Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

It looks like a cross between Skyrim and the Last of us. A huge departure from the previous games. Any word on release?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like the way it's going. I mean, he has killed all the Greek Gods, so it's only natural that they have to move it to some other world. I'd also imagine that this will allow them to reset his powers, what with being in Norse mythology now, i'd imagine his Greek powers won't work. And it looks like it's going the route of the recent Tomb Raider games, exploration, hunting, etc.

Although, i'm also a bit hesitant about the kid. I seriously hope half, or any, of the game will not revolve around minding him. Time will tell! Either way, it'll be a day 1 purchase for me, I loved the previous GoW games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wish they hadn't stuck with Kratos. His Angry Mr Angry McAngry routine has well and truly outstayed it's welcome and it looks like they're going to stick with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I kind of liked the Angry McAngry routine in GoW2. He completed his character arc in the first game so there was no were else to go from there except head first into silliness. It wasn't until the kind of crappy 3 when for some reason it tried to be serious when it got stupid.

The new God of War certainly looks different from the rest in the series... yet somehow manages to look like every other third person game out at the moment. The combat also kind of looked like a poor mans Dark Souls. I'll remain sceptical until there are hands on impressions.

Also the setting just seemed all kinds of bonkers and made no sense. I'm all for that if they want to play it crazy but with the child character I can see them trying to do something serious which is just going to come across farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Surely the kid gets offed early doors and you set off on a revenge mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Surely the kid gets offed early doors and you set off on a revenge mission.

Nope the kid is apparently going to be in it for most of the game and has assigned buttons for co-op actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wish this co op stuff died a death or kept to squad based multi player games. God of War should be and always has been a single player story game

Nope the kid is apparently going to be in it for most of the game and has assigned buttons for co-op actions.

I really hope they do it right. This is enough to turn me off the game. If it somehow managed to be anything like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, well then I'm willing to give that a go. But the reason that was so good was because it was two adults, like Half Life 2. The Last of Us and TT's The Walking Dead are the only games I remember playing where a secondary character is a child and isn't a pain in the hole! I'll keep my hope up, as I know now that if the child is going to be in it for the most of the game, it's probably a set up for future games, with mini-Kratos being the main character. Or it's setting mini-Kratos up for a death so Kratos can get Greek Angry again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I really hope they do it right. This is enough to turn me off the game. If it somehow managed to be anything like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, well then I'm willing to give that a go. But the reason that was so good was because it was two adults, like Half Life 2. The Last of Us and TT's The Walking Dead are the only games I remember playing where a secondary character is a child and isn't a pain in the hole! I'll keep my hope up, as I know now that if the child is going to be in it for the most of the game, it's probably a set up for future games, with mini-Kratos being the main character. Or it's setting mini-Kratos up for a death so Kratos can get Greek Angry again!

It would be cool if it was an ageing child in the game, as in you do a few missions, beef him up then see his a few years later, tougher.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I kind of liked the Angry McAngry routine in GoW2. He completed his character arc in the first game so there was no were else to go from there except head first into silliness. It wasn't until the kind of crappy 3 when for some reason it tried to be serious when it got stupid.

The new God of War certainly looks different from the rest in the series... yet somehow manages to look like every other third person game out at the moment. The combat also kind of looked like a poor mans Dark Souls. I'll remain sceptical until there are hands on impressions.

Also the setting just seemed all kinds of bonkers and made no sense. I'm all for that if they want to play it crazy but with the child character I can see them trying to do something serious which is just going to come across farcical.
    TBF at least they are attempting something different.

Game got seriously stale come GOW 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Something different would've been a new IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Something different would've been a new IP.

New IP in 2016? LUL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm guessing folk forgot Santa Monica Studio were working on a new IP that was cancelled back in 2014 and led to a series of layoffs and departures which included GoW3 Director Stig Asmussen?

I guess the upside in terms of the new God of War title is that Cory Barlog, who originally took over the series from David Jaffe is back on board and in charge of this. He was interviewed about the change in direction of the series a little over a week ago. Looks like he may have even taken a bit of inspiration from Jaffe following the release of Ascension...hopefully not the neck snapping bit in this case though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Recent gameplay looks great for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The start is meant to be amazing and have some epic fights early on.... and for that reason I am not gonna spoil it for myself.
    Release day purchase... only a month away. I can wait

Same as Sean, and I've been doing it across every media I enjoy, watch the reveal trailer, watch the next trailer with some gameplay, cut off all media for that until I get it. Best way to enjoy stuff imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I've been avoiding as much about it at this stage. Want to be completely surprised about it. From the few bits I have seen though, it looks utterly amazing.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I've been avoiding as much about it at this stage. Want to be completely surprised about it. From the few bits I have seen though, it looks utterly amazing.

Same as, done a slight bit of reading the previews but that's about it.
    It needed a change in direction. I'm liking the look of it.

I believe there are no cut scenes, the game is one continuous shot.

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    I believe there are no cut scenes, the game is one continuous shot.

Thats what they said on the gameplay video anyway.

Reviews out tomorrow, can't wait to get my hands on this easily my most anticipated of the year.

Potential game of the year contender i reckon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You just know something sad will happen at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This will be my very first GoW game, very excited.

Vicxas wrote: »
    This will be my very first GoW game, very excited.

I'd possibly recommend reading the Wikis for the story of 1, 2 & 3. I'd imagine there'll be references.

When's it out? Jaysus the year is flying

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When's it out? Jaysus the year is flying

Friday week, April 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Pre-ordered earlier from Smyths!
    €50, which is a great price for a new 1st party Sony game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'd possibly recommend reading the Wikis for the story of 1, 2 & 3. I'd imagine there'll be references.

Aye, watched the very very compressed video on Youtube :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Advertisement