it works the same as the normal cao.

Places are absolutely not offered based on who ranked the colleges 1st. If you rank Dublin first you will get it if you have the points, if not you will get your second or third choice.

This is absolute fact.

Not surprised someone from UL spread such misinformation to you, the course and admin there is appalling, I'd avoid it at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Guys it works the same as the normal cao.

Places are absolutely not offered based on who ranked the colleges 1st. If you rank Dublin first you will get it if you have the points, if not you will get your second or third choice.

This is absolute fact.

Not surprised someone from UL spread such misinformation to you, the course and admin there is appalling, I'd avoid it at all costs.

If you were applying to GEM what would your first choice be?

Not sure if you went through the undergrad or graduate route.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beariski01

UL was my first choice and I don't regret my decision ! Same as any course, you get what you put in to it

UCD would be my number 1
    UCC number 2
    RCSI

Then depending on what part of the country you're from id apply to North West GEMS for next year or else UL.

UCD is undoubtedly the best run programed. 100% of material tested in exams is delivered in lectures. This unfortunately is not the case in UL due to the haphazard, "medicine by breadcrumbs" nature of the PBL course down there.

Beariski01 wrote: »
    UL was my first choice and I don't regret my decision ! Same as any course, you get what you put in to it

I think this is a bit facetious. UL requires an exponential amount of greater effort to get through than somewhere like UCD.

UCD provides lecture material covering everything they can test.

UL will kindly tell you that you need to know all of microbiology, biochemistry, pathology , physiology etc and you then have to go and figure out where to learn all of that material from. Sporadic lectures given by GPs which are more suited to the clinical years rather than the pre clinical, have no relation to the exams.

UL will kindly tell you that you need to know all of microbiology, biochemistry, pathology , physiology etc and you then have to go and figure out where to learn all of that material from. Sporadic lectures given by GPs which are more suited to the clinical years rather than the pre clinical, have no relation to the exams.

I think that's kinda the point of PBL and self directed learning?

The lectures from GPs and consultants are based on the PBL case for that week and are relevant to the background biomedical sciences that need to be comprehended. Its true that we do a fair amount of clinical skills in our first 2 years which is then beneficial when we reach the hospitals in third year.

The style of learning suits some people and wouldn't suit others I guess. Its the right fit for me, I learn more now than I did in my undergrad which was didactic. I like being able to manage my own time in terms of when and what I learn and the PBL cases provide the framework of what needs to be covered. Its hard work but so is any medical degree. We can all have our own opinions :)

• Advertisement

@Celestial12 Current students from different medical schools would a be a good resource to give you the pros and cons of each so you can see which one would be the best fit for you. There are generally Facebook groups for current students of each school so that could be a good start, either way best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Digging online and randomly came across this, really in-depth look at what you'll be doing in first year, a student to student guide for RCSI gem http://online.fliphtml5.com/veau/mphq/#p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Digging online and randomly came across this, really in-depth look at what you'll be doing in first year, a student to student guide for RCSI gem http://online.fliphtml5.com/veau/mphq/#p=1

Just read through that, thanks for posting. Super interesting... and I also just got a stab of fear! There's a lot going on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Are ye hoping for rcsi?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

my choices
    1.UCD
    2.RCSI
    3.UL
    4.UCC

my choices
    1.UCD
    2.RCSI
    3.UL
    4.UCC
    Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Why ucd over rcsi?

Why ucd over rcsi?
    simple reasons;
    -Costs a little less studying in UCD for both tuition+living costs.
    -It's a lot more EU friendly, as in more spaces for us than for international students, therefore im more likely to get an offer with my gamsat score if i made UCD my first choice, while rcsi would feel more limited.
    -My Uncle studied at UCD medical school, so im more inclined to pick it lol
    In my opinion, ill be happy to get into either, they are both tied in terms of overall reputation, but the points i raised really makes a difference for me.

indiep wrote: »
    my choices
    1.UCD
    2.RCSI
    3.UL
    4.UCC
    Same!
    Hey cool ! :D whats your reason for putting UL as 3rd choice

• Advertisement

indiep wrote: »
    my choices
    1.UCD
    2.RCSI
    3.UL
    4.UCC
    Same!
    Hey cool ! :D whats your reason for putting UL as 3rd choice
    Happy to get anything! UCD & RCSI above UL because I live in Dublin but my Gamsat would suggest UL is the place for me :D . I put UL 3rd because of the problem based learning and the feedback I've received from current students it sounds like its been well designed for the older demographic :)

Advertisement