Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

My bad. It’s the Waterford hurling tie that isn’t the home fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Of course the pitch could stand up to hurling!

Used to have reverse situation here where club hurling games and county hurling training would be moved from Parnell Park or postponed in order not to discommode the aristocracy :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Of course the pitch could stand up to hurling!

Used to have reverse situation here where club hurling games and county hurling training would be moved from Parnell Park or postponed in order not to discommode the aristocracy :-)

There’s no doubt football has got the bums rush here in Tipperary on many occasions in the past - and will do so again in the future - but what Kearns is giving out about now has nothing to do with the hurlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

C__MC wrote: »
    I see tipp aren’t happy with having to post two games in 7 days in Munster football championship

Would love to see this game a draw to show up the Munster council. It disrespectful to both teams fixing a the game a week before semi final. We also already seen the shambles of this year league schedule especially with the football trying to cram 7 games into 9 weeks in the worse time of year weather wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing...

Yeah it's hard to know

In fairness Jim Gavin has always been quick to promote the younger players but it's hard to directly compare Dublin and Mayo - Dublin can more than afford to bring a few new players into an established winning team. They're set to dominate the next while anyway, whereas you get the sense it's a bit all or nothing over the next year or two for Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

There’s no doubt football has got the bums rush here in Tipperary on many occasions in the past - and will do so again in the future - but what Kearns is giving out about now has nothing to do with the hurlers.

When Tipp football is being discussed it always will have something to do with the hurlers, or at least someone in Tipp football will find away of making a link to the hurlers, was actually talking to a prominent Tipp football official at the weekend and his first and main line was ''it would never happen to the hurlers'' :rolleyes:

danganabu wrote: »
    When Tipp football is being discussed it always will have something to do with the hurlers, or at least someone in Tipp football will find away of making a link to the hurlers, was actually talking to a prominent Tipp football official at the weekend and his first and main line was ''it would never happen to the hurlers'' :rolleyes:

That's very true dangan and, at least indirectly, it always has. And in many instances they are very justified with their complaints, but I think in the list of grievances Tipp football harbours, the prospect of having to play twice in 7 days shouldn't rank high up there. Shouldnt really have happened, but it seems there were alternative solutions available which, for whatever reason, weren't taken up. So i'm not sure where Kearn's ire should be targeted. The hurlers, as it happens, are out 4 weekends in a row so its not something I'd get too worked up about.

That's very true dangan and, at least indirectly, it always has. And in many instances they are very justified with their complaints, but I think in the list of grievances Tipp football harbours, the prospect of having to play twice in 7 days shouldn't rank high up there. Shouldnt really have happened, but it seems there were alternative solutions available which, for whatever reason, weren't taken up. So i'm not sure where Kearn's ire should be targeted. The hurlers, as it happens, are out 4 weekends in a row so its not something I'd get too worked up about.

Exactly, if what the Munster Council are saying is true, and the fact that no one haws refuted it would suggest it is, then Kearns grievance should be with the two respective county boards and not the fixture makers. But I guess you cant criticise your bosses in public, at least not directly!

danganabu wrote: »
    Exactly, if what the Munster Council are saying is true, and the fact that no one haws refuted it would suggest it is, then Kearns grievance should be with the two respective county boards and not the fixture makers. But I guess you cant criticise your bosses in public, at least not directly!

Yeah, he'd need to explain why the alternative proposed dates werent acceptable before asking us for our sympathy. This fixture anomaly was known months ago and still they couldn't come up with a satisfactory compromise. I assume the original scheduling was an oversight by the relevant parties rather than another fiendish plot to discommode Tipp football.

Liam Kearns is an honorary Tipp legend as far as I'm concerned, but I think he's a little bit guilty of crying wolf on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Reports that Brendan Murphy won't be around for Carlow for the summer because he's going to the States. If true it proves how meaningless the championship has become for so many counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭threeball

Reports that Brendan Murphy won't be around for Carlow for the summer because he's going to the States. If true it proves how meaningless the championship has become for so many counties.

Carlow achieved their most important goal this year in being promoted. They are realistically not going to win Leinster so I don't see anything wrong in Murphy heading off and enjoying his life. He's given them a good few summer's so far. Life is too short to dedicate it to playing foregone conclusion football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If I was a Carlow supporter I'd be very disappointed. No, they probably won't be in the shake up to win a Leinster title, but that doesn't mean nobody should care about the Championship. They have a winnable start against Louth and even if things don't go their way, they're quite capable of taking a couple of scalps. Momentum is a huge thing for a smaller county and they could really build on the promotion with a solid Championship to give them a boost going into Division 3.

Fair play to Murphy, he has been immense for Carlow for years and I don't begrudge him a summer in the US, but I'm sure Turlough O'Brien would be thinking that the timing could have been better.

If I was a Carlow supporter I'd be very disappointed. No, they probably won't be in the shake up to win a Leinster title, but that doesn't mean nobody should care about the Championship. They have a winnable start against Louth and even if things don't go their way, they're quite capable of taking a couple of scalps. Momentum is a huge thing for a smaller county and they could really build on the promotion with a solid Championship to give them a boost going into Division 3.

Fair play to Murphy, he has been immense for Carlow for years and I don't begrudge him a summer in the US, but I'm sure Turlough O'Brien would be thinking that the timing could have been better.

Its another unwanted knock on effect of the new championship structure and the suspension of club activity, players can now travel for the summer months, being well looked after, and not miss any club games. Intercounty managers are going to find it very hard in a year or two to fill positions 16-35 on their panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

:

Looks likes its true

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/284230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Leitrim and Sligo both picked their teams for this weekend's matches against New York and London respectively.

Leitrim give four players their championship debuts including Domhnaill Flynn who has never played even league or FBD for the county. He has impressed in training and recent challenge games. Mark Plunkett, Diarmuid McKiernan and Jack Heslin are the others making their championship bows.
    Leitrim (v New York): Diarmuid McKiernan, Paddy Maguire, Micheal McWeeney, OisMadden, James Rooney, Donal Wrynn, Shane Quinn, Mark Plunkett, Domhnaill Flynn, Jack Heslin, Emlyn Mulligan, Ryan O’Rourke, Darragh Rooney, Keith Beirne, Brendan Gallagher

Luke Nicholson and Liam Gaughan will make their first Championship appearances for Sligo in Sunday’s Connacht quarter-final against London in Ruislip.
    Sligo (v London): Aidan Devaney, Ross Donavan, Luke Nicholson, Charlie Harrison, Gerard O’Kelly Lynch, Adrian McIntyre, Neil Ewing, Niall Murphy, Kevin McDonnell, Cathal Henry, Cian Breheny, Pat Hughes, Liam Gaughan, Adrian Marren, Kyle Cawley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The Sunday Game championship preview is on tonight (both codes) at 21.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone know if either of today's games (Sligo-v-London, Leitrim-v-NY) are being broadcast anywhere? Youtube, facebook etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RTE's coverage of our GAA games this year is an absolute scandal.
    The Tyrone v Monaghan match not being covered is a disgrace. Healy Park only holds 19 thousand and will be full to the brim.
    RTE now not worth the license fee.
    BBC or Sky not showing it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Looking at the pools I'm surprised at the amount of people going for Mayo in connacht when they've been late starters over the last few years, Galway going for three in a row and seem to have improved, Mayo with doubts over two key men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

The Tyrone v Monaghan match not being covered is a disgrace. Healy Park only holds 19 thousand and will be full to the brim.

Have you seen sky’s list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stoner wrote: »
    Looking at the pools I'm surprised at the amount of people going for Mayo in connacht when they've been late starters over the last few years, Galway going for three in a row and seem to have improved, Mayo with doubts over two key men.

Because Galway played almost full strength in the league and Mayo did not.

Galway seem to have one system, defend and counter attack, did them no good a man up v Dublin in the final.

Galway are also missing a very important player that was a big part of that system, can't remember his name to be honest.

Galway won last year by a single point, at home against 14 men for most of the game.

Mayo are proven to be one of the top teams in the country consistently for the last number of years, Galway are not.

Mayo are favourites.

So why wouldn't people be picking them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have you seen sky’s list?

No. I don't have Sky but would go out to watch the match if they had it.

For RTE a Munster hurling game will always be a bigger draw than a Ulster football game.

It's a no brainier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Galway are going for 3 in a row???? 3 in a row what now..... because they're now Connacht champions as it stands.

As an aside, the GAA are missing a trick this weekend with the first game of the football championship in NY. There is a huge marketing opportunity here. Rather than rotating the NY trip between the 5 connacht counties, it should rotate among all 32 counties. It would give every counties supporters the chance to travel to NY once in a while, be a great novelty rather than the same teams coming every 5 years. Make live TV coverage compulsory as part of the TV contract, invite last year's winners to play an exhibition, and put on a bit of razzmatazz to launch the championship, rather than the current nonevent. I'm sure the blazers themselves wouldn't mind a trip either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Galway are going for 3 in a row???? 3 in a row what now..... because they're now Connacht champions as it stands.

As an aside, the GAA are missing a trick this weekend with the first game of the football championship in NY. There is a huge marketing opportunity here. Rather than rotating the NY trip between the 5 connacht counties, it should rotate among all 32 counties. It would give every counties supporters the chance to travel to NY once in a while, be a great novelty rather than the same teams coming every 5 years. Make live TV coverage compulsory as part of the TV contract, invite last year's winners to play an exhibition, and put on a bit of razzmatazz to launch the championship, rather than the current nonevent. I'm sure the blazers themselves wouldn't mind a trip either.

I'd imagine he meant 3 in a row over Mayo. Which is why this particular match is probably more important to Mayo than it is to Galway

I'd argue the complete opposite of the NY game.

Get rid of it.

It's nothing more than a exhibition game.

NY don't play in the qualifiers so why have an actual championship level game there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Usual lazy analysis going on today on RTE radio.

Seems to be a case of a division 1 team loses in their province, they can’t make it to super 8”s due to the journey.

A division 1 team will get through the qualifiers due to quality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Even though they've had a few squeaky bum moments in the past i think they've always been confident they could navigate their way to the final stages. This year thats less straight forward. Open draw qualifiers leading to the slog that will be the super 8's will be a far greater ask.

I expect they'll be ready for Galway this year and if they are they'll have too much for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sligo 1-10 to 1-3 up at half time, doesn't sound like London are up to much.

Sligo 1-10 to 1-3 up at half time, doesn't sound like London are up to much.

The result of this game was never in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

C__MC wrote: »
    Usual lazy analysis going on today on RTE radio.

What was said?

FT: Sligo 1-21 London 1-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I reckon it's a good while since New York were 11/8 to win a Championship match, and this could be their day with a few new additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's not the first time they've been in this situation but with a few quality former inter-county players, coupled with a woeful league campaign from Leitrim, New York genuinely do seem to have a decent chance.

What exactly would happen Leitrim as New York are rather unfairly never allowed into the qualifiers, would the same fate befall Leitrim?

So why wouldn't people be picking them ?

Because of the reasons I gave in my post

Mayo didn't win last two provincial championships with all the same credentials as now.

They've started the last two championships very slowly, is this not Galway's first year back in Division 1? so the league result didn't feature in 2016 or 2017

Lee Keegan, not looking good for him till later on.
    Yet to see any free taker this year to come anywhere near COC, his situation is not solid and he's Mayo's MVP.

Mayo being the best team in their provincie have not won their last two provincial championships.

Galway look relatively stronger than last year, Mayo a little weaker.

Also Mayo don't seem that bothered with the competition either.

I'd imagine he meant 3 in a row over Mayo.

Correct

thelad95 wrote: »
    What exactly would happen Leitrim as New York are rather unfairly never allowed into the qualifiers, would the same fate befall Leitrim?

I never noticed that they weren't in the qualifiers! Very unfair. I expect Leitrim would be have to be given another shot, but my assumption that teams were treated reasonably is shot.

• Advertisement

I guess they mightnt be well able to fulfill an away match.

So the American national anthem is being sang in NYC, was "God Save the Queen" sang in Ruislip earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So the American national anthem is being sang in NYC, was "God Save the Queen" sang in Ruislip earlier?

Is this on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

New York goal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

KevIRL wrote: »
    New York goal

They have started very well. Clarke seems to be key to everything they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1-2 to 0-1

On RTE radio 1 btw

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is this on tv?

Ocean FM have radio commentary. NY are flying so far.

Advertisement