Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I stopped going to matches in Aviva?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

"Real fan" is playing the man instead of the argument. It's not a great argument because someone could easily just say to me hey you're not a real fan? It can just be patronising.

I used the term in haste - as in when you are posting sometimes that happens.

I don't have a problem with casual fans, fake fans or real fans going to a match. It's a free country. Just think we could all accommodate each other, the IRFU, supporter clubs etc could help this issue to be resolved by some better communication.

They could advice people in match programs, over the PA when to get their pints and also the stewards could stop letting people come back into the stadium and make them wait until the ball goes dead.

I really believe a little bit of education and a bit more speaking up from the silent majority is all that is needed.
    I dont see at all how this is anywhere near a silent majority thinking that changes are needed.
    I dont see stadium management getting stewards to enforce a change in policy unless there is issues that arise that see a need for change and people getting blocked for a few seconds as people go in and out of a row for a drink/go to the toilet isnt a need for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

This is where it gets really annoying. Like a person gets up while a team are picking and driving in their opposition 22 - they obviously have very little interest in the game. There's at least 15 times in each half you could pop out and not annoy people at all between the amount of times the ball goes dead, the stoppages for injury, just after kicks at goal. Loads of times.

I've been to the Aviva many times, I don't mind punters going in & out generally but in all honesty it can get to you if it's constant. Some years ago I was at a Celtics basketball match in Boston, nobody going in & out like the Aviva but the crowd around us were on their phones non stop, not watching the game , seconds later they'd be cheering wildly. Last year's US tennis open final, we were up in the nosebleeds, couple in front constantly taking selfies and posting them on social media. That was much more of a distraction than anything I've gone through in the Aviva. I guess it's luck of the draw as to where you're sitting, who's beside you, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I really believe a little bit of education and a bit more speaking up from the silent majority is all that is needed.

There's laws against DUI and on planes repeated announcements are made not to stand up till the seat belt light is out after landing. Yet everyday loads of people are convicted for DUI and I guarantee that people will be standing up while the aircraft is still taxiing. So if people don't care about their own safety or that of other people I don't think that you will get people not moving when there is live entertainment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

it doesnt mean a person has little interest in the game if they leave at a moment like that. You dont know why theyre leaving their seat. It isnt always for a drink....
    There are lots of people who do it who have more than a modest interest in the game and you cant tell people to pick and choose when to go for a drink.
    So do you want IRFU to ban drinking at seats then? That will still see people leaving their seats and coming back in. What do you want Aviva stadium management to do about it?

From my experience going to Croke Park, the numbers of people going in/out go down drastically when drink cannot be brought out to the stands. People tend to be in their seats earlier too. The Aviva is plagued with people arriving during anthems for internationals or missing kickoff.

Tbh it's rare enough in the Aviva when people going/in out is a material annoyance. However it's very annoying when it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Plenty of matches have been delayed in Croke Park, and I'm sure they weren't all because of the Dubs, because of issues with getting people to their seats. Don't recall it ever happening in the Aviva.

• Advertisement

From my experience going to Croke Park, the numbers of people going in/out go down drastically when drink cannot be brought out to the stands. People tend to be in their seats earlier too. The Aviva is plagued with people arriving during anthems for internationals or missing kickoff.

Tbh it's rare enough in the Aviva when people going/in out is a material annoyance. However it's very annoying when it does happen.
    Games in Croke Park have been delayed due to people coming in late to games from nearby pubs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Read some of the English football clubs are looking to bring terraces back. Would love to see them return to Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hurrache wrote: »
    Plenty of matches have been delayed in Croke Park, and I'm sure they weren't all because of the Dubs, because of issues with getting people to their seats. Don't recall it ever happening in the Aviva.
    Games in Croke Park have been delayed due to people coming in late to games from nearby pubs

I stand corrected. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I dont see stadium management getting stewards to enforce a change in policy unless there is issues that arise that see a need for change and people getting blocked for a few seconds as people go in and out of a row for a drink/go to the toilet isnt a need for change.

I don't think anyone is calling for changes or enforcement from stadium management, just pointing out an etiquette of common courtesy that you get at the less popular matches which is lacking in Landsdowne.

Its understandable as there a lot of 'extras' over and above the RDS's 18k capacity or Thomond's / Sportsground's capacity or wherever who don't regularly attend matches that don't understand the frustration they are causing by nudging past you as a conversion is taking place with their 4 kids in tow with their dripping hot dogs and chips. Or - even worse - the lost souls blankly looking at tickets, not even knowing where they are supposed to be just as a line break happens and there are 5 of them standing in the aisle beside you blocking everything..

Ah, ffs, maybe we should just move this to the Ranting and Raving forum :D

dregin wrote: »
    Read some of the English football clubs are looking to bring terraces back. Would love to see them return to Lansdowne.
    That wont happen. Are english football clubs not looking at safe standing areas and not terraces. Slight difference...
    Steve wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is calling for changes or enforcement from stadium management, just pointing out an etiquette of common courtesy that you get at the less popular matches which is lacking in Landsdowne.

Its understandable as there a lot of 'extras' over and above the RDS's 18k capacity or Thomond's / Sportsground's capacity or wherever who don't regularly attend matches that don't understand the frustration they are causing by nudging past you as a conversion is taking place with their 4 kids in tow with their dripping hot dogs and chips. Or - even worse - the lost souls blankly looking at tickets, not even knowing where they are supposed to be just as a line break happens and there are 5 of them standing in the aisle beside you blocking everything..

Ah, ffs, maybe we should just move this to the Ranting and Raving forum :D
    There is people ranting and looking for changes... and it is far from just those who dont regularly attend games that are going in/out from bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

I do believe they have standing areas in German Soccer grounds. IMHO the all seater stadiums have sucked the life out of the atmosphere. But cash is King. You can charge the punters more for a seat. Doesn't matter if the view is crap. Cram them seats in and count the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

But if you leave in a break of play then what about coming back in? Do you have to wait for another break of play to come back in? That causes as much disruption. You either have to have it stadium policy to have no drinks in the seating area or just leave it as it is and i dont see IRFU/Aviva Stadium or Compass changing their systems.

I feel like I answered that question in the post you quoted......

As Steve said, this isn't about stadium policy. There's no reason people can't get their pints and show others a bit of common decency at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue with me about. If you want to get up during a game you should make an effort to ensure that you are minimising the disruption to other people, because that's the decent thing to do. End of. What exactly is wrong with that idea? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I love rugby and I love beer. Combining the two is a perfect day for me. I don't really enjoy watching matches in a stadium. I prefer watching them on tv as I can see the action better. I'd rather go to a pub than a stadium.

If I do go to a match it is a social occasion for me. I will try to get an aisle seat to make it easier if I want a beer or a puss. I think having sellers walking the aisles or taking orders via a phone ap might help but then again there would be people complaining about having to pass beers to their neighbours.

One of the problems is the Irish obsession with buying rounds. I would get to my seat with enough beer to last me well into the second half and my mates would be "thanks I'll get the next round". At first I tried to say get your own but then you start to look stingey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

I can't believe there has been 9 pages of this...

Why not "agree to disagree" and close the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

scott1974 wrote: »
    I can't believe there has been 9 pages of this...

Why not "agree to disagree" and close the thread...

How about we disagree to agree and keep going?

Why?

Seems kinda pointless.. Nothing is going change.

Why?

Seems kinda pointless.. Nothing is going change.

I disagree, I think there's a bit point to it

I disagree, I think there's a bit point to it

What I mean is who on this forum may have any power to do anything.

BTW, I was there with my dad and there was a group of women behind us who talked throughout the whole match about anything but the match..

Ah I was just winding you up by stretching the argument out as much as possible! Apologies! :pac:
    BTW, I was there with my dad and there was a group of women behind us who talked throughout the whole match about anything but the match..

So... I bought tickets for myself and the lads, then on the morning of the match one of our employers gave us tickets as well... so we might have invited the girlfriends and god knows what they would have been talking about... So it's possible i have to apologise to you on two fronts here.

Ah I was just winding you up by stretching the argument out as much as possible! Apologies! :pac:

So... I bought tickets for myself and the lads, then on the morning of the match one of our employers gave us tickets as well... so we might have invited the girlfriends and god knows what they would have been talking about... So it's possible i have to apologise to you on two fronts here.

Ha... sounds like it was you alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Its usually thirty something males that I find chat throughout the entire match, 90% not about the match - including talking over the 'shhhh' for the kickers - in the Aviva and in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I was hoping there was a few people who might feel the same way and maybe a few influential people in supporters clubs could take it board and actually do something. I would say if we reminded people about the core values of rugby: respect. Respect the kickers, respect the people around you etc. and to consider educating the stewards a bit more to not allow people back until the ball has gone dead. I have been at gigs where you are not allowed out for pints in the middle of a song only between the gaps.

I think the payback here is that going to a Rugby match could end up being an unbelievable experience. Rather than a frustrating one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I thought if you went for more expensive seats it would help with the problem - but it was just as bad if not worse.

No, I have lanky legs. Also, it's still an interruption. I love every single thing about Rugby, I hate the interruption. I think you have the pre-match and half-time to get up. After that I think it's very rude and annoying. Unless it's someone with a young kid there is no excuse for it.

Never happen at a GAA or a Soccer match and I'd imagine if you did in some places, CA, Thomond Park, people would tell you where to go?

I have had arguments with people over it - hence why I stopped going.

It does not happen at GAA or soccer because you can't bring beer out into the stand, what you do however get in response is completely inebriated fans before they even enter the ground, which can be just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,219 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It does not happen at GAA or soccer because you can't bring beer out into the stand, what you do however get in response is completely inebriated fans before they even enter the ground, which can be just as bad.
    Yeah. It just translates in to toilet trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wonder is the 1st op the guy that had a issue with me having to get up to go every so often as I have an extremely weak bladder.

I would have loved to have got and aisle seat.

Maybe aisle seats such be an option for the likes of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Virtanen wrote: »
    Sit in the middle of the row

Solved

There is your answer Tim, I do this myself and as a result it is never an issue.

Or even better, on Saturday I had the row at the corner of Havelock Square and East Stand with only 2 seats, one for me and one for my friend. Slightly elevated view, looking down on the seats in the East Stand. It was funny to see the entire East Stand looking at the screen while we could see the game fine. And all for 25 euro. Result!

It was great. Oh and we got 1 beer on the way in at the start of the match and that was that. Neither of us are die-hards, but neither of us are p1ss heads either.

So in summary Tim, if buying seats in the middle of the row is an issue, then it is you who is the problem!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This issue proved a big topic of debate in Wales during the 6N recently - lot of people complaining about drunk fans, people up and down to bars all game etc. Same issues as discussed here, with more drunkenness. WRU are trialling an alcohol-free zone in the stadium in the AIs in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

I was hoping there was a few people who might feel the same way and maybe a few influential people in supporters clubs could take it board and actually do something. I would say if we reminded people about the core values of rugby: respect. Respect the kickers, respect the people around you etc. and to consider educating the stewards a bit more to not allow people back until the ball has gone dead. I have been at gigs where you are not allowed out for pints in the middle of a song only between the gaps.

I think the payback here is that going to a Rugby match could end up being an unbelievable experience. Rather than a frustrating one.

Your core values of rugby.

Other people believe in different core values of rugby.
    Going to a rugby match might already be an unbelievable experience for them, getting up to get drinks during the game, talking about anything but rugby, etc.

No one makes it a frustrating experience for you- you choose to be frustrated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll be honest, if I go to the stadium to watch the game it is because I want to partake in the experience as part of an "event" and enjoy the atmosphere. It is not cause I want the best possible view of what is happening. I generally speaking don't get out of my seat during a match (though I certainly have done at times) however people going past me has genuinely never bothered me. They block my view for about one second - it can be mildly irritating for that one second but I fairly quickly get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

atticu wrote: »
    Your core values of rugby.

Other people believe in different core values of rugby.
    Going to a rugby match might already be an unbelievable experience for them, getting up to get drinks during the game, talking about anything but rugby, etc.

No one makes it a frustrating experience for you- you choose to be frustrated.

The person getting up and down can choose when they do so. They can choose to do it at a time that minimises the disruption on others. If they choose not to do that then they should accept the consequences. Not blame others for reacting to their own lack of consideration. The idea you're posting above is just a case of passing the buck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement