Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion ref - am I the only one who doesn't care?

Options
  • 30-04-2018 10:59pm
    Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭

I really don't care which side wins. I'm not registered and won't be voting. I barely go on Facebook these days because I'm sick of seeing posts about abortion. In work I have people trying to tease out which side I'm on and my response of 'don't know' seems to disappoint them.

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't give a toss about the outcome?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes, you’re special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Welcome to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

It's kind of a big deal for everybody. I dont partake in conversations related to it at work or on facebook but you know, it' understandable why people are talking about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Froshtbit wrote: »
    It's kind of a big deal for everybody. I dont partake in conversations related to it at work or on facebook but you know, it' understandable why people are talking about it.

I get that's a big deal for a lot of people, but there's surely plenty of people like me who don't give a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

I know at one person who ain't voting and holds the opinion that stuff like this just divides society and that your opinion isn't that important or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I get that's a big deal for a lot of people, but there's surely plenty of people like me who don't give a ****?

So edgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Why start a thread on your lack of interest in something..?

So edgy

How is that edgy?
    Noveight wrote: »
    Why start a thread on your lack of interest in something..?

Because I seem to the only person who doesn't care. Everyone I know irl seems caught up in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I really don't care which side wins. I'm not registered and won't be voting. I barely go on Facebook these days because I'm sick of seeing posts about abortion. In work I have people trying to tease out which side I'm on and my response of 'don't know' seems to disappoint them.

Couldn’t give a sh1t. Housing and health far more important. Probably will vote yes if I can bother my arse to get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

You're probably not the only one, but your attitude also suggests that you don't give a toss about women, including any female friends, sisters, aunts, nieces, cousins who might be affected by the 8th.

Maybe you should ask them what they think about it, you might learn something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Probably in a minority alright but I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel that way, of course you're not going to see many people in the discussions if they're not interested though. It'd be a pretty short thread. "I don't care." "Me neither." End. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I feel strongly about it in my own way and will vote but I too completely swerve any discussion about it as I don't really like all the vitriol and lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have a few friends on facebook who are into the repeal or keep campaign. Apart from that I don't hear much talk about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'll be voting YES myself but to be honest OP, you're entitled to have no great for or against view on it if you want. I don't see how it's edgy really, as has been said here. I would say though that reading some unbiased material,even at a glance, would be a decent thing to do. If you're informed and still undecided, that's fine by me. I'd usually vote for freedom on choice on things, even if they don't effect me. You're not forcing anything on anyone, just giving more options to those who might need or want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm always amused by people who go to such lengths to tell other people how much they don't care about something. Some people open and leave comments on thread others have started, others go as far as starting their own threads. It doesn't matter the topic but if it's any way popular or current, you're going to have at least one person try to tell people how much they don't care about it.

swampgas wrote: »
    You're probably not the only one, but your attitude also suggests that you don't give a toss about women, including any female friends, sisters, aunts, nieces, cousins who might be affected by the 8th.

Maybe you should ask them what they think about it, you might learn something.

A guy I was really good friends with in school listened to stuff online and posters and decided to show compassion to woman(mainly his girlfriend) he put a 'Together For Yes' banner on his Facebook profile. It was then he learnt she was pro-life. Poor lad didn't know what to do.

A guy I was really good friends with in school listened to stuff online and posters and decided to show compassion to woman(mainly his girlfriend) he put a 'Together For Yes' banner on his Facebook profile. It was then he learnt she was pro-life. Poor lad didn't know what to do.

Ha ha poor sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. There are a few. Whatever word describes the opposite of grownup, but not a child. That'd be the word for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm always amused by people who go to such lengths to tell other people how much they don't care about something. Some people open and leave comments on thread others have started, others go as far as starting their own threads. It doesn't matter the topic but if it's any way popular or current, you're going to have at least one person try to tell people how much they don't care about it.

It's hardly great lengths. It's just a thread! You're giving out about him giving out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

There is a difference between not caring about the referendum and not realising the importance of the result. The latter is quite an astonishing admittance of ignorance for any adult who has grown up in Ireland.

• Advertisement

At least he did his own research and made up his own mind on it. His girlfriend may not be too impressed but I'm impressed he put thought and consideration into it, instead of just doing something because others said he should.

There is a difference between not caring about the referendum and not realising the importance of the result. The latter is quite an astonishing admittance of ignorance for any adult who has grown up in Ireland.

This is what I find interesting. I'm 'supposed' to care, I don't. And why should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This is what I find interesting. I'm 'supposed' to care, I don't. And why should I?
    You shouldn't 'care'. You should take an interest, because you're a grownup.

List a few things you do care about, just so we can get a more rounded picture of you.

Omackeral wrote:
    It's hardly great lengths. It's just a thread! You're giving out about him giving out!

Ah but there are many things I don't care about and so I don't bother about them. I don't start conversations about them, I skip over threads about them, and overall just don't spend much energy worrying about them.
    I'm not giving out so much as acknowledging my amusement of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

No. Read the post again. You're not "supposed" to care. There is zero obligation to care.

However, to not grasp the severity of the situation and the importance of the referendum result is an astonishing admittance of ignorance.

But to repeat, you do not have to "care". However, for many people, one follows the other, in that a better understanding of the situation leads to a greater tendency to "care".

endacl wrote: »
    You shouldn't 'care'. You should take an interest, because you're a grownup.

List a few things you do care about, just so we can get a more rounded picture of you.

I don't agree that I 'have' to take in a interest in something just because it's important to you personally.

At least he did his own research and made up his own mind on it. His girlfriend may not be too impressed but I'm impressed he put thought and consideration into it, instead of just doing something because others said he should.

He didn't put any real consideration into it. All the media campaigns say this is equality for women/show compassion/etc. So, he went with it thinking she'd have liked it. He didn't do any real research into what exactly what we're voting on/etc/

No. Read the post again. You're not "supposed" to care. There is zero obligation to care.

However, to not grasp the severity of the situation and the importance of the referendum result is an astonishing admittance of ignorance.

But to repeat, you do not have to "care". However, for many people, one follows the other, in that a better understanding of the situation leads to a greater tendency to "care".

The result is not important to me.

He didn't put any real consideration into it. All the media campaigns say this is equality for women/show compassion/etc. So, he went with it thinking she'd have liked it. He didn't do any real research into what exactly what we're voting on/etc/

Oh. Nevermind so! It sounded like he researched it and made up his own mind. Maybe he will now since trying to appease someone left him in a sticky spot. Maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

At least you have the option to not vote. These women don't have a choice to get an abortion.

I think it's pretty childish to not vote. You don't have to care about it to vote, it's got nothing to do with social media either. I'm not engaging in any social media or conversation at work about it.

I'll be there to vote Yes. It's fine if people disagree with abortion but the fact of the matter is this vote is to do with giving women choice.
    The result is not important to me.

You're a great addition to our society...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement