Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion ref - am I the only one who doesn't care?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ah but there are many things I don't care about and so I don't bother about them. I don't start conversations about them, I skip over threads about them, and overall just don't spend much energy worrying about them.
    I'm not giving out so much as acknowledging my amusement of it.

It’s perfectly legit for him to open a thread about this - there’s a certain argument to incredulity about people who think this should be an important topic to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The result is not important to me.
    Nor me. But it is important for society. And understanding that is what separates the ignorant from the informed, the completely self centred from the somewhat socially conscious, and the boys from the men.

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

What is interesting is how I'm being hectored by some people here to vote, as if my not caring offends them.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    At least you have the option to not vote. These women don't have a choice to get an abortion.

I think it's pretty childish to not vote. You don't have to care about it to vote, it's got nothing to do with social media either. I'm not engaging in any social media or conversation at work about it.

I'll be there to vote Yes. It's fine if people disagree with abortion but the fact of the matter is this vote is to do with giving women choice.

You're a great addition to our society...

You realise pro lifers are just as likely to lecture me as your side? Surely my not voting is a good thing for you in that case?

Nor me. But it is important for society. And understanding that is what separates the ignorant from the informed, the completely self centred from the somewhat socially conscious, and the boys from the men.

Lol. That’s basically a generalised ad hominem.

Abortion is a medical procedure that women can go abroad to access without legal repercussions.

After the referendum they can have the medical procedure here.

That’s great and it’s an advance but a minor one. There’s lots more important issues in Ireland, and indeed abroad. These issues are however in general less fashionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My aunt in her early sixties is the strangest thing yet. She used often speak about being in favor of abortion. She kicked up a terrible fuss about Lucinda's stance on it a few years ago. Now, that she has the chance to vote for some reason she's not. She says it should be up to women who it effects!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

endacl wrote: »
    Yep. There are a few. Whatever word describes the opposite of grownup, but not a child. That'd be the word for them.

a fetus?

Lol. That’s basically a generalised ad hominem.
    No. It's a defence of voting.
    Abortion is a medical procedure that women can go abroad to access without legal repercussions.

After the referendum they can have the medical procedure here.

That’s great and it’s an advance but a minor one. There’s lots more important issues in Ireland, and indeed abroad. These issues are however in general less fashionable.
    There always are. And what's wrong with fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

My aunt in her early sixties is the strangest thing yet. She used often speak about being in favor of abortion. She kicked up a terrible fuss about Lucinda's stance on it a few years ago. Now, that she has the chance to vote for some reason she's not. She says it should be up to women who it effects!

I can understand that, wanting to step aside and let the people directly affected decide their own fate.

Unfortunately I doubt many on the other side of the aisle will share such a reflective view & attitudes like that could well sink the yes vote.

No. It's a defence of voting.

There always are. And what's wrong with fashion?

Fashion think is the worst kind of think.

(Not my words but the words of 1980’s DJ Albert Einstein.)

I wish the yes campaign well, I may bother my arse voting or I may not. It’s not very important to me either way.

I’ll prove that by unfollowing the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You realise pro lifers are just as likely to lecture me as your side? Surely my not voting is a good thing for you in that case?

If you getting a lecture from prolifers means not voting is a good thing for the Yes side, then you're implying you'd vote no. I thought you didn't care?

Fashion think is the worst kind of think.

(Not my words but the words of 1980’s DJ Albert Einstein.)

I wish the yes campaign well, I may bother my arse voting or I may not. It’s not very important to me either way.

I’ll prove that by unfollowing the thread
    Disagree with DJ MC^2 on that one. Good fashion exists.

It's not very important to me either. But I'll be sure to vote. Because it's very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

You have no idea how quickly the result could become important to you. If you have a partner, a sister, a niece, a friend who is or will be of child bearing age in the future, then this could easily land on your doorstep. Do you have any idea how common miscarriage is? Do you know how the 8 amendment affects the care of pregnant women in this country whose pregnancies are in difficultly through no fault of their own? It’s not just the people who want to have an abortion. It’s about the health and medical treatment of pregnant women all over the country. It’s not just a crisis pregnancy issue.

It’s a bit rich as a man to say there are more important issues than this such as health. This is a women’s health issue ffs.

Ill informed people like you shouldn’t have a vote on such an important issue.

To think women had to fight for their vote and people like you were handed one for having a penis....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Toastytoes wrote: »

Just as well he's not voting then isn't it?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Couldn’t give a sh1t. Housing and health far more important. Probably will vote yes if I can bother my arse to get out there.

Well given that the 8th gives precedence to a foetus over the mother, which can be to the detriment of their health or even in some case their lives (eg. Shelia Hodgers) if the pregnancy puts them at risk due to existing health issues, or any caused as a result of being pregnant - so to vote yes is to allow unhindered access to a service for women's health and well-being if they require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

swampgas wrote: »
    You're probably not the only one, but your attitude also suggests that you don't give a toss about women, including any female friends, sisters, aunts, nieces, cousins who might be affected by the 8th.

i would have to disagree. he can care about women but not about a referendum. it's possible to do both.
    This is what I find interesting. I'm 'supposed' to care, I don't. And why should I?

you don't have to. it's up to you at the end of the day. my view would be that it is about the type of society you would like to live in ultimately, and you should vote whichever way you feel is the best outcome. but it's okay not to be interested in the referendum if that is how you feel. you are not wrong for feeling as you do, you feel how you feel.
    chite wrote: »
    Well given that the 8th gives precedence to a foetus over the mother, which can be to the detriment of their health or even in some case their lives (eg. Shelia Hodgers) if the pregnancy puts them at risk due to existing health issues, or any caused as a result of being pregnant - so to vote yes is to allow unhindered access to a service for women's health and well-being if they require it.

to be fair, Sheila Hodgers died before the 8th was implemented.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

At least you have the option to not vote. These women don't have a choice to get an abortion.

I think it's pretty childish to not vote. You don't have to care about it to vote, it's got nothing to do with social media either. I'm not engaging in any social media or conversation at work about it.

I'll be there to vote Yes. It's fine if people disagree with abortion but the fact of the matter is this vote is to do with giving women choice.

If that's the case, then theres hundreds of thousands in the same bracket? Roughly 40% of the electorate didn't vote in the marriage equality referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ill vote yes. Not because i care, i dont, but because i just feel that a yes vote is the correct one.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just as well he's not voting then isn't it?! :pac:

The fact he’s not registered suggests this isn’t the first time he couldn’t be bothered to vote. I’d normally advocate using your vote but with this guy I feel like he’s no loss tbh and I wouldn’t be expecting him to make an informed decision on how to vote anyway.

Toastytoes wrote: »

To think women had to fight for their vote and people like you were handed one for having a penis....

As ignorant as I am, I'm not as ignorant as you. The majority of men weren't given the right to vote because they have a penis :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

This thread is like the repeal debate.

Do we have the right to tell the O.P. what he should do with his body (i.e. walk to a polling booth and lift a pencil to mark a card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I really don't care which side wins. I'm not registered and won't be voting. I barely go on Facebook these days because I'm sick of seeing posts about abortion. In work I have people trying to tease out which side I'm on and my response of 'don't know' seems to disappoint them.

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't give a toss about the outcome?

You're an idiot. /thread

Orion wrote: »
    You're an idiot. /thread

In your opinion.

As ignorant as I am, I'm not as ignorant as you. The majority of men weren't given the right to vote because they have a penis :D

Men got the right to vote in 1884, women didn’t. Because they were women, not men. Ergo, penis = vote. Vagina= no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

to be fair, Sheila Hodgers died before the 8th was implemented.

True, she died in March of '83 (and baby), and the 8th was brought in September of that same year - but that's beside the point. She had been receiving treatment for cancer until she became pregnant, due to the ethos of the hospital and the harm that may affect the foetus.

I mentioned her to address the point of how repealing the 8th would prevent the likes of her case from happening, and how integral it is to women's healthcare (I could've said Savita, but we've all heard about that case - several accounts of women's stories (and men's) on the Facebook page, "In Her Shoes", is recommended reading for what I'm talking about).

Now off to bed I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Perhaps not, but the result of the last abortion referendum might well have been very important to you in that had the result gone the other way, you might not be here.

So perhaps look at it that way. It was illegal when you were developing in the womb to decide to step in and end your life, discarding your remains. Wouldn't you therefore like that the rights that were afforded to you at that stage were afforded to others?

I know I would. I am grateful that Irish citizens voted to protect my rights in the womb and so that's what I intend to do also: vote to protect our developing young at their most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In your opinion.
    Dunno. I tend to agree. A consensus appears to be forming...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I think it could be easily added to the referendum papers - an additional question "Do you care a fxck one way or the other"?

It's the only way we can get credible, accurate data on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's hard to care that much when you can 100% guarantee whichever way the result goes the govt will completely botch any future legislation anyway and it'll rumble on for another decade or so unfixed.
    why can't we just have EU law made by grown ups on the topic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

---

I think it's pretty childish to not vote. You don't have to care about it to vote,

Ah here I think it's pretty important that people care at least a bit about what they are voting on, otherwise they might as well just flip a coin before going to the booth.

No the vote is to remove the 8th nothing else, that's one of the problems with all this what's actually applied is in the hands of the politicians rather than the people, also one of the most of the popular stances raised by the Citizen's Convention, amending the 8th isn't being given as a choice.

Why get personal? Would it be better if they were voting to retain the 8th due to caring a lot?

I would say that there is going to be a lower turn out than expected know several lads that aren't voting and that's simply people who will out right say it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement