Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why I stopped going to matches in Aviva?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

is_that_so wrote: »
    And that was really not my point. It is a fact that it takes longer to restart the action in rugby.

Maybe we should downgrade our reffing system to what they have in soccer then... lets give VAR a try.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Is that you, Christy Moore?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,854 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TCM wrote: »
    I've sat through many 90 mins of soccer - far ahead of any 80 minutes of rugby dross.

i sat through 90 minutes of the gibraltar home game... won tickets so brought my 10 year old.

1/2 empty stadium, even with cheap as chips ticket prices....... nothing happening on the pitch to generate an atmosphere. The loudest noises were groans of exasperation.

give me a 3-0 mudfest of a forwards game any day over that boring sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I've sat through many 90 mins of soccer - far ahead of any 80 minutes of rugby dross.

If you say so

Does beg the question why you are on a rugby forum:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AShearer93

An alcohol free section may be a good idea. But they won't want to lose out on the beer sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

AShearer93 wrote: »
    An alcohol free section may be a good idea. But they won't want to lose out on the beer sales.

You’re still going to have people getting up to use the “toilets” or to get food.

I’ve been going to games there for well over 20 years at this stage and alcohol really isn’t an “issue” at the stadium.

I can only think of one time, during a Leinster European game, where the bar staff were incredibly inexperienced so the queues were a joke. Other than that, apart from the public urination and the odd stumbling drunk, I’ve, honestly, never seen anything that would require an “alcohol free” section

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Why do you need an alchol free zone? loads of people dont drink alcohol and go to games

If they have kids you could be buying food/toilets etc

Look people will moan for any reason, the whole stadium might not stand up for the game and someone would complain because it has no atmosphere.

If people feel so strongly about it, raffle off your ticket to charity, or find a local rugby mad kid who never gets to go and give ticket to them.I am sure they wont care if someone asks them to move an inch in seat once or twice a game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are thousands at each match who don't drink who might like to sit in an alcohol free section. It wouldn't affect beer sales in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was at a hockey game in the US and they blocked people from re-entering the arena during play. Of course American sports have so many breaks that it's not really a big deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was in the upper tier for the Wales game, second row from the top, I wasn't disturbed once by anyone who wanted to go back down all those steps for a drink or to go to the toilet. Perfect! ;)

BzYELAsr2v5aIKptc5ntCIIaInUdQRHIhy0BW9z5GQW7Z3GLy9P7784EuVxHL7ET78Sxn9Ip46KmPv2fyp6oaOfv0wLTfivi7R5HHqvithxkwaRlU1cgGFGtZpc92yuSh5IsDOifW7c1_bdJPHp0BUmW1WmG11886cSpnfZroOXGBeXBjDIm5oqxqRjVtKLGOmCUEgAwQBmySoqT0nq5w1xIcLR7vZ5moHWXbLbX4aunwkGoEcFLpgOHL78LKpK_szFzYWw805zjjP3SzucAwSedaNW6C6QISb4AUGe5GYPW22hey5Nb8Rb1gtTVtZkglu5H9_mdyYmYJY3vzizxZ-BlbrD9GhnQYF1MALAs73eoxNfB-sMGJ4R3ltj072tMlJKNHAGFAymxMsePZYiC_WAMgUioPQfpoVy3i1duj0qz0rWmJlQaa23qFh9dwbqNVUnCGs3LdZrNPE7-0Jsaq_UykVLYFwgikIRFJ4aJwkYIY64Zwu0thRkxPY2pkOuFJ0qMNBNmK6geW44D0pWIEEKpkwhqs0LFAnL_3XJKKmOcZBJ5gx_oQOthv6REM-8Ub0KlRTqgjy1GTWW9TzGdQeF0-eRCTMoDae3F7hNpanVR5M-QfdEoEnOe87kzNCq_LUN2aTcgLmyjzTyLDb6ewUSf8CwKHfL9v6H5lz3A5fq6HWpIf_U3jMXo=w1174-h880-no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was at a hockey game in the US and they blocked people from re-entering the arena during play. Of course American sports have so many breaks that it's not really a big deal...

Baseball it's obligatory to get pissed, it's unbearable otherwise at it goes on for ****ing hours with not much happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Will never work. It would cause mayhem. We have issues still with smoking and someone thought it would be a great idea to make almost everything cashless..

That is working out well! :rolleyes:

Cashless is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cashless is fantastic.

Not if you are a father that is taking his kids to the stadium for the first time. hands his 2 kids €15 each for the burger etc. Dad stays in the stand, kids wait in line, order and then cannot pay for it with out a card etc. Back to dad. Dad goes mental. Join the line again.

End result? Father and 2 kids miss most of the match. I have seen it happen to many, many people and it sucks! I work there and was unaware of it until I tried to buy a bottle of Fanta. Left cards at home. Only cash. Luckily one of my colleagues paid for me.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cashless is fantastic.

Last time was there, the fast order app database melted and the q's for it were nuts.

Tapping cards for beer is great, convenient etc, but if there is no plan B for when it all collapses then, well, it's just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I've been going to GAA matches all my life and rarely miss connacht games since I was in college (10 years ago now :( ). Didnt have much experience of the Aviva due to Simply not having the money over the years.

Was delighted to get tickets to the England game last year and can honestly say I was more annoyed by the people going in and out than I was by our s**** performance. If it had been a close game I think i would have gone inside and watched it on TV. Really dont have much interest in going back. Wegians, the sportsground and barstooling it for internationals will do me from now on

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Not if you are a father that is taking his kids to the stadium for the first time. hands his 2 kids €15 each for the burger etc. Dad stays in the stand, kids wait in line, order and then cannot pay for it with out a card etc. Back to dad. Dad goes mental. Join the line again.

End result? Father and 2 kids miss most of the match. I have seen it happen to many, many people and it sucks! I work there and was unaware of it until I tried to buy a bottle of Fanta. Left cards at home. Only cash. Luckily one of my colleagues paid for me.

I doubt it happens to many many people to be honest

People read this thread, go to the Aviva and get annoyed purely on the basis of what they read.

Yis are all nuts and aren't fit for public gatherings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I know I sort of resurrected a thread here and maybe I should not have done so, I was solely commenting on the atmosphere and the pace of play in Rugby!
    But I also think to myself - why would you eat the food in a stadium when there are thousands of good chip shops / restaurants within a 20 minute walk before/after the game. Food in a stadium is always muck compared to almost anywhere around it!
    The guy who has a beer at the start and gets another at half time after he's had a wizz isn't a problem. Its the guy(s) who have had 4 pints before the game, wants 2 during the first half and 2 more during the second half and all need to go to the jacks 4 times during the match who si the problem!
    But as I said, overall I found the whole experience underwhelming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 chief orman

The reason Rugby has this problem above over other sports is because at least 80% of people attending matches are fake fans. We all know these people who either played a bit of sport or no sport at all. You will have every "wannabe seen" person there including quite a few people who have never kicked any type of ball in their life. You also have a lot of women going to Rugby matches for the day out but they could hardly tell you who is playing not to mind what is going on. Rugby is a status sport and quite a few people are affected by what people think of them and need to climb the social ladder at all costs. They buy the jersey, attend the game and try and feel better about themselves. They have no interest in what is going on out on the pitch and probably don't even like the 20% Rugby Set but are desperate to be accepted. Inside they feel unhappy but the alcohol will get them through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

You seem to post a lot of negative comments about Rugby. A lot of issues in that last post. A lot. All of your own.

The reason Rugby has this problem above over other sports is because at least 80% of people attending matches are fake fans. We all know these people who either played a bit of sport or no sport at all. You will have every "wannabe seen" person there including quite a few people who have never kicked any type of ball in their life. You also have a lot of women going to Rugby matches for the day out but they could hardly tell you who is playing not to mind what is going on. Rugby is a status sport and quite a few people are affected by what people think of them and need to climb the social ladder at all costs. They buy the jersey, attend the game and try and feel better about themselves. They have no interest in what is going on out on the pitch and probably don't even like the 20% Rugby Set but are desperate to be accepted. Inside they feel unhappy but the alcohol will get them through it.

haha....that really is hilarious :D

cheers for the perk up this morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have to commend the IRFU. 80% of the people attending the matches don't even like the sport. That is some fantastic marketing to get all those people to spend their money on something they don't even like!! And buy the jerseys! Genius. Other sports could learn a thing or two from rugby. They might then sell a few more tickets.

Of course theres a lot of women at rugby matches. Rugby players and fans are generally better looking than those of other sports. This is a fact.

Tell me, does the 80% fake fans apply to the TV viewers or just those in attendance? If its TV as well, its doubley genius.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have to commend the IRFU. 80% of the people attending the matches don't even like the sport. That is some fantastic marketing to get all those people to spend their money on something they don't even like!! And buy the jerseys! Genius. Other sports could learn a thing or two from rugby. They might then sell a few more tickets.

Of course theres a lot of women at rugby matches. Rugby players and fans are generally better looking than those of other sports. This is a fact.

Tell me, does the 80% fake fans apply to the TV viewers or just those in attendance? If its TV as well, its doubley genius.

If they liked it they would watch it!

I bet the FAI would love it if they could fill a stadium full of women and wannabe's

Not sure how you can climb the social ladder in the freezing cold of Feb wrapped up like Mitchen men/women watching 30 lads run after a ball

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I bet the FAI would love it if they could fill a stadium full of women and wannabe's

Not sure how you can climb the social ladder in the freezing cold of Feb wrapped up like Mitchen men/women watching 30 lads run after a ball

Rugby is regarded as a posh sport so there is no comparison with soccer.
    And they are not freezing as they are in and out of the bar rather than watching the game.

While some of these points certainly apply to a number of Leinster fans who seemed to see the Ross O’Carroll-Kelly books as some sort of “life guide”.

The RDS, on a nice evening or weekend, can be a bit of a “meet and greet” where the game, itself, can take a back seat. That “type” of a attendee is a dying breed now though.

The Italy games, and now the Scotland ones, have a large number of women attending. Kids too. Tickets seem to be “offloaded” on the wife and kids.

You tend to see a fair number of fans at those “lesser” games that you won’t see at the big hitters. It’s still a great way for people to experience a live game.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Nothing gets likes on insta quite like a picture from the Aviva #rugby #wherearemylikes #irelandvsomebody.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You’re wrong.

Nothing gets likes on insta quite like a picture from the Aviva #rugby #wherearemylikes #irelandvsomebody.........

Nothing??

God I feel sorry for all those young ones flashing their skin... When all they had to do for likes was go to a rugby game

#wontsomeonethinkofthemodels #bestkeptsecret

Rugby is regarded as a posh sport so there is no comparison with soccer.
    And they are not freezing as they are in and out of the bar rather than watching the game.

Who regards rugby as a posh sport?

Lads, troll food is now €5 per portion... if you want to keep feeding it you'll have to pay me.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who regards rugby as a posh sport?

Everyone.

Everyone.

Haha

You're great craic.

Everyone.

Would disagree, rugby is now played by the entire cross-section of our society. Maybe 30 yrs ago it was different, in fact it definitely was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I think it’s a common issue in Ireland generally. I know there was some controversy a few months ago when a musician had a rather justified rant about how some of her Irish audiences were unbelievably rude and just drank and talked loudly through her sets and had no interest in being there. She was saying she found Irish audiences particularly bad for this.

I’ve seen a few incidences where stage performers have actually asked people to stop and have really had no positive reaction.

Seems a lot of people here just see everything as being equivalent to pints in the pub. There’s also always a % of people who go to things they’ve no interest in for the social element or because someone (E.g. a company they work for) just booked tickets as a perk.

It’s getting ridiculous though. We asked two twenty something here old women to please adopt talking during a film and was told to shut up! They quite literally discussed their night out, at full volume all through a film.

I think it applies in sport as much as music and stage or screen. People seem to just be losing the ability to pay attention to anything anymore and have no sense of any kind of respect for other people around them trying to watch, listen or participate in something be or a rugby march or a stage performance.

It’s disrespectful to the players or performers and it’s also hugely disrespectful to those around them.

My view of it is if you want to go to the pub and chat, go to the pub and chat. Don’t spoil someone’s match or gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

England match last year was the worst sporting event I have ever seen live. Mainly due to the carry on of others around me, who didn't seem overly interested in what was happening on the pitch - but more interested in constant pints and selfies and chats.

Should be a ban on bringing alcohol to the seats like with other sports, such as football and GAA. Both of these manage to attract large crowds, have better atmospheres and do so without allowing people to bring alcohol to their seats.

The ordinary fan has been priced out of Ireland* tickets, and I do echo the sentiment that it has become a status sport, at least for attendance purposes. Most of the people at the Aviva for an Ireland game these days wouldn't be spotted on a wet and windy Friday night at a provincial Pro 14 game.

Would disagree, rugby is now played by the entire cross-section of our society. Maybe 30 yrs ago it was different, in fact it definitely was.

That is your opinion but the topic really was about attending big Rugby matches such as Ireland vs England or Leinster & Munster in the European Cup. The majority of fans have no interest in the game or understand it. If they were really interested in the game why are they doing everything except looking out onto the pitch. And there is a staus/snobbery attached to Rugby compared to Soccer & GAA. Rugby attracts these people whereas other sports don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Really?

The 23 man squad for England last week

15 attended private fee playing schools
    5 players attended non fee paying schools
    2 from South Africa
    1 from New Zealand

A cross section of society indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'd guess that the reason it's an issue at rugby is because gaa and soccer don't allow beer to be brought to your seat. If they did the same issues would arise. Some people like a booze up with sport it doesn't matter which sport.

That is your opinion but the topic really was about attending big Rugby matches such as Ireland vs England or Leinster & Munster in the European Cup. The majority of fans have no interest in the game or understand it. If they were really interested in the game why are they doing everything except looking out onto the pitch. And there is a staus/snobbery attached to Rugby compared to Soccer & GAA. Rugby attracts these people whereas other sports don't.

I think this is also your opinion

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Really?

2 from South Africa
    1 from New Zealand

Are you surprised the top level professionals in the country came through systems which offered them the best top class training and coaching???

but of course... thats not the point of the post you responded to... but you already know that you cheeky whippersnapper you.... ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Winning attracts these people, as it did with the soccer in the 90’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Should be a ban on bringing alcohol to the seats like with other sports, such as football and GAA. Both of these manage to attract large crowds, have better atmospheres and do so without allowing people to bring alcohol to their seats.

Imagine if they allowed alcohol at those sports!! There would be riots. Fans at those sports just don't have have the decorum and restraint of of rugby fans. As well as being less attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Imagine if they allowed alcohol at those sports!! There would be riots. Fans at those sports just don't have have the decorum and restraint of of rugby fans. As well as being less attractive.

Imagine the legendary horseplay

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Really?

2 from South Africa
    1 from New Zealand

Yes and Ireland has Keith Earls from Moyross, Tadhg Furlong from New Ross, Sean O'Brien from Tullow, plenty of other lads from Limerick, Cork, etc.

Yes it is my opinion, but I was replying to you who had dragged it to a debate about class......on All-Irelnand final day are you saying that there are 83k die hard fans?

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks that those going to the Aviva are going for the “social” side of things is just plain wrong.

Even for the more “family fun day” games you are lucky if you see anyone you know. If you do you might either exchange a brief hello or meet for a quick pint at halftime. That’s it.

You’re not going to be climbing any “social ladder” and it is very unlikely you’ll be “seen”. Absolute nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement