Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster v Munster Semi final Build up thread

Options

Comments

So Munster send over 1k tickets back to Leinster......is this Irish sport's biggest bandwagon during the good days? These great supporters wouldn't drive 2 hours to support their team? You are not a real supporter if you don't follow your team through good and bad.

Probably only rivalled by the soccer/rugby teams at world cups/euro's in terms of ole ole brigade.

It's not been a great year for the club. They've lost another hugely popular player in Zebo, despite utterances on here I'd say a good few fans took issue with the Grobbler signing and another year stuck at semi-finals have left things a bit raw. Add to that the mess with changing coaches mid season and you have a bit of a perfect storm.

It would be absolutely no different at Leinster if the same events were unfolding. The only club that seems to have decent resilience to these kinds of issues is Ulster and credit to them for it.

Part of me hopes Munster wins the whole thing outright. Good for Ireland and with the signings next season and the players coming back from injury it would be a decent springboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

So Munster send over 1k tickets back to Leinster......is this Irish sport's biggest bandwagon during the good days? These great supporters wouldn't drive 2 hours to support their team? You are not a real supporter if you don't follow your team through good and bad.

Probably only rivalled by the soccer/rugby teams at world cups/euro's in terms of ole ole brigade.

Maybe staying at home to watch the royal wedding?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Who knew the IRFU not renewing the contracts of two fan favourite internationals season after season would have a detrimental impact on supporter interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't know the ins and outs of the allocation but many have made the point that supporters would have just bought the tickets on public sale. The number of Munster supporters in the ground will exceed the allocation Munster sold. Storm in a teacup that yours truly also believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

They aren't, South Africa is part of the Kolpak agreement (see the Wiki page). An Irish team could field a whole team of SA players if they wanted, never mind an SA team fielding SA players.

Cough, Ulster, Cough

Fast forward five years

Cough, Munster, Cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Downlinz wrote: »
    Who knew the IRFU not renewing the contracts of two fan favourite internationals season after season would have a detrimental impact on supporter interest?

Eh those two players chose to leave Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I don't know the ins and outs of the allocation but many have made the point that supporters would have just bought the tickets on public sale. The number of Munster supporters in the ground will exceed the allocation Munster sold. Storm in a teacup that yours truly also believed.

How many tickets went on general sale? Probably wasn't a whole lot.
    Munster got 5000.
    Capacity is 19000.
    Leinster would have 11000-12000 STH plus other obligations (sponsors etc) so that leaves 2-3000 for general sale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ryan and Zebo? Both had contract offers from Munster/IRFU. Both chose to take up alternative contracts elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

For the love of god will this absurd persecution complex over the players leaving ever go away?

It's FAKE NEWS.

They wanted to leave, hard as that may be too accept for supporters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just managed 2 get 2 tickets for 60 so they're still popping up. There were some for 65 too available. Better seats, but that's my lunch money!

It buys a tremendous amount of goodwill with the OH too (she's the proper Rugby fan) and I'll be able to watch the FA cup final somewhere after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do they support the team, or the individual players within that team? I'm not doubting the popularity of the players leaving/left, but you still support the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I’m sure loads of Munster fans bought tickets thru Leinster or public sale as the majority of Munster fans will actually be based closer to Dublin. Same idea with the aviva game but they’re always well represented.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

For the love of god will this absurd persecution complex over the players leaving ever go away?

It's FAKE NEWS.

They wanted to leave, hard as that may be too accept for supporters.

Don't be coming in here with all your common sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Even if it was the case that they were returning 1k of tickets, and there were none on public sale, this kind of reaction seems completely hyperbolic to me.

Poor attendance at one game no more makes them "Irish sport's biggest bandwagon during the good days" than great attendance at one game makes them "the best fans in the world".

It takes a sustained period of attendance (or lack of) to draw any conclusions. And as others have said, we're always well represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I thought that the said "fans" preferred imported players. They're always whinging about not being allowed to sign enough foreigners!

Although with Klootie and Tautie and Grobbie and Rhyssie and Klynie and Huntie etc. etc. - plus Tadhgie on the way, they still appear to have loads of fan favourites to keep them happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Squatter wrote: »
    Although with Klootie and Tautie and Grobbie and Rhyssie and Klynie and Huntie etc. etc. - plus Tadhgie on the way, they still appear to have loads of fan favourites to keep them happy!

Please don't say those names again. Ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm still trying to figure out who "Huntie" is?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aloooof wrote: »

I'll go out on a limb and say it's Bleyendaal who was embroiled in controversy a few years ago for going on a big game hunt with in SA with other players and having photographs of him and the animals they'd killed posted online.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tadghgie!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I thought that the said "fans" preferred imported players. They're always whinging about not being allowed to sign enough foreigners!

*Cringe*

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »

My bad! :P Absent-mindedness strikes again!

I confused Grenoble's Nigel Hunt with Clontarf and Grenoble legend James Hart.

So Huntie should of course have read Hartie (which should never be confused with Hearty!)

I actually forgot all about Tylie - or Kylie as they probably call him - as he doesn't appear to play much rugby nowadays.

But they started it, sir - haven't you ever heard of Paulie or Quinnie or Leamy?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leamy?
    I believe it's Leamy-y

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmokeeffe

Does anyone know if the north and south stands are unreserved?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does anyone know if the north and south stands are unreserved?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes

As in yes they are unreserved. Not yes somebody knows. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sold out now apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hi, I have a ticket going for Saturday, stupid godsons communion and after trying to sneak away I am been told I will be killed if I do....

In Angelsea terrace....selling at face value.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hi, I have a ticket going for Saturday, stupid godsons communion and after trying to sneak away I am been told I will be killed if I do....

In Angelsea terrace....selling at face value.....

Pffft fair weather fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hi, I have a ticket going for Saturday, stupid godsons communion

Tough break. Stupid godsons need the most attention.

Advertisement