Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think the Quarter Finals should have been very meaningful to the eight counties involved in any previous year. The winners went to the Semi Finals, the losers went out. This year a county could lose the first game in the round robin and still get through to the Semi Final. If anything that could render some of those games less meaningful.

But the point t is that Dublin will not have a standalone QF because the crowd does not warrant it and the crowd has not warranted since 2011, which is coincidently before their current run of 5 All Ireland's in 7 seasons.

I don't think you can be so categorical at this stage. Say the group is Dublin, Tyrone, Galway, Mayo. Dublin and Tyrone had a full house for a League game in 2007. It had the novelty factor of being the first game under lights, and being on Saturday at 7 o'clock.

The novelty factor this time would be the first ever Super 8's games. Dublin Tyrone could bring a very big crowd if it was played on a Saturday. Even if Dublin Tyrone was only 60 to 70 thousand and Galway Mayo 30 to 40 thousand, then a lot of supporters would lose out in a double header.

I think the GAA have acted wisely in penciling in possible fixtures on Saturday and Sunday, rather than deciding this far ahead that only double headers will be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think you can be so categorical at this stage. Say the group is Dublin, Tyrone, Galway, Mayo. Dublin and Tyrone had a full house for a League game in 2007. It had the novelty factor of being the first game under lights, and being on Saturday at 7 o'clock.

The novelty factor this time would be the first ever Super 8's games. Dublin Tyrone could bring a very big crowd if it was played on a Saturday. Even if Dublin Tyrone was only 60 to 70 thousand and Galway Mayo 30 to 40 thousand, then a lot of supporters would lose out in a double header.

I think the GAA have acted wisely in penciling in possible fixtures on Saturday and Sunday, rather than deciding this far ahead that only double headers will be allowed.

Your reading it incorrectly

The Master Fixture list says the following
    14/15 (Sat/Sun)
    All-Ireland Senior Football Quarter Finals Phase 1 (2 Games – Pc an Chrgh)

21/22 (Sat/Sun)
    All-Ireland Senior Football Quarter Finals Phase 2 (Group 1 & 2)

4/5/6 (Sat/Sun/Mon)
    All-Ireland Senior Football Quarter Finals Phase 3 (Group 1 & 2)

So that means the first set of games will be two double headers in CP on Saturday Sunday

Where Dublin might see a standalone fixture is in Phase 2 or Phase 3 when they play their home game v a qualifier, possibly the Monday of Phase 3.

A fixture like you described there (Dublin v Tyrone/Galway v Mayo) would be a sell out just as Mayo v Tyrone and Dublin v Donegal was in 2016, but it would not warrant Dublin v Tyrone being stand alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dublin get two games at home every year

They should be made play away twice in the first year if super 8s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Dublin will win well this year. No team are close to them at the moment. Plenty of hype about Kerry making a challenge this year but I just don't think they have the players to challenge in which is an average set up by their high standards. Galway might find it hard to beat Mayo too come championship despite their good form to date. Dublin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Dublin get two games at home every year

They should be made play away twice in the first year if super 8s

Think this has been covered a good few hundred times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Think this has been covered a good few hundred times at this stage.

Please mod don’t let this thread develop into a debate on Dublin’s luxury of playing in Croke Park or a bitching match with them and Mayo fans

THANK YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Please keep discussion as to how posters believe this year's championship will evolve giving due consideration to the new quarter final format without turning the thread into YET ANOTHER debate re the rights and wrongs of Dublin playing in Croke Park.

Out of courosity regarding the home and away for the quarterfinals how (and when) is it decided ?

Let's say you have the example given earlier.

Dublin
    Tyrone
    Mayo
    Galway

Dublin v Tyrone and Mayo v Galway will be in Croke Park

But then how do they decide home for Dublin v Mayo, Tyrone v Mayo, Galway v Dublin and Galway v Tyrone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

No idea Tod. It's all as clear as mud!

But in the end of it all Dublin will probably be holding Sam again, they have an ability to get the job done even when not playing at 100%, or even 90%. So many options even with the top players that are missing. They just know how to win games where other teams crumble and find ways to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,224 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Out of courosity regarding the home and away for the quarterfinals how (and when) is it decided ?

Let's say you have the example given earlier.

Dublin
    Tyrone
    Mayo
    Galway

Dublin v Tyrone and Mayo v Galway will be in Croke Park

But then how do they decide home for Dublin v Mayo, Tyrone v Mayo, Galway v Dublin and Galway v Tyrone ?

Surely the Provincial winners play each other in croke park in round 1 in a double header with the two qualifiers also playing each other.

Logically, the Provincial winners should have home advantage in round 2 against one of the qualifiers. Done by open draw.

Qualifiers then have home advantage in round 3.

BPKS wrote: »
    Surely the Provincial winners play each other in croke park in round 1 in a double header with the two qualifiers also playing each other.

Logically, the Provincial winners should have home advantage in round 2 against one of the qualifiers. Done by open draw.

Qualifiers then have home advantage in round 3.

That's exactly what I wrote.

Dublin and Tyrone are the provincial champs in the example, Mayo and Galway are the qualifiers.

If I am reading it correctly this time, the GAA calendar has the full details. As we know Round 1 is the four Croke Park games.

Round 2 will be the Home games for the Qualifiers against the Provincial Champions. And Round 3 will be the Home games for the Provincial Champions. Who plays who where has already been decided.

E.g. In Round 2, Munster Runner Up / Team who beat them will have a Home fixture against the Leinster Champions. In Round 3, Leinster Champions will have a Home fixture against Connacht Runner Up / Team that beats them.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/

As with previous systems, I expect the pairings will be changed around in subsequent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

30440733_1867566993276919_1386930405432623104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEKWAYLsGcfNJnhY8H1rcaBx70xG_C_wOM7SXk5prSJvTqlpFzEc65NkgzxDiRcz33EfHp7MF0EuPHehJapORttUUiGwJumYlDskh0NmYNnSA&oh=c935b6c2c72c816e40e8eb793a1c1d2b&oe=5B7444B7

If I am reading it correctly this time, the GAA calendar has the full details. As we know Round 1 is the four Croke Park games.

Round 2 will be the Home games for the Qualifiers against the Provincial Champions. And Round 3 will be the Home games for the Provincial Champions. Who plays who where has already been decided.

E.g. In Round 2, Munster Runner Up / Team who beat them will have a Home fixture against the Leinster Champions. In Round 3, Leinster Champions will have a Home fixture against Connacht Runner Up / Team that beats them.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/

As with previous systems, I expect the pairings will be changed around in subsequent years.

Thanks for that.

So your reward for winning the Provincial Championship is to have two away games first in the Super 8s.

In theory by the time your home game comes around, you could already be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thanks for that.

So your reward for winning the Provincial Championship is to have two away games first in the Super 8s.

It's generally regarded as a small advantage (in other sports) to 'finish at home', that may have been the thinking. So Neutral,Away,Home would be seen as better than Neutral,Home,Away.

I guess what leaps out is that they made sure that there is no risk of the Croke Park games being dead rubbers.

Thanks for that.

In theory by the time your home game comes around, you could already be out.

For the likes of Mayo and Kerry a game in CP is hardly any "away" game, it's neutral at best and given how often they play there it's not far off a home game.

It's generally regarded as a small advantage (in other sports) to 'finish at home', that may have been the thinking. So Neutral,Away,Home would be seen as better than Neutral,Home,Away.

I guess what leaps out is that they made sure that there is no risk of the Croke Park games being dead rubbers.

Good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

For the likes of Mayo and Kerry a game in CP is hardly any "away" game, it's neutral at best and given how often they play there it's not far off a home game.

It's better than a home game for us... I think the Away game is also better at this stage too.

(For anyone who's not aware, Mayo's Home form is brutal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

PARlance wrote: »
    It's better than a home game for us... I think the Away game is also better at this stage too.

(For anyone who's not aware, Mayo's Home form is brutal)

Except when ye play Roscommon. Jeez I think it's 86 since we won there and loads of tail between the legs games since.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

If it's against each other or against Tyrone or Donegal or whoever it is a neutral game obviously

On another point, these games at Croke Park will get brutal crowds as they won't be knockout games.

Imagine if it's Kerry v Galway - very few will go all the way to Dublin for a game that isn't KO(Very few from either went last year and that was a KO game) It should be in Limerick same with the other neutral games.

TrueGael wrote: »
    If it's against each other or against Tyrone or Donegal or whoever it is a neutral game obviously

On another point, these games at Croke Park will get brutal crowds as they won't be knockout games.

Imagine if it's Kerry v Galway - very few will go all the way to Dublin for a game that isn't KO(Very few from either went last year and that was a KO game) It should be in Limerick same with the other neutral games.

I'd totally agree

They are adding two extra games, that's two extra expenses, people will pick and choose which games to go to if they don't have the means or time to go to all three.

You can blame Roscommon for the fact that the first game will be in CP and not another neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TrueGael wrote: »

Few would be going anyway given how gash the support is for them anyway.

Few would be going anyway given how gash the support is for them anyway.

Have you ever driven from Dublin to Clifden and back in the same day? Or Dublin to Caherciveen and back in the same day? Kerry typically bring around 7,000 to Croke Park for quarter finals. Around 20,000 for semi finals. And they are all football fans, not event junkies.

When 8,000 Dubs went to Kilkenny or Longford for a game you'd swear it was equivalent of Operation Barbarossa the way people went on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Where were all the Dublin fans for the league final . Attendance of 36000 and a fair proportion of them were Galway Cavan and rossies. And the final on there door step . They will be crying in September when they can’t get tickets ... the gash supporters that is

Have you ever driven from Dublin to Clifden and back in the same day? Or Dublin to Caherciveen and back in the same day? Kerry typically bring around 7,000 to Croke Park for quarter finals. Around 20,000 for semi finals. And they are all football fans, not event junkies.

When 8,000 Dubs went to Kilkenny or Longford for a game you'd swear it was equivalent of Operation Barbarossa the way people went on about it.

Jesus that touched a nerve.

spurshero wrote: »
    Where were all the Dublin fans for the league final . Attendance of 36000 and a fair proportion of them were Galway Cavan and rossies. And the final on there door step . They will be crying in September when they can’t get tickets ... the gash supporters that is

Probably at the Aviva watching Leinster. You can't be in 2 places at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Probably at the Aviva watching Leinster. You can't be in 2 places at once.

Was there a European cup quarter final
    on the day of the Leinster Championship
    semi final last year? 30k showed up for Dublin Westmeath.

• Advertisement

Jesus that touched a nerve.

You did actually:D

I went to the 2016 final to see the Kerry minors. I drove the 350km, ate breakfast, had two pints (dont tell the cops) and was in Croke Park at 12.30. I sent a Dublin mate of mine a photo of the Hill asking where all his mates were. He rang me back and replied he got up at 11am and was on the Luas, almost in Stephens Green at 12.45.

I got home that night and just caught the end of the Sunday Game.

Then again, some of the best craic I've had have been on that road (and the old road) with my mates going up and down to see Kerry in Croke Park.

Advertisement