Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Principal Officer in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Riskymove wrote: »
    I know there are people in regions who aren't interested in Dublin jobs
    windyout wrote: »
    A few reasons I can think of.
    For non existing public servants money may be an issue (starting at the bottom of the scale is certainly a factor)
    Maybe they didn't like the offer - I'm not sure how this works. If they don't like the offer are they allowed a second offer and if so when?, i.e. do they go back to the end of the queue or do they get the option of accepting the next post that arises?
    Maybe they got something else in the meantime
    hardybuck wrote: »
    More than likely location. People knew the package that was on offer when they applied - and the vast majority will already be Civil Servants.

If you turn down a location you can't get another offer as far as I know. But you might have a second location that you applied for.
    some on the panel will have gotten a promotion throught other means (internal etc)

Thanks, yes, I'm aware of those possibilities. I was just interested to hear the actual issues in these current cases, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thanks, yes, I'm aware of those possibilities. I was just interested to hear the actual issues in these current cases, if possible.

In my case they are actual reasons

I know of at least 2 people not interested in Dublin jobs who turned them down

and of 2 who have been promoted elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

A colleague of mine turned down a post because it was in Dublin.
    I also know someone who turned down a post because they didn't want to work in the particular organisation the post is in. I won't say where but will say that it wasn't a Government Department.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Rosen wrote: »
    I also know someone who turned down a post because they didn't want to work in the particular organisation the post is in. I won't say where but will say that it wasn't a Government Department.

One area stands out...

Apparently PAS are up to 23 on the panel now (source: AHCPS). Anyone from outside Dublin get an offer yet?

• Advertisement

Apparently PAS are up to 23 on the panel now (source: AHCPS). Anyone from outside Dublin get an offer yet?

that was the case about a month ago so very slow at present
    Haven't heard of any outside Dublin yet

any more info?

stoney silence for a few weeks now

Heard over the weekend that a few more have been placed. Apparently panel down near 30

• Registered Users Posts: 35 urban sprawl

I know of someone mid thirties who has been placed. Dublin assignment, existing civil servant.

I know of someone mid thirties who has been placed. Dublin assignment, existing civil servant.

even better news!

• Advertisement

It appears appointments from the PO1 panel have begun so that might lead to more PO vacancies

Does anyone know if any regional appointments have been made?

Does anyone know if any regional appointments have been made?

apparantly at least one made in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

How does the external versus internal work? Or do they just work down through the list for PO?

Maybenever wrote: »
    How does the external versus internal work? Or do they just work down through the list for PO?

if departments have an internal panel they must follow a ration of 2 external 1 internal

so 6 vacancies would be:
    1 external
    2 external
    3 internal
    4 external
    5 external
    6 internal

More news

clearance has reached to early 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

More news

It must be just for those interested in Dublin positions as I'm higher than that and haven't been contacted for clearance.

Nocrac wrote: »
    It must be just for those interested in Dublin positions as I'm higher than that and haven't been contacted for clearance.

Most likely

if departments have an internal panel they must follow a ration of 2 external 1 internal

so 6 vacancies would be:
    1 external
    2 external
    3 internal
    4 external
    5 external
    6 internal

In reality most Departments don't actually follow the sequence just the principle of 2 external to 1 internal which they attempt to balance over a year. Also posts filled through mobility at PO level count as an open fillings.

Iwhich they attempt to balance over a year. Also posts filled through mobility at PO level count as an open fillings.

they can end up with liabilities if they don't act too reasonable with the sequence

• Advertisement

Absolutely and this is where it can get messy.

More news

a month later and seems to be no further movement....anyone heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

I know there's been no movement in a month.

I know of a few retirements coming up over the Summer which should lead to some movement (hopefully).

there has been some movement today it seems

Appointments made to mid-40s

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruths41

A PQ from May 15th seems to imply they'll be looking to refresh this PO panel in the New Year. Does that sound right?

"To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform when a new round of applications will open for positions (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter." Willie Penrose TD
    Details Supplied
    Executive Officer, Higher Executive Officer, Administration Officers, Senior Staff Officers, Assistant Principal Officers and Principal Officers

"As the Deputy will be aware, the Public Appointments Service (PAS), is the independent recruiter of people for the civil service through open and interdepartmental competitions.
    While there are many factors affecting recruitment the most important are the expected number of staff who will leave in the near future, existing panels in place and the demand for staff based on the work to be carried out by departments/offices.
    I understand from PAS that it intends to hold the following competitions in 2018/2019;

Executive Officers Quarter 3 2018
    Higher Executive Officers To be decided
    Administrative Officers Quarter 3 2018
    Assistant Principal Officers Quarter 2 2018
    Principal Officers Quarter 1 2019

I would emphasise that these dates are subject to change.
    The grade of Staff Officer no longer exists in the civil service."

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bowiegal

That’s disappointing if true. That means the current PO panel will be just over 12 months old before they run another open PO competition rather than returning to the order of merit as they have been doing with the current AP panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bowiegal wrote: »
    That’s disappointing if true. That means the current PO panel will be just over 12 months old before they run another open PO competition rather than returning to the order of merit as they have been doing with the current AP panel.

What they've been doing for AP isn't great. Is it 2-3 years since they launched it? People have moved on in their careers and got loads of experience within that timeframe.

It's nearly 12 months since the last PO competition launched, and over 18 months by the time they do it again. I think that's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Haven’t seen an AP competition advertised and it’s practically the end of Q2, 2018 (the PQ says Q2). The comment on an EO competition is interesting considering PAS are scheduling four weeks of interviews for EOs starting in early August.

I would say all of those dates are “indicative” and only relate to the launch of competitions not the creation of panels. The current PO panel came from a competition that was advertised in June 2017, closing date July 2017, interviews in September 2017, appointments from December 2017 and still ongoing.

Meanwhile at least three Departments have had Internal competitions in recent months; one of which is at the interview stage now, one has just been completed and one has made 3-4 appointments from their panel.

There doesn’t seem to be any coherence or regulation to how it all works. That PQ answer is technically correct but completely ignores internal competitions, the apparent disregard Depts have for the Open panel and the age it takes to go from launching a competition to making appointments.

Advertisement