Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My memory of Rage is fuzzy but do recall having some issues with how it ended.

The only thing I remember from it was that rag doll animation were best ever. It felt very satisfying to shoot stuff.
    Other then that, I did not liked while driving part. They tried to make Mad Max, but did not work.

Might pick up Rage 2, when its 10eu on sale.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Don't see the issue, they use emulation for the PS2 titles so doing so for older titles makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What the **** do Eurogamer think a "remaster" involves? It would be impossible without emulating the original hardware in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its parapa the rappa......Who cares!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

What the **** do Eurogamer think a "remaster" involves? It would be impossible without emulating the original hardware in some form.

A remaster would at bare minimum be a port.

This is a game running under backward compatibility with some improvements, akin to Xbox and Xbox 360 games running on Xbox One X with 4K output. Not really a remaster.

wes wrote:
    A remaster would at bare minimum be a port.

wes wrote:
    This is a game running under backward compatibility with some improvements, akin to Xbox and Xbox 360 games running on Xbox One X with 4K output. Not really a remaster.

It is a remaster though, the assets are of a much higher quality than the PSP version. I'd imagine that many remasters are similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Digital foundry are most interested in there being effectively an unannounced first-party PSP emulator built for the PS4 which is a curious technical detail more than anything. Opens up various official and unofficial possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It is a remaster though, the assets are of a much higher quality than the PSP version. I'd imagine that many remasters are similar.

According to hackers, it's a PSP emulator with high-res textures being injected separately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Considering the psp port is a bit of a travesty I'd expect a much better effort than this. A source port would be much more preferable.

• Advertisement

Don't see the issue, they use emulation for the PS2 titles so doing so for older titles makes sense.

Its an emulated PSP game. But it's been sold as a remaster.
    Fairly straight forward why it's cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Its an emulated PSP game. But it's been sold as a remaster. Fairly straight forward why it's cheeky.

Didn't Nintendo do the same thing with an old Mario game for the Wii or WiiU?

ERG89 wrote: »

Aren't all the Virtual Console games running in emulators?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    M!Ck^ wrote:
    Its an emulated PSP game. But it's been sold as a remaster. Fairly straight forward why it's cheeky.

Yeah the Mario anniversary and there was uproar as it was so poorly done. The European version in particular only ran in PAL 50hz. They did a much better job with the superb Kirkby anniversary... then didn't release that in Europe.

In both cases they weren't marketed as remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Now that PlayStation has been caught with their hand in the cookie jar it might be a good time to start a backward compatibility program. The "Oh, we can't get it to work" excuse is no longer going to hold up.

4ThePlayers and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Now that PlayStation has been caught with their hand in the cookie jar it might be a good time to start a backward compatibility program. The "Oh, we can't get it to work" excuse is no longer going to hold up.

4ThePlayers and all that.

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

M!Ck^ wrote:

They did remaster the important part, the basic gameplay was fine as it was and the fact that no one had issue with it or picked up that it may have been a PSP issue points to this. If the basic gameplay is fine then updating the visuals is all you need to do, if they'd sold it as a remake then I could see why people are upset but as it is there is nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Anyone back this

I did. Keep forgetting about it as its been so long, then an update appears and I'm like "Oh yeah!".....shortly followed by forgetting it again.

Its an emulated PSP game. But it's been sold as a remaster.
    Fairly straight forward why it's cheeky.
    They did remaster the important part, the basic gameplay was fine as it was and the fact that no one had issue with it or picked up that it may have been a PSP issue points to this. If the basic gameplay is fine then updating the visuals is all you need to do, if they'd sold it as a remake then I could see why people are upset but as it is there is nothing to see here.

450643.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My memory of Rage is fuzzy but do recall having some issues with how it ended.
    Dead city was epic and intense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Bethesda teasing something on their Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/994638205109522433

Could be RAGE 2, set in London? Announced on Monday?

Their Instagram has three linked posts (On mobile so can’t link here). You can see the base of the number 2 in pink, a yellow cab, Big Ben, and a goon.

Don’t get all the references, but it’s most likely Rage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Rage was alright but that ending was quite abrupt, came out of nowhere and was kinda ****e.
    Soured the game for a few people if I recall correctly.

I enjoyed it at the time but I don't think I ever finished it.

Dark Souls "Remastered" is getting hammered with bad press after the network test.

Only reason to pick this up is for the mobility of the Switch version (which has been delayed)

https://youtu.be/pQ6NBGZn7W0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think i'd trust myself playing it on the Switch. Too many times when i'd want to throw the console across the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

RAGEs gameplay and gunplay was so satisfying.
    It was like €20 a week after release too, which was good for the consumer :pac:
    I believe the ending was rushed due to I.D. staff being moved over to help sort the mess that was (at the time) Doom 4 out.
    There was DLC released for RAGE 14 months after release, probably a skeleton team left working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well this is an abomination.

I very much hope everyone else involved in the project isn't even 5% as clueless as whoever came up with this hideous muck.

Rage was alright but that ending was quite abrupt, came out of nowhere and was kinda ****e.
    Soured the game for a few people if I recall correctly.

I enjoyed it at the time but I don't think I ever finished it.

Ahhhhh thats what it was yes!!!!! I enjoyed the game and it's world but yes that ending did apply the hand break out of nowhere.

Gbear wrote: »
    Well this is an abomination.

I very much hope everyone else involved in the project isn't even 5% as clueless as whoever came up with this hideous muck.

I don't hate it, in fact I kind of like how it's presenting a fun game. Far too many shooters take themselves far too seriously so be nice to see one which is just about fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I don't hate it, in fact I kind of like how it's presenting a fun game. Far too many shooters take themselves far too seriously so be nice to see one which is just about fun.

AKA "the Doom Model" :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement