Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Exile59 wrote: »
    Re the above...

This is what I wouldn't like to see happen...lots of apartments built and Dunshaughlin losing it's sense of community and becoming like Ashbourne; a town full of commuters who travel in and out to Dublin every day. The whole dynamic of the town would change in a few short years.

I think that is bound to happen.
    Back in the early 1990s we thought Dunshaughlin would be massive by now, but instead Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Navan and Ratoath got all the attention and developments.

I get the feeling that Dunshauglin's very slow pace of development over the past 30 years is now over and that the town will expand massively over the next 10 years. There are some benefits to this such as more and better services. Dunshaughlin is very unlikely to stay a small community forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auralabuse

Rumour has it LA Bucca are opening up in the Lidl development and 20/20 are going above peters pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

auralabuse wrote: »
    Rumour has it LA Bucca are opening up in the Lidl development and 20/20 are going above peters pub?

50/50? I think that is just a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

50/50? I think that is just a rumour

And La Bucca? Rumour too?

Galego wrote: »
    And La Bucca? Rumour too?

not sure about La Bucca. 50/50 say they are not moving in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭maik3n

Not La Buca or 50/50 but still another welcome business perhaps :p

https://www.facebook.com/Cafe-Bella-Dunshaughlin-194233957861837
    I think they are setting up behind Jennys boutique.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Noticed diggers gone into the field between the GAA club and the ring road. I believe Castlethorn were granted permission to build houses there about a decade ago. Any ideas if construction might kick off there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA171431/0
    Just saw this on eplanning regarding what looks like this site

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like Virgin Media are going to expand into Dunshaughlin offering their tv, fibre broadband and phone services to the town. They currently looking to recruit a liason officer to deal with the expansion in the area. https://www.fmi.ie/job/virgin-media-community-liaison-officer-required-portarlington-dunshaughlin/

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like Virgin Media are going to expand into Dunshaughlin offering their tv, fibre broadband and phone services to the town. They currently looking to recruit a liason officer to deal with the expansion in the area. https://www.fmi.ie/job/virgin-media-community-liaison-officer-required-portarlington-dunshaughlin/

They finished putting fibre cables in just around the time of the snow so the KN network guys said they generally roll it out quite quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Just checked the FB page of Cafe Bella and, yup, they're opening behind Jenny's in late May/early June. That'll be a great addition for a Saturday morning coffee this summer. Well needed!

Lidl is flying up now. I think it's great that they have two separate units at the front for: La Bucca, 50/50, Cinnamon Garden, Eddie Rockets, L'Ecrivan.... ;) And the main building is tucked in behind the existing and new buildings. There's plenty of small towns I've seen where there's an Aldi or a Lidl landed in the main street of the town centre and it does take away from the aesthetics. Plenty of green in the Lidl plans as well on MCC website.

We have had Sky Broadband for the past two years in the town centre and the connection is abysmal at times. Constantly dropping which is surprising for Meath. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with Virgin Media?

We have had Sky Broadband for the past two years in the town centre and the connection is abysmal at times. Constantly dropping which is surprising for Meath. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with Virgin Media?

Unfortunately where I live is too far outside the urban part of Dunshaughlin so I'll never be able to get Virgin Media. Virgin Media may possibly only be available in the housing estates in Dunshaughlin.

The line checker shows an alert as coming soon to your area when i check address's in the housing estates, however the main street is not and neither is any of the outlying more rural parts of the town. I live 2km from Dunshaughlin so Virgin will never be available to me, but luckily I do have Eir's FTTH.

I haven't any experience in dealing directly with Virgin but know several people who do and their experience has mostly been very positive. Their broadband network is generally really good. You pay for 240 or 360 meg and that is exactly what you end up getting in speedtests. Their TV service is not quite as good as Sky, the box is certainly poorer but nowhere nearly as bad as the box and user interface you get with Eir's TV Service. Virgin's main strength is definitely their fiber broadband service.

Unfortunately where I live is too far outside the urban part of Dunshaughlin so I'll never be able to get Virgin Media. Virgin Media may possibly only be available in the housing estates in Dunshaughlin.

The line checker shows an alert as coming soon to your area when i check address's in the housing estates, however the main street is not and neither is any of the outlying more rural parts of the town. I live 2km from Dunshaughlin so Virgin will never be available to me, but luckily I do have Eir's FTTH.

I haven't any experience in dealing directly with Virgin but know several people who do and their experience has mostly been very positive. Their broadband network is generally really good. You pay for 240 or 360 meg and that is exactly what you end up getting in speedtests. Their TV service is not quite as good as Sky, the box is certainly poorer but nowhere nearly as bad as the box and user interface you get with Eir's TV Service. Virgin's main strength is definitely their fiber broadband service.

Yea I think whatever about the broadband, it's the TV that is far superior with Sky and that's probably why we'll stick with them. No harm in calling them soon and feigning a switch to Virgin, they usually throw in something free or drop the bill for a while...!

Was chatting to the owner of La Bucca over the weekend. Said "Is there any truth to the rumour you're-" He stopped me, shook his head and said "that i'm opening a La Bucca in Dunshaughlin"..."No, definitely not." He made a valid point, there's La Buccai (if that's the plural for La Bucca ;) ) in Ratoath, Ashbourne and Dunboyne. Wouldn't make sense to open another in Dunshaughlin.

Oh well....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Makes sense! :) How's Massimos? I had it once in Ashbourne last year and loved it.

Lidl going up very quick now.

Another surge of people at the showhouses @ Willows yesterday. Also noticed up beside the GAA pitch near the roundabout they're building more houses too.

The village is getting more and more developed very quickly. Can even see on the Grapevine page on Facebook new residents looking for information too.

Anyone know if massimos are gonna offer the same menu as ashbourne and ratoath at any stage???

I know a couple who ate in Massimo's last week for lunch and they were both well impressed with it. They said the owner was very nice and couldn't do enough for them. As for the menu, not sure, but I'd say it's probably very similar to Ashbourne alright.

Supervalu have stepped up their game now...they've Frank & Honest Coffee, which in my clueless opinion is definitely one of the better take away coffee's.

Lidl is flying up as well, as are the units at the front. Any word on who is moving in there?

I've eaten in massimos and found it good,however the menu isn't the same. There is no pizzas and a few other things left out..

Bussywussy wrote: »
    I've eaten in massimos and found it good,however the menu isn't the same. There is no pizzas and a few other things left out..

that's a real shame, I was going to go there for the pizza. Surely pizza is one of their main selling points.

that's a real shame, I was going to go there for the pizza. Surely pizza is one of their main selling points.

My take and I hope I'm right is that they're just gauging reaction first before launching full menu,I over heard 2 other tables asking why was menu different....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Don't think it's been mention on here yet but planning has gone back in again for the hotel in Killeen Castle. It has the potential to be one of the best Hotels on the east side of the country and will further enhance the profile of the village and surrounding area's. The castle is one of the prettiest in the country. Make for some good wedding pictures!

4rvmoyix3

My take and I hope I'm right is that they're just gauging reaction first before launching full menu,I over heard 2 other tables asking why was menu different....

perhaps they are waiting on their pizza oven?

I noticed that the window panes each have a style of food written on them, one of the panes says pizza in big text. Very strange for a restaurant that doesn't serve pizza!

I was going to try Massimo's but will probably hold off until I hear they serve pizza as that is the main dish I order at Italian restaurants.

The Snug Cafe is under new management now. It would be good to see it get a bit of a facelift and a new menu. Bit dated really in fairness. The other cafe is meant to be opening over the next week or so as well.

Someone has applied for pp to turn a unit in Ivy Hall into a Childcare facility, which is handy for those looking. And I heard more rumblings re the Aldi application over the weekend.

There's a huge site after going up for sale just outside Dunshaughlin on the Ratoath road. I'm sure there'll be a fair few new houses going there.

We walked through the village centre yesterday afternoon and it's really starting to get busy which is great!

And I heard more rumblings re the Aldi application over the weekend.
    !

what's the latest?

what's the latest?

Ah just whispers re a hardware business in its entirety being sold to a large German retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭maik3n

Ah just whispers re a hardware business in its entirety being sold to a large German retailer.
    If we're talking about Maddens winding up, I heard those same rumours when the 2nd aldi application was originally sent in :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

I've just joined Boards and agree that some Dunshaughlin users would prefer anominity and Boards gives us this, thank you Exile59

Diddleydoo wrote: »
    I've just joined Boards and agree that some Dunshaughlin users would prefer anominity and Boards gives us this, thank you Exile59

Ah yea, there's a lot going on in the village and I feel while it's rapidly expanding at a pace which i'd be fairly certain is unmatched anywhere else in the country, it's still a very small place. So a bit of anonymity is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

My OH was in Massimos yesterday for the 1st time and well impressed with the food and service.

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    My OH was in Massimos yesterday for the 1st time and well impressed with the food and service.

I've heard good things as well. We're heading next week so looking forward to checking it out. They could really do with investing in some colour for the outside though. A few hanging baskets and an aul window box wouldn't go astray...

Supervalu have their new salad counter and dinner counter open now. I won't lie...'tis also a good addition to the town. Salad counter especially looks decent, and the dinner, well, maybe on a very lazy day...

Advertisement