Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I stopped going to matches in Aviva?

• 22-04-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I used to love going to see the big games but unfortunately, there is just too much get up and sit down to let people thru who are on their way to get pints or else off to the jacks.

If five people in your row get up to buy themselves (or a round) twice per half since you have to get up and sit down to let them out and then back in, it means for the five of them twice per half that's 20 get up and sit-downs in the match.
    It is head wrecking especially since most of them don't even wait for the ball to go dead.

I emailed the IRFU and asked them to at least consider a non - drinking section, they would never to do this, because then they are admitting they are lots of people drinking lots of beer at their games and all those pints means lots and lots of money.

It's a frigging joke. Never happens at GAA or Soccer matches. Just matches in the Rugby matches in the Aviva

For me, it's too much. I love my rugby first. Now, instead, I go to AIL games, U20 matches and generally a step down where you don't get the binge drinkers. The worst I came across was paying 180 euro for All Blacks tickets for me and my son and some idiots nudging you to get up during the Haka so they could get their pints.

Suggest anyone who feels the same speak up and get onto the IRFU about this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Sit in the middle of the row

Solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hate people getting up for pints during the match. But not to the point of boycotting games.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Depends on the crowd and luck to be honest.

I was about 10 seats from the steps in Saturday in 523 and never had to move in either half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The PA announcer is why I stopped going along with the arrogance of some leinster fans. I wish the team well in the final but i don't have a lot of gra for the fans I've encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can you not turn sideways in your seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Hate people getting up for pints during the match. But not to the point of boycotting games.

I went to the Champions Cup final last year. Didn't have to move once.

Leinster and Irish fans in the Aviva is about as bad as it gets.

• It doesn't annoy me in the slightest nor interrupt my enjoyment of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Meh, all the easier for those of us who enjoy a beer or several watching a game and not have to do so under the glare of someone purposely out looking to get annoyed at the slightest transgression on how they feel other strangers should behave in public.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    The PA announcer is why I stopped going along with the arrogance of some leinster fans. I wish the team well in the final but i don't have a lot of gra for the fans I've encountered

You'll get on well with the guy in the Munster thread looking for a French win in three weeks because he doesn't like Leinster fans, if that's not you already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I’ve had more arguments with the folk behind me for standing up to let folk out than I’ve had with with the folk going out.

If you’re getting to argue with someone then argue with them not me, ye clowns.

Biggest row of all was some fud in Edinburgh who asked me to “not stand up unless a try was scored”.
    I would have been standing with Everyone else as breaks for the line were happening. He was told to go off home for an unspoilt view.

Virtanen wrote: »
    Sit in the middle of the row

Solved

I thought if you went for more expensive seats it would help with the problem - but it was just as bad if not worse.
    Can you not turn sideways in your seat?
    No, I have lanky legs. Also, it's still an interruption. I love every single thing about Rugby, I hate the interruption. I think you have the pre-match and half-time to get up. After that I think it's very rude and annoying. Unless it's someone with a young kid there is no excuse for it.

Never happen at a GAA or a Soccer match and I'd imagine if you did in some places, CA, Thomond Park, people would tell you where to go?

I have had arguments with people over it - hence why I stopped going.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Meh, all the easier for those of us who enjoy a beer or several watching a game and not have to do so under the glare of someone purposely out looking to get annoyed at the slightest transgression on how they feel other strangers should behave in public.
    Do you wait until the ball is dead or do you walk across people when an attack is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Was at the game Saturday. Didn't have to get up once. Have had some experiences similar to yours but it wouldn't stop me from going

Do you wait until the ball is dead or do you walk across people when an attack is on?

Break in play, but people still want you glued to your seat and only allowed up at half time or at the end of the game.

Should I feel aggrieved like you when fans infront of me stand when they get over excited with every bit of action forcing me to stand when I don't want to in order to see the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Ban the sale of alcohol at the stadium is the only solution.

I'm sure the players would love to play in a half empty stadium

I thought if you went for more expensive seats it would help with the problem - but it was just as bad if not worse.

Not what I suggested. Sit in the middle of the row of seats. Nobody to pass by because they have quicker routes to the bar

Or maybe stop getting so worked up about it. Honestly, it sounds like you're being more of a problem than they are, by taking such massive offence to such a minor inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If the ball is live then yeah that's pretty annoying.

But if ball is dead, I wouldn't have much sympathy.

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Isn't alcohol banned for football matches?

Break in play, but people still want you glued to your seat and only allowed up at half time or at the end of the game.
    Half time / full time is the way it should be. You could still have your pints and wouldn't annoy anyone.

If you have more than two drinks per match, a break in play is a good compromise. Ref will usually do time off twice per half.

But if you can't wait for that, the ball usually goes out of play or is knocked on, or there is a penalty -> every 2 mins. So if you have to say 5 pints per match that could work and you wouldn't distract that much.
    Should I feel aggrieved like you when fans infront of me stand when they get over excited with every bit of action forcing me to stand when I don't want to in order to see the game?
    I think that happens in every sport so I would let that go. might be annoying if you have a kid with you and they can't see anything.

The binge drinking, have no interest in the actual game - is a uniquely Irish and Leinster Aviva thing.

Not what I suggested. Sit in the middle of the row of seats. Nobody to pass by because they have quicker routes to the bar

Or maybe stop getting so worked up about it. Honestly, it sounds like you're being more of a problem than they are, by taking such massive offence to such a minor inconvenience
    Hold on - not sure how much you like Rugby but I love it. Every pass, tackle, ruck, lineout, field, you name it... It's class. I want to see it. If you loved going to the cinema and had to get up 20 times per movie to let the drinkes passed would you not get annoyed?

Isn't alcohol banned for football matches?

That's what I thought, not allowed bring it to your seats hence it not an issue.

Been a while since I was at a GAA game in Croke Park but don't think you were allowed then either, but that was about 18 years ago.

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    If the ball is live then yeah that's pretty annoying.

But if ball is dead, I wouldn't have much sympathy.

My experience 90% of them will not wait until the ball is dead. Have way more interest in pints than the match.

The binge drinking, have no interest in the actual game - is a uniquely Irish and Leinster Aviva thing.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and I guess you've never been to Cardiff?

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Well this says it all. People only going for the binge drinking...
    I think you'd get more real fans.

In the old Landstown Road you had a beer tent outside and then had a few before match and then came in to watch it. The 2006 semi final with our Munster cousins had a super atmosphere -

In the Aviva, there is a keg with 15 seconds of every seat.

Hold on - not sure how much you like Rugby but I love it. Every pass, tackle, ruck, lineout, field, you name it... It's class. I want to see it. If you loved going to the cinema and had to get up 20 times per movie to let the drinkes passed would you not get annoyed?

Do my first suggestion then

I don't care about any sport enough to moan about missing a few seconds of it, but you do you

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and I guess you've never been to Cardiff?

Been to Cardiff alright. Just not as bad.

Leinster just has this thing about it, there are a pile of fans in it for the booze. Same as Jack Charlton era (showing my age).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You must be the unluckiest man in the entire stadium. I don't think I've ever had to get up more than 3 or 4 times in a half of rugby to let people out. I imagine you must be forced to get up at least 10 times to prompt such a reaction.

I didn't get up once yesterday and was only about 6 seats from the end of the row.

Do my first suggestion then

I don't care about any sport enough to moan about missing a few seconds of it, but you do you

Do you care about anything that you want to see it all?

Been to Cardiff alright. Just not as bad.

Leinster just has this thing about it, there are a pile of fans in it for the booze. Same as Jack Charlton era (showing my age).

Oh, it's just a Leinster thing now is it? And quite a few of us know the Charlton era, and also stood in the pissy smelling terraces and stands at Lansdowne Road for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Well this says it all. People only going for the binge drinking...
    I think you'd get more real fans.

In the old Landstown Road you had a beer tent outside and then had a few before match and then came in to watch it. The 2006 semi final with our Munster cousins had a super atmosphere -

In the Aviva, there is a keg with 15 seconds of every seat.

On a bit of a high horse arn't we?

I'm sure real fans like yourself add greatly to the atmosphere, you yourself are comparing the game to being at the cinema. Sit still and mute, what an occasion 55k punters like that would be :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh, it's just a Leinster thing now is it? And quite a few of us know the Charlton era, and also stood in the pissy smelling terraces and stands at Lansdowne Road for rugby.

Leinster in the Aviva and Ireland in the Aviva are the worst I have experienced.
    I blame the stadium more than the fans - it encourages more of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement