Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Brilliant, well done! Great reports, and a super PB! (Two PBs? :p)
    Any plans for what's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

eyrie wrote: »
    Brilliant, well done! Great reports, and a super PB! (Two PBs? :p)
    Any plans for what's next?

Cheers - was pleasantly surprised !

I’m doing the bray cliff run in a couple of weeks - just to try something new .

Then I have the Dundalk tenk followed by the Drogheda tenk

Trying not to focus on target times but aiming to run strong and enjoy it ! Love the drogheda race although it’s a tough course I love running on home ground !

Haven’t done any real speed training in a while so getting back into it next week . Looking forward to it but dreading it at same time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

With those HM times a sub 50 10k should be very doable.

I ran a couple of 1:59:4x HMs last year and then went sub 50 on a 10k for the first time after many attempts down through the years.

Best of luck.

Technique wrote: »
    With those HM times a sub 50 10k should be very doable.

I ran a couple of 1:59:4x HMs last year and then went sub 50 on a 10k for the first time after many attempts down through the years.

Best of luck.

Well done on breaking sub 50!

I have been fit enough lots of times to do it - but on the day I mess it up. The recent halves were run with no pressure and no target time- I was unstressed starting , chatted lots and even cracked a smile . So I’m trying to increase my fitness and run some races for “ fun” and hope that somehow it wil fall into place. A very scientific approach !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

They’re some nice PBs - well done and welcome back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on the HM PBs. Nice to see you back logging too :)

I feel like my training has been a bit odd in the last couple of weeks - no real focus and a busy social life

Wednesday 21st of March

A strange session here

10 min warm up @ 6:14 and 10 min cool down @ 6:00

15 *90 sec @LT pace (approx ten mile pace) with 30 secs run recovery in between

Found this really difficult to pace and the constant speeding up and slowing down played havoc with my breathing. Fast sections averaged more around ten k pace.

24th of March

4k warm up @ ten min mile

5 * 1 min hills (7:17,7:11,7:01,6:46,7:08) pace in min miles

4k cool down at 9:30 min mile

25th of March

13k LSR @9:33 (average HR 137 so not too fast)

27th of March

5 1k repeats at V02 max (average 4:35 min K )
    same time rest in between

2k warm up and cool down

29th of March

dreadful 30 mins on treadmill very slow and lots of stopping

31st of March

Bray cliff run

God it was freezing . The start was incredibly tough and the end was just cruel. The cliff bit in the middle was good fun and involved a lot of puddle jumping. Good to do something new despite the weather. Finished in 57 11 . Happy with that as first non road race and not exactly going flat out - comfortably hard.

1st of April

Slow 10k @9:40 min miles

3rd of April

3.5 k warm up @10:15
    6*300 m (1:11,1:11,1:10,1:10,1:08,1:07)

7 min cool down (cut short because breathing not good - asthma playing up)

And that's it up to date!!!

5th of April

Session from the deepest darkest realms of hell.

I think I have to move foreign . I can’t take much more of this weather !

4*1 mile repeats @ VO2 max. (Should be Approx 4:38 mink)

After a 2k warm up @6:05 the fun began.

Running along the coast on a non sheltered route is super fun . The bitter wind pushing against you offering further resistance to enhance the work out!

I have a nasty head cold and being asthmatic windy conditions are tough in the best of times . The pace was no where near estimates on the first two into the wind and I really struggled . It felt torturous and I most certainly didn’t enjoy it .

Repeat 1: 4:51 mink
    Repeat 2: 4:49 mink

Repeat 3: 4:40. Mink
    Repeat 4: 4:44 mink

The second 2 had wind behind - at this stage I was beaten from the first 2.

A slow crawl back to the car of 2.5 k @ 6:20 brought the session to a close .

Legs were tight and aching before I even stopped running ! I never warmed up for the entire run. What a night

I need sunshine.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    5th of April

I think I have to move foreign . I can’t take much more of this weather !

I need sunshine.

I had these thoughts last night. It was grimmer than grim. I had to wear a T-shirt, long sleeved top and fleece and the wind was still cutting. Thankfully, it was a session, so I managed to get a bit warmer once I finished the warm up but easy runs are no fun of late.

No doubt the sun will be splitting the rocks the next time we race :rolleyes:

That's a serious session, I'm in awe. What kind of recovery did you do between the intervals?

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I had these thoughts last night. It was grimmer than grim. I had to wear a T-shirt, long sleeved top and fleece and the wind was still cutting. Thankfully, it was a session, so I managed to get a bit warmer once I finished the warm up but easy runs are no fun of late.

No doubt the sun will be splitting the rocks the next time we race :rolleyes:

I like take it !! I do my best running in summer!

ariana` wrote: »
    That's a serious session, I'm in awe. What kind of recovery did you do between the intervals?

The recovery should be same time walk/slowjog. But it was so cold that we started running again as soon as our breathing went back to normal - looking at garmin I’d say 3/4 min walk breaks . We are normally more scientific but it was too damn cold. I’m actually quite stiff today so I’d say the effort didn’t reflect the pace and I was going flat out .

The recovery should be same time walk/slowjog. But it was so cold that we started running again as soon as our breathing went back to normal - looking at garmin I’d say 3/4 min walk breaks . We are normally more scientific but it was too damn cold. I’m actually quite stiff today so I’d say the effort didn’t reflect the pace and I was going flat out .

I would imagine you would be quite wrecked after that. It's a monster session. It was windy last night too so i'd ignore the splits too and go on effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

4 X 1 mile at VO2 Max!! Where did that come from. I definitely wouldn't be able for that! Sorry for not having followed your log to this point but what is your target race?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    4 X 1 mile at VO2 Max!! Where did that come from. I definitely wouldn't be able for that! Sorry for not having followed your log to this point but what is your target race?

Hi Skyblue46

The club coach loves vo2 max sessions - mile repeats into hurricanes are a bit OTT in my opionion mind! There was some build up - there were 1ks the week before !!!

I don’t have a target race - I can’t seem to break targets - the ole brain gets in the way so concentrating on enjoying the buzz of running and racing and hoping the pbs just happen . Not scientific but between bottling it and bad luck it’s the plan for now . The sub 50 is still the holy grail but have resigned myself to not targeting it! I reckon a ten mile and 5k pb this year will do me fine !

7th of April : 16k @ 6:06 (hilly)
    8th April : 8k@ 6:04

Weekly total :41k

Legs a wee bit tired now. Might have to dig out the roller later .

1st official 10k of the year on 25th of April .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

7th of April : 16k @ 6:06 (hilly)
    8th April : 8k@ 6:04

Weekly total :41k

Legs a wee bit tired now. Might have to dig out the roller later .

1st official 10k of the year on 25th of April .

Best of luck with it. What race is it?

Dundalk 10k followed quickly by the Drogheda 10k(formally Boyne 10k)

Dundalk is a nice potential pb course although can be lonely and a bit breezy by the coast.

Drogheda 10k is not a pb course and has horrific hills . However it’s my home town and the atmosphere is phenomenal so it’s a cant miss event.

Dundalk usually sets me up nicely for Drogheda!

So last nights training was grand but once again cold windy and wet. All training into the wind has to be helping my fitness . It better be.

The plan called for a 45 min fartlek with 2-4 min intervals . This is good fun in a group . We take turns in leading the fast bits , you choose distance and speed and nobody can pass the leader.

This means there is s good variety in speed. Recovery afyer speedy sections was unscientific lasted between 1-2 mins and was slow (approx 6:30-7mink)

2k warm up @6:00 mink
    1. 3 mins @ 5:00 mink
    2. 3mins@ 4:51 mink
    3. 2.5 mins@ 4:50 mink
    4. 4 mins@ 4:51 mink
    5. 2.5 mins@ 4:30 mink
    6. 3mins@ 4:40 mink
    7. 3 mins@ 5:15
    8. 4 mins@ 5:05
    9, 4 mins@ 5:10

Cool down ten mins @6:40
    Total distance : 11.2k

We had a newbie in the group so the last few were slower than they would be normally but this was probably a good thing .

Anyways I felt strong for this session .

Thought I could fit in a park run or something to gauge fitness before Dundalk but it’s not to be . I’ll just have to wing it.

So last nights training was grand but once again cold windy and wet. All training into the wind has to be helping my fitness . It better be.

The plan called for a 45 min fartlek with 2-4 min intervals . This is good fun in a group . We take turns in leading the fast bits , you choose distance and speed and nobody can pass the leader.

This means there is s good variety in speed. Recovery afyer speedy sections was unscientific lasted between 1-2 mins and was slow (approx 6:30-7mink)

2k warm up @6:00 mink
    1. 3 mins @ 5:00 mink
    2. 3mins@ 4:51 mink
    3. 2.5 mins@ 4:50 mink
    4. 4 mins@ 4:51 mink
    5. 2.5 mins@ 4:30 mink
    6. 3mins@ 4:40 mink
    7. 3 mins@ 5:15
    8. 4 mins@ 5:05
    9, 4 mins@ 5:10

Cool down ten mins @6:40
    Total distance : 11.2k

We had a newbie in the group so the last few were slower than they would be normally but this was probably a good thing .

Anyways I felt strong for this session .

Thought I could fit in a park run or something to gauge fitness before Dundalk but it’s not to be . I’ll just have to wing it.

No need for another run to gauge fitness, you're flying fit! If you felt strong during a session like this and after reading about your mile repeats last week there can be no doubt. You're in great nick :-)

• Advertisement

No need for another run to gauge fitness, you're flying fit! If you felt strong during a session like this and after reading about your mile repeats last week there can be no doubt. You're in great nick :-)

Cheers.

I’m the king of training - not so good at translating into races though.

I am torn between just running and hoping for the best or planning a race and pace.

No idea what a pace should be do thinking run and see what happens and plan the second race better .

Having a log daily commute is advantageous for log keeping . Not so much for sleep and rest .

Last nights session kept me awake into the early hours my head was buzzing. I wish I was half that alert now !

Anyways the session : 5*1ks at Vo2 max .(for the record I have no idea here what my vo2 max is , But have adopted a 7:30 min mile /4:38 mink as that’s the number required for a sub 50)

Whoops I forgot to complain about the weather so take it that there was a horrific coastal wind.

Warm up : 2.7k@6:25mink

#1 4:40 Paced nicely by someone else felt comfortably hard

#2 4:31 Not paced. Tough . Stupid wind

#3 4:30 Ignored faster start. Finished strong

#4 4:26 Raced last 100m cause could.

#5 4:33 Tougest one , no loop into wind, done

Cool down : 1.6k @ 6:25 mink

Walking/slow jog sametine recovery between reps.

These are the fastest I have ever done these and probably the most comfortable . I’m generally not competitive (in running) but sometimes it’s just fun to pass the ones who hate to be beat .

Legs a bit tight this morning .

Having a log daily commute is advantageous for log keeping . Not so much for sleep and rest .

Last nights session kept me awake into the early hours my head was buzzing. I wish I was half that alert now !

Anyways the session : 5*1ks at Vo2 max .(for the record I have no idea here what my vo2 max is , But have adopted a 7:30 min mile /4:38 mink as that’s the number required for a sub 50)

Whoops I forgot to complain about the weather so take it that there was a horrific coastal wind.

Warm up : 2.7k@6:25mink

#1 4:40 Paced nicely by someone else felt comfortably hard

#2 4:31 Not paced. Tough . Stupid wind

#3 4:30 Ignored faster start. Finished strong

#4 4:26 Raced last 100m cause could.

#5 4:33 Tougest one , no loop into wind, done

Cool down : 1.6k @ 6:25 mink

Walking/slow jog sametine recovery between reps.

These are the fastest I have ever done these and probably the most comfortable . I’m generally not competitive (in running) but sometimes it’s just fun to pass the ones who hate to be beat .

Legs a bit tight this morning .

Another great session. Out of curiosity do you get many really easy miles in (over 6:15 min/km) during the week?

Another great session. Out of curiosity do you get many really easy miles in (over 6:15 min/km) during the week?

I normally run 4 times a week .

Two sessions , a long run and an easy run.

The long run and the easy run I try to keep in the aerobic zone on my watch (garmin 235)

So this did normally between 6-610 min miles .

Recovery 5k done after Thursday session @ 7 mink

Followed by a long run this morning16k @ 6:15

Wouldn’t normally run three days in a row but I’m away tonight and won’t get to run again until Tuesday .

Legs are tired and ready for the rest!

Weekly total =41k

Last nights session was off the plan - we were supposed to be running a race route . Couldn’t make it in time so decided to test the legs at tenk race pace .

So planned - 3*2k at tenk pace(4:58-5:00)

1 mile @ 6:15

First 2k: Into the lovely wind - 4:53,4:49

Then we ran 1k @6:00

Second 2k: wind mostly on backs but at coast so still gusty 4:52,4:49

3 mins@ 6:46

Third 2k: Wind everywhere , 4:47,4:56

The last one was paced badly with a too fast start into the wind .

Cooldown : 10 mins@ 6:15

Obviously these were faster than required pace and doesn’t bode well pacing skills .

They felt like no way can I do this for tenk - and eek do even want to!!

Haven’t raced a tenk in a while and dreading it now .

Last nights session was off the plan - we were supposed to be running a race route . Couldn’t make it in time so decided to test the legs at tenk race pace .

So planned - 3*2k at tenk pace(4:58-5:00)

1 mile @ 6:15

First 2k: Into the lovely wind - 4:53,4:49

Then we ran 1k @6:00

Second 2k: wind mostly on backs but at coast so still gusty 4:52,4:49

3 mins@ 6:46

Third 2k: Wind everywhere , 4:47,4:56

The last one was paced badly with a too fast start into the wind .

Cooldown : 10 mins@ 6:15

Obviously these were faster than required pace and doesn’t bode well pacing skills .

They felt like no way can I do this for tenk - and eek do even want to!!

Haven’t raced a tenk in a while and dreading it now .

Nice session. Bodes well, I think. They're supposed to feel hard ;)

I agree with Huzzah i think it bodes very well. You were faster than sub 50 10k pace on all reps, that was a tough session and you nailed it. The wind certainly didn't help, i did short 2 min intervals last night too and they were all over the place.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nice session. Bodes well, I think. They're supposed to feel hard ;)

Exactly.

Don't forget the magic of the taper! Everything is easier on fresh legs and in a race environment.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Exactly.

Don't forget the magic of the taper! Everything is easier on fresh legs and in a race environment.

Hopefully it works it’s voodoo! The race is this day next week - from a taper perspective I was just planning in doing easy runs now - 10k tomorrow , 12k sat and then 5k Sunday?

I'm no expert but I think the advice usually is run the same number of days as usual but cut way back on the volume and intensity. I usually follow the race week schedule from the Boards graduate plan, which goes like this:

Mon: 20 min recovery or OFF
    Tue: 45 min very easy
    Wed: 6x1 min @ Vo2 w/ 2 min recovery
    Thurs: 45 min very easy
    Fri: OFF
    Sat: 20 min recovery
    Sun: Race

Obviously shift the days if your race is on a Wednesday.
    I think I might just have done strides instead of the Vo2 max session in the past too, can't remember. Didn't realise your race was so soon! That's exciting though, I think it sounds like you'll go great!

Thanks Eyrie ,

I tweaked that little so hopefully job done .

Thursday 19th
    ———————-
    10k @ 6:05

This was a very uncomfortable run . Windy - a warm wind this time for variety , throat gritty and breathing raggedy. Legs heavy and felt that this was as fast as I could go .

Was inspired to start taking antihistamine- seeing spring has finally arrived .

Sat 21st
    ————-

10k @5:47 which include 6*1 min pick ups in and around V02 max.

Going hard felt just as bad as going slow . Easier then Thursday but still not loving it.

Sunday 22nd
    ———————
    8k@ 6:02

The evening after the night before . Family party couldn’t be avoided . Didn’t go nuts .

Tried to keep run in aerobic zone . First 3k couldn’t run slow enough to get heart rate down - into a very gusty wind .(average pace = 6:30, average HR - 158)

I just gave up after that trying to stay green and just ran comfortably . The 4K was faster (6:05) but still the same HR

The second 4K was with the wind on my back (average pace 5:47 , HR 143) and dedicated to Eluid my hero.

I did try to concentrate on form , and remembered to smile .

I’m putting the high HR down to the Haribo I had before hand !!!

Anyways why is it impossible to have a good run in the countdown to a race ? God forbid you go into a race with confidence .

I am sub 50 fit but it really depends on which me turns up on the day . And oh yeah the stupid wind.

I think the important thing for me will be to get a decent warm up. Start a little bit slower then the required pace and hope for the best .

That bloody wind . I had two awful tenks on the trot and swore of running. Well not really because I like food . But racing yes racings sucks.

Dundalk 10k

A Very Serious Race Report

A Sub 50 10k is my thing. The monkey on my back. My bear bug . My Achilles heel. My one that keeps getting away. You get the picture.

So I have given up . Not targeting it anymore. Just trying to get fitter and fitter and hope one day it just happens.

I am well fit enough for sub 50 , I am , I actually am . My training has gone well. King of training me!

Yesterday was windy . Now coming from an Irish Coastal Club we are used to wind. Windy wind, Sure I can’t remember the last run without wind. Still it hurts me.

I am asthmatic and have to work harder in wind to regulate my breathing. That’s ok though – Paula Radcliffe holds a 15 year old world marathon record. (Go Ventolin!)

My breathing was slightly off before the race but thought bound to be nerves.

I had a half plan to not charge off, keep steady till 5k and then pony home.

Sigh. Steady start kept the 1st two kms at a sub 50 pace . Wind blowy. Breathing Breathy. The congestion of the third k slowed me down slightly. My loud raspy snotty breathing seemed to part folk like the red sea, people were slowing down or gazelling it out of there just to avoid running along side me. Morto.

By the 5th k I was in trouble - I needed my puffy puffer . But first I had to run up a long hill – fast. Clever what!!

After a little walk I was ready to go again. By the end of the 6th Km, Darth Vader had returned and even recalling Eluids Smiley face couldn’t save this race for me.

I pushed as hard as I could, plenty in the legs but the lungs were done. May have taking a little too much Ventolin. (I don’t have shakey hands this morning really)

Apologies to all the folk I met after . Yes I am a grumpy yoke.

It’s a great pb course but just wasn’t my day. Bring on the Drogheda 10k – and the hill of death. I can’t possibly have a worse race than that !

But it’s ok -I’ve licked the wounds.

Star of the Sea 5k Race Report 2018

And the sun shone on Stamullen ……….

It was a particularly pleasant evening . The race shades were in position . I was channelling my inner Paula. I was stoked. Well not really , it was sunny mind and I did have shades on. Oh and I did look kinda a little cool .

Anyways the starting line loomed ahead in a real top of the celebrations box type of way . It was squashy n sweaty in the line up , heaving with local club types bantering and indulging in some enthusiastic jostling . The start of this local 5k had a strange jolly competitive air about it . For once it felt like a race – you know where you race actual people not Sally Strava. Anyways after a bit of heave hoo-ing we were off!! The wild hunt had begun! Ok my 5 step plan . Go gadget plan.

Step 1 – Don’t Evil Knievel straight off the bat.

Despite the hounds of Hell surging either side of me , I held my pace and effort steady. I topped the 1st hill hardly heaving having regurgitated my Freddy mantra for the occasion. (One two Freddy’s coming for you , ..... nine ten never sleep again)
    (4:48 1st k)

Step 2- Remember to smile a bit – it helps with aerodynamics.(or was that the Paula shades)

I was smiling on the inside. Honest.

Step 3- Treat the first 3k like a Tuesday Tempo

The first 2.5 k was comfortably hard, too cushy me thinks. I was weirdly cosy for the speed I was motoring at and this was making me nervous . A race going well...........?Thankfully before that little git in the noggin gained control I found myself matching footfalls with a fellow orange clad comrade who pushed me up that hill out of the college. It hurt a tad, and think I may have been sweating slightly but I was at the bloody three k mark still keeping my pace and I wasn’t dead !

(2k 4:50, 3k 4:46)

4- Run like hell

There was a downhill with cheers from sidelined injured oranges. Cheers Guys! That 4th km seemed oddly fast – had we entered a time warp? We merged with two more oranges and like a giant tangerine tsunami sped to the bottom of the hill. That mountain loomed. The tangerine trio kept pushing, I was caught in the riptide and had no choice but to go with . Freddy was back (the mantra) , my quads and lungs burned like his face as I fought against every instinct to stop punishing myself. Through an orange haze I could see the finish line and an end to my pain. With one final push out slithered a bright bloodied new PB!. Thanks Neptune Paula Freddy and the tangerines!

4K 4:40,5k 4:37

Step 5 – Enjoy it

Who wouldn’t enjoy a nice gentle run on a sunny summers night in the lovely Meath countryside

23:47 time on clock . Delighted who knew I could run that fast up hills and all. Whoo whoo

Super running and great report, well done! Sub 50 10k isn't far away! There's a few of us now around these parts with very similar 5k times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ariana` wrote: »
    Super running and great report, well done! Sub 50 10k isn't far away! There's a few of us now around these parts with very similar 5k times :)
    Yes, me being one of them, and I will point out I've managed the sub-50 so it's totally possible for you Bluesquare! Practicing the pain was a key element for me!

Thanks guys .

I have had a pretty unremarkable week or so training since . Well running has seemed harder.

Thursday 31st May
    —————————
    6 mile with 30Mins tempo at around MP pace.

I couldn’t pace this to save my life . It was at midday and a little warm. And running at all seemed tough so if I slowed I was running 6:30 mink but when I sped up I was averaging at about 5:20- so just went with that in the end because my head was wrecked speeding up and slowing down . This run was harder then the race . Don’t know why a recovery wasn’t scheduled ! Moved my V02 max dial on phone down by two places !

2nd of June
    ——————
    LSR- another scorcher of a run in the middle of the day .
    Ten miles @6:20.
    Twas grand if not a little hot.

3rd of June
    —————-
    8k@5:46 min k

I set off to do an easy run and to keep in the green zone . At an easier pace my heart rate was that of an elephants couldn’t get it past 120-130.
    As I am trying to get a more slimline silhouette for my up and coming holiday this would be a disaster on the calorie front and hardly worth my while . I picked up so I could get into the green zone and got my heart rate to average about 138. It didn’t feel that easy . Maybe the watch is beeped !

Tuesday 5th June
    —————————
    Fartlek with long picks ups and some random running over dunes.

Tenk@ 5:44 average . A pretty run but hated every second of the soft sand running . Impossible to go fast and I spent the run trying my hardest not to break something .

Thursday 7th June
    ————————-
    I’m trying to add some Shaun T into my routine to tone up my upper body . I use the T25 workouts . I picked rip it circuit this particular day because it uses weights and the mat and cuts out on cardio . It’s still hiit though.

Anyways I did this for 25 mins and then set off to do my “easy” 8k run

Omg this was horrific . Again it was around midday and hot but still . I tried to keep my hr in the green zone but no matter how slow I went it kept wondering into orange . In the end I just ran to end torture regardless of zones.

Average pace 6:10 . Average HR 151

Friday 8th June
    ————————
    LSR- 15k at 6:29. Very enjoyable scenic run , chatty and easy . Maybe too easy because calorie count awful and average heart rate was at its lowest yet : 129.

Anyways good to have it out of the way . !!

Training has been patchy and a bit random . Not training at the moment for anything in particular so no focus . Have signed up for a couple of half’s and the Frank Duffy in September so after my holidays I can have more specific workouts ! Main focus now is to make sure the holiday gear fits.

10th June
    ——————

10k with 5k tempo. Another warm run.

Warm up 2k : 6 min k
    5k - I tried to do half marathon fantasy pace but couldn’t get the pace right so kept slipping around tenk pace (5:05,5:02,5:01) then on the reverse journey with a bit more advantageous terrain the legs went faster ( 4:52, 4:45) .

I was spent after this cursing myself for not briniging liquid . I took a little breather , then jogged home @ ten min mile.

No idea after this how the beep I’d ran so fast for that 5k!

12th of June
    ——————

Tenk @ 5:44 . MP tempo .

Warm up 6:10 for 2k
    6k at 5:36 min k
    Cool down @ 6:00 for 2k

Heart rate through the roof . Watch gave me 4 days recovery (average 169) . Only checked at end - it didn’t feel that tough considering I was chatting non stop for whole thing !

14th of June
    ——————-

Having a lazy week and only managed to drag my self out for 5k . This turned into a progressive run:(6:13,5:38,5:26,4:50,4:28)

Now the last k is not really 4:28 as I stopped my watch to cross the road . The last 2k is also nice from a decline prospective so a tad misleading .

Not very good planned running I know .

16th June:
    —————
    LSR: Lovely chatty run at 6:00 min k . The last k was very speedy as i was trying to avoid getting locked out (last k @ 4:52) so I’ll claim it as a fast finish !! ( average heart rate 146)

17th of June
    ——————
    Recovery run - 8k@6 min k

Just looked at hr not pace for this run . (Average 142) .

Disastrous week of running in that there wasn’t really any. I tripped over the roller and bashed my self againt the side of the bed and corner of radiator hurting my left ankle, right calf and of course my pride . Anyways turns out nothing long lasting or serious just a bit of bruising .

Anyways I tested out my Bambi legs on Thursday with any easy two miler - before getting stuck into hard core racing on Friday . 🀣

I’m too lazy to write two race reports so just copied and pasted the below from the club site . It’s a bit cleaner and not as whiny as I would like and contains local refencences to streets etc .

Race Report
    ———————
    Initially I was excited about the race in my own backyard - I knew the route well - happy days !

A sweet pb at star of the sea took the pressure off - and I had convinced myself that that sub 24 was a weird anomaly anyway. I had glared at the splits so many times they are now encrypted on my eyelids and I see them float by as I drift off to sleep .

So far no great expectations. Except I did quite fancy a sub 23 30 for bragging rights.

Anyways Friday’s suck . Friday’s are for lounging and drinking Rioja and avoiding soccer on TV (seriously I’m so over it) . But no I had to finish work and not change into pjs.

Note : the following is not sandbagging ( making excuses before the race for potential bad performance)

I did feel rather awful - I won’t go into details but ladies you can get with the program !

So I had down graded my fanciful notions to just getting around the course.

So off we went. Bother ! How did I get so far up the front? Slow down you mad yoke! Up past Bolton Square we went , the hill at the top hadn’t been this steep since me granny made me wheel her trolley home from the market . Jasus my breath was ragged already. As I turned onto to Patrick Street I glanced at my watch 4:34 mink what the hell was I doing? I pulled back slowing slightly. With my breathing now under control I didn’t even chance a peak at Magdalene Tower for fear the nuns head would turn my legs to stone

I seemed to settle in to a nice rhythm keeping an eye on an orange clad buddy ahead for overtaking later.

First k clocked at 4:43 so looking good ! Kept a nice trot going as we meandered past the glen whilst trying not to think about previously suppressed teenage memories of said glen .

Jolted out of reminiscing by a friendly callout (by an old buddy who I had shared many adventures around those parts ) Anyways 2nd k clocked at 4:41 so on a roll.

Then the race began . God I hate the ballymackenny road . It goes up and up before fading into Boyle O Reilly and a nasty little incline . Who knew? Not bloody me anyway .

The 3k marker was in the wrong place . (not where I expected it to be) The loose plan was to push hard to 3k then have a rest as I sauntered down hill . That downhill didn’t come for another gasping torturous 500ms !

I had slowed down considerably now (4:55,4:51 3k,4K). The steep hill down the north road brought much needed oxygen into my lungs . My little orange friend was getting away from me - and another friendly tap on my shoulder saw another team mate cruise by at the 4K mark.

Ok only 1k left and who needs oxygen anyway . The rope walk is an actual hill! . It truly is - and it hurts when you run up it. I so didn’t look at the tower , stone legs not needed now . Free fell down Magdalene street and turned awkwardly into fair street . That’s a bloody long street. The clock loomed tick tocking away. I could pb by a couple of secs if I turned myself into a human rocket . Zoom ! Boom . A 4 sec pb . I’ll take it Goodnight! (4:28)

———————————

Anyways I finished in 23:44 which according to my watch was a 4 sec pb .

I was happy because I was feeling lousy starting and I wasn’t in racing mode whatever that is .

Retrospectively though I should have caught my buddy in front and stuck with her (she was 10 secs ahead at the end ) , I should have paid more attention to the splits on the 3rd , 4th k - another 5 secs off each was probably doable .

I’m glad sub 24 wasn’t a one off . I think 5k is a nice distance for me because i have less time to sabotage myself .

I’m off on holidays now on Thursday for a coulple of weeks . I have signed up for back to back half’s in September - so summer training will be dedicated to them . (Ratoath and Dublin) My fantasy half is sub 150 but that number scares me slightly so I have decided to aim for 1:52 which is 5:20 mink . I’d like a nice half to set me up for a potential bucket list marathon attempt next year!!

The World Cup has sabotaged my running career and I don’t even like football .

Two weeks of sea, pool and football (with the obligatory pints of local beer) has decreased fitness but on the flip side my legs feel fresher - I’ll know tomorrow when I do a long run for first time in two weeks !

I went for a 5 miler on the morning I before I left for the airport . I thought I was horrifically hot. Yikes

Heart rate was sky high 163 bpm - with average pace 5:44. Laps all over the place .

Anyways I hate early mornings - I get up for a commute at 6 normally so really begrudge getting out of bed on holidays . This leads to some fun hot weather training !

30th June - 5k @ 5:54 (135 bpm) a measly 22 degrees . No bother after a bit of beer the night before

1st of July 1.5 mile @ 6:41 mink 21 degrees

2nd of July 7k@ 5:58 ,average hr 138

3rd July 10k - attempted a bit of a tempo. Called it Marathon pace - not really what I was aiming for but that’s what the legs were giving me . To be fair it was 27 degrees and I had now 6 days of holidaying under my belt .

Campsite had an excellent dirt track of approx 2k - not flat but a tough dirt trail of varying elevation .

So 6k @ 5:33 and 4K warm up cool down @ 6:00 min k.

Managed to avoid half a match so that was a plus.

6th of July - Another late morning run at 26 degrees - 5k at 5:44 . Tough

7th of July - a heroic tenk @ 27 degrees . Kept it slow . 6:10 mink . (Hr 138)

10th of July - 10k @ 6:02 (another hot one )

11th of July , 4 mile @5:48 mink

All in all I just ran , heart rate seemed lower then it should be for perceived effort but strangely when I have had a coulple of beers it’s always low .

I didn’t drink a huge amount ( from an Irish perspective ) but had beer everyday - 3/4 the night before most runs . Slept in then and got stuck with high temps . Hate the thoughts of training for a marathon on a holidays ! ( next year )

Anyways back to the grind stone now and lovely “ cool” running

• Advertisement

LSR completed Saturday ten miles @6:05. A bit faster then required but was too busy chatting so wasn’t looking at pace . Legs a bit tired at end . Average heart rate was 147 bmp

Did a 4 mile race on Sunday but paced a friend for sub 40 - so a nice recovery in ten min miles .

Weird one - it felt hard at times to go slow but my heart rate was high for perceived effort and pace (average 155) with over ten minutes in the red zone !! Glad I wasn’t racing ! Nice to participate in a race without pressure or nerves !

Awful week of running /not running last week . I was all gung-ho after the holidays on Tuesday ready to rule the world. It was not to be - started off fine - had planned a hmp tempo. Warmed up for 2k @6:10 then sped up to 5:20. Got about 500m and ankle seemed to just buckle like I had twisted it or something . Couldn’t put foot down for a bit - walked the Pain off and started running again. - ran another 50m and bang pain again. Walked again , no pain . Decided to walk home and not do anything stupid .

Poked around at ankle/foot no swelling or bruising and couldn’t find the spot when not moving . It seemed to be more side of foot then ankle or beside ankle . Anyways I have had it before and it’s always just miraculously disappeared so was hopeful same would happen here . I think it might be a cramp of some type .

Anyways chanced a run on Thursday - it felt grand so did 14k -should have been 16 but don’t remember the excuse now . 10k @ 6:10 with a 5:35 4K steady finish (up an incline more or less)

I brought my runners away with me for a weekend in cork - mananaged a run on the beach of tenk. Pace all over the place as the surface was dead dodgy for a bit. More or less a 6k marathon pace tempo with a warm up and cool down .

Didn’t get to run for the rest of the weekend and ate drank and was merry instead .

Now I think I’m back to reality and holiday mode is gone . I’m about a half a stone heavier than three weeks ago and feeling every pound whilst running . I just don’t do moderation !

Decided to go nuts ad run on Monday to make up for the naughtiness last week.

Monday
    ————-
    7k @ 6:20. Nice run despite hot conditions . (Average HR 134 bmp)

Ok so HR seems normal enough

Tuesday
    —————

Dunno what this was . Supposed to be 8 mins*2 @ LT which is about ten mile pace .

My ten mile pace is shocking fast these days :

1st interval: 4:55
    2nd interval: 4:45

Warm up and cool down @6:10. 9k altogether .

This felt ok but HR through the roof average was 168 bmp and this was fairly consistent from warm up.

Thursday
    ——————
    4 mile hmp tempo @ 5:20 average with 1 mile warm up and cool down @ 6:10

Again hr way higher then would be normally a bit better then Tuesday but 156 average- all of the tempo section was over 167. This is high for me at this pace .

My resting heart rate has gone up as well and my v02 on watch is tanking .

My guess is probably low iron again so I’ll double my dosage for a week or so and the go to doc if no improvement . Could be thyroid doing weird stuff .

Maybe the watch is broken

Friday
    ————
    This running lark continued on the dodgy hr trend . I couldn’t run slow enough to keep in the aerobic zone . It felt ridiculously slow and at points I was barely moving trying to decrease Hr

7k@6:35 . Average rate 148.

Saturday
    —————

LSR - 17k@6:12.I seemed to have a return to form here . A chatty easy run - steady enough spilts. Hr a little higher then it would be normally (144). First time running three days in a row in a while - enabled by slower paces (maybe)

Sunday - rest

Couple of things going on last week.

The 1st thing being the heart rate issue - this was beginning to wreck my head . The runs just didn't feel that hard. I was walking to work on Monday and flicked onto the heart rate - it was over 140!! Now I knew fine well that it wasn't actually so I consulted Dr. Google.

Dr. Google tells me there is a glitch on Garmin 235. It can lock heart rate to cadence. So if they match at some stage Garmin may just lock HR to cadence.

So turn your watch on and off and if that doesn't work you need to let your watch die .

Low and behold my heart rate is fine.

Anyways just shows you how watches can mess with your head.

Monday 30th

Easy lunch time run 5 mile@ 10 min mile (average bpm =136)

My calf/leg niggled on and off during this run . I stretched and rolled it on Monday night.

Tuesday 31st

I was supposed to do a fartlek with 10 min WU /45 min fartlek/ten min cool down

Only got as far as 25 mins on the fartlek and had to stop - calf was really screaming and felt like it could pop any minute.

Poked the crap out of it when I got home but couldn't find the offending spot. No swelling or bruising

On Wednesday I ran around panicking but couldnt get an appointment with my physio until the following Tuesday.

He did advise if it felt ok and all the strength was there then to try a light jog on Friday and if ok do long run

So Friday managed 5 mile easy so did long run on Sat (12 mile @ten min mile) (average bmp 143). No issues with leg .

On Sunday my leg in general started complaining again so rested. Yesterday I decided to run again (probably wasn't wise but beginning to think I was making it up) - did a 5mile MP tempo

So went to physio this morning - apparently I have scar tissue in my leg causing the problems - and at most a small level 1 tear but unlikely cause full strength seemed to be there and no swelling or bruising . He gave me ultrasound and send me on my way with instructions to stretch and roll etc etc .

So I can keep running but need to keep away from speed and hills . Keep it steady whatever that means.

So all systems go I suppose for half marathon . Running out of excuses anyway.

So despite all the moaning and complaining im still racking up a good number of miles so hopefully that will all help with fitness.

Wednesday 8th Aug

Just did a 5k slow @ 10 min mile to shake out the legs post Physio.

Thurs 9th

MP tempo - 2k warm up@ 10 min mile
    8k @ average 8:55 min mile (5:32 mink)
    1k cool down @ 10 min mile

Total: 6.75 mile

Sat 11th of August

Long run 20k @ 9.46 min mile (including a 2k pick up at HMP)

The pick up was tough and breathing felt too heavy. A very hilly route with an uphill finish of about 2k!

Sunday 12th of August

4 mile recovery @10:15 min mile

So a nice 31 miles in the bag this week.

I think highest mileage all year .

Tuesday 14th of August

HMP pace tempo

So 2k warm up @6:10mink/10min mile
    6k @ 5:10 mink at roughly 8:20 (5:08,5:11,5:06,5:11,509:,5:11)
    2k cool down @6:10

The tempo felt comfortable enough - It was a bit faster than I was aiming for (5:15/8:30). Everynow and again my brain would drift and the pace either sped up or slowed right down . A couple of times I felt a bit panicked to be over lap pace and once I made myself relax I was ok. I was trying to go with comfortably hard but my pacing is very bad. Im sure the slowing down and speeding up is not good for your energy systems .

For the record I'm aiming for a HM PB - 152/153

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I think you should aim for sub 1.50... :angel:

I forgot to mention I’m being a complete idiot and have signed up for 4 races in a row . Don’t ask it’s related to a club league .

First up Frank Duffy - the plan here is to warm up for 2 mile then , hmp for 5 mile then cool down

Second is the rotoath half 6 days later .

The plan in Meath is to warm up for three mile chance 8 mile at hmp pace , then the rest cool down

Down the weekend after is a local 5k which I’ll just run .

Then the actual race is the Dublin half ! So the goal may change by the time I get here . I think 153 is probably achievable .

I know it’s all ott . But when I take these things too seriously it never seems to work out . Obviously my mental game needs a lot of work .

Wednesday 15th August
    ———————————-
    6 mile @ 6:14 . This felt hard probs should have been slower but was in a rush

Friday 17th August
    —————————-
    6 mile progression run . Average pace 5:33 mink

Felt like I should have been going faster at the end but last k before cool down I only managed 4:58 min k.

Saturday 18th of August
    ———————————-
    20k long run @ 6:00.

This included hmp pick ups. The route was incredibly hilly so we ran the pick ups when the surface was flat - couldn’t face charging up hills and wanted to test the pace .

So we ran km 13,14 at 5:12 km , km 16,17 @ 5:10 and the last mile @ 5:15 which was fairly good going as the bit in between was a hill !

The pick ups felt ok as the rest of the running was done around 6:20 .

30 miles in total completed for the week . So happy with that

Monday 20th of August
    ———————————-
    Tenk @ 5:34 . This was a tricky route with lots of ups and downs . Hard on the lungs . Raining but so sticky ! Pace was a bit all over the place (6:06,5:51,5:42,5:37,5:21,5:35,5:36,5:17,5:22,5:11) and I was just running with the purpose of getting it done.

This week was going to be tricky as up north with the kids for a final hurrah before back to school. So just ran when I could do mileage will be down slightly on last couple of weeks

Tuesday 21st
    ——————-
    4 mile @ 5:24

Bit of a progression run here - 5:55,5:25,5:29,5:26,5:06,5:06,5:00

Should have been a slow run but knew I wouldn’t be running for at least another 2 days .

On way back now and wondering how I’m going to fit in a long run !!!

Long run done on Friday evening . (Ten mile) Had to do this solo so went a little faster than normal cause no chatting . Unpleasant run - I so wanted it to be a confidence boost. Running in town means lots of stopping for traffic lights so lots of rest and even took a gel which was worse than useless . I have been gorging myself non stop all summer , carrying an extra half a stone which really hurts . Running 25/30 miles a week and still putting on weight is quite an achievement .

My kids party on Saturday followed by an adult celebration had me not running until Sunday evening . Warm up 2k@6:09, 8k fantasy marathon pace tempo @ 5:28 ish.

An unusual running week for me - wasn’t following my half baked plan and just running .

26.4 miles done . A bit lower than last couple of weeks but busy beeing!

Next couple of weeks will be weird running wise . Doing frank on Sunday but not “racing” but using it as a hmp tempo so need to be fresh enough but don’t want to sacrifice a huge amount of mileage .

Going to try tenk Tuesday (hmp tempo) and Thursday (slow) with 4 mile (slow) added in Wed or Friday . Which will give me 26.4 again.

Anyways due to haphazard summer training I’m not feeling particularly strong at the moment and can’t wait to get stuck into some good speed sessions after this month.

I was felt fit in June . So need to get back there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement