Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options
  • 19-04-2018 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Bear in mind he's a 40yold who hasn't played since the start of the year, underwent serious eye surgery and has talked about possible retirement.
    That's all pretty much built into the 100/1 quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont think it's the worst shout myself and Fu is probably in the weakest section too. As for lack of playing time, I recall them saying Ronnie couldn't possibly be a contender when he swung by in 2013 without hardly playing a competitive frame that season and we all know how that turned up. Okay, he's Ronnie O'Sullivan, best player the game has known, and we're talking about Marco Fu but it does show convention can be turned on its head at the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes a bit of value in Allen, now he has got over the line in a major tournament.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Can't wait for the next 2 weeks. As I get older and more world weary I find myself less interested in sport, but still love the snooker and the permanence of the World Championship at the Crucible. Told my wife shortly after we met that the May bank holiday weekend is sacrosanct. My dog died on the final Monday last year. Hoping for uninterrupted viewing of Ronnie's 6th this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Heading over next Wednesday.

Going to three sessions and Ronnies second round game will be that Friday morning if he beats Maguire so may try and pick up tickets for that also.

This is the only pure snooker tournament left. If you go 4 nil down it's not pretty much game over. Love the drama of the long drawn out multi session marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,774 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I read that. It's utter bull.....

Made it faster than Ronnie's 5 mins 20 seconds, and two frames beforehand he made a 135....

Odd why someone would claim it...

walshb wrote: »
    I read that. It's utter bull.....

Made it faster than Ronnie's 5 mins 20 seconds, and two frames beforehand he made a 135....

Odd why someone would claim it...

Why is it utter bull? Cant think either why anyone would want to claim it...other than it was true. What's so preposterous about it anyway? The kid is obviously very talented, whether he will have the mental skills and fortitude necessary to be a top player will be another matter entirely.

• Advertisement

Why is it utter bull? Cant think either why anyone would want to claim it...other than it was true. What's so preposterous about it anyway? The kid is obviously very talented, whether he will have the mental skills and fortitude necessary to be a top player will be another matter entirely.

Come off it...

Have you read it.....

Grainy cctv images, him and Allen...

Aged 13...

Go watch what Ronnie did in 1997. It is one of sports most skilled ever performances, and all done in just over 5 minutes...

Any yet we're meant to believe some 13 year old bettered this by 16 seconds just because he and Allen said so?

Not a shred of actual proof here.....

And, who timed it, made sure it was above board and within the rules?

Why would they claim it? Only they know....

Why do I need to go and watch what Ronnie did? I know what Ronnie did. Who really cares anyway? Sound like you want to get the CID involved. The kid might well have done what they say he did, it's not obviously utter bull like you say. If they want to compare it to ROS or claim a world record, let them. The obvious different is ROS did that in competition which is a different ball game to doing it down the local club. I'd be fairly certain ROS has knocked in numerous 147s quicker than 5 minutes in practice, probably too many to count.

But the claims are not obviously utter bull. I've seen lots of precociously talented kids in several sports, I dont see what's obviously preposterous about it.

Why do I need to go and watch what Ronnie did? I know what Ronnie did.

Do you really have to ask?

Maybe to give you a sense of perspective here. To watch the greatest ever snooker talent (as an adult) compiling the sports ultimate feat in such a short space of time....

Then say to yourself, sure the 13 year old down the road did that in the local snooker hall, only faster.......Sure there it is for all to see on that CCTV that you barely make out....

walshb wrote: »
    Do you really have to ask?

Maybe to give you a sense of perspective here. To watch the greatest ever snooker talent (as an adult) compiling the sports ultimate feat in such a short space of time....

Then say to yourself, sure the 13 year old down the road did that in the local snooker hall, only faster.......Sure there it is for all to see on that CCTV that you barely make out....

Ok walshie, thanks for the history lesson, much appreciated. Sure a 13 year old making a maximum, even in practice, is rare enough and doing so in such a time is unusual. But then rare and precocious talents exist in sport so I dont see any reason to join in and calling them liars.

I just say good luck to the kid, he's obviously very talented and has got a good start in the game. Long way to the top, though, even for a kid knocking in maximums at 13. Hope they don't start hyping him up and flinging the Ronnie comparisons around at every opportunity. Sort of stuff wont do him any good.

Anyway...enough of this nonsense. The worlds start in 20 hours....the first Saturday at The Crucible, outside of Day One Cheltenham and All Ireland hurling final day, my favourite sporting day of the year.

Who do folk fancy to win it out? I’m hearing it described as a very open tournament but I just can’t see beyond the usual elite group. A few seeds to fall first round I think, then business as usual from then on. I’ll be surprised if between Selby, Higgins, Ding and Ronnie, there aren’t at least 3 out of those 4 in the semis. Taking it on faith with Ronnie, of course, that he won’t sabotage himself and decide that the 15 day grind isn’t for him. Wouldn’t want any of the quoted 2/1 about him anyway, that’s for certain.

On balance think I like Ding. Was ready to write him off completely a couple of years ago, but think he’s been showing signs of getting it together lately and we know he has the ability and potting talent. I’m confident he’ll emerge from his section at least, with the Hawk as the main danger.

Mark Allen. Which means it will be one of 31 others.

Coventry man in a snappy shirt in the Coventry colours.

Coventry man has smartened up and got himself a sky blue and white shirt with collar. So no sports gear rule is taken seriously.

Mark Allen. Which means it will be one of 31 others.

I’d love Allen to do well, about time he had a serious run at this tournament.

Ding at 11/1 looks a reasonable bet also.

• Advertisement

Ropey Selby this morning, making heavy weather of winning a frame. Why change a winning formula?

Perry probably goes favourite now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Murphy at 25/1 is serious each way value on first glance, I presume he has a horrible route to the final? Will still have a small bit on him

Murphy at 25/1 is serious each way value on first glance, I presume he has a horrible route to the final? Will still have a small bit on him

Would go s bit shorter if Selby got done. Long way to go in that match it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Commentator: "I can't see Selby making any more mistakes"

*misses easy red by a mile*

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This is the first year I’ve got Sky Q while the snooker world choampionships are on. Is there any way to add the red button station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Hope Joe can keep this up, would love to see him do Selby.. Joe needs to keep doing what he is doing and hold his nerve..

3-6 a must for Selby you would imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

how are they playing a ninth frame of the session here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

how are they playing a ninth frame of the session here?

The 9 frame 1st sessions came in a couple of years ago IIRC. Just caught the last couple of frames this morning, Selby can't possibly come back from this. The match sharpness from the qualifiers is a big help.

Advertisement