Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Principal Officer in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Pre-selection for PO Higher starts tomorrow - online video interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Nocrac wrote: »
    Pre-selection for PO Higher starts tomorrow - online video interview.

A video interview was used to shortlist for the AP higher early this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The panle has started just 1 person placed

around 5 have gone off panel as Counsellor

around 80 made the panel - so quite a high failure rate given around 200 were called to assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Riskymove wrote: »
    The panle has started just 1 person placed

around 5 have gone off panel as Counsellor

around 80 made the panel - so quite a high failure rate given around 200 were called to assessment

How do people assess the odds of them calling a second batch for interview/assessment centre? Are they likely to work through a panel of 80 in its lifetime? I believe they got up to about 120 in the previous panel.

Xofpod wrote: »
    How do people assess the odds of them calling a second batch for interview/assessment centre? Are they likely to work through a panel of 80 in its lifetime? I believe they got up to about 120 in the previous panel.

no idea but it seems unlikely in short term

• Advertisement

Latest from Union
    Principal Officer Competitions
    2017 Open PO Panel:
    A panel of 78 is effective since 21st November 2017. One person has been placed. The Association has informed DPER that it is desirable that a closure date is specified for future competitions. There is no closure date specified for the current panel. DPER advises that such panels usually exist for in or around a two-year period. There were 1639 applicants for the competition with only 9% of successful candidates from the private sector.

a handful of people now assigned

I appreciate with only 78 on panel that there may be only a few of us on Boards but any updates or news is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

Very much so, made the panel but lower down the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CalvinBalti

Latest from Union

Does that mean 9% of the 80 are external (about 7 people from outside made it)? Or am I reading this wrong?

Does that mean 9% of the 80 are external (about 7 people from outside made it)?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

a handful of people now assigned

Hi - First 10 off the panel are in clearance, some of these 10 already have formal offers. All 10 posts so far are in Dublin from a variety of Departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 windyout

Higher PO results are out. Its a thumbs down for me. Not surprised as I knew I bombed one of the 3 online interview questions.
    I did wonder afterwards if I should have sought the help of a HR type expert to help me prepare a script for the 3 interview questions. We were given the 3 questions a week beforehand so there was plenty of time. I presume that there will be another interview stage anyway so maybe its a moot point.
    Anyway not to worry - the main panel seems to be moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Yes

So if there are 7 on the PO panel do we know how many (if any) external (non existing civil servants) got selected on the Counsellor panel and on the PO (higher) panel?

adrem wrote: »
    So if there are 7 on the PO panel do we know how many (if any) external (non existing civil servants) got selected on the Counsellor panel and on the PO (higher) panel?

nothing official

I heard one outside person got counsellor

PO1 is still in progress

adrem wrote: »

Well I can name 1 of the 7 external who made the PO panel but didn't make the higher PO ;)

Does anyone know of any more movement on the panel? Up to number 10 was the last I heard....

Rosen wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any more movement on the panel? Up to number 10 was the last I heard....

that was last I heard

I am not sure how many of the 6 gone to Counsellor Panel are beyond number which would lower numbers further.

I would not expect more than say 4 or 5 a month tbh

anyone heard of any more assignments?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

anyone heard of any more assignments?

I heard up to around 15

Yeah, 15 in/gone through clearance, some placed already, some have turned down posts - all offers made so far are to the Dublin panel.

• Advertisement

apparently now up to 30 in clearance

That has reached 30 a hell of a lot faster than the PAS predicted. Having said that, I know a few people in the top 30 who have declined offers so it doesn't translate to 30 appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rosen wrote: »
    Having said that, I know a few people in the top 30 who have declined offers
    Just curious - why did they decline?

I know there are people in regions who aren't interested in Dublin jobs

A few reasons I can think of.
    For non existing public servants money may be an issue (starting at the bottom of the scale is certainly a factor)
    Maybe they didn't like the offer - I'm not sure how this works. If they don't like the offer are they allowed a second offer and if so when?, i.e. do they go back to the end of the queue or do they get the option of accepting the next post that arises?
    Maybe they got something else in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

windyout wrote: »
    A few reasons I can think of.
    For non existing public servants money may be an issue (starting at the bottom of the scale is certainly a factor)
    Maybe they didn't like the offer - I'm not sure how this works. If they don't like the offer are they allowed a second offer and if so when?, i.e. do they go back to the end of the queue or do they get the option of accepting the next post that arises?
    Maybe they got something else in the meantime

More than likely location. People knew the package that was on offer when they applied - and the vast majority will already be Civil Servants.

If you turn down a location you can't get another offer as far as I know. But you might have a second location that you applied for.

some on the panel will have gotten a promotion throught other means (internal etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bowiegal

How do the PO panels work? Do you get one refusal or are you off the panel once you decline an offer? Interesting that they are down to 30 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Bowiegal wrote: »
    How do the PO panels work? Do you get one refusal or are you off the panel once you decline an offer? Interesting that they are down to 30 already.

Off the panel for a specific location if you refuse. So if you are offered Dublin and refuse you won't be offered further Dublin posts. But you may still get offers from other parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Does anyone know the current status of the PO HR panel? Interviews were due to take place in January, as of December 2017.

Advertisement