Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

jmayo wrote: »
    BTW wes can you provide links to that assertion that there is blanket ban on coverage until series of linked trials are carried out?

I don't know if its a blanket ban or not (i assume you refer to the trial Tommy was there to "report" on). What I do know was that Robinson was arrested after he violated the terms of a suspended sentence while being outside a court. We also know that some of the accused are applying for a mistrial.

AFAIK, the outrage is not because Tommy was arrested, it is because within a few hours of being arrested, he was sentenced to thirteen months in prison; all done and dusted in one afternoon.

He had a previous suspended sentence, which he violated. My understanding is that in such violations, pretty much mean you go to jail right away. He already had his day in court, and violated the conditions of his release. So the outrage is jumped up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

we even had somebody post the full list of names of the accused despite the media blackout ordered by the court. It is like they almost want a mistrial. thankfully the mods nuked it.

Just wondering something. How could a list of names posted on an Irish site by an anonymous member cause the collapse of a trial in the UK? How far does that stretch? Can a court of another jurisdiction impose a reporting ban in a foreign country?

News stations from abroad were reporting on the 8th Amendment despite a media moratorium in this country, we could hardly tell them not to, or could we have? Have far of a reach would a local court have a media reporting ban on? Could a court in Panama tell a social media forum in Venezuela what it’s members can and can’t post? Not condoning the post made here if it hsopened, just curious as to the actual legalities of such an occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just wondering something. How could a list of names posted on an Irish site by an anonymous member cause the collapse of a trial in the UK? How far does that stretch? Can a court of another jurisdiction impose a reporting ban in a foreign country?

News stations from abroad were reporting on the 8th Amendment despite a media moratorium in this country, we could hardly tell them not to, or could we have? Have far of a reach would a local court have a media reporting ban on? Could a court in Panama tell a social media forum in Venezuela what it’s members can and can’t post? Not condoning the post made here if it hsopened, just curious as to the actual legalities of such an occurrence.

an english court has no power to impose reporting restrictions on this country. However if it is reported in this country the defendants could point to the publication in an attempt to declare a mistrial. Also the reporting restrictions are in place to protect the victims identities as much as the defendants. Anybody who breaks the restriction is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

wes wrote: »
    There are a series of trials. When, there all done, then the restrictions will be lifted, hence why Tommy was arrested. He knew what he was doing and he has no one, but himself to blame. Again, I think he did it in purpose to try and make himself to be some kind of martyr and that is working very well, as the world is full of useful idiots.

The thing is that the judge thinks there is a danger of a mistrial. Going to go out on a limb and say the judge is in a better place, than internet fanboys to make that judgement.

Links please.

BTW how can you have a mistrial in this case if he "reported" after the verdict was reached ?
    how do you know he has been locked up for 13 months? Seems a very odd sentence.

He is in Hull prison on a 13 month sentence.
    And by some accounts he did not have access to his solicitor.

BTW how many of the defendants families have ever been arrested outside of one these trials where they intimate victims and witnesses ?

Also does anyone know if the Sikh Awareness Society have been covering this case because they have covered a lot of the others and one in Leeds last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Its all alt right

Its really disturbing that your ok with people trying to cause a mistrial, because that is exactly what these idiots are doing.

Some of the accused could be released due to his actions.

A couple of things I really don't understand about this whole incident.

1. What would the reasoning be behind people, who allegedly hate these guys, wanting to cause a mistrial? Surely they would want to see them locked up.

2. If there is a possiblity some of the accused could be released due to his actions, why don't they just pay/call in a favour and get someone to do exactly what Tommy has done?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well, the accused are applying for mistrials. Also, the accused names have been spread around the Internet, including on this thread. Its amazing that you lads are so supportive of giving the accused more ammunition to get themselves a mistrial.

Listen I get that, that even a 0.01% of causing a mistrial is really stupid. I genuinely think he thought he was within the law, he was using words like 'alleged' and asking them 'are you guilty?' this time, he thought he was being careful. And you'd expect that after having been stabbed and had his teeth smashed in in prison.

I think there is some weirdness afoot regarding UK police and the likes of tommy. Last time he 'breached the peace' he also had his house raided at 4am.

Let's remember that he has been painted as a racist scumbag when he was shouting about the stuff in these cases very early on, finally a reporter caught on and a whole twisted mess was revealed, including authorities who didn't do their duty of care. So even if he was just calling it out cause he is racist, if people like him didn't who knows how long it would have went on. If that was a problem in your area, and you knew about it, and then by calling it out you were called a racist, would you feel maybe a little confused?

Just don't like any of it. People talking without thinking. I used to just assume he was a scumbag, he has courage I'll give him that.

an english court has no power to impose reporting restrictions on this country. However if it is reported in this country the defendants could point to the publication in an attempt to declare a mistrial. Also the reporting restrictions are in place to protect the victims identities as much as the defendants. Anybody who breaks the restriction is an idiot.

Ah ok. I can see one or two on here that would gladly PM such a post to their courts anyway to give them the heads up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Except that there might be. We don't know yet.

Its disturbing how flippant you are and again shows that so many don't actually care about justice for the victims, but care about there far right politics and promoting it, even at the risk of allowing the accused to go free.

No ones going free, keep up. I havent seen too much concern from you about the victims, just blind hatred for TR.

Links please.

BTW how can you have a mistrial in this case if he "reported" after the verdict was reached ?

He is in Hull prison on a 13 month sentence.
    And by some accounts he did not have access to his solicitor.

BTW how many of the defendants families have ever been arrested outside of one these trials where they intimate victims and witnesses ?

Also does anyone know if the Sikh Awareness Society have been covering this case because they have covered a lot of the others and one in Leeds last year?

i asked how you know this. you have simply restated what has been said previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

“Hey girls, Tommy Robinson filmed the guys that raped you outside the court so now your anonymity may be compromised... oh and the lads are going to get away with it now too”

1. What would the reasoning be behind people, who allegedly hate these guys, wanting to cause a mistrial? Surely they would want to see them locked up.

2. If there is a possiblity some of the accused could be released due to his actions, why don't they just pay/call in a favour and get someone to do exactly what Tommy has done?

you are assuming some kind of intelligence behind their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I don't get whats courageous in actively trying to cause a mistrial. Isn't this the exact thing Tommy wouldn't want to happen?.

At least we are seeing the hilarious nature of his fan boys here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Because Robinson and his cronies don't care about the victims. They only care about abusing Muslims. They're lowlife street thugs that just want to scream in any brown persons face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

AfterLife wrote: »
    Because Robinson and his cronies don't care about the victims. They only care about abusing Muslims. They're lowlife street thugs that just want to scream in any brown persons face.

Wow, would you be tarring all Tommy Robinson supporters with the same brush? Thats a bit extreme.

you are assuming some kind of intelligence behind their actions.

Yeah you're right, probably all just dumb lowlifes like that rayguns fella.

I don't buy this.

Yeah you're right, probably all just dumb lowlifes like that rayguns fella.

I have seen little to suggest it is otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

AFAIK, the outrage is not because Tommy was arrested, it is because within a few hours of being arrested, he was sentenced to thirteen months in prison; all done and dusted in one afternoon.

And no, I cannot provide a link, because the judge, Geoffrey Marson, immediately imposed a complete media blackout on everything that happened after the initial arrest.

Love or loathe Robinson, the powers that be are willing to go to any lengths to silence him, even if that means he's murdered while in prison. If you're comfortable with that, good for you, personally I find it quite disturbing.
    He's as good as an outlaw to the establishment. As you say, disturbing.

I have seen little to suggest it is otherwise.

A bit presumptuous, no?

• Advertisement

Links please.

To what? Plenty of links about this arrest on there already. No need to provide anymore.

Already answer, there is a series of trials, and I would trust a judge over Internet fanboys.

A bit presumptuous, no?

It is not like him and his ilk just appeared yesterday is it?

I have no idea what Robinson is up to, to be honest. It maybe the case that he is simply just that stupid.

Robinson is a high profile figure, it would be hard for them to find someone similar to do a favour for them, and if they were caught, they would just end up in more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nail on the head. Tommy Robinson has risked not only causing a mistrail and leading to these 'men' walking free, but he's also risked outing the identity of the victims.

But who cares about any of that when you can have a good Facebook rant about muslim conspiracy theories?

thebull85 wrote: »
    No ones going free, keep up.

We don't know that. Do keep up. No decision made yet on it.
    I havent seen too much concern from you about the victims, just blind hatred for TR.

That is rich coming from you. You referred to the release of the names as the job being done:
    How many people knew about this trial before friday? How many more know now? Millions more.. Job done.

You seem to think it ok to attempt to cause a mistrial as per the above post. You clearly don't care about justice for the victims, otherwise like any decent person, you would condemn any idiot who may jeopardize a successful prosecution, instead you call it "job done".

Again, your far right politics are all that matters to you, very clearly.

There we go again, the famous “brown people” comment only ever espoused by the left leaning folks. Anti-Islamist does not equate to anti-brown. You can agree with some, all or none of what Tommy says it still doesn’t change that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    There we go again, the famous “brown people” comment only ever espoused by the left leaning folks. Anti-Islamist does not equate to anti-brown. You can agree with some, all or none of what Tommy says it still doesn’t change that.

so it is just a coincidence that he only goes after non-white people?

I have no idea what Robinson is up to, to be honest. It maybe the case that he is simply just that stupid.

He doesn't seem that stupid to me to be honest.
    Robinson is a high profile figure, it would be hard for them to find someone similar to do a favour for them, and if they were caught, they would just end up in more trouble.

Be worth the risk though if it means saving a gang of them. Maybe a favour someone cannot refuse to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Advertisement

so it is just a coincidence that he only goes after non-white people?

Perhaps... or perhaps these scumbags that he’s going against have South Asian heritage and just happen to be from places where this type of carry on has been somewhat normalised and accepted. It’s not a race thing, it’s a cultural thing. It’s an ideology thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement