Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

RTE's coverage of our GAA games this year is an absolute scandal.
    The Tyrone v Monaghan match not being covered is a disgrace. Healy Park only holds 19 thousand and will be full to the brim.
    RTE now not worth the license fee.
    BBC or Sky not showing it either.

Have you seen sky’s list?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stoner wrote: »
    Looking at the pools I'm surprised at the amount of people going for Mayo in connacht when they've been late starters over the last few years, Galway going for three in a row and seem to have improved, Mayo with doubts over two key men.

Because Galway played almost full strength in the league and Mayo did not.

Galway seem to have one system, defend and counter attack, did them no good a man up v Dublin in the final.

Galway are also missing a very important player that was a big part of that system, can't remember his name to be honest.

Galway won last year by a single point, at home against 14 men for most of the game.

Mayo are proven to be one of the top teams in the country consistently for the last number of years, Galway are not.

Mayo are favourites.

So why wouldn't people be picking them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,454 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have you seen sky’s list?

No. I don't have Sky but would go out to watch the match if they had it.

RTE's coverage of our GAA games this year is an absolute scandal.
    The Tyrone v Monaghan match not being covered is a disgrace. Healy Park only holds 19 thousand and will be full to the brim.
    RTE now not worth the license fee.
    BBC or Sky not showing it either.

For RTE a Munster hurling game will always be a bigger draw than a Ulster football game.

It's a no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looking at the pools I'm surprised at the amount of people going for Mayo in connacht when they've been late starters over the last few years, Galway going for three in a row and seem to have improved, Mayo with doubts over two key men.

Galway are going for 3 in a row???? 3 in a row what now..... because they're now Connacht champions as it stands.

As an aside, the GAA are missing a trick this weekend with the first game of the football championship in NY. There is a huge marketing opportunity here. Rather than rotating the NY trip between the 5 connacht counties, it should rotate among all 32 counties. It would give every counties supporters the chance to travel to NY once in a while, be a great novelty rather than the same teams coming every 5 years. Make live TV coverage compulsory as part of the TV contract, invite last year's winners to play an exhibition, and put on a bit of razzmatazz to launch the championship, rather than the current nonevent. I'm sure the blazers themselves wouldn't mind a trip either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Galway are going for 3 in a row???? 3 in a row what now..... because they're now Connacht champions as it stands.

As an aside, the GAA are missing a trick this weekend with the first game of the football championship in NY. There is a huge marketing opportunity here. Rather than rotating the NY trip between the 5 connacht counties, it should rotate among all 32 counties. It would give every counties supporters the chance to travel to NY once in a while, be a great novelty rather than the same teams coming every 5 years. Make live TV coverage compulsory as part of the TV contract, invite last year's winners to play an exhibition, and put on a bit of razzmatazz to launch the championship, rather than the current nonevent. I'm sure the blazers themselves wouldn't mind a trip either.

I'd imagine he meant 3 in a row over Mayo. Which is why this particular match is probably more important to Mayo than it is to Galway

I'd argue the complete opposite of the NY game.

Get rid of it.

It's nothing more than a exhibition game.

NY don't play in the qualifiers so why have an actual championship level game there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Usual lazy analysis going on today on RTE radio.

Seems to be a case of a division 1 team loses in their province, they can’t make it to super 8”s due to the journey.

A division 1 team will get through the qualifiers due to quality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Even though they've had a few squeaky bum moments in the past i think they've always been confident they could navigate their way to the final stages. This year thats less straight forward. Open draw qualifiers leading to the slog that will be the super 8's will be a far greater ask.

I expect they'll be ready for Galway this year and if they are they'll have too much for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sligo 1-10 to 1-3 up at half time, doesn't sound like London are up to much.

Sligo 1-10 to 1-3 up at half time, doesn't sound like London are up to much.

The result of this game was never in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

C__MC wrote: »
    Usual lazy analysis going on today on RTE radio.

What was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

FT: Sligo 1-21 London 1-11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I reckon it's a good while since New York were 11/8 to win a Championship match, and this could be their day with a few new additions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's not the first time they've been in this situation but with a few quality former inter-county players, coupled with a woeful league campaign from Leitrim, New York genuinely do seem to have a decent chance.

What exactly would happen Leitrim as New York are rather unfairly never allowed into the qualifiers, would the same fate befall Leitrim?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So why wouldn't people be picking them ?

Because of the reasons I gave in my post

Mayo didn't win last two provincial championships with all the same credentials as now.

They've started the last two championships very slowly, is this not Galway's first year back in Division 1? so the league result didn't feature in 2016 or 2017

Lee Keegan, not looking good for him till later on.
    Yet to see any free taker this year to come anywhere near COC, his situation is not solid and he's Mayo's MVP.

Mayo being the best team in their provincie have not won their last two provincial championships.

Galway look relatively stronger than last year, Mayo a little weaker.

Also Mayo don't seem that bothered with the competition either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd imagine he meant 3 in a row over Mayo.

Correct

thelad95 wrote: »
    What exactly would happen Leitrim as New York are rather unfairly never allowed into the qualifiers, would the same fate befall Leitrim?

I never noticed that they weren't in the qualifiers! Very unfair. I expect Leitrim would be have to be given another shot, but my assumption that teams were treated reasonably is shot.

• Advertisement

I guess they mightnt be well able to fulfill an away match.

So the American national anthem is being sang in NYC, was "God Save the Queen" sang in Ruislip earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So the American national anthem is being sang in NYC, was "God Save the Queen" sang in Ruislip earlier?

Is this on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

New York goal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

KevIRL wrote: »
    New York goal

They have started very well. Clarke seems to be key to everything they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1-2 to 0-1

On RTE radio 1 btw

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is this on tv?

Ocean FM have radio commentary. NY are flying so far.

Advertisement