Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iD Mobile Gone bust

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

In what way,

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

JAMCAR wrote: »
    In what way,

It's not monitored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Their official line over on the three forum was that it's 'not supported' ie if you have a problem they won't help but that if you don't go over your data allowance they don't charge.

This is different to the t&cs which say it's not permitted. But as above it doesn't seem to be monitored except for people who aren't on all you can eat plans and go over their data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Three do all you can eat (unlimited, fair use policy of 60gb but you don't get charged if you go over, they just threaten to 'throttle' but I've never had it happen) for E20 prepay every 28 days. Only three to three calls are included but you have the E20 credit to spend.

30gb three sim only plan is E30, eir is E25 for six months, then E35.

If 15gb would do you, lycamobile is E15

Thanks for your detailed reply.

15gb would probably actually do.

ID really was so much cheaper than everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

JAMCAR wrote: »
    Is Tethering available on 3

Yes, and I used it for over a year with no issues.

Now use their mobile bb cos it's handier and has a 750gb allowance, but never had any issue with tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

CeilingFly wrote:
    Now use their mobile bb cos it's handier and has a 750gb allowance, but never had any issue with tethering.

How much is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

iba wrote:

I believe Carphone Warehouse are doing some deal for ID customers, with Eir, might be worth looking at too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭listermint

iba wrote: »
    Thanks for your detailed reply.

15gb would probably actually do.

Eir is 15 EUR pm for 12 months with 15gb of data and had 4g unlike lyca.

Rolling 30 day contracts.

Go into an eir store .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

august12 wrote: »
    How much is this?

€30/month and comes with decent modem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hey guys,

Wrote up a piece on this if yizzer interested

https://goosed.ie/id-mobile-liquidation/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

I switched from ID to Eir today. My 4g with ID used to come in between 4 and 8mbs, My eir 4g today ranged from 28 to 60mbs. Cant complain about that!

foxatron wrote: »
    I switched from ID to Eir today. My 4g with ID used to come in between 4 and 8mbs, My eir 4g today ranged from 28 to 60mbs. Cant complain about that!

And cost with ID? And cost now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Will hold out till near the end, looks like Virgin Medias offering isnt too bad for existing customers, probbaly go that route myself, tesco or 3 next options, but Tesco isnt 4G and 3 I think has limits on actual call usage?, may as well avail of as much of the free usage till the end, just dont forget to port or do it too late or you could lose your number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was with VM for a while. Their data coverage was dire.
    Moved to eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virgin have significant issues with bulk SMS providers. Doesn't sound like an issue until you realise that most 2FA/MFA systems won't work - so you may not be able to use your work VPN, your bank, Google if you get locked out, etc, etc.

L1011 wrote: »
    Virgin have significant issues with bulk SMS providers. Doesn't sound like an issue until you realise that most 2FA/MFA systems won't work - so you may not be able to use your work VPN, your bank, Google if you get locked out, etc, etc.

Can you explain all your abbreviations please and 'bulk SMS providers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

YUAND wrote: »
    It was how I chose to pay a functioning company for the phone but why should I be paying a bankrupt company for a phone that I can't even use on their service anymore for the next 20 odd months. I wonder what the liquidator will come back with in terms of payment collection.

But you're paying phone and tarriff currently....all it means is youre paying phone to Id and tariff to whoever youre going to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

bmm wrote: »
    Well IDmobile , its not as simple as that as you have broken the contract, not me ! If you don't honour the contract, neither will I . Sue me !!

They haven't broken the contract, and as soon as they do, the company will cease to exist. Your contract regarding the handset element of your contract will remain the same and be renegotiated with the liquidator.
    A company winidng down does not allow you to get something for which you have not fully paid for free.

The entitled attitude of some people when things like this happen is absolutely pathetic.
    YUAND wrote: »
    The continuation of payments for phones is appalling and leaves people ridiculously out of pocket when getting a new plan e.g. if I get a Vodafone €30 sim-only plan I still have to pay that plus my iD phone payment moving me up to €50-60! Ridiculous!

The company is being wound down. They are not answerable for this. They have gone out of business. It is not their fault that there will no longer be someone offering the same service (as distinct from the handset repayment) at the same price, in the same was as if the newsagent around the corner sells Milk for €1 and goes out of business and it's €2 everywhere else. Not the newsagent's fault.

You'd swear they were out to get you both and went out of business deliberately to piss you off.

--

As an aside, and some helpful info for people, ID were a virtual operator utilising the O2 Network (as distinct from the Three network, they were seperate infrastructure).

The other virtual operators using the same infrastructure are Tesco, 48, Lyca and Virgin. Three will probably eventually merge everything but for now, generally speaking, these networks should offer you the exact same coverage as with ID, while you might have a different experience (better or worse) moving to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

iba wrote:
    And cost with ID? And cost now?

ID was costing me 20 euro p/m with 7 gbs of data. Eir is only 15 euro p/m for 12 months on a 30 day rolling contract with 15gb of data. Just did a speed test there and got 78mbs. Drumcondra area

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

iba wrote: »
    Can you explain all your abbreviations please and 'bulk SMS providers'.

Two factor / multi factor authentication. And basically the companies that your bank, bin firm etc use to send you texts

You also can't enter competitions etc usually. Basically they do voice and data and a vague attempt at text

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

Tesco is now 4G and afaik does not have limits on call usage.

Are you sure? Only 3g and 2g mentioned on their website and somebody who uses Tesco mobile also confirmed to me today that no 4g as yet. Even though there are rumours they will have it in May?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cyril42

Anybody got any ideas on how to use up unused phone credit other than making endless phone calls. I was on their €15 sim only plan and have a credit balance of over €180. Would hate to see it going to the receiver. Think i will give Eir a go on their €15 sim only plan. I was with Tesco before i went to immobile and thought their coverage wasn't great and they only offered 3G.

cyril42 wrote: »
    Anybody got any ideas on how to use up unused phone credit other than making endless phone calls. I was on their €15 sim only plan and have a credit balance of over €180.

You could donate it to charity by sending texts to 50300

e.g. text HOME to donate €4 to focus
    WELLY to donate to RNLI

theres a list of them here https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/discover/the-easy-way-to-support-irish-charities-this-christmas-766592.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I believe Carphone Warehouse are doing some deal for ID customers, with Eir, might be worth looking at too

Isn't ID owned by Carphone?

MOH wrote: »
    Isn't ID owned by Carphone?

Both owned by the same parent company. (Dixons Carphone, also owns Currys)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just checked my emails. The phone was listed separately on the one contract, but I, I'm sure like other customers, have one direct debit and one monthly payment. Personally I can see why they would ask me to continue the monthly amount for the phone, but it does leave a bad taste as this means I must only go with a sim-free plan. This means I will end up paying a higher net monthly amount through no fault of my own.

Sim only plans are cheap as chips

Advertisement