Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why I stopped going to matches in Aviva?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I have a seat in the Anglesea stand for many years now and there was always an unwritten rule that you don't move from or return to your seat during play. Sadly it's becoming less and less honored these days to the point that people have to be asked to sit down or move from the aisles.

As for Landsdowne... whoever designed the seating rise / step between seats should be taken away and shot. It is half what the RDS is (I actually measured it - roughly) and any time there is a bit of action, everyone stands up and unless you are over 6' tall you can't see at all. Better view of the match on TV so I only go to the ones included in the season ticket... That said, I went to the QF's but left frustrated and having to look at the screens more than the pitch..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

I get the point being made here. I went to the match Sat with seats at the end of the row (my dad has a bad knee and prefers to sit at the end to be able to stretch it out).
    Every 5 mins I had to get up to let one of the same group of 6/7 people out and by the end I was get a little annoyed, in the first half they were waiting for the ball to go dead but that went out the gap once McFaddens try basically put the game to rest. At the same time you can't go to a match and expect to not be interrupted a few times, especially where I was seated. Emailing someone over it seems to be an exercise in pointlessness

Also I don't think there is PA guy in the world who doesn't come across as an irritating gob****e. The Leinster one is just slightly more distinguishable with his accent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Steve wrote: »

As for Landsdowne... whoever designed the seating rise / step between seats should be taken away and shot. It is half what the RDS is (I actually measured it - roughly) and any time there is a bit of action, everyone stands up and unless you are over 6' tall you can't see at all.

This is surely just a matter of geometry though. If you have a structure of a certain height and you want to get a certain number of rows into it, then you don't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

siochain wrote: »
    I paid €152 euro to see the game with one of the kids yesterday and I was sitting in the aisle set and between

- People getting up in my row
    - People getting up in the row in front
    - Continuous procession of people walking down the stairs
    - People walking back up the stairs stopping to watch play

I seen feck all :mad:

That's particulary heinous, I have no patience for that. I've seen fellas dragged to the ground a few times for refusing to move.
    Steve wrote: »
    I have a seat in the Anglesea stand for many years now and there was always an unwritten rule that you don't move from or return to your seat during play. Sadly it's becoming less and less honored these days to the point that people have to be asked to sit down or move from the aisles.

As for Landsdowne... whoever designed the seating rise / step between seats should be taken away and shot. It is half what the RDS is (I actually measured it - roughly) and any time there is a bit of action, everyone stands up and unless you are over 6' tall you can't see at all. Better view of the match on TV so I only go to the ones included in the season ticket... That said, I went to the QF's but left frustrated and having to look at the screens more than the pitch..
    Unwritten rule? If I need a píss I'm not going to sit there bursting for 40 mins plus. If I came back with pints you can read from the rulebook then and rightly so ... oh wait they're unwritten!! :cool::D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It happens at the Three Arena for gigs as well, which is why I've stopped going there. Same at Vicar street.
    As someone mentioned earlier that you probably wouldn't get it at Thomond Park. You would. Munster fans don't have some moral high ground over anyone else. They're booze hounds, like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lets be honest, people complaining about this are highly exaggerating. I've been at every Leinster home game with the exception of 2 for the last 2 years and don't think I've stood up more than 3/4 times in a half ever. So standing up for 40 seconds over the course of 40 minutes means you saw '**** all', really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A lot depends on the frequency and timing of it. If people pop out once or twice in a game, waiting for a break in play to leave and come back, then they're totally fine. It's the people who are up and down constantly regardless of whats happening on the pitch that are annoying. Thankfully I don't have to suffer that anymore as I don't really go to Ireland games these days and for Leinster games in the Aviva I'm with STHs and/or a large group of family and friends who are like minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I mad the mistake ones of sitting in the passage row of the North stand in the RDS for Leinster v ulster. It was a new years game and for a lot it was just a piss up, but it was a nightmare

errlloyd wrote: »
    I mad the mistake ones of sitting in the passage row of the North stand in the RDS for Leinster v ulster. It was a new years game and for a lot it was just a piss up, but it was a nightmare

I'm going to go look up that pic you posted from South Africa with the beer holder and if the ball is in play I believe you should become the villain of this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm going to go look up that pic you posted from South Africa with the beer holder and if the ball is in play I believe you should become the villain of this thread...

Not to mention that gargantuan tower of beer that likely blocked vision for 40 rows up behind them. No regard for anyone but themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not to mention that gargantuan tower of beer that likely blocked vision for 40 rows up behind them. No regard for anyone but themselves

Good thing there was no one in those rows so! I am definitely the hero. What would have taken one person multiple annoying trips, I managed to do in one short trip with minimal disturbance.

And while all of that was slightly facetious, there are some learnings I wish the RDS / Aviva would take from all this. Stackable Cups / Bags of beer / Pitchers are used in a lot of stadiums to allow people to carry more drinks to their seats and require them to get up fewer times. In the Rec bars close 5 minutes before kick off and 3 minutes before the end of half time. I also think more permanent reusable cups with a deposit should be used, but that's just because I am turtle loving leftie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I really dislike the, often snobbish, attitude that if you really care about the rugby then you can do without a drink etc.

I love rugby, bore my friends to tears talking about it in fact. I love the intricacies and watching off the ball positioning that you only get to see live.
    You know what else I love, having a beer. Now that I have 2 young children I rarely get out, so being able to enjoy 2 things that I love at the same time is brilliant.

However, I do agree that having people constantly in and out can be a little frustrating, the obvious answer is bringing cans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

freyners wrote: »
    Also I don't think there is PA guy in the world who doesn't come across as an irritating gob****e. The Leinster one is just slightly more distinguishable with his accent :D

I'd take our guy any day over the Fr. Stone-a-like the EPCR installed on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

From what I have seen here.

There are 2 or possibly 3 people who have decided not to go to the Aviva anymore for various reasons that can be explain thusly

"I feel I am above the behaviour of some in a public place with over 50 thousand people"

Good. Don't come.

Go to the Golf instead and check your season tickets at the door

I dunno, people noting the behaviour and saying it detracts from their enjoyment aren't being arrogant. People like you and many others are the ones using ****ty attempts at sarcasm, condescension and laughably extravagant levels of arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I dunno, people noting the behaviour and saying it detracts from their enjoyment aren't being arrogant.
    I think anyone who genuinely likes rugby and is asked to get up 20 times in a match when the ball is in play will get annoyed. It's just a bit of consideration that is being asked for. Leinster fans I think are just too polite to tell people doing it to stop - but we shouldn't be afraid. The people doing think they are doing nothing wrong - but if they realised it annoyed people and brough a hip flask instead or just planned their beers better, I am sure most of them would understand.

The silent majority just need to speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think anyone who genuinely likes rugby and is asked to get up 20 times in a match when the ball is in play will get annoyed. It's just a bit of consideration that is being asked for. Leinster fans I think are just too polite to tell people doing it to stop - but we shouldn't be afraid. The people doing think they are doing nothing wrong - but if they realised it annoyed people and brough a hip flask instead or just planned their beers better, I am sure most of them would understand.

The silent majority just need to speak up.
    Ah tim nobody would be getting up 20 times a game so quit with the hyperbole. They werent being abusive, they have every right to do so. Leinster, the match day stewards/security dont have any issues nor do stadium management. I think you would be in a clear minority in asking for any change and from my experience working in the bars and i was working in the Aviva on Saturday it is far from a majority who feel like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I always bring my boy along to use as an excuse to the people sitting next to me that he has to use the toilet during the game. Then I go get my pint then and cover it in my jacket covertly on the way back. He's 23 now and getting a bit fed up with it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I dunno, people noting the behaviour and saying it detracts from their enjoyment aren't being arrogant. People like you and many others are the ones using ****ty attempts at sarcasm, condescension and laughably extravagant levels of arrogance.
    There's an element of arrogance in labelling people who want to have a couple of pints during the game as not being true supporters. The phrase 'real fan' was used in one of the previous posts. Is that not just a tad arrogant?

...from my experience working in the bars and i was working in the Aviva on Saturday it is far from a majority who feel like you.

But how would you know from the bars? Surely you're just interacting with the people who are doing it and not the ones who take issue with it? :P

There genuinely is an element where they are up and down numerous times during a game. As I said earlier, if it isn't too often and they show some consideration around the timing of it then it isn't a big deal. I have had experiences though where people have been up at least several times in the one game while play is ongoing (and that means me getting up a dozen or more times as they go out and come back). The first 1 or 2 times they do it you don't tend to mind. The 5th or 6th time is a different story.

We can happily accommodate both groups as long as each show the other a bit of common decency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's an element of arrogance in labelling people who want to have a couple of pints during the game as not being true supporters. The phrase 'real fan' was used in one of the previous posts. Is that not just a tad arrogant?

I used that phrase and then withdrew it Yeah "real fan" can cause more problems than it solves. But surely, you get the idea of consideration and compromise?

So let people have their pints, but do it in a way that doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the game for others. I am sure any "real fan" be it a drinker or a tea total-er would acknowledge the importance of letting his rugby brothers and sisters watch the match?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Solution

56f23135f3287.image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

molloyjh wrote: »
    But how would you know from the bars? Surely you're just interacting with the people who are doing it and not the ones who take issue with it? :P

There genuinely is an element where they are up and down numerous times during a game. As I said earlier, if it isn't too often and they show some consideration around the timing of it then it isn't a big deal. I have had experiences though where people have been up at least several times in the one game while play is ongoing (and that means me getting up a dozen or more times as they go out and come back). The first 1 or 2 times they do it you don't tend to mind. The 5th or 6th time is a different story.

We can happily accommodate both groups as long as each show the other a bit of common decency.
    But what do you do to accommodate both groups? The bars are already pre pouring for the busiest times so the drinks cant go out quicker. There cant be more bars added.
    I used that phrase and then withdrew it Yeah "real fan" can cause more problems than it solves. But surely, you get the idea of consideration and compromise?

So let people have their pints, but do it in a way that doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the game for others. I am sure any "real fan" be it a drinker or a tea total-er would acknowledge the importance of letting his rugby brothers and sisters watch the match?
    How do you do that Tim?
    Id love to know. And what is your proposal for compromise? Do you propose non drinking sections then as thats about the only way you may be happy as nothing else is going to stop lots of ticket holders going in/out during game for drinks??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I work there at the moment and its always a constant stream of people in and out. Yesterday was far worse(busier) than any games recently including all 6 nations games.

Was there too, Course it was. Leinster were hammering the other team so much there wasn't much of a match left to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, I get that. And I only mentioned the 'real fan' thing because of an accusation of arrogance from the poster I replied to. Which wasn't fair either.

I'd be more inclined to bring a bottle of water with me to a match than get pints. But that's probably got more to do with the fact that I hate queuing. :)

On a warm sunny day though, I could be persuaded. On a cold wintry evening a hip flask is the better option. ;)

I mean how many pints do you need? I don't understand why people can't get sorted before they sit down for the first half and then before the 2nd half as well? I mean it's 40 minutes...

But what do you do to accommodate both groups? The bars are already pre pouring for the busiest times so the drinks cant go out quicker. There cant be more bars added.

It's about individuals being decent to other individuals. It's got feck all to do with facilities. As I've said a few times now, those people getting up can choose to do so during breaks in play. Those being "inconvenienced" can show some patience then if it isn't affecting their viewing. But as below, there should be no need for people to be getting up all that often during the game.
    I mean how many pints do you need? I don't understand why people can't get sorted before they sit down for the first half and then before the 2nd half as well? I mean it's 40 minutes...

Yeah the only time when people should need to go to the bar for a pint is at the tail end of the first half to beat the queues. Otherwise I'm not sure why a pint wouldn't last someone 30-40 mins. Of course then there's the bladder related absences, but again that shouldn't be all that frequent either.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's about individuals being decent to other individuals. It's got feck all to do with facilities. As I've said a few times now, those people getting up can choose to do so during breaks in play. Those being "inconvenienced" can show some patience then if it isn't affecting their viewing. But as below, there should be no need for people to be getting up all that often during the game.

Yeah the only time when people should need to go to the bar for a pint is at the tail end of the first half to beat the queues. Otherwise I'm not sure why a pint wouldn't last someone 30-40 mins. Of course then there's the bladder related absences, but again that shouldn't be all that frequent either.

I mean my group are absolute legends obviously, but we just get two pints each before the first half, whizz at half time, then two pints each for the 2nd half. And we're human beings with semi-functioning brains so we send one guy to get those pints. Didn't have to leave our seats, might have arrived a couple of minutes late but that's it.

To me it doesn't even seem remotely difficult to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

Johnny had a kick just before half time on Saturday, i'd say 10% of the crowd decided to go to the bar as he was kicking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I will confess I went to the bar during the first half but I was sitting in an aisle seat very near an exit so nobody had to move. People going in and out from the middle of a row is a pain in the arse and you're a bad person if you do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement