Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangladeshi Trainee Garda and His Sham Marriage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    FFS like. Do you want to be a bit more specific you racist mongoloid?

That has to be a contradiction in terms surely? Never mind Bangladeshi peeps, what the hell is wrong with Mongolians?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheManTheMyth

The guy is Bangladeshi, he was married to an Eastern European woman, that should have set alarm bells ringing. It's worrying that this guy was able to get so far into the Garda training programme. Clearly there is a much bigger problem with illegal migrants than we are aware of. We need a system in place that notifies authorities when someone who has entered the country with a visa overstays. Then those people should be tracked down as quickly as possible and deported immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bigpink wrote: »
    Look at Limerick it’s a joke all the Non eu people here at present
    Who else would want to work in stab city?
    He should have been subject to robust scrutiny immediately once a Bangladeshi passport was handed in for a Garda job.
    If he was here under a sham marriage, surely he'd have had an Irish one when joining the Gardai?

Anyone from Finglas North Dublin should also be subject to robust scrutiny.
    Read my posts Sam, Bangladeshi or other such nationals have no business here unless they are on holidays, working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, big tech firms or the like.
    Northsiders shouldn't leave Dublin unless they are on holidays, working in Hospitals, Pharmacies, big tech firms or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The guy is Bangladeshi, he was married to an Eastern European woman, that should have set alarm bells ringing. It's worrying that this guy was able to get so far into the Garda training programme. Clearly there is a much bigger problem with illegal migrants than we are aware of. We need a system in place that notifies authorities when someone who has entered the country with a visa overstays. Then those people should be tracked down as quickly as possible and deported immediately.

Exactly, there is something wrong with our policies when clear red flags are not picked up immediately.
    How brazen can you get - than to know you're here illegally and to still attempt to join one of the arms of the state tasked with upholding law?
    Or another way to look at it is, chancers think so little of our policies that they are willing to blatantly disregard them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Also shocking that he “resigned”!! His feet shouldn’t have touched the ground between wherever he was when found out and Dublin Airport!!!!

• Advertisement

That's amazing.. I never really considered that non-Irish could be allowed into the guards. I thought things like that would be deemed to be like a national security thing.

What jobs are only given to Irish people? I assume judges would be a key one, surely?

Can I go to America and be a cop, and fire guns and stuff? Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

That's amazing.. I never really considered that non-Irish could be allowed into the guards. I thought things like that would be deemed to be like a national security thing.

What jobs are only given to Irish people? I assume judges would be a key one, surely?

Can I go to America and be a cop, and fire guns and stuff? Genuine question.

https://m.facebook.com/IrelandSaysNo.DSN/photos/a.850657604960748.1073741827.850647988295043/1504350302924805/?type=3

D Trent wrote: »

Interesting.. What about like TDs? I always just assumed these were protected jobs in every country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Interesting.. What about like TDs? I always just assumed these were protected jobs in every country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Zappone

D Trent wrote: »

So that woman is an Irish citizen, and I assume the judge is.

In the OP's article, it said the Bangladeshi guy had EU residency rights here. Assuming that doesn't mean Irish citizenship, I don't think he should be allowed in the guards at all.

My brother has an Australian passport after many years there, whereas a couple of friends have some form of long-term residency. I would expect that my brother would be allowed to be an Australian policeman, but not my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

brianblaze wrote: »
    This is a very thinly veiled 'feckin foreigners' thread
    Cuck detected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

amcalester wrote: »
    Exactly, I really don’t see what the issue is.

The system works, it might be slow but it works.

If it’s that slow, that he can make it through the whole recruitment process, then no, it doesn’t work.

From application to enlistment in the AGS takes about 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

John_D80 wrote: »
    If it’s that slow, that he can make it through the whole recruitment process, then no, it doesn’t work.

From application to enlistment in the AGS takes about 12 months.

How long does a proper investigation take?

Surely during the period he was being investigated he would have been allowed continue with his training up until the point that it was known he was a fraudster.

To do otherwise would be unfair.

This might be silly question but does enlistment happen before or after training?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

AlekSmart wrote: »
    To be fair,the OP has not rambled at all,direct and to the point I would say,the only rambling has been from a couple of posters eager to diversify,and embrace other stuff....from wherever it comes.

In the meantime,we know little of the Banglagarda's friend,who married the other Lesbian Lithuanian....or is it Lithunian Lesbian ??

But,with Brexit in mind,I'm sure the PSNI might be worth a punt ?

Yup only came across the detail about the 'wife' being a lesbian. You couldn't make it the whole tbing up - the publishers would reject the story on sight if it was a novel!
    Trainee garda facing deportation after his €15,000 sham marriage to lesbian exposed

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/trainee-garda-facing-deportation-after-his-15000-sham-marriage-to-lesbian-exposed-36842183.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If it's any consolation, OP, the RTÉ Radio 1 security guy Reynolds was saying @6pm that the reason AGS want to recruit more foreigners is because a whopping 22% of the population of Ireland between the ages of 18 (20?) and 40 was born outside Ireland. If true, as stastics go that's a well-kept secret.

This would seem odd if you live in rural Ireland, as I do myself. But walking the paths of any of our major cities these days would confirm it for you soon enough.

Depends too on the day you happen to be wandering around. Some days in central Dublin with the additional layer of summer tourists you can observe the throng on certain streets and play 'Where's Paddy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sand wrote: »
    I'm bemused that people are repeatedly asking what the problem is. It's as if they haven't seen the repeated posts explaining what the problem is.

In fairness to this fellah, he must have nerves of steel. He knows he is in Ireland illegally with a sham marriage and he decides to push his luck by joining the Guards. Not smart, but its something.

I still don't know what the problem is. He was caught, the system works. Why are people complaining? Do they expect every garda to go through some kind of CIA level background checks? And if so do they expect every state employee to do the same?

The simple fact is that the guy was caught, the system did work.

Do you not need to be a fluent Irish speaker anymore,to get into the guards?

amcalester wrote: »
    How long does a proper investigation take?

Surely during the period he was being investigated he would have been allowed continue with his training up until the point that it was known he was a fraudster.

To do otherwise would be unfair.

This might be silly question but does enlistment happen before or after training?

As soon as his application was processed there should have been serious red flags.

Not to mention he would have had to give details of his spouse and spouses family as part of the vetting process, which is supposedly very strict for trainee guards.

In short, he should never have gotten as far as even starting training.

Grayson wrote: »
    I still don't know what the problem is. He was caught, the system works. Why are people complaining? Do they expect every garda to go through some kind of CIA level background checks? And if so do they expect every state employee to do the same?

The simple fact is that the guy was caught, the system did work.

In actuality if the system really worked it would never have gotten this far.

Trainee Garda vetting was always notoriously strict. Included full background checks of family members out to cousins and beyond and the same for applicants spouses in the case where an applicant is married.

Even a quick check on his wife should have set off alarms. Someone dropped the ball here big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

pjohnson wrote: »
    So Bangladeshi's should never be allowed become Garda is the point of the thread?

Maybe only citizens of Ireland should be allowed to join AGS?

• Advertisement

Hundreds of Asian men are bogus asylum-seekers, entering into sham marriage to eastern European women in Ireland.

The Garda operation to investigate this is known as Operation Vantage.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Garda%20Operation%20Vantage%20targeting%20sham%20marriages%20and%20illegal%20immigration

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fall-in-number-of-sham-marriages-463709.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/how-irish-sham-marriage-scam-was-dismantled-1.2949970

The numbers of sham marriages has fallen as a result, but of course many have not been prevented, like this case.

The people protesting against direct provision seem to want asylum-seekers to be allowed to stay in Ireland, but given that most of them are bogus, like these hundreds of Asian men, I don't understand it, surely you'd want these bogus AS to be deported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Some of these comments are bizarre. It's incredible the number of people that are more concerned with not appearing racist than they are with criminals being given positions of authority.

This morning there's another thread about someone that could potentially have killed a bunch of people but apparently the most shocking thing is that a news article dared to describe the perpetrator.

This attitude of wanting to leave facts out of news articles as well as thinking it's 'racist' to not want to give foreign criminals positions of power is troubling and downright fucking weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Do you not need to be a fluent Irish speaker anymore,to get into the guards?

you never needed to be a fluent irish speaker, you just needed a certain grade in irish in the LC

now you need competency in 2 languages

Some of these comments are bizarre. It's incredible the number of people that are more concerned with not appearing racist than they are with criminals being given positions of authority.

Did anyone say that? People are saying he was caught, well done.

Geuze wrote: »
    The people protesting against direct provision seem to want asylum-seekers to be allowed to stay in Ireland, but given that most of them are bogus, like these hundreds of Asian men, I don't understand it, surely you'd want these bogus AS to be deported?

And has anyone here said they want bogus asylum seekers to stay? Seriously, has anyone actually said that.

There seems to be a trend where people are putting words into people mouths. No-one said the guy should be a guard. No-one said that bogus asylum seekers should be allowed to stay.

people are saying "he was caught. He's no longer in garda training. well done, the law has been implemented"

Did anyone say that? People are saying he was caught, well done.

You are saying that but a quick read over the thread supports the point being made by the poster you quoted.

And has anyone here said they want bogus asylum seekers to stay? Seriously, has anyone actually said that.

I wasn't referring to this case.

What I meant was that there are often protests against Direct Provision.

And it seems to me that the protestors want the AS to be allowed stay in Ireland.

What I am saying is that most AS are bogus, and should be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Geuze wrote: »

What I meant was that there are often protests against Direct Provision.

that doesn't mean that they want them to stay though

the system should be quicker and people either allowed stay or be deported rather than be in DP for years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are AGS applying positive discrimination in the selection process for trainee guards? Eg, 10% must be from minorities? Could be how he got so far in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

John_D80 wrote: »
    You are saying that but a quick read over the thread supports the point being made by the poster you quoted.

It really doesn't. the issue is with the OPs claim that all bangladeshis that are not doctors or working in IT are dodgy.

Advertisement