Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

General Dunshaughlin news

2456725

Comments



  • So Massimo's look like they're about to open on the Main St. What's the food like?

    There's been an incredible explosion of development in Dunshaughlin in the last few months. Across the way from St. Seachnaills near Lagore rd there's a big development of 96 houses and a creche. It looks like Hanson Wood is nearly done. The apartment block which was opposed by Maelduin residents got the go ahead in the green area. I think that'll be an overall negative for the area. And there's another two apartment blocks going in at the back of the aforementioned block. I've driven in there a few times and they'll have to stop the parking outside Apache Pizza soon!

    Lidl flying up also.....

    And that's not to mention all the developments going on the Dublin road.

    I just hope the developers and planners do it right.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    So Massimo's look like they're about to open on the Main St. What's the food like?

    There's been an incredible explosion of development in Dunshaughlin in the last few months. Across the way from St. Seachnaills near Lagore rd there's a big development of 96 houses and a creche. It looks like Hanson Wood is nearly done. The apartment block which was opposed by Maelduin residents got the go ahead in the green area. I think that'll be an overall negative for the area. And there's another two apartment blocks going in at the back of the aforementioned block. I've driven in there a few times and they'll have to stop the parking outside Apache Pizza soon!

    Lidl flying up also.....

    And that's not to mention all the developments going on the Dublin road.

    I just hope the developers and planners do it right.

    Massimos - foods been good any time I ate there. Standard Italian type fare

    If Aldi gets the go ahead, there will be a serious need for a park and ride for bus commuters. Village is full as it is before 8am




  • tara83 wrote: »
    Massimos - foods been good any time I ate there. Standard Italian type fare

    If Aldi gets the go ahead, there will be a serious need for a park and ride for bus commuters. Village is full as it is before 8am

    Yea if it gets the go ahead congestion will be a nightmare. I think Lidl is great for the town, don't think an Aldi is needed as well. Hope the planners will refuse planning. It would be more appropriate maybe on the edge of town somewhere.

    Good to hear re Massimo's. There'll be a few more eateries opening over the next twelve months no doubt. Great opportunities for businesses.




  • tara83 wrote: »
    Massimos - foods been good any time I ate there. Standard Italian type fare

    If Aldi gets the go ahead, there will be a serious need for a park and ride for bus commuters. Village is full as it is before 8am

    Seriously ? Before 8? maybe around 8:45/ 9 with the school run. Didn't think the traffic would be bad before 8 as i usually leave for work around 6.

    I think an Aldi would be brilliant and doubt it would add much to traffic congestion. If anything, it would ease the mayhem around supervalue on a Saturday afternoon :pac: The parking outside Tara News, Post office etc is a joke at this stage and as i understand it, The owner is in advance talks with MCC to take over it.
    But in all, I think the recent developments in Dunshaughlin is a good thing and long over due.




  • Maysa07 wrote: »
    Seriously ? Before 8? maybe around 8:45/ 9 with the school run. Didn't think the traffic would be bad before 8 as i usually leave for work around 6.

    I think an Aldi would be brilliant and doubt it would add much to traffic congestion. If anything, it would ease the mayhem around supervalue on a Saturday afternoon :pac: The parking outside Tara News, Post office etc is a joke at this stage and as i understand it, The owner is in advance talks with MCC to take over it.
    But in all, I think the recent developments in Dunshaughlin is a good thing and long over due.

    Fair point. Traffic most days in Supervalu is crazy and I suppose all vehicles are concentrated in that one bottleneck by Tara News and the carpark. Two new supermarkets on the other end of the street mightn't have as big an impact. It'll be interesting to see...

    RE the above, 'The owner is in advanced talks with MCC to take over it' the owner of what to take over what..!!?


  • Advertisement


  • Maysa07 wrote: »
    Seriously ? Before 8? maybe around 8:45/ 9 with the school run. Didn't think the traffic would be bad before 8 as i usually leave for work around 6.

    I think an Aldi would be brilliant and doubt it would add much to traffic congestion. If anything, it would ease the mayhem around supervalue on a Saturday afternoon :pac: The parking outside Tara News, Post office etc is a joke at this stage and as i understand it, The owner is in advance talks with MCC to take over it.
    But in all, I think the recent developments in Dunshaughlin is a good thing and long over due.

    I was referring to parking. Commuters currently park at the wall when Aldi is going and outside Apache




  • Dunshaughlin really needs a car park of some sort. The only real one in the village is the Supervalu Car Park, other than that, parking on the sides of the road.




  • If Aldi gets the green light will it replace Maddens or be built adjacent to it? Would be a shame if Maddens was to go.




  • If Aldi gets the green light will it replace Maddens or be built adjacent to it? Would be a shame if Maddens was to go.


    Both Aldi and Maddens have applied separately for planning permission. The full layout and drawings of the proposed Aldi is on MCC planning section. There is parking for 90 spaces and the building will run parallel with the bank and solicitors, directly behind them. Entrance at the half way point of the site down the Lagore Rd.

    Maddens have applied for pp to basically get rid of the car park and a good section of the yard and sell to Aldi. They want to erect a boundary. There would be a pedestrian entrance from the main street. I presume people could park in Aldi and go into Maddens.

    The full plans and site layout for Lidl is also up. Plenty of greenery which is good to see.

    Two new large supermarkets will clear a load of the parking which will be a definite plus.




  • Exile59 wrote: »

    RE the above, 'The owner is in advanced talks with MCC to take over it' the owner of what to take over what..!!?

    The owner of that road alone the post office, opposite Foley's, is privately owned as i understand, and because of it, there is no proper parking regulations. If the counsel take over they could perhaps manage it..


  • Advertisement


  • Maysa07 wrote: »
    The owner of that road alone the post office, opposite Foley's, is privately owned as i understand, and because of it, there is no proper parking regulations. If the counsel take over they could perhaps manage it..

    They definitely need to sort out the road leading into Maelduin as well.




  • Does anyone know who's opening the creche?? Another one is had my needed in the village.
    I'm looking for a space for my baby late this year or early next year so would love to know who's opening it.




  • andreac wrote: »
    Does anyone know who's opening the creche?? Another one is had my needed in the village.
    I'm looking for a space for my baby late this year or early next year so would love to know who's opening it.

    I know there's two childcare facilities being built over the next year. One in The Willows on the Dublin Road and another in the new development near St. Seachnail's. Not sure when they'll be up and ready though.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    andreac wrote: »
    Does anyone know who's opening the creche?? Another one is had my needed in the village.
    I'm looking for a space for my baby late this year or early next year so would love to know who's opening it.

    I know there's two childcare facilities being built over the next year. One in The Willows on the Dublin Road and another in the new development near St. Seachnail's. Not sure when they'll be up and ready though.
    Do you happen to know who is running these creches? Badly looking for a space for my baby in the next year or less. Currently only 1 creches in the village and one is full already until next summer.




  • I hear Supervalu are building a coffee shop beside their 'big' car park (back of boylesports/macaris) . Heard Aldi planning permission for where Ryans pub is in Ratoath. There would be no need for both Lidl and Aldi in Dunshaughlin.




  • andreac wrote: »
    Do you happen to know who is running these creches? Badly looking for a space for my baby in the next year or less. Currently only 1 creches in the village and one is full already until next summer.

    Not a clue, sorry! They're just on the MCC planning site. It'll be a while before they're up and running anyways I'd say!




  • Massimos is open!!!!




  • rizzee wrote: »
    I hear Supervalu are building a coffee shop beside their 'big' car park (back of boylesports/macaris). Heard Aldi planning permission for where Ryans pub is in Ratoath. There would be no need for both Lidl and Aldi in Dunshaughlin.
    I think with the new stools and tables in the front porch, perhaps they are just extending the deli area to accommodate more coffee shop type facilities.

    With regard to Aldi, perhaps they are hedging their bets and just applying for both areas to be on the safe side.
    There doesn't seem to be as big of a push/groundswell of support for Aldi in Dunshaughlin as there was for Lidl. So they may well have better luck getting into Ratoath.




  • maik3n wrote: »
    I think with the new stools and tables in the front porch, perhaps they are just extending the deli area to accommodate more coffee shop type facilities.

    With regard to Aldi, perhaps they are hedging their bets and just applying for both areas to be on the safe side.
    There doesn't seem to be as big of a push/groundswell of support for Aldi in Dunshaughlin as there was for Lidl. So they may well have better luck getting into Ratoath.

    Good point re extending the deli area.

    I don't think Dunshaughlin needs both anyway, you're probably right with them applying for both to be safe. With Ratoath at 10k + population i would be more hopeful of them getting it.




  • Yea re the coffee shop at Supervalu, I heard they're just extending the deli area alright. They need to make themselves more competitive with the arrival of Lidl. Maybe they might even start to slash some of the prices.....Wishful thinking!

    There definitely seems less of a groundswell of support for Aldi alright. There's no sign of planning permission for Aldi in Ratoath yet so it will be interesting to see if they do go for Ratoath. But it seems to be where there's a Lidl, there's an Aldi.

    Must give Massimo's a visit over the next while, delighted it's open. And there's more whispers of Insomnia opening in one of the two units in Lidl.

    With all this going on, I really do hope enough consideration is given to roadside parking, traffic and selectively granting planning permission to developers so Dunshaughlin won't become another Ashbourne and there won't be issues with congestion.


  • Advertisement


  • Does anyone know anything about the new primary school announced today? Where will it be located hadn't heard anything about it but I don't have primary going children

    Personally I prefer Aldi but great to have Lidl at least




  • tara83 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the new primary school announced today? Where will it be located hadn't heard anything about it but I don't have primary going children

    Personally I prefer Aldi but great to have Lidl at least

    I doubt they have a site selected already to be honest, especially if the announcement was just made this morning. They have 2019 penciled in to open. I'd be really surprised if a school was built and ready to open in less than eighteen months.




  • just spotted this now and unfortunately cannot read the full article, but looks like there are plans to build close to another 800 houses in a massive development on top of the current on-going developments.

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gem-group-in-talks-to-build-783-new-homes-in-dunshaughlin-co-meath-bknkd8dvk




  • Is this on the same site as the current devlopment (The Willows)?




  • rock27 wrote: »
    Is this on the same site as the current devlopment (The Willows)?

    not sure but as it's near the Dublin road then it must be very close to it, if this scheme goes ahead.




  • Gonzo wrote: »
    not sure but as it's near the Dublin road then it must be very close to it, if this scheme goes ahead.

    The times article states its GEM Construction (Willows builders) who are in negotiation with An Bord Pleanala for the expansion of the Dublin road site. They are proposing 783 units (500 houses with 283 apartments). It will be interesting to see how the planning decision goes on this as I don’t believe any previous developments in the village have had this volume of apartments.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    I doubt they have a site selected already to be honest, especially if the announcement was just made this morning. They have 2019 penciled in to open. I'd be really surprised if a school was built and ready to open in less than eighteen months.

    the Irish independent article today mentioned that these schools will initially operate from prefabs on temporary sites. No indication as to where the Dunshaughlin school will be situated or what board of management it will fall under. Given that both existing primary schools in the village are under Catholic patronage there may be demand for an educate together given the recent events in Trim.




  • Gonzo wrote: »
    just spotted this now and unfortunately cannot read the full article, but looks like there are plans to build close to another 800 houses in a massive development on top of the current on-going developments.

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gem-group-in-talks-to-build-783-new-homes-in-dunshaughlin-co-meath-bknkd8dvk

    We went up to the open house in The Willows yesterday for a look, just to see the type of house and were chatting to the sales agent. Coincidentally enough re the above article, he pulled out his phone and showed us exactly the land zoned for development. It basically stretches from the field between The Willows and the soccer pitch and wraps across the back of the business park, Maldeuin and up to the Lagore Road. He said over 700+ houses were ear marked for building there. He just said the land in zoned, but no planning permission has been applied for and it would be a good few years before most of the houses are built.

    I can't see why it wouldn't be granted. Not sure if this level of expansion is a good thing or bad...




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    We went up to the open house in The Willows yesterday for a look, just to see the type of house and were chatting to the sales agent. Coincidentally enough re the above article, he pulled out his phone and showed us exactly the land zoned for development. It basically stretches from the field between The Willows and the soccer pitch and wraps across the back of the business park, Maldeuin and up to the Lagore Road. He said over 700+ houses were ear marked for building there. He just said the land in zoned, but no planning permission has been applied for and it would be a good few years before most of the houses are built.

    I can't see why it wouldn't be granted. Not sure if this level of expansion is a good thing or bad...

    It may be granted as they are applying density which is what government are calling for with housing crisis, etc. But would there really be a market for apartments in Dunshaughlin...that I cannot get my head around.


  • Advertisement


  • Re the above...

    This is what I wouldn't like to see happen...lots of apartments built and Dunshaughlin losing it's sense of community and becoming like Ashbourne; a town full of commuters who travel in and out to Dublin every day. The whole dynamic of the town would change in a few short years.


Advertisement