Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defence forces Recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Craigeer

P0dr1ck wrote: »
    Same, haven't heard anything, I went to the information briefing on Tuesday for the navy and the seargeant told us they will be sending out invitations this week and next week for the navy, I'm guessing the army will be the same. Just the wait is what's killing me :L

Same. Youd be egar to hear somthing wouldnt you . Did they say anything bout the navy fitness test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭P0dr1ck

Craigeer wrote: »
    P0dr1ck wrote: »
    Same, haven't heard anything, I went to the information briefing on Tuesday for the navy and the seargeant told us they will be sending out invitations this week and next week for the navy, I'm guessing the army will be the same. Just the wait is what's killing me :L

Same. Youd be egar to hear somthing wouldnt you . Did they say anything bout the navy fitness test ?
    Ye they said if you get the invitation you will have to go down to cork to do the fitness test, there is no way around it for the navy

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Donaldboy25

Mine is army 29th

Hey guys can someone give me a bit of advice i damaged my rotar cuff in my shoulder i can barely lift my hand above my shoulder does anyone know will i be disqualified if i cant do push ups or will i be ok if i get a letter to prove my injury

Hey guys can someone give me a bit of advice i damaged my rotar cuff in my shoulder i can barely lift my hand above my shoulder does anyone know will i be disqualified if i cant do push ups or will i be ok if i get a letter to prove my injury
    I don't think they will pass you, I would email them and ask if you can do it at a later stage, like the following week maybe, hopefully your injury will heal up by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ducky00

When is your medical? When did you injure it, I'm a physical therapist so hopefully some of the things i can suggest coukd help. take some anti inflammatries and ice it if it's a recent injury, rest it for a day or 2, then start doing exercise band rehab exercises. Tie the band off something and then do stuff like these:
    1. keeping your elbow bent and pulling the band across your body from left to right and then turn around and pull from right to left. i.e. internal and external shoulder rotation
    2. some slow and controlled "punching" movements with the band.
    3. In a high plant position ( up on your hands not forearms) cross your left hand to your right shoulder and vice versa. Do with no band and when it gets too easy try with a light band
    4. Put your hands through a small band, get into a high plank position and "walk" to the left for 10 steps and then back again.

Try to aim for 3 sets of 10 reps. If you have pain doing them, back off or only go as far as you can with the band pulls without pain and then build it up. Just so you know rotator cuff injuries can take weeks to fully heal depending on how bad you hurt it and when you started rehabbing it.

And obviously get seen to by a physical therapist or physiotherapist in person as soon as you can! They can try help you get to a stage where you can just do the 20 push ups for the tests and then follow up with them so that they can have you ready for training!

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Mine is army 29th

Hey what barracks are you going to

Hi its not the medical its the fitness test I can't do push ups its the rotator cuff tear I went my gp its severe he said its not going to heal on its own he booked me in to the hospital but heard nothing back I can't even lift my arm over my head

Craigeer wrote: »
    Hey what barracks are you going to

I'm in cork

I can't do any push ups at all its too sore
    Ducky00 wrote: »
    When is your medical? When did you injure it, I'm a physical therapist so hopefully some of the things i can suggest coukd help. take some anti inflammatries and ice it if it's a recent injury, rest it for a day or 2, then start doing exercise band rehab exercises. Tie the band off something and then do stuff like these:
    1. keeping your elbow bent and pulling the band across your body from left to right and then turn around and pull from right to left. i.e. internal and external shoulder rotation
    2. some slow and controlled "punching" movements with the band.
    3. In a high plant position ( up on your hands not forearms) cross your left hand to your right shoulder and vice versa. Do with no band and when it gets too easy try with a light band
    4. Put your hands through a small band, get into a high plank position and "walk" to the left for 10 steps and then back again.

Try to aim for 3 sets of 10 reps. If you have pain doing them, back off or only go as far as you can with the band pulls without pain and then build it up. Just so you know rotator cuff injuries can take weeks to fully heal depending on how bad you hurt it and when you started rehabbing it.

And obviously get seen to by a physical therapist or physiotherapist in person as soon as you can! They can try help you get to a stage where you can just do the 20 push ups for the tests and then follow up with them so that they can have you ready for training!

Hope this helps! And good luck!

• Advertisement

I can't do any push ups at all its too sore

Yeah forget the push ups for right now, you need to rehab your shoulder first and get you to a stage to just be able to pass the test or you'll just do more damage. Get seen to by a therapist

Ye my personal trainer is a therapist I pay 30 a day for training he said there's not a hope in hell my shoulder will be able for the push ups at fitness test if I get the letter from my gf will the army allow me to do push ups when shoulder healed and just do sit ups and run
    Yeah forget the push ups for right now, you need to rehab your shoulder first and get you to a stage to just be able to pass the test or you'll just do more damage. Get seen to by a therapist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mountain

Fitness test is a pass or fail item.
    Sometimes if you fail, you may get called back a few weeks later to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 S832938

mountain wrote: »
    Fitness test is a pass or fail item.
    Sometimes if you fail, you may get called back a few weeks later to try again.

Hi guys,
    my son still hasnt received his psycometric test yet he applied around 27/28 th april, ( for the army )anyone else in the same boat??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Warriors4

S832938 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    my son still hasnt received his psycometric test yet he applied around 27/28 th april, ( for the army )anyone else in the same boat??

Not sure but when I went for my fitness test/interview we were specifically told not to have anyone call up manpower on our behalf, that was only last Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Warriors4

Got an email today to say I was successful in interview/fitness ðŸ˜
    CHECK JUNK MAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jp93

Hi lads. Has anyone not heard back yet about a fitness/interview date ? I haven’t gotten anything since I completed the online exam ? Thanks

I got an email from the naval service talking about the results of the psych test and when we can expect things, I think this will apply to the army as well as I applied for both, so here is the email:
    "Dear Applicant,

Further to your application, we have had numerous queries regarding the Psychometric Test Results. Firstly you will be informed whether you pass or fail. Secondly due to the fact that Defence Forces HQ competition Section extended the competition from the initial closing date has put a delay on some results coming back as the candidates were split into two groups.

We at the Irish Naval Service do apologise for this delay, but as the last remaining candidates are due to complete the psychometric from the 25th May - 31st May inclusive. We would anticipate that all results would be back by 11th June 2018 (subject to change).

Thank you for your interest in the Irish Naval Service at this time. Should you have any other queries or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us at navy.recruitment@defenceforces.ie

Regards,

Recruitment Office
    Irish Naval Service"
    So could be another few weeks till we hear anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jp93

Thanks for reply it’s much appreciated, I thought they forgot about us lol thanks again

Warriors4 wrote: »
    CHECK JUNK MAIL

Congratulations and good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info

S832938 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The psychometric test came from 'Mindmill UK' not the army. Ask if he got an email from them.

Warriors4 wrote: »
    CHECK JUNK MAIL

Unreal well done! 🀘

The psychometric test came from 'Mindmill UK' not the army. Ask if he got an email from them.

Will do thanks

Jp93 wrote: »
    Hi lads. Has anyone not heard back yet about a fitness/interview date ? I haven’t gotten anything since I completed the online exam ? Thanks

Im the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Armyman12

Hi lads anyone still waiting to do the fitness test (cork area)

Armyman12 wrote: »
    Hi lads anyone still waiting to do the fitness test (cork area)

I havent heard anything either i think its around 11th of june theyll let us know somthing

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Hi there, does anyone know if they still test bodyfat if your BMI is slightly over?

I'm 90kg, 185cm.

I could maybe cut it to 86 but I want to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes, it's part of your physical fitness screening and will be done as part of your annual fitness testing throughout your career too. Unless your body fat is high it's nothing to be worried about. Plenty of people don't fit the BMI model for reasons of build or high muscle mass and regularly get the body fat check done.

Edited to add: Your BMI at that height and weight is about 26 as well so you won't be tested for body fat unless it's over 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Yes, it's part of your physical fitness screening and will be done as part of your annual fitness testing throughout your career too. Unless your body fat is high it's nothing to be worried about. Plenty of people don't fit the BMI model for reasons of build or high muscle mass and regularly get the body fat check done.

Edited to add: Your BMI at that height and weight is about 26 as well so you won't be tested for body fat unless it's over 30.

Cheers! I was worried I'd have to do something drastic

Advertisement