Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Probably at the Aviva watching Leinster. You can't be in 2 places at once.

That weak excuse doesn't wash when you have a population million and a half all with easy access to Croker, perhaps the GAA have made it so easy for Dublin that people are of bored of it by now, because I guarantee Kerry would draw an awful lot more than 3k for a national final in Killarney

Outside of Mayo, no other fanbase can be take the moral highground regarding attendances, least of all those inside the M50 cocoon who have virtually no time, travel or economic constraints compared to those on the Western Seaboard

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why don't we have a "Bash Dublin" sticky ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dublin fans are the ones who had games delayed because they didn't bother showing up on time. I think these criticisms are quite valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

At least in those days they actually showed up to games, now the whole thing is so lopsided in their favour there is no late stampede into games as the crowds are so small and to be fair to them who can blame them

I don't watch any sport where I know 100% what the outcome will be on TV let alone fork out hard earned money to watch a non-event so the plummeting of crowds is understandable just please don't berate others for not travelling especially when it comes at considerably more time and expense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

For the likes of Mayo and Kerry a game in CP is hardly any "away" game, it's neutral at best and given how often they play there it's not far off a home game.

Kerry have only lost 8 championship games that were played in Kerry since 1928.

Croke Park is very much an "away" game for Kerry.

Quiz Question - One of the 2 teams that beat them was Cork, but who was the other?
    Dublin in the 1934 All-Ireland semi-final

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Jesus that touched a nerve.

He made a fair point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BPKS wrote:
    Have you ever driven from Dublin to Clifden and back in the same day? Or Dublin to Caherciveen and back in the same day? Kerry typically bring around 7,000 to Croke Park for quarter finals. Around 20,000 for semi finals. And they are all football fans, not event junkies.

Buckets of them live in Dublin already though, same for Mayo fans, there's a massive amount of mayo people in Dublin, mind you plenty travel back to castlebar for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

Stoner wrote: »
    Buckets of them live in Dublin already though, same for Mayo fans, there's a massive amount of mayo people in Dublin, mind you plenty travel back to castlebar for games.

Ah yeah the Mayo support is very good considering the population of the county etc but half of that support has only come this decade. No different than Dublin under Caffrey, being on the cusp of something huge and not knowing how any game will go, brings people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Barlett wrote: »
    Ah yeah the Mayo support is very good considering the population of the county etc but half of that support has only come this decade. No different than Dublin under Caffrey, being on the cusp of something huge and not knowing how any game will go, brings people out.

Decent point. I was at the 97 semi between Cavan and Kerry and it was crazy. Had to be 50,000 Cavan fans at that match and the noise on the hill when Cavan took the field and scored the goal was like nothing I ever witnessed, seemed like everyone on the Hill had an air-horn that day.

Tickets for Dublin games circa 2006-09 were like gold-dust. 2006 semi between Dublin and Mayo our taxi driver was offering us money for our tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Decent point. I was at the 97 semi between Cavan and Kerry and it was crazy. Had to be 50,000 Cavan fans at that match and the noise on the hill when Cavan took the field and scored the goal was like nothing I ever witnessed, seemed like everyone on the Hill had an air-horn that day.

Tickets for Dublin games circa 2006-09 were like gold-dust. 2006 semi between Dublin and Mayo our taxi driver was offering us money for our tickets

To take the opposite view.

Everytime Kilkenny go to Croke Park - they get outshouted. The opposition fans are always louder.

But Kilkenny people on the other hand - I think its fair to say this - they are the most dedicated and focussed hurling people in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

BPKS wrote: »
    Have you ever driven from Dublin to Clifden and back in the same day? Or Dublin to Caherciveen and back in the same day? Kerry typically bring around 7,000 to Croke Park for quarter finals. Around 20,000 for semi finals. And they are all football fans, not event junkies.

When 8,000 Dubs went to Kilkenny or Longford for a game you'd swear it was equivalent of Operation Barbarossa the way people went on about it.

Many's the time I've gone to Croke Park to watch Dublin, or other counties - I live nearby, hop on the bike - and between house and sitting in the Cusack Stand is fifteen minutes max. I could be watching the first half on the telly, and if it looks like a good game could rock on down to watch the second half. Thats not every Dubs fan's experience, but it wouldnt be far off for anyone in Glasnevin, Marino, Clontarf, Coolock, Fairview - which are a lot of the GAA heartlands.

And I'm coming out - the last game I was at was Dublin Donegal a few weeks back - and I'm back in the house before the Donegal lads are even out of the car park. So yes, you are spot on.

Against that - to go for a swim in Marble Hill or Derrynane is a four hour drive each way with no stops. So its swings and roundabouts !!

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Many's the time I've gone to Croke Park to watch Dublin, or other counties - I live nearby, hop on the bike - and between house and sitting in the Cusack Stand is fifteen minutes max. I could be watching the first half on the telly, and if it looks like a good game could rock on down to watch the second half. Thats not every Dubs fan's experience, but it wouldnt be far off for anyone in Glasnevin, Marino, Clontarf, Coolock, Fairview - which are a lot of the GAA heartlands.

And I'm coming out - the last game I was at was Dublin Donegal a few weeks back - and I'm back in the house before the Donegal lads are even out of the car park. So yes, you are spot on.

Against that - to go for a swim in Marble Hill or Derrynaneis a four hour drive each way with no stops. So its swings and roundabouts !!

Derrynane is 4 hours form everywhere it's so far down

That was brought up on another thread actually.

It's the anticipation that brings the crowd.

No coincidence that the last Dublin standalone QF was a month before their first All Ireland in 16 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

BPKS wrote: »

When 8,000 Dubs went to Kilkenny or Longford for a game you'd swear it was equivalent of Operation Barbarossa the way people went on about it.

Every two years, I drive to Castlebar and back in one day, because I wouldn't want to be stuck staying there.

The great thing for fans from Kerry and the like is that they can bring the whole family up to Dublin for the day for shopping, the cinema and other entertainment and good food, while they head to the match. Doesn't work as well going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

blanch152 wrote: »
    Every two years, I drive to Castlebar and back in one day, because I wouldn't want to be stuck staying there.

The great thing for fans from Kerry and the like is that they can bring the whole family up to Dublin for the day for shopping, the cinema and other entertainment and good food, while they head to the match. Doesn't work as well going the other way.

Great in theory, but not so great when you're playing a game every week in Croke Park three weeks in a row. I live a 30 minute walk from Croke Park, but I think the GAA's obsession of shoehorning as many games as possible into Croke Park is doing damage to the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Great in theory, but not so great when you're playing a game every week in Croke Park three weeks in a row. I live a 30 minute walk from Croke Park, but I think the GAA's obsession of shoehorning as many games as possible into Croke Park is doing damage to the All Ireland.

It is a business too. Dublin’s big games are going to be in Croke Park and that’s the end of it unfortunately.
    Personally I don’t think any provincial games should be in CP.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tombo2001 wrote:
    But Kilkenny people on the other hand - I think its fair to say this - they are the most dedicated and focussed hurling people in the country.

Wexford always had great supporters too.

So the football
    I don't think this will be a great year for Mayo.
    I disagreed with the negativity around them last year but this year's they've a lot to do.
    COC looks off the mark, Keegan might not be right, also they are back fluting around with keepers and full backs, haven't brought on enough from recent U21 win imo.

Didn't rate Tyrone last year but I think they are truly under the radar this year compared to last year when they were the media's "dark horse" I wondered at what stage people would stop mentioning them as their "one to watch" or "surprise package" they seem to have learned and imporved since a disastrous exit from the 2017 champion.

Not so sure that Galway would beat Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry in a final. I think they are lacking a bit in the middle of the field. Yes they've a few lads that look very strong and "unmarkable" but are any as rounded or unplayable as Michael Murphy was when he arrived first? I could be completely wrong but I haven't seen enough to convince me that they have it in midfield, I think they'll fall away when the big games are in the final stages, certainly an improving team with good management anything could happen.

Roscommon, again some good talent but I'd question their conditioning and ability to kick on in the last 15 minutes of a game against a big team at full speed. The last day out they genuinely had two or three fat looking lads playing.

I think that Donegal played some good football this year, I genuinely think they were unlucky to go down. It's more of a reflection of a stronger division 1 league with a number of good performances with only kildare looking at a different level. IMO more so than most countries it's down to their management, they have some very good footballers, for example I think overall they have better footballers in key positions than Galway but Galway will most likely have a better season than them.

Monaghan, I've no idea how much they've improved or if they have it in them to get a big win outside of a provincial final. A win against Kerry if they met up would be possible and huge for them imo and would bring them on, that said it wouldn't surprise me if Kerry hockied them either.

Kerry are a bit better this year than last, However I think they need to change the manager at this stage, it would only add to that bit of freshness they have about them this year, what's hanging over them is the likelihood that they'll go back to the safe bets later on.

Dublin, Brogan will be missed as he was playing a different role this year, however it's freed Kilkenny who's operating as a forward again, Howard seems to be fitting in very well, some added kick to the attack this year and MDMA, many like to question his ability, on the big occasions there are few that get the the better of him including any Kerry and Mayo midfielder. Tyrone lads are handy in that space though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

So the football
    I disagreed with the negativity around them last year but this year's they've a lot to do.
    COC looks off the mark, Keegan might not be right, also they are back fluting around with keepers and full backs, haven't brought on enough from recent U21 win imo.

Didn't rate Tyrone last year but I think they are truly under the radar this year compared to last year when they were the media's "dark horse" I wondered at what stage people would stop mentioning them as their "one to watch" or "surprise package" they seem to have learned and imporved since a disastrous exit from the 2017 champion.

Not so sure that Galway would beat Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry in a final. I think they are lacking a bit in the middle of the field. Yes they've a few lads that look very strong and "unmarkable" but are any as rounded or unplayable as Michael Murphy was when he arrived first? I could be completely wrong but I haven't seen enough to convince me that they have it in midfield, I think they'll fall away when the big games are in the final stages, certainly an improving team with good management anything could happen.

Roscommon, again some good talent but I'd question their conditioning and ability to kick on in the last 15 minutes of a game against a big team at full speed. The last day out they genuinely had two or three fat looking lads playing.

I think that Donegal played some good football this year, I genuinely think they were unlucky to go down. It's more of a reflection of a stronger division 1 league with a number of good performances with only kildare looking at a different level. IMO more so than most countries it's down to their management, they have some very good footballers, for example I think overall they have better footballers in key positions than Galway but Galway will most likely have a better season than them.

Monaghan, I've no idea how much they've improved or if they have it in them to get a big win outside of a provincial final. A win against Kerry if they met up would be possible and huge for them imo and would bring them on, that said it wouldn't surprise me if Kerry hockied them either.

Kerry are a bit better this year than last, However I think they need to change the manager at this stage, it would only add to that bit of freshness they have about them this year, what's hanging over them is the likelihood that they'll go back to the safe bets later on.

Dublin, Brogan will be missed as he was playing a different role this year, however it's freed Kilkenny who's operating as a forward again, Howard seems to be fitting in very well, some added kick to the attack this year and MDMA, many like to question his ability, on the big occasions there are few that get the the better of him including any Kerry and Mayo midfielder. Tyrone lads are handy in that space though.

E O’Donoghue,S Akram, M Hall, S Coen; F Boland, C Loftus, D O’Connor are all either starting or are subs for Mayo seniors now, thats a lot to come from one underage team and bare in mind that was a less than vintage U21 championship and that Mayo U21 team were lucky enough to win Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

blanch152 wrote: »

Very true, I like to bring the kids up and show them the junkies et al and what will hapen to them if they dont stay in school, fightens the bejaysus out of em :D

E O’Donoghue,S Akram, M Hall, S Coen; F Boland, C Loftus, D O’Connor are all either starting or are subs for Mayo seniors now, thats a lot to come from one underage team and bare in mind that was a less than vintage U21 championship and that Mayo U21 team were lucky enough to win Connacht.

So Loftus hasn't been great imo.
    D O' Connor wasn't he already on the senior team, I took him for granted sorry, Coen has been very good. Akram, Boland, Hall, O'Donoghue wouldn't start a senior game would they.

danganabu wrote:
    Very true, I like to bring the kids up and show them the junkies et al and what will hapen to them if they dont stay in school, fightens the bejaysus out of em

Yeqh I noticed that the country lads who don't go to school end up as junkies in cities, you should try to coax a few of them to go back home with you next time you are up, do your bit for the county!

Thought that was Wicklow!!

Nothing like a bit of success to bring a bit of dedication into any fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

So the football

Same has been said about Mayo since 2014. There is another kick in them i believe and are a side that make the best of luck that comes their way on route to most AI finals. They went throughout last year campaign without a recognised full back. COC will find his form for the championship and Clarke will be 1st choice keeper unless injury.

I think it was wrong that the pundits and experts judged Tyrone on one bad result and performance last year they will be out to prove a point this summer and should reach the AI semi final at least again.

Galway a young side with plenty of progress made making themselves hard to beat, they are capable of reaching their first All Ireland semi final for 17 years this summer.

Main problem for Roscommon v big teams will be their lack of structure and system to their defence and its doubtful if McStay and co can sort out that problem area before the championship.

Not convinced about Donegal, unlucky in some league games but they put plenty into the league unlike some other teams and they are very much in transition now with a manager that was there before and isn't much of upgrade on Gallagher IMO.

Monaghan for their pick and resources are really punching above their weight, an established Div one team and a side that regularly reach the last eight of the championship. They are example to a lot of counties in Div 2 and div 3 of what can be done with the right structures and manager in place. I'll tip my hat to them if they reach the last 8 again this summer.

Kerry were league champions this time last year, their loose marking defence was exploited by Mayo in the AI semi finals last summer and they showed no signs of improvement in defence during this years league where only Kildare conceded more. Unless they improve defensively i could see them making a championship exit at the super 8 stage.

Dublin getting more injuries this year than other years but even without those injured players they still have way better strength in depth than the rest. Is this the year that they finally win All Ireland final pulling up? something they haven't done since the 70s.

D O' Connor wasn't he already on the senior team, I took him for granted sorry, Coen has been very good. Akram, Boland, Hall, O'Donoghue wouldn't start a senior game would they.

Lofus ceratinly contributed in 2017, his goal v Derry, his pass to Andy Moran v Kerry.

Whether or not he becomes a relaiable forward that is a guaranteed starter like the likes of Cillian or Andy Moran has yet to be seen, I certainly hope he does.

Coen and Diarmuid are starters.

Jury is still very much out on Akram and Hall, I'd hold out more hope for EOD and Boland.

Post belongs in Mayo thread really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He saved Mayos bacon v Derry, high hopes for him that he will be the next Andy Moran (a good scoring forward from play) Boland started plenty of games last year less game time this year due to club hurling. O Donoghue i think started every NFL game this year and will likely start v Galway on May 13th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think the Provincial winners will be Kerry, Monaghan, Dublin and Mayo.

If Donegal get to the Ulster final and lose they could be vulnerable to a team coming through the qualifiers (say Galway)as they will likely to have put all their eggs into the Winning Ulster basket. Leinster runners up also likely to be beaten. I'd fancy Tipperary to get the Munster Final and win their R4 qualifier and would give Roscommon a hesitant nod of doing the same.

So I think the two groups in the Super 8s would then be Kerry, Monaghan, Galway and Tyrone. And Dublin, Mayo, Tipperary and Roscommon.

Group 1 would be wide open really. Kerry would first play Monaghan in Croke Park, then Galway or Tyrone away. Lose to Monaghan in Croke Park and its conceivable Kerry could be out before their home game against Galway or Tyrone. But I think its more likely that Kerry and Tyrone would come through that group.

Group 2 will see Dublin top it. Maybe Roscommon might take the scalp of Mayo if they played them in Hyde Park but I would fancy it to be Dublin and Mayo coming through 1 and 2.

So my boring prediction is a repeat of last years semi finals. At this stage I think last years chastening would see Kerry beat Mayo and Dublin wont get caught by Tyrone.

Dublin v Kerry final.

Dublin winners.

Advertisement