Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangladeshi Trainee Garda and His Sham Marriage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

and what are you basing that on? apart from the colour of their skin of course.

That old diversionary red herring again. Next you will be calling the Gaurds racist up there with Stormfront. Very tedious tactics at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

quintana76 wrote: »
    That old diversionary red herring again. Next you will be calling the Gaurds racist up there with Stormfront. Very tedious tactics at this stage.

i never mentioned the guards being racist. Please do try to read what is actually posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

It really doesn't. the issue is with the OPs claim that all bangladeshis that are not doctors or working in IT are dodgy.

Hang on.

It is absolutely not.
    It is an open attempt at highlighting the stupidity of some of our policies.
    We have loads of foreign people who provide great help to our country where we are short. Help that allows us to advance and progress.
    No point allowing dodgy lads from Bangladesh (or anywhere else) waste time trying to come in and get in to call centres, farm jobs, AGS etc

To be fair they don't have to be doctors they can work working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, or come on holidays. But should not get in to call centres, farm jobs, AGS. Edit said the OP. end edit

Working in Spar etc is not the type of Visa we hand out which allows one to progress on to AGS.

Or Spar

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hang on.

To be fair they don't have to be doctors they can work working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, or come on holidays. But should not get in to call centres, farm jobs, AGS.

Or Spar

And the spouses of people working in hospitals can just f*ck off and die of boredom, intead of stealing all the Polish people's jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bigpink wrote: »
    Look at Limerick it’s a joke all the Non eu people here at present

Limerick is not a joke. Explain?

• Advertisement

Hang on.

To be fair they don't have to be doctors they can work working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, or come on holidays. But should not get in to call centres, farm jobs, AGS.

Or Spar

perhaps try to reply to the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Grayson wrote: »
    I still don't know what the problem is. He was caught, the system works. Why are people complaining? Do they expect every garda to go through some kind of CIA level background checks? And if so do they expect every state employee to do the same?

The simple fact is that the guy was caught, the system did work.

The only part of "The System" which worked was the Garda Operation Vantage,which was totally unconnected with the Garda Recruitment Process.

If,as you suggest,the Grada Recruitment "System" had worked,then Mr Iqbal would not have entered the Training College at all.

In order for him to get through the gates in Templemore,he had to comprehensively decieve TWO seperate State Agencies,the Irish Naturalization & Immigration Service AND the Public Appointments Service,something Mr Iqbal not only succeeded in doing,but also maintained that deception for Three Years.

This,to some,may indicate a functioning vetting system,but to many interested observers,it points to significant weaknesses in the process,

Also of interest,it appears from today's accounts,that Mr Iqbal did not voluntarily resign at all.....

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2488166/garda-recruit-forced-to-resign-after-he-paid-e15000-to-marry-lesbian-from-eastern-europe-so-he-could-stay-in-ireland/
    The garda trainee was forced to resign from his position in Templemore.

The man has been told to leave the country voluntarily or face deportation.

A criminal investigation into the fraud marriages is now underway and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

It is of some interest that Mr Iqbal has been offered the facility to leave Ireland voluntarily,a somewhat questionable decision,given the evidence thus far made public about,what could well be serious criminal charges surrounding deception,and availing of an Illegal sham Marriage.

The desire to see this Gentleman (and perhaps the other THREE people directly involved) rapidly leave the State,appears a tad ill-considered,particularly given his 5 Months of access to The Garda College (a facility NOT generally available to legitimate Irish Citizens).

It may well be that pc7's post is relevant here...
    Are AGS applying positive discrimination in the selection process for trainee guards? Eg, 10% must be from minorities? Could be how he got so far in the process.

One element is certain,It was the Gardai themselves,not the other responsible agencies,who investigated and identified Mr Iqbal and his associates.

Well done to the GNIB,a section of AGS often targetted,and subjected to unwarranted ire in this State.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Instead of keeping his head down in a job where he was more likely to get away with it he risked joining the guards. This should set alarm bells ringing. Was there some reason he wanted to be a guard so badly? If the guards just ask him nicely to leave the country and do nothing further it's all a cod. The very, very least they should be doing is contacting the authorities in other European countries.

perhaps try to reply to the post you quoted.

Apologies bad use of English let me rephrase myself.

To be fair the bangladeshis don't have to be doctors they can work working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, and IT or come on holidays and not be dodgy.
    But should not get in to call centres, farm jobs, AGS, or Spar as the bangladeshis who work in these occupations are by default classified as dodgy by the OP

Edit: please read posr 124 and 134 for context end edit

To be fair the bangladeshis don't have to be doctors they can work working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, and IT or come on holidays and not be dodgy.
    But should not get in to call centres, farm jobs, AGS, or Spar as the bangladeshis who work in these occupations are by default classified as dodgy by the OP

and you dont see the issue in describing these people as dodgy?

• Advertisement

And the spouses of people working in hospitals can just f*ck off and die of boredom, intead of stealing all the Polish people's jobs?

Non-bangladeshis can steal away but bangladeshis can only steal Polish people's jobs if they are classed as white collar jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Cases like this make me an advocate for retention of the Irish Language as a requirement for joining the Gardai. There is certain jobs and professions which should be off limit to non-nationals for interests of National Security and Culture Preservation.

and you dont see the issue in describing these people as dodgy?

The irony did not work that time either.

Look the OP is trying to make a valid point about the personal circumstance of an individual may have exposed a flaw in the vetting system of the Gardai recruitment process.

But shooting themselves in the foot with most of the posts.

Unless they are following the trainees around how exactly should they have discovered the issue with the marraige. I suppose they could add a question on the form to cover how the applicant can prove marital relations exist.

If it is added I suggest we start a campaign for the replies to be classified and reported to the CSO on an annual basis.

The irony did not work that time either.

Look the OP is trying to make a valid point about the personal circumstance of an individual may have exposed a flaw in the vetting system of the Gardai recruitment process.

But shooting themselves in the foot with most of the posts.

Unless they are following the trainees around how exactly should they have discovered the issue with the marraige. I suppose they could add a question on the form to cover how the applicant can prove marital relations exist.

If it is added I suggest we start a campaign for the replies to be classified and reported to the CSO on an annual basis.

well i'm glad we can agree on that at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

His spouse was Lithuanian and didn’t live in Ireland.

well i'm glad we can agree on that at least.

But will you join the campaign, I won't ask you for a passport if your real life name is John.

But will you join the campaign, I won't ask you for a passport if your real life name is John.

nope. no idea what you are saying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doltanian wrote: »
    Cases like this make me an advocate for retention of the Irish Language as a requirement for joining the Gardai. There is certain jobs and professions which should be off limit to non-nationals for interests of National Security and Culture Preservation.

Please define a non-national.

Cases like this make me an advocate for retention of the Irish Language as a requirement for joining the Gardai.
    Most will have learned English as a language. Within a couple of months of language lessons most non-national applicants would have better language skill than a chunk of the post leaving cert population.
    There is certain jobs and professions which should be off limit to non-nationals for interests of National Security and Culture Preservation.

We are currently paying a lot of money to find out what "Culture Preservation" actually may mean to certain professionals.

nope. no idea what you are saying here.
    Post 17, John.:D

The campaign :

Once the Gardai add a question on the form to cover how the applicant can prove marital relations exist, we campaign for the replies to be classified and reported to the CSO on an annual basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

John_D80 wrote: »
    As soon as his application was processed there should have been serious red flags.

Not to mention he would have had to give details of his spouse and spouses family as part of the vetting process, which is supposedly very strict for trainee guards.

In short, he should never have gotten as far as even starting training.

One of the problems is that there is a hands off approach (even in position of importance such as arms of the state that uphold law) for fear of being accused of being something.

It really doesn't. the issue is with the OPs claim that all bangladeshis that are not doctors or working in IT are dodgy.

They were typical examples.
    The point I was trying to make was that the overwhelming majority of legitimate Bangladeshis here are far too skilled to be applying for trainee positions in AGS.
    Equally, men of other certain nationalities, here legitimately are equally far too skilled to be applying for a Garda training job.
    Therefore, where AGS receive an application from one of said criteria of people, they should have a robust system that immediately scrutinises that application.

Clearly this isn't happening, for some unknown reasons. We know it isn't happening because a guy with no business here, essentially a criminal, made it all the way to training.

I will try to highlight the point another way.
    If an Irish guy (John Murphy) who had a history of flying into Amsterdam, Dubai and Malaga airports every few weeks, was attempting to get into AGS, would you think AGS would put extra scrutiny into his application upon receiving it? I would hope so, and I think they would. Any nefarious goings on would be rooted out long before the candidate got into training.
    But not so with a Bangladeshi, why?
    What other stuff is not screened, for unknown reasons? Because the knock on effects have an impact on all of us.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The only part of "The System" which worked was the Garda Operation Vantage,which was totally unconnected with the Garda Recruitment Process.

If,as you suggest,the Grada Recruitment "System" had worked,then Mr Iqbal would not have entered the Training College at all.

In order for him to get through the gates in Templemore,he had to comprehensively decieve TWO seperate State Agencies,the Irish Naturalization & Immigration Service AND the Public Appointments Service,something Mr Iqbal not only succeeded in doing,but also maintained that deception for Three Years.

This,to some,may indicate a functioning vetting system,but to many interested observers,it points to significant weaknesses in the process,

Also of interest,it appears from today's accounts,that Mr Iqbal did not voluntarily resign at all.....

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2488166/garda-recruit-forced-to-resign-after-he-paid-e15000-to-marry-lesbian-from-eastern-europe-so-he-could-stay-in-ireland/

It is of some interest that Mr Iqbal has been offered the facility to leave Ireland voluntarily,a somewhat questionable decision,given the evidence thus far made public about,what could well be serious criminal charges surrounding deception,and availing of an Illegal sham Marriage.

The desire to see this Gentleman (and perhaps the other THREE people directly involved) rapidly leave the State,appears a tad ill-considered,particularly given his 5 Months of access to The Garda College (a facility NOT generally available to legitimate Irish Citizens).

It may well be that pc7's post is relevant here...

One element is certain,It was the Gardai themselves,not the other responsible agencies,who investigated and identified Mr Iqbal and his associates.

Well done to the GNIB,a section of AGS often targetted,and subjected to unwarranted ire in this State.

Excellent post, thank you.
    I agree.

I highlighted the part in bold, can you imagine if he tried exactly this in USA, how they would treat him upon being caught?

I think a lot of these guys are in absolutely no doubt, there is a disproportionately low risk of consequences for such actions here in Ireland.
    I would not be surprised if he didn't bother leaving the country, why would he seriously. Clearly he dismisses our policies as it is. Why start following them now that he is being asked to leave, plus he is then down €15k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Please define a non-national.

We know it's not liked by all but it is used in various contexts

Rather than go through multiple pages on that specific discussion - I'll just leave this here

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057806190/1

Yes, that is a good summary of my point.
    I think a Bangladeshi man working in general retail, call centre, general assembly in factories, farm labour, truck driver (and plenty of others similar jobs) should be scrutinised robustly.

None of those positions suffer from labour or skills shortages.
    Therefore, if we have some chap from south east Asia, here entering that job, then that should be examined robustly.

Jaysus, nevermind trying to get into our policing service.

If they are married to Úna the teacher from Kenmare or Zahira the Doctor from Dhaka but working in St Vincents, then great, good for them, carry on and if you need help with anything further, let us know.

If they are married to Lima from Vilnius or are missing a few parts of their student visa, then they should be hauled in, scrutinised closely and the investigating party commended for their efforts.

Teaching pretty much meets your criteria.
    Irish leaving cert is needed.

D Trent wrote: »
    Didn't take long to find the chap on boards ��
    <snip>

:pac:

You know, I would love if boards would ask him would he be willing to do the ASK ME ANYTHING thread before he leaves Ireland (tee hee).
    I have never taken part but would love to ask him a few questions.
    I bet it would be fascinating to actually engage with him on the subject on what does he actually think of our immigration and security procedures?
    What do the lads he keeps as friends think of it? What do the lads back in Bangladesh think of it?

By the looks of the thread he was posting in, he got lots of useful and helpful, information.
    I would love to see him offer some back to all of us about what lads really think in the real world so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

D Trent wrote: »
    Didn't take long to find the chap on boards ��
    <snip>

How many more of these scam artists do we have on boards?

I'd imagine a fair amount, based on some of the incredulous posts on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

:pac:
    By the looks of the thread he was posting in, he got lots of useful and helpful, information.

Well, one of the threads he created last year was how to get to Templemore by public transportation?
    One of the funny responses was "I sincerely hope your not pursuing a career as a detective."

In fairness though, what kind of aptitude tests are the Gardai using for entrance to the force. If this fine gentleman could satisfy the requirements to get into the Garda College then someone should look at the process. There is a sense that there was a breakdown in the acceptance criteria.

Unless of course, he received special dispensation due to the colour of his skin or possibly his religion.

You would also have to wonder how many more unqualified Gardai are now on the streets due to a possible quota for foreign applicants?

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Well, one of the threads he created last year was how to get to Templemore by public transportation?
    One of the funny responses was "I sincerely hope your not pursuing a career as a detective."

In fairness though, what kind of aptitude tests are the Gardai using for entrance to the force. If this fine gentleman could satisfy the requirements to get into the Garda College then someone should look at the process. There is a sense that there was a breakdown in the acceptance criteria.

Unless of course, he received special dispensation due to the colour of his skin or possibly his religion.

You would also have to wonder how many more unqualified Gardai are now on the streets due to a possible quota for foreign applicants?

surely you would have to establish there is a quota before spending time wondering about it?

Advertisement