Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey - 20 February 2018 - 3Arena

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morrissey/2018/3arena-dublin-ireland-33ee1075.html

I think 'I Bury The Living' is a good song, but it didn't work in an arena for me. How Soon Is Now was absolutely brilliant. 'Jacky's Only Happy ' sounded great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Really enjoyed last night, much more so than the last time he was in the 3Arena.

I had taken a look at the setlist from last week's Scottish gigs and thought it was very underwhelming on paper. Worked really well in person though! Was very happy with my spot in the crowd too - no chatters around me, people swaying and singing along and bopping heads but no flailing arms or over-enthusiastic drunks - I sound like an auld vumman, I know.

His voice sounded great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

He said that the pictures of Dame Street were from the 40s and only a few people would recognise it from then
    I didn't notice any pictures of Dame Street in the 40's :confused:

My take on it- it was before "Home is a Question Mark" & he said something like "there's a big Question mark on Dame Street, which at least 2 of you might have heard of (sarcasm)......."

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Wheeker wrote: »
    I didn't notice any pictures of Dame Street in the 40's :confused:

My take on it- it was before "Home is a Question Mark" & he said something like "there's a big Question mark on Dame Street, which at least 2 of you might have heard of (sarcasm)......."

Could be wrong but it was the image projected on the backdrop during Home Is A Question Mark - and then afterwards he said it was Dame St in 1946, or something.

As an aside, a few people commented around me that it wasn't a photo of Dame St at all - it was Grafton St! Way too narrow to be Dame St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

bikubesong wrote: »
    Could be wrong but it was the image projected on the backdrop during Home Is A Question Mark - and then afterwards he said it was Dame St in 1946, or something.

As an aside, a few people commented around me that it wasn't a photo of Dame St at all - it was Grafton St! Way too narrow to be Dame St.

This.

I've no idea if it was Dame St or not but that's what he claimed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Review-Morrissey-at-the-3Arena-Dublin/402462.htm

I thought it was a cracking gig, Speedway, Jack The Ripper and Hold on to your friends were just super. The new album tracks really played well.
    I think the Elvis opener was very flat and a poor way to launch a gig, so he should drop that, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
    Awful crowd buzz where I was standing but sure that’s standard now. Didn’t stop me enjoying it.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Review-Morrissey-at-the-3Arena-Dublin/402462.htm

I thought it was a cracking gig, Speedway, Jack The Ripper and Hold on to your friends were just super. The new album tracks really played well.
    I think the Elvis opener was very flat and a poor way to launch a gig, so he should drop that, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
    Awful crowd buzz where I was standing but sure that’s standard now. Didn’t stop me enjoying it.

Yeah there's no need for the Elvis opener or The Pretenders cover

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yeah there's no need for the Elvis opener or The Pretenders cover

Replace them with two classic solo or smiths songs and everyone's happy!

Replace them with two classic solo or smiths songs and everyone's happy!

Absolutely, no need for filler with his back catalogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Absolutely, no need for filler with his back catalogue!

I don't mind him changing things up a bit if he wants to I mean the pretenders song he done quite good job on but still it's Morrissey he doesn't need to sing covers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I've been at quite a few Morrissey gigs down through the years.

Dublin several times. Belfast. Killarney.

I think he has a serious back catalogue of solo material. I have found the last 2 albums to be quite bland....just not to my taste....although I understand that others may really like those albums. The last Dublin gig didn't appeal to me either.

His voice sounds great, his band sound great....the set list though is poor....just my view.

A few songs that I think he could add to his set list that would please me....boxers, lifeguard sleeping girl drowning, trouble loves me, alma matters, you're the one for me fatty, youngest was the most loved, I have forgiven Jesus.....so many others to choose from....so many crowd pleases.

As for the smiths numbers....we'll I now go to These Charming Men and The Smyths gigs....well worth checking out.

This is the last Moz gig I will ever see.......oh no I've changed my mind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

There was a mini altercation where I was, some girl ended up on the ground and covered in drink, anyone else see what that was about?

This is what I didn't enjoy about it. Gig was great, morrissey super as usual but this girl was very drunk, don't think she realised who was on the stage. She spilled her drink all the time. Soaked a girl a few times, got us with her drink. Then got the girl again and that was it, next thing she was planted on to the floor. Then the two of them scrapping on the ground and the one who was overly drunk got up and said 'friends' to put her arms around the other one. She was extremely annoying and whenever we tried to move she seemed to be there. Otherwise it was great. Ps, i was right next to her right. I was the blonde one with a young son. Spoke to a few women around me so could have spoken to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

He sounded great. Why the covers? Hes one of the great songwriters. Crowd around me crap. Hipsters(gandalf beards/jam jar glasses )and young ones. "0oh hes not actually that miserable heard one saying.

Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thoroughly enjoyed the gig despite the crowd being a bit "dry",

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

He sounded great. Why the covers?

Probably because he's a **** deluded bellend. Them covers are songs he still aspires to. At least he still has ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Probably because he's a **** deluded bellend. Them covers are songs he still aspires to. At least he still has ambition.

Bitter much?
    Smiths songs shyte on anything The Pretenders ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My only disappointment from this gig was Speedway; I was hoping the keyboard player would sing in Spanish as he does in a lot of gigs recently, it sounds fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Bitter much?
    Smiths songs shyte on anything The Pretenders ever did.

Dont know about that . Chrissie has one of the most wonderful voices in rock (and yes this is a cover) :

In addition - if you look at the timing of that particular song - (Back in the Chain Gang) - released in 1982, with a tone and sound and jangly guitar that sounds quite like what was to come from The Smiths......... For sure it was a song on his radar at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not into the covers at all, but he enjoys them I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm not into the covers at all, but he enjoys them I guess!

Well, he spends the day in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jack the Ripper?

Oh ffs - can't believe I missed that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jack the Ripper?

Oh ffs - can't believe I missed the gig and specifically that song :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Another connection with the Pretenders is that Johnny Marr played with them for a time after he left The Smiths.

I don't think that Morrisey had this in mind though. Or maybe he did and it is a reach out to Johnny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Another connection with the Pretenders is that Johnny Marr played with them for a time after he left The Smiths.

I don't think that Morrisey had this in mind though. Or maybe he did and it is a reach out to Johnny ;)

Chrissie is a huge supporter of Peta and longtime animal rights activist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilverPenney

Thought it was good myself, it started well and there was a good buzz. After How Soon is Now and Munich air disaster I felt like there was a bit of a lull, Who Will Protect Us From the Police? and World Peace Is None of Your Business didn't get much of a reaction around where we were, but the last few songs picked it up.

Thought it was good myself, it started well and there was a good buzz. After How Soon is Now and Munich air disaster I felt like there was a bit of a lull, Who Will Protect Us From the Police? and World Peace Is None of Your Business didn't get much of a reaction around where we were, but the last few songs picked it up.

I thought Who Will Protect Us From The Police sounded brilliant live!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

As I stood in wonder at the figure on stage, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness emerge within me, coupled with a highly euphoric intensity of love. Like an old friend, from his lips the oh so familiar lilt of a man who at 59 years, encapsulated all that is missing from music elsewhere. Sadness at the realisation that the clock of life is ticking against the grain of hope that has haunted my beleaguered mind for what seems like eternity. And what a wondrous sight it would be, for one last show, one last coupling of the duo who made 5 glorious years of magnificent genius. Marr & Morrissey have decided to reunite the Smiths. The Queen is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

lukesmom wrote: »
    As I stood in wonder at the figure on stage, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness emerge within me, coupled with a highly euphoric intensity of love. Like an old friend, from his lips the oh so familiar lilt of a man who at 59 years, encapsulated all that is missing from music elsewhere. Sadness at the realisation that the clock of life is ticking against the grain of hope that has haunted my beleaguered mind for what seems like eternity. And what a wondrous sight it would be, for one last show, one last coupling of the duo who made 5 glorious years of magnificent genius. Marr & Morrissey have decided to reunite the Smiths. The Queen is dead.

Well We thought we would never see Guns N Roses reunite (well Axl, Duff and Slash together again) but it happend

in fairness Morrissey is a hard piece of work to deal with I'd say

I'd love to see the smiths reunite but it's one of those things in life they might never happen and we have to live with it sadly. There stuff is genius

Advertisement