Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Semi final Build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

munster-leinster.jpg

image%20six.jpg

munster-v-leinster.jpg

1211_aquinlan_sports

maxresdefault.jpg

OGara-Sexton-Munster-Leinster.jpg

munster-v-leinster.jpg

Play nice now everyone, it's only a game.

The look on Luke's face. A real "what he is doing" moment

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Head coach Johann van Graan is hopeful that South African duo Chris Cloete and Jaco Taute could be back in the mix this week, along with John Ryan, Niall Scannell and Brian Scott.

But Andrew Conway and Duncan Williams are still going through return to play protocols following concussions.

Didn't realise that Conway was at risk of missing this, that would be unfortunate - he's playing great stuff at the moment and I'd say he'd relish the RDS at the weekend.

Cloete back changes the nature of the fixture a bit, he's a ferocious competitor and a very decent openside. JOD has really come through this season but I don't really see him as a 7.

Taute is a handy player, though I'm not sure if you drop Arnold or Scannell at this stage, certainly have him on the bench though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Season was all about europe. Yes beating Munster will be added bonus but not overly concerned about this game tbh.

I still find this utterly bizarre.

European trophy + Pro14 trophy >> European trophy

Losing the semi-final obviously doesn't take anything away from the European win. But it means Leinster have not accomplished everything they could this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

LOL, I see the Leinster Pro 14 Calendar has been updated since I last checked, I'll leave the name associated with it out to protect the innocent
    450723.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nonsense, the double is huge. These boys are about achievements you engrave in granite at this stage. Nearly all interviewed after the match in Bilbao referred to getting back to work.

If this was in Thomond, it could be another 2011 final outcome, but being in the RDS is massive, another homecoming atmosphere and the crowd on top of the pitch. Forecast is dry and warm. I think we could field Ollie Campbell as he is now and still come out on top by a couple of scores

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I still find this utterly bizarre.

European trophy + Pro14 trophy >> European trophy

Losing the semi-final obviously doesn't take anything away from the European win. But it means Leinster have not accomplished everything they could this season.

It's a bonus, it be nice. Season is defined by how they do in europe and well they the best.

Hurrache wrote: »
    LOL, I see the Leinster Pro 14 Calendar has been updated since I last checked, I'll leave the name associated with it out to protect the innocent
    450723.JPG

Ha !

I have that on mine and didn't even notice.

Now that is build up thread material.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://munsterrugby.ie/2018/05/14/squad-update-166/

Archer out. Williams and Conway following RTTPs. Cloete could be back available.

It's a bonus, it be nice. Season is defined by how they do in europe and well they the best.

I disagree. A double would establish them for definite as the greatest of the Leinster European winning teams and would be remembered as such.

It also, frankly, comes across as getting excuses in early.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It also, frankly, comes across as getting excuses in early.

Meh don't really care.. the previous 3 european cups weren't diminished by not winning the league and this one certainly isn't either.

Meh don't really care.. the previous 3 european cups weren't diminished by not winning the league and this one certainly isn't either.

You have a weird fascination with the idea that one competition has to somehow impact the other.

Not winning the league doesn't diminish the European cup. Winning the double enhances the season. Not winning the double means they have not achieved all they could. You're way off if you think a double winning season would not be remembered more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If this was in Thomond, it could be another 2011 final outcome, but being in the RDS is massive, another homecoming atmosphere and the crowd on top of the pitch.

At least there'll be a few more at it than the paltry turnout for the homecoming in Donnybrook yesterday.

(We're all allowed one in this thread, aren't we? ;))

If someone doesn't care, why don't you leave the thread for the people that do care? This is beyond tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I can't understand how anyone could say the Pro14 isn't a measurement or goal for Leinster this season.

If that was the case we certainly wouldn't have been top of the conference.

Professional athletes aren't going to just say "ah f*ck it we've done enough" and discard a legitimate chance at winning their domestic league because they've already won a title this season.

If someone doesn't care, why don't you leave the thread for the people that do care? This is beyond tiresome.

Yup, it's no fun at all throwing the towel in this early. These sorts of posts should be kicked out of the thread...

rRoOR6.gif

Yup, it's no fun at all throwing the towel in this early. These sorts of posts should be kicked out of the thread...

rRoOR6.gif

You damn right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I can't understand how anyone could say the Pro14 isn't a measurement or goal for Leinster this season.

If that was the case we certainly wouldn't have been top of the conference

Leinster didn't finish top, they finished second behind Scarlets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

davo2001 wrote: »

Nope, they finished top. Either that or Betfair paid out to me incorrectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not sure what alternative universe you came from, but no they didn’t. Which is why they have a home semi and the Scarlets had to qualify for the semi against Glasgow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

aloooof wrote: »
    At least there'll be a few more at it than the paltry turnout for the homecoming in Donnybrook yesterday.

(We're all allowed one in this thread, aren't we? ;))

Its fair comment. Same happened in 2011, so many still making their way back from Cardiff that the RDS homecoming that time was sparse. Likewise Bilbao now.

Still a sense of unfinished business too methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭durthacht

Professional athletes aren't going to just say "ah f*ck it we've done enough" and discard a legitimate chance at winning their domestic league because they've already won a title this season.

In fairness, the 2011 team kinda did. After their mammoth effort against Northampton they barely showed up for the League final in Thomond.

But I really doubt they would do that again, and I'd be disappointed if they did. As someone said to do the double would eclipse the previous teams so surely that is worth achieving. So I don't understand the apathy to the League and the talk about rotating players and playing a bunch of the second string guys who were comprehensively beaten this month by Treviso and Connacht. This a semi final and it's absolutely vital.

Having said that, if Leinster have to take the field without Henshaw, and potentially Sexton and/or Nacewa then they would be massively weakened; especially with Byrne, Carbery and Reid all struggling for form. In that case, even in the RDS, Munster must be favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

aloooof wrote: »
    Nope, they finished top. Either that or Betfair paid out to me incorrectly!

Haha, you're actually totally correct, I was check in the "Rugby" app in Android and it hasn't been updated since the second last round. :mad:

Haha, you're actually totally correct, I was check in the "Rugby" app in Android and it hasn't been updated since the second last round. :mad:

Leinster have been top since the 6N period.

They finished on the same number of points as Scarlets though so it is possible the app is not calculating the tie-breakers correctly.

I'd like to see:
    Kilcoyne, Marshall, Ryan, Kleyn, Grobler, POM, Cloete, Stander,
    Murray, JJH, Keet, Scannell, Arnold, Sweetnam, Zebo

Scannell, Cronin, Parker, Holland, JOD, Hart, Keatley, Taute

Assuming D Williams and Conway are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I'm growing more and more confident. Leinster down a few players and Munster arrive in the long grass after a week off.

As long as ye get Nigel, you'll be home and dry. Nigel gets very upset when Munster lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd like to see:
    Kilcoyne, Marshall, Ryan, Kleyn, Grobler, POM, Cloete, Stander,

Not nearly enough spite and bitterness in that pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

They won't say that, but if you've been through the wringer of a game like the one on Saturday, then out on the beer afterwards, then the homecoming, then you get a few injuries - it all just adds up. These guys are not machines.

As a measurement or goal - yes, they would definitely have targeted it, but Pro14 is not the standard by which Irish provinces are judged. It just isn't. Matt O'Connor won one and he's widely regarded as the worst coach we had since Kidney.

Obviously I hope we win on Saturday, but if we don't, it's still an incredibly successful season for Leinster. If we'd lost against Racing, there would be a lot more emphasis on winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If anyone's interested in 3 tickets in the Grandstand pm me. Season ticket holders who can't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Who thought in 2008/2009 that Munsters strongest pack would contain only 3 munstermen...

Advertisement