Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion ref - am I the only one who doesn't care?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I would say that there is going to be a lower turn out than expected know several lads that aren't voting and that's simply people who will out right say it.

That's because of the attention this while farce it's gathering.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

You're the biggest evil murderer if you vote yes and you're the biggest evil murderer if you vote no.

People shoving opinions in my face in the city and across the country can ask the back end of my sack.

The information is there if we want to look it up, the dates and how to are there if we want to vote and when.

Personally I think their shouldn't be canvassing of posters , flyers , TV/radio/internet adverts, protests etc.

Stick all the information onto a non biased website , keep opinions to yourselfs and go and vote what you think is right without judgement.

I'll be voting myself, and if anyone asks what I'm voting, they'll be told "I'm voting" that's all that matters.

**** The above is how it should be done and that's it really.****

As this forum is for discussion and opinions and I'm going to say here what I'm voting and it is a yes vote.

Because too long this backwards / arseways country has been run on rule from the Catholic church. We want to be seen as a modern European country and move on in the world , currently in the 21st century but yet we are using some laws defined / created by the church and it needs to end.

One thing that annoys me about this debate too is people just seem to be under the illusion that removing the 8th will open up abortion to people that just didn't use contraception and couldn't be bothered etc when it's not the case. Or people that have their old fashioned view of abortion is murder.

I wish these people knew or seen how many people travel for abortions or even at home go through some extreme events of hoping to miscarry.

I disagree with the advert (appears for me on dailymotion) where the doctor (female) claims she believes in true healthcare etc and she's voting no.... But hey she's pregnant, and I'd say there's a doctor I hope not to visit.

Where doctors will sit idle by and let a woman suffer and cannot treat because of pregnancy.

Anyway I'm ranting.... Good luck to all sides here , and remember no matter what you do, you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't give a toss about the outcome?

I'd always say, get out and vote anyway, no matter what the campaign is about, democracy has been a very powerful creation by mankind, but it requires our participation in order to exist and survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

I think the only thing anyone can do is go out and find out all the information, go to official and/or expert sources, and vote with a good understanding of what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Abstaining from a vote is a valid democratic decision in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

You should be voting no obviously, we're talking about killing babies and hoovering them out of the womb, but if you really don't care you could sell your vote to somebody. I didn't care about the gay marriage thing because it didn't matter so I just told a rabid leftist friend I'd vote the way they wanted for 50 quid. Bunsen burner, nice little earner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think the only thing anyone can do is go out and find out all the information, go to official and/or expert sources, and vote with a good understanding of what's involved.

And if you’re not convinced one way or the other do you think it’s acceptable to abstain?

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Men got the right to vote in 1884, women didn’t. Because they were women, not men. Ergo, penis = vote. Vagina= no vote.

Universal suffrage for men didn't come about until WWI. Women had to protest in the street to get the vote, the average man had to die by the millions in the battlefields of Europe.

Put like that I probably should vote....on matters I care about!

Abstaining from a vote is a valid democratic decision in ireland.

this is true, and people are perfectly entitled to do this, but participation is a key element of maintaining some sort of democratic control, you can always spoil your vote if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Omackeral wrote:
    And if you’re not convinced one way or the other do you think it’s acceptable to abstain?

It's your right to abstain.

However, with all these referendums that involve rights and human empathy (marriage ref, woman's vote etc), an abstain is saying that you want nothing to change, which is the same as a No vote. That may or may not be the intended consequence, but it should be taken into consideration when you are deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn’t give a sh1t. Housing and health far more important. Probably will vote yes if I can bother my arse to get out there.

You won't find many protests, no cute logos and no catchy hashtags about our abominable health system or housing even though it impacts on far more people than abortion ever will.

There's only people dying over HSE fcuk-ups and dying on the streets.

If this is passed, I wonder how many will die through botched abortions courtesy of the HSE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is what I find interesting. I'm 'supposed' to care, I don't. And why should I?

you have a civic responsibility to society and to your fellow citizens

It's a consequence of a being a grown up in a democratic society

but it's easier not to care

and so cool as well

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I listened to a podcast of an analysis of Facebook manipulation during the US election.

One point they made that was they can identify which way you're likely to vote. If you were going to vote against them they would target your ads to try and deter you from voting at all. Like the op.
    They knew they wouldnt get you to change your vote so getting you not to vote is still a win. So while I don't really care I have an opinion. So I vote.

If everybody who didn't really care, voted in the Brexit referendum I think thered have been a different result.

I listened to a podcast of an analysis of Facebook manipulation during the US election.

One point they made that was they can identify which way you're likely to vote. If you were going to vote against them they would target your ads to try and deter you from voting at all. Like the op.
    They knew they wouldnt get you to change your vote so getting you not to vote is still a win. So while I don't really care I have an opinion. So I vote.

If everybody who didn't really care, voted in the Brexit referendum I think thered have been a different result.

can you link that podcast? thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

OP well done 74 (including mine) posts, including mine discussing 'how you don't care' but just enough to start a thread. Almost like you wanted to troll. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

I really don't care which side wins. I'm not registered and won't be voting. I barely go on Facebook these days because I'm sick of seeing posts about abortion. In work I have people trying to tease out which side I'm on and my response of 'don't know' seems to disappoint them.

Nope. I'm in the same boat. Won't be in the country anyway. But I do wish that they would f**k right off with the distracting posters on every single lamp post. Some are even up so high you have to look up to see them, which is a major distraction while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

My 15 year old daughter has been discussing this topic with us and trying to form her views on it. Both myself and my wife struggle to find a position that we’re comfortable with such is the complexity of the issue so we try and share the facts as best we can and leave the door open for discussion.

She came home visibly upset yesterday and said they were chatting about it in school. She mentioned that there were some girls that were extremely vocal and in favour of a yes vote. She mentioned during the discussion that she didn’t know what way to think about it and was subsequently launched on, abused and called a cee you next tues by one of the extreme “yes” girls for daring to think for herself.

I explained that this is what it’s like for grown ups too.

On one end you have the yes side who tend to shout a lot and righteously tell everyone else that they’re wrong.

On the other end of the spectrum we have a small core group of religious nutters doing exactly the same thing..

And the rest of us are stuck somewhere in the middle just trying to do the right thing by our own conscience whatever way that may land.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I really don't care which side wins. I'm not registered and won't be voting. I barely go on Facebook these days because I'm sick of seeing posts about abortion. In work I have people trying to tease out which side I'm on and my response of 'don't know' seems to disappoint them.

Have you any family members that may require an abortion at any time in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    OP well done 74 (including mine) posts, including mine discussing 'how you don't care' but just enough to start a thread. Almost like you wanted to troll. ; )

Apathy isn't just confined to the op. 150,000 young people still haven't regiatered to vote according to the National Youth Council. Personally speaking I couldn't care either, I'll probably vote the same way as I did laat time we had a vote on this matter, however,if I missed the polling booth that day I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    I'm with the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    can you link that podcast? thank you
    It was about a year ago so I'm not entirely sure.
    It was one of Sam Harris.
    I just had a google and I think it was this one.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/the-russia-connection/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

So a new reg promotes people not voting after the polls show a load of undecided voters...
    Not suspicious at all at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Froshtbit wrote: »
    It's kind of a big deal for everybody. I dont partake in conversations related to it at work or on facebook but you know, it' understandable why people are talking about it.

I get that's a big deal for a lot of people, but there's surely plenty of people like me who don't give a ****?

Well you should give a f**k. It might have an impact on a friend or relation down the line.
    Me me me me me me ,

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Maybe RedC/Irish Times/MRBI could add new categories to polling options - Yes / No / I Don't Know / I Don't Care / I Don't Want To Talk About It.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I actually think this is a useful thread.

I'm one of those 'undecideds'. No doubt some will throw up their hands in horror at such an admission in the face of so much 'evidence'. My difficulty is that I can see some argument for both sides. Anyway, my position is not the point of the thread.......**

I believe that voting in any election/referendum should be compulsory. Otherwise only the truly committed get to decide on important matters. This might sound ideal, but the risk is that those most committed souls may not accurately reflect the aspiration of the majority.

So, to the OP I would say - you absolutely should vote, and you should try to inform yourself as best you can beforehand. You should care about the outcome because it will shape our society. You will have to live in that society.

** the opener was to put some context around my point and to say that come what may, I WILL be voting. Perversely perhaps, I may even consider spoiling my vote. But the total poll will still reflect that I took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'm not too pushed about the referendum. If I was in politics, I'd only be using it as a bargaining chip to entice a party with strong views on the issue into coalition, in exchange for unquestioningly following my vision. It'd be a bargaining chip and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I'm so sick of hearing about the bloody referendum that for some time, a large part of me wanted nothing to do with it. My own little protest in my head was going to be abstention from voting.

Sometimes I have these self indulgent episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I'm not too pushed about the referendum. If I was in politics, I'd only be using it as a bargaining chip to entice a party with strong views on the issue into coalition, in exchange for unquestioningly following my vision. It'd be a bargaining chip and nothing more.

That's an interesting point. I've often thought over the years, that parties choose a position based on political expediency rather than conscience or 'the right thing'.

Silly cynical me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whether you care or not it will have a major impact on this country so its highly important and one which every citizen who's eligible to vote should there's no point in not voting and moaning about the result after when you're 1 vote could have been the difference in whatever outcome it ends up bring so a vote is a must for every Irish citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whether you care or not it will have a major impact on this country so its highly important and one which every citizen who's eligible to vote should there's no point in not voting and moaning about the result after when you're 1 vote could have been the difference in whatever outcome it ends up being so a vote is a must for every Irish citizen to determine the future of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Red_Wake wrote: »

Somewhat like the prominent Irish politicians who were pro-life, who then "struggled with their beliefs" are now pro-choice.

Q: what changed?
    A: the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Somewhat like the prominent Irish politicians who were pro-life, who then "struggled with their beliefs" are now pro-choice.

Q: what changed?
    A: the wind.

Depends on their fan-base, example the Healy-Raes will never be 'struggling' with their beliefs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement