Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Brilliant, well done! Great reports, and a super PB! (Two PBs? :p)
    Any plans for what's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

eyrie wrote: »
    Brilliant, well done! Great reports, and a super PB! (Two PBs? :p)
    Any plans for what's next?

Cheers - was pleasantly surprised !

I’m doing the bray cliff run in a couple of weeks - just to try something new .

Then I have the Dundalk tenk followed by the Drogheda tenk

Trying not to focus on target times but aiming to run strong and enjoy it ! Love the drogheda race although it’s a tough course I love running on home ground !

Haven’t done any real speed training in a while so getting back into it next week . Looking forward to it but dreading it at same time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

With those HM times a sub 50 10k should be very doable.

I ran a couple of 1:59:4x HMs last year and then went sub 50 on a 10k for the first time after many attempts down through the years.

Best of luck.

Technique wrote: »
    With those HM times a sub 50 10k should be very doable.

I ran a couple of 1:59:4x HMs last year and then went sub 50 on a 10k for the first time after many attempts down through the years.

Best of luck.

Well done on breaking sub 50!

I have been fit enough lots of times to do it - but on the day I mess it up. The recent halves were run with no pressure and no target time- I was unstressed starting , chatted lots and even cracked a smile . So I’m trying to increase my fitness and run some races for “ fun” and hope that somehow it wil fall into place. A very scientific approach !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

They’re some nice PBs - well done and welcome back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on the HM PBs. Nice to see you back logging too :)

I feel like my training has been a bit odd in the last couple of weeks - no real focus and a busy social life

Wednesday 21st of March

A strange session here

10 min warm up @ 6:14 and 10 min cool down @ 6:00

15 *90 sec @LT pace (approx ten mile pace) with 30 secs run recovery in between

Found this really difficult to pace and the constant speeding up and slowing down played havoc with my breathing. Fast sections averaged more around ten k pace.

24th of March

4k warm up @ ten min mile

5 * 1 min hills (7:17,7:11,7:01,6:46,7:08) pace in min miles

4k cool down at 9:30 min mile

25th of March

13k LSR @9:33 (average HR 137 so not too fast)

27th of March

5 1k repeats at V02 max (average 4:35 min K )
    same time rest in between

2k warm up and cool down

29th of March

dreadful 30 mins on treadmill very slow and lots of stopping

31st of March

Bray cliff run

God it was freezing . The start was incredibly tough and the end was just cruel. The cliff bit in the middle was good fun and involved a lot of puddle jumping. Good to do something new despite the weather. Finished in 57 11 . Happy with that as first non road race and not exactly going flat out - comfortably hard.

1st of April

Slow 10k @9:40 min miles

3rd of April

3.5 k warm up @10:15
    6*300 m (1:11,1:11,1:10,1:10,1:08,1:07)

7 min cool down (cut short because breathing not good - asthma playing up)

And that's it up to date!!!

5th of April

Session from the deepest darkest realms of hell.

I think I have to move foreign . I can’t take much more of this weather !

4*1 mile repeats @ VO2 max. (Should be Approx 4:38 mink)

After a 2k warm up @6:05 the fun began.

Running along the coast on a non sheltered route is super fun . The bitter wind pushing against you offering further resistance to enhance the work out!

I have a nasty head cold and being asthmatic windy conditions are tough in the best of times . The pace was no where near estimates on the first two into the wind and I really struggled . It felt torturous and I most certainly didn’t enjoy it .

Repeat 1: 4:51 mink
    Repeat 2: 4:49 mink

Repeat 3: 4:40. Mink
    Repeat 4: 4:44 mink

The second 2 had wind behind - at this stage I was beaten from the first 2.

A slow crawl back to the car of 2.5 k @ 6:20 brought the session to a close .

Legs were tight and aching before I even stopped running ! I never warmed up for the entire run. What a night

I need sunshine.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    5th of April

I think I have to move foreign . I can’t take much more of this weather !

I need sunshine.

I had these thoughts last night. It was grimmer than grim. I had to wear a T-shirt, long sleeved top and fleece and the wind was still cutting. Thankfully, it was a session, so I managed to get a bit warmer once I finished the warm up but easy runs are no fun of late.

No doubt the sun will be splitting the rocks the next time we race :rolleyes:

That's a serious session, I'm in awe. What kind of recovery did you do between the intervals?

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I had these thoughts last night. It was grimmer than grim. I had to wear a T-shirt, long sleeved top and fleece and the wind was still cutting. Thankfully, it was a session, so I managed to get a bit warmer once I finished the warm up but easy runs are no fun of late.

No doubt the sun will be splitting the rocks the next time we race :rolleyes:

I like take it !! I do my best running in summer!

ariana` wrote: »
    That's a serious session, I'm in awe. What kind of recovery did you do between the intervals?

The recovery should be same time walk/slowjog. But it was so cold that we started running again as soon as our breathing went back to normal - looking at garmin I’d say 3/4 min walk breaks . We are normally more scientific but it was too damn cold. I’m actually quite stiff today so I’d say the effort didn’t reflect the pace and I was going flat out .

The recovery should be same time walk/slowjog. But it was so cold that we started running again as soon as our breathing went back to normal - looking at garmin I’d say 3/4 min walk breaks . We are normally more scientific but it was too damn cold. I’m actually quite stiff today so I’d say the effort didn’t reflect the pace and I was going flat out .

I would imagine you would be quite wrecked after that. It's a monster session. It was windy last night too so i'd ignore the splits too and go on effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

4 X 1 mile at VO2 Max!! Where did that come from. I definitely wouldn't be able for that! Sorry for not having followed your log to this point but what is your target race?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    4 X 1 mile at VO2 Max!! Where did that come from. I definitely wouldn't be able for that! Sorry for not having followed your log to this point but what is your target race?

Hi Skyblue46

The club coach loves vo2 max sessions - mile repeats into hurricanes are a bit OTT in my opionion mind! There was some build up - there were 1ks the week before !!!

I don’t have a target race - I can’t seem to break targets - the ole brain gets in the way so concentrating on enjoying the buzz of running and racing and hoping the pbs just happen . Not scientific but between bottling it and bad luck it’s the plan for now . The sub 50 is still the holy grail but have resigned myself to not targeting it! I reckon a ten mile and 5k pb this year will do me fine !

7th of April : 16k @ 6:06 (hilly)
    8th April : 8k@ 6:04

Weekly total :41k

Legs a wee bit tired now. Might have to dig out the roller later .

1st official 10k of the year on 25th of April .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

7th of April : 16k @ 6:06 (hilly)
    8th April : 8k@ 6:04

Weekly total :41k

Legs a wee bit tired now. Might have to dig out the roller later .

1st official 10k of the year on 25th of April .

Best of luck with it. What race is it?

Dundalk 10k followed quickly by the Drogheda 10k(formally Boyne 10k)

Dundalk is a nice potential pb course although can be lonely and a bit breezy by the coast.

Drogheda 10k is not a pb course and has horrific hills . However it’s my home town and the atmosphere is phenomenal so it’s a cant miss event.

Dundalk usually sets me up nicely for Drogheda!

So last nights training was grand but once again cold windy and wet. All training into the wind has to be helping my fitness . It better be.

The plan called for a 45 min fartlek with 2-4 min intervals . This is good fun in a group . We take turns in leading the fast bits , you choose distance and speed and nobody can pass the leader.

This means there is s good variety in speed. Recovery afyer speedy sections was unscientific lasted between 1-2 mins and was slow (approx 6:30-7mink)

2k warm up @6:00 mink
    1. 3 mins @ 5:00 mink
    2. 3mins@ 4:51 mink
    3. 2.5 mins@ 4:50 mink
    4. 4 mins@ 4:51 mink
    5. 2.5 mins@ 4:30 mink
    6. 3mins@ 4:40 mink
    7. 3 mins@ 5:15
    8. 4 mins@ 5:05
    9, 4 mins@ 5:10

Cool down ten mins @6:40
    Total distance : 11.2k

We had a newbie in the group so the last few were slower than they would be normally but this was probably a good thing .

Anyways I felt strong for this session .

Thought I could fit in a park run or something to gauge fitness before Dundalk but it’s not to be . I’ll just have to wing it.

So last nights training was grand but once again cold windy and wet. All training into the wind has to be helping my fitness . It better be.

The plan called for a 45 min fartlek with 2-4 min intervals . This is good fun in a group . We take turns in leading the fast bits , you choose distance and speed and nobody can pass the leader.

This means there is s good variety in speed. Recovery afyer speedy sections was unscientific lasted between 1-2 mins and was slow (approx 6:30-7mink)

2k warm up @6:00 mink
    1. 3 mins @ 5:00 mink
    2. 3mins@ 4:51 mink
    3. 2.5 mins@ 4:50 mink
    4. 4 mins@ 4:51 mink
    5. 2.5 mins@ 4:30 mink
    6. 3mins@ 4:40 mink
    7. 3 mins@ 5:15
    8. 4 mins@ 5:05
    9, 4 mins@ 5:10

Cool down ten mins @6:40
    Total distance : 11.2k

We had a newbie in the group so the last few were slower than they would be normally but this was probably a good thing .

Anyways I felt strong for this session .

Thought I could fit in a park run or something to gauge fitness before Dundalk but it’s not to be . I’ll just have to wing it.

No need for another run to gauge fitness, you're flying fit! If you felt strong during a session like this and after reading about your mile repeats last week there can be no doubt. You're in great nick :-)

• Advertisement

No need for another run to gauge fitness, you're flying fit! If you felt strong during a session like this and after reading about your mile repeats last week there can be no doubt. You're in great nick :-)

Cheers.

I’m the king of training - not so good at translating into races though.

I am torn between just running and hoping for the best or planning a race and pace.

No idea what a pace should be do thinking run and see what happens and plan the second race better .

Having a log daily commute is advantageous for log keeping . Not so much for sleep and rest .

Last nights session kept me awake into the early hours my head was buzzing. I wish I was half that alert now !

Anyways the session : 5*1ks at Vo2 max .(for the record I have no idea here what my vo2 max is , But have adopted a 7:30 min mile /4:38 mink as that’s the number required for a sub 50)

Whoops I forgot to complain about the weather so take it that there was a horrific coastal wind.

Warm up : 2.7k@6:25mink

#1 4:40 Paced nicely by someone else felt comfortably hard

#2 4:31 Not paced. Tough . Stupid wind

#3 4:30 Ignored faster start. Finished strong

#4 4:26 Raced last 100m cause could.

#5 4:33 Tougest one , no loop into wind, done

Cool down : 1.6k @ 6:25 mink

Walking/slow jog sametine recovery between reps.

These are the fastest I have ever done these and probably the most comfortable . I’m generally not competitive (in running) but sometimes it’s just fun to pass the ones who hate to be beat .

Legs a bit tight this morning .

Having a log daily commute is advantageous for log keeping . Not so much for sleep and rest .

Last nights session kept me awake into the early hours my head was buzzing. I wish I was half that alert now !

Anyways the session : 5*1ks at Vo2 max .(for the record I have no idea here what my vo2 max is , But have adopted a 7:30 min mile /4:38 mink as that’s the number required for a sub 50)

Whoops I forgot to complain about the weather so take it that there was a horrific coastal wind.

Warm up : 2.7k@6:25mink

#1 4:40 Paced nicely by someone else felt comfortably hard

#2 4:31 Not paced. Tough . Stupid wind

#3 4:30 Ignored faster start. Finished strong

#4 4:26 Raced last 100m cause could.

#5 4:33 Tougest one , no loop into wind, done

Cool down : 1.6k @ 6:25 mink

Walking/slow jog sametine recovery between reps.

These are the fastest I have ever done these and probably the most comfortable . I’m generally not competitive (in running) but sometimes it’s just fun to pass the ones who hate to be beat .

Legs a bit tight this morning .

Another great session. Out of curiosity do you get many really easy miles in (over 6:15 min/km) during the week?

Another great session. Out of curiosity do you get many really easy miles in (over 6:15 min/km) during the week?

I normally run 4 times a week .

Two sessions , a long run and an easy run.

The long run and the easy run I try to keep in the aerobic zone on my watch (garmin 235)

So this did normally between 6-610 min miles .

Recovery 5k done after Thursday session @ 7 mink

Followed by a long run this morning16k @ 6:15

Wouldn’t normally run three days in a row but I’m away tonight and won’t get to run again until Tuesday .

Legs are tired and ready for the rest!

Weekly total =41k

Last nights session was off the plan - we were supposed to be running a race route . Couldn’t make it in time so decided to test the legs at tenk race pace .

So planned - 3*2k at tenk pace(4:58-5:00)

1 mile @ 6:15

First 2k: Into the lovely wind - 4:53,4:49

Then we ran 1k @6:00

Second 2k: wind mostly on backs but at coast so still gusty 4:52,4:49

3 mins@ 6:46

Third 2k: Wind everywhere , 4:47,4:56

The last one was paced badly with a too fast start into the wind .

Cooldown : 10 mins@ 6:15

Obviously these were faster than required pace and doesn’t bode well pacing skills .

They felt like no way can I do this for tenk - and eek do even want to!!

Haven’t raced a tenk in a while and dreading it now .

Last nights session was off the plan - we were supposed to be running a race route . Couldn’t make it in time so decided to test the legs at tenk race pace .

So planned - 3*2k at tenk pace(4:58-5:00)

1 mile @ 6:15

First 2k: Into the lovely wind - 4:53,4:49

Then we ran 1k @6:00

Second 2k: wind mostly on backs but at coast so still gusty 4:52,4:49

3 mins@ 6:46

Third 2k: Wind everywhere , 4:47,4:56

The last one was paced badly with a too fast start into the wind .

Cooldown : 10 mins@ 6:15

Obviously these were faster than required pace and doesn’t bode well pacing skills .

They felt like no way can I do this for tenk - and eek do even want to!!

Haven’t raced a tenk in a while and dreading it now .

Nice session. Bodes well, I think. They're supposed to feel hard ;)

I agree with Huzzah i think it bodes very well. You were faster than sub 50 10k pace on all reps, that was a tough session and you nailed it. The wind certainly didn't help, i did short 2 min intervals last night too and they were all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nice session. Bodes well, I think. They're supposed to feel hard ;)

Exactly.

Don't forget the magic of the taper! Everything is easier on fresh legs and in a race environment.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Exactly.

Don't forget the magic of the taper! Everything is easier on fresh legs and in a race environment.

Hopefully it works it’s voodoo! The race is this day next week - from a taper perspective I was just planning in doing easy runs now - 10k tomorrow , 12k sat and then 5k Sunday?

Advertisement