Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings - a terrible day out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What's worse is this new gimmick of 3 day weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't mind weddings, but I have a small social circle and have never been to more than a few. My brother has been married 3 times and knows better than to ask me to be part of the wedding party. As long as the ceremony is brief, the pictures don't take too long and the food is decent, I'm a happy camper.

I had a colleague who had a true wedding disaster. She and her husband got married in Hawaii, so all of their family and friends flew out. They were both approaching 40 and had also recently learned they were pregnant, so planned on announcing it at the reception to all of their family and friends. The day before the wedding, the bride's mother went for a morning walk on the beach, had a stroke, and died in the hospital a few hours later. The silver lining was that the whole family was there, so they all got to say their goodbyes. My colleague and her family, god bless them, decided that the 200 guests had flown out to Hawaii to celebrate and have a good time and they were going to give them that. They explained the mother's absence by saying she wasn't feeling well and had a beautiful wedding. A week later, my colleague sent out a very beautiful note to all of her guests explaining what had happened and announcing their pregnancy. They had their little boy last August. So whenever I hear about Bride or Groomzillas losing their minds over the smallest details, I think of my colleague and of how gracefully she handled a truly terrible wedding event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dakota Dan wrote:
    The food is quickly forgotten when the drink comes along.

Not everyone wants to drink their heads off. I'd rather a good meal than a feed of pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Nothing at all wrong with it if its what you want . But whats the problem with others not wanting what you want ? Surely its to each his own

It’s not really is it? If the woman wants a big wedding she will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've often wondered what input grooms have into all the trappings of a BIG wedding?

I suppose they just go along with it and leave the Bride and entourage to it. Easier for the Groom I think!

Am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

I've never heard anybody get ratty over people not attending a wedding. Most people couldn't give a toss who attends and who doesn't.
    I believe you! but you must understand the reason you've never heard anyone get ratty isn't because of all the love for a big irish wedding, it is because people conform and go. The spend a few hundred quid doing something they don't really want to do.
    erica74 wrote: »
    But if you want to go to all of those weddings, then go. Presumably if it was your close friend's wedding you would want to go.

Well I am living in reality and I have just not gone to different weddings down through the years and it wasn't that big a deal. The couple who are getting married really don't give a shite who turns up bar the people who they are really close to and those are all people who probably want to go anyway.
    Here you are, the couple do give a ****e if certain people don't go.
    If you don't like wedding then you don't like weddings, you're not going to suddenly like just because people getting married are "really close". Some people never shut up about "really close".
    You'd be surprised how the "really close" number can grow. If a guy had 3 siblings and 3 children you can chalk that down for 7 visits to the top table, his partner has same that's another 3 trips for her.
    So in Ireland if the guy and girl had absolutely 0 friends between them, they could be at 10 weddings on immediate family alone.
    This is before you count in.
    School friends
    College friends
    Work friends
    former job friends
    Close friends
    really close friends
    really really really close friends
    football team
    soccer team
    extended family
    extended other side of family
    Current neighbors
    Neighbors growing up

Then just double for your OH

but they're all special days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It’s not really is it? If the woman wants a big wedding she will get it.

Well is that not the grooms business if he is happy to give her what she wants ? Not sure why that would bother anyone else really

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well is that not the grooms business if he is happy to give her what she wants ? Not sure why that would bother anyone else really

The guy you responded to initially said he would like a few beers in a tent but women in general want a big wedding.

Therefore the maxim live and let live can’t apply. Somethings gotta give, and it’s generally the beers in the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only thing I feel after a big wedding (when I get home) is RELIEF!

Funnily the wedding is never really a topic of conversation for very long, maybe a couple of days or so? You know, swapping Whatsapp pics for a couple of days, and they eventually get deleted. Storage issues lol. We move on quickly, but a few hundred quid lighter though all the same.

I don’t get the “you don’t have to go” philosophy either. You may chose to not go to the marriage of family or close friends but you will lose contact with them - it’s a big snub. Workmates you have to meet in work after the wedding - so you can’t refuse in that situation without a good reason.

In small towns or some city suburbs even acquaintances can’t be avoided, so it’s awkward if you snub them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

This craic of having the venue in a “unique, memorable” location is a load of bollix.
    Was at a wedding last year in an comically remote area up the Wicklow mountains in a sort of outdoor activity centre that had a function room. The main topic of conversation among the guests was how they managed to get there in one piece.

Load of people left early to navigate the treacherous roads home. What’s the point other than saving moolah for the B and G

Depends on the location
    A "unique, memorable" location doesn't need to be in a remote area with dangerous roads.
    Churches can be in remote locations with dangerous roads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Just have a good excuse and give them a present. Once they get the money they won't really care anyway.

My dad did that for my sisters wedding but it didn’t work.

(No he didn’t but it underlies the stupidity of the “you don’t have to go” philosophy. For close friends and family you do).

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Well go home then misery guts the wedding will probably be better craic without you!!!

A wedding would be nothing without me, I throw back as much free drink as I can before leaning up against the bar, when there I start giving out about everything, I cut cut cut, nobody or no thing is safe. The food the music the people the dresses. I'll always manage to bring a good crowd under my blanket of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    What's worse is this new gimmick of 3 day weddings.

ah jaysis are you for real?

thankfully i'm old enough where those who are gonna married have done so and young enough that the next gen of kids are too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

paw patrol wrote: »
    ah jaysis are you for real?

thankfully i'm old enough where those who are gonna married have done so and young enough that the next gen of kids are too young.

Very real, going to one on December and it's her second time getting married in 6 years. It's enough going to their wedding but when they decide to have multiple weddings it's a pure pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I don’t get the “you don’t have to go” philosophy either. You may chose to not go to the marriage of family or close friends but you will lose contact with them - it’s a big snub. Workmates you have to meet in work after the wedding - so you can’t refuse in that situation without a good reason.

In small towns or some city suburbs even acquaintances can’t be avoided, so it’s awkward if you snub them.

I'm not attending a work wedding this summer. Said I've a weekend away booked. She got pissed off with me without saying so but I really don't care.
    Others moaning about 'having to go'.

I'm not attending a work wedding this summer. Said I've a weekend away booked. She got pissed off with me without saying so but I really don't care.

Ok. The phrase “have to go” doesn’t mean people have to go by law, or are forced to go.

It means you can’t not go without repercussions.

Ok. The phrase “have to go” doesn’t mean people have to go by law, or are forced to go.

It means you can’t not go without repercussions.

Don't agree with that. I've not gone to a load of cousins weddings, extended circle of friends weddings. I haven't had any repercussions of which you speak. I'm getting married next year and I don't care who goes to be honest.
    I've about 60 cousins, played on loads of sports teams, big work network, school friends, college friends, then just my normal circle of friends.
    I'll do a list of about 20 I want there. She can invite the other 180 if she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

This is a "marmite" issue, you either love or hate weddings.

But even if you hate them, there are some of close family that it is very difficult to get out of, particularly with the "save the date" things, meaning you cannot inadvertently oooops, have booked a holiday for the same time" Trapped we are !

Anyway, I'm not a great lover of weddings myself have to say, but will go to immediate family ones no problem. I know everyone and get sitting beside like minded people. Usually good fun.

Younger folk love them for the all day event, the drinking and dancing, and sing song into the small hours. I was one of them once!

But now I'm getting older the only part of weddings I don't like is the dancing part. So now, we go to all the ceremonies, hang around, have a drink, eat the meal, chat to everyone, and then feck off about an hour into the dancing. We are NOT missed at all!

I think the Queen has the right idea. At all the recent weddings she attended, she just toasted the B+G at the after ceremony drinks reception and fecked off home to her corgis!
    A Marmite issue. Must remember that one!
    "This is a Marmite situation, men". Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I just refuse to attend social events and the last invite I got to a wedding, I told them straight out I'm not going because I don't want to. I haven't been invited to anything since

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I just refuse to attend social events and the last invite I got to a wedding, I told them straight out I'm not going because I don't want to. I haven't been invited to anything since

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I'm not good at the old dancing,so I hate being looked upon as some sort of invalid if I am not on the floor moving like a professional."A come on,out on the floor"Bollocks, I just want to sit here and enjoy my pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's not that simple.

Also, just because a lot of people don't enjoy something you happen to enjoy doesn't make them 'miserable'. Thinking so does make you rather arrogant though.

But they are miserable. And they seem to want praise for going to a ceremony that’ll make them miserable, just so that they can whinge about how awful it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

EPAndlee wrote: »

My brother in law just refuses to go too. Especially family occasions. No excuses and no apologies. Just “thanks for asking but no, I don’t go to any of these things”. End of story now change the subject.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I don't mind the middle bit at all. After the church a big gang of us will always pull into a local pub either near the church or between the church and the hotel and have 2 or 3 pints. Then onto the hotel check in, drop bags in the room and then tuck into finger food, have a few more pints while chatting away/listening to what ever entertainment was put on. To be honest I usually find we are being rounded up for the meal and hunted in as the time flies between the end of the church and the start of the meal.
    Yay! I'd love to see smaller 1950s style weddings come back into fashion. Even in the 80s and 90s brides still changed into 'Going away' clothes and were seen off by the guests, all standing on the steps of the hotel as the B&G drove away with cans and horseshoes trailing behind them.
    It was a lovely end to the wedding. Nowadays the bedraggled bride and stocious groom are usually the last to leave the resident's lounge, still in their wedding gear. It's just not the same.

The bride and groom leaving during the reception was the most ridiculous concept ever. Leaving your own party just when it was getting started and miss all the craic that went on. How it ever started I'll never know. I still hear my parents and people of their generation mention how looking back thet really felt they missed out on half their own party with leaving.

Don't get this desire for an early finish to a wedding, some of the bet craic is at 4am in the residents bar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I love a wedding! I just love them. I love selecting a fancy rigout, getting my hair and make up done. Everyone is in good form. Lovely food, a bit of a dance. Probably all very selfish...but I love a good wedding! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Weddings are a real chore. People only pretend to like them. They are pretentious, expensive and a bloody waste of time.
    I can never remember a particular wedding, they all just merge into one bad night out in my memory.

"Yes of course, your wedding was so different and one of the best I was ever at....and no the food for 200 people didn't taste like carvery at all.
    You were right to make it a 3 day extravaganza and I thought your friends and family were amazing people"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Most weddings I've been to have been really dull with terrible discos and awful country western music at the end of the night. There is a few out there I enjoyed though, my mates wedding, a trad musician, so a crazy session was had. My sisters wedding was great craic, she made me musical director, so I hired all my mates as the trad act along with myself, another mate from Scotland who played the fine bagpipes to pipe in the dinner guests and another friend to do a set dancing class with said trad band creating the sound :) And my cousins last year, also a trad musician with mighty sessions on the go, she's a dancer too so she had friends from Riverdance do a show with live trad music and Smash Hits to close the night. Sorry for going against the rant, lost the run of myself. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

splinter65 wrote: »
    My brother in law just refuses to go too. Especially family occasions. No excuses and no apologies. Just “thanks for asking but no, I don’t go to any of these things”. End of story now change the subject.

Better to be honest about it and not constantly just making up excuses not to go. I can't just away and leave my dog alone at home

Advertisement