Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey - 20 February 2018 - 3Arena

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Johnny deals with the matter well in his autobiography.

It seems clear that the respect and affection that he held for Morrissey still prevails and they met up a few years ago which they both seemed to enjoy. Johnny had expected that communication would continue but , for some reason, it didn't.

I never thought that I would see the Stone Roses live again but I did. Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc. The precedent is there.

As much as I would love to see it happen with Morrissey & Marr, I don't see it. I'm not sure that they ever had the big fall out like other groups. Johnny got frustrated and left but it wasn't a blazing row that couldn't be mended. Obviously, the court case will mean that Mike Joyce won't feature but Marr is still friendly with Andy Rourke and Moz should have no axe to grind with him.

I just think that Moz is eccentric and would not agree because it might be seen to be either succumbing to popular demand or that he is just past all of that and has no desire to go back in time.

However, I would pay any price to see that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Marr and Mozza aren't the problem, its Joyce and Rourke. Not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

lukesmom wrote: »
    As I stood in wonder at the figure on stage, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness emerge within me, coupled with a highly euphoric intensity of love. Like an old friend, from his lips the oh so familiar lilt of a man who at 59 years, encapsulated all that is missing from music elsewhere. Sadness at the realisation that the clock of life is ticking against the grain of hope that has haunted my beleaguered mind for what seems like eternity. And what a wondrous sight it would be, for one last show, one last coupling of the duo who made 5 glorious years of magnificent genius. Marr & Morrissey have decided to reunite the Smiths. The Queen is dead.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Well We thought we would never see Guns N Roses reunite (well Axl, Duff and Slash together again) but it happend

in fairness Morrissey is a hard piece of work to deal with I'd say

I'd love to see the smiths reunite but it's one of those things in life they might never happen and we have to live with it sadly. There stuff is genius

As a lifelong die-hard Smiths & Morrissey fan, I'd hate to see them reforming just for the money. If they did, it would have to be the full original lineup (possibly with Craig Gannon on 2nd guitar). A Morrissey/Marr thing would be interesting, but it wouldn't be The Smiths. M/M may have been the chief songwriting partnership, but Joyce and Rourke were a cracking rhythm section.

What would be amazing is if the original members buried the hatchet & started to write new material. I'd much rather hear a new Smiths album than go & see them do a money spinning "greatest hits" tour.

I saw the Police, Stone Roses and G'n'R on their last tours. It was obvious the Police / Roses were going through the motions. G'nR seemed a bit less forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They could reform when the Queen dies. That way, it could be a sort of public announcement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No actually like Joyce went on to say he had the highest regard for Morrissey after he won the court case. I don't see him turning down the reunion. The same goes for Andy rourke. The ball is most definitely in Morrissey court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Smiths were only together 4/5 years. Morrissey and Marr seem to be doing well enough. Morrissey gets to play whatever Smiths songs he wants with his band in packed arenas and is extremely close with his band.

I'm pretty sure he's going to refuse to do it as long as it's what people want, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly don't think there'll ever be a Smiths' reunion. Morrissey is too stubborn and just not interested in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

When the Smiths broke up, Johnny Marr was 24 (incredible). He's spent more than half his life NOT in the Smiths. Also, it really wouldn't be the same without Joyce and Rourke.

Closest thing that came to a Smith's reunion:

Morrissey, Rourke and Joyce, obviously pre-court case.

They will reform

You'll sooner see Abba reform.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    You'll sooner see Abba reform.

In one form anyway....

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a837870/abba-virtual-reality-tour-2019/

lukesmom wrote: »

I'll take what I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Some bands are better left alone. A Smiths reunion might just sully the memory, particularly if it was to write new material. Nothing Morrissey or Marr has done individually has given any indication that they could recreate their glory days. It's over, let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Well We thought we would never see Guns N Roses reunite (well Axl, Duff and Slash together again) but it happend

in fairness Morrissey is a hard piece of work to deal with I'd say

I'd love to see the smiths reunite but it's one of those things in life they might never happen and we have to live with it sadly. There stuff is genius

I'll be counter whatever here and say I wouldnt at all like to see a Smiths reunion.

Why

(i) He has a great band he's been working with for a long time. Its a bit of a two fingers to them.
    (ii) Most reunions I've come across have not exactly been the creative highlight on that bands arc, or any other highlight. Stone Roses, Guns n Roses, Sex Pistols spring to mind. Reunions seem to work best with Boy Bands.
    (iii) It would be interesting to see Morrissey and Marr do something creatively together (as opposed to playing smiths numbers); the other two.......not too pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'll be counter whatever here and say I wouldnt at all like to see a Smiths reunion.

Why

(i) He has a great band he's been working with for a long time. Its a bit of a two fingers to them.
    (ii) Most reunions I've come across have not exactly been the creative highlight on that bands arc, or any other highlight. Stone Roses, Guns n Roses, Sex Pistols spring to mind. Reunions seem to work best with Boy Bands.
    (iii) It would be interesting to see Morrissey and Marr do something creatively together (as opposed to playing smiths numbers); the other two.......not too pushed.

(i) It's very subjective, but I'd rate The Smiths as a better band unit than anything Morrissey or Marr have been involved with since. It's not about individual musicianship, it's about the whole unit. Morrissey may have had better drummers than Mike Joyce, but without Mike, we wouldn't have the thundering intro to the Queen is Dead. Or Andy's bassline from Death of a Disco Dancer
    (ii) I'd generally agree with you, but there are exceptions... Suede reformed in 2013 & then released a new album (Bloodsports) that was (IMO) as good as anything from their heyday. That said, they released another one (Night Thoughts) the following year & that wasn't great.
    (iii) I dunno. Morrissey and Marr could be interesting if they wrote new material together, although it wouldn't be The Smiths.

Why

Each to their own and I fully respect your opinion but would disagree on the following

(i) different bands, different times and different sounds - The Smiths broke the mould and I can't see any member of Mozza's band being offended by a Smiths reunion. If they are, they need a sense of perspective and a lesson on context as to how the two compare in terms of musical and social influence etc

(ii) I was delighted to see the Stone Roses live. They did not disappoint me in any way. I'd seen Ian Brown live on several occasions so I know that he can't sing!! But to hear John Squire play Waterfall, Love Spreads etc was magical, Reni's exquisite drumming and Mani's bass was magnificent. When I first heard the chords to Adored (their first song played in Phoenix Park), it was emotional. It brought me back to being 18 and it was good! I has seen the youtube film from Shane Meadows documentary of the Parr Hall gig for months before the Dublin one and knew what to expect. But the reality of it in front of me was wonderful. Multiply that 10 times for Moz & Marr!!

I'd hazard a guess that those fans who saw GNR or Led Zep live (having missed them first time around) also agree.

(iii) I'm not that bothered by new stuff. I want to hear the opening chords of Heaven knows, Bigmouth, Please Please let me get, Charming Man etc. I'm 47 years old - I'm happy in the past; they were my glory years!!!

I do take your point about new material but the Smiths have a glorious and extensive enough back catalogue to keep me happy for a few hours anytime. I just missed them first time around. Similarly with Moz, once he plays Everyday is Like Sunday, I leave happy.

I'll never see the Smiths play. That time is gone but Moz & Marr would certainly do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭mgkelly

PGE1970 wrote: »

Why

(i) He has a great band he's been working with for a long time.  Its a bit of a two fingers to them.
    (ii) Most reunions I've come across have not exactly been the creative highlight on that bands arc, or any other highlight.  Stone Roses, Guns n Roses, Sex Pistols spring to mind.  Reunions seem to work best with Boy Bands.

Each to their own and I fully respect your opinion but would disagree on the following

(i) different bands, different times and different sounds  - The Smiths broke the mould and I can't see any member of Mozza's band being offended by a Smiths reunion. If they are, they need a sense of perspective and a lesson on context as to how the two compare in terms of musical and social influence etc

(ii) I was delighted to see the Stone Roses live. They did not disappoint me in any way. I'd seen Ian Brown live on several occasions so I know that he can't sing!! But to hear John Squire play Waterfall, Love Spreads etc was magical, Reni's exquisite drumming and Mani's bass was magnificent. When I first heard the chords to Adored (their first song played in Phoenix Park), it was emotional. It brought me back to being 18 and it was good! I has seen the youtube film from Shane Meadows documentary of the Parr Hall gig for months before the Dublin one and knew what to expect. But the reality of it in front of me was wonderful.  Multiply that 10 times for Moz & Marr!!

I'd hazard a guess that those fans who saw GNR or Led Zep live (having missed them first time around) also agree.

(iii) I'm not that bothered by new stuff. I want to hear the opening chords of Heaven knows, Bigmouth, Please Please let me get, Charming Man etc. I'm 47 years old - I'm happy in the past; they were my glory years!!!

I do take your point about new material but the Smiths have a glorious and extensive enough back catalogue to keep me happy for a few hours anytime. I just missed them first time around. Similarly with Moz, once he plays Everyday is Like Sunday, I leave happy.

I'll never see the Smiths play. That time is gone but Moz & Marr would certainly do it for me.
    This would fit with my sentiments, tho' see the opposite POV also.
    So, I've seen the reformed Stone Roses, too, & was wonderfully happy. Again, first chords of "I wanna be adored" brings me right back to Maysfield Leisure Centre, 1989 I think it was! Spine tingling. Truly loved it. Ok, they may never do another album, never mind a decent one (the stuff that has trickled out was pretty bad! - All for One.......hmmmm!), but that is ok!
    I never quite made The Smiths either, though have seen Morrissey a few times & Johnny Marr @ EP. Both very good. 
    And, yes, I too was born in 1970 - January, so am 48 now.

Going off topic (sorry), I saw the Roses in feile but Squire had left by then.

I missed The Smiths in Ireland. They played in 1984 (I wasn't really into music as much by that stage) and in 1986 when my parents essentially locked the house to make sure that I would not go after I threatened to leave the house if they stopped me!

It was strange because I went to see U2 in Croke Park in June 1985 (ticket was a present for my Inter Cert - £8.50) but wouldn't let me go to The Smiths because only one other friend of mine wanted to go. I think that they probably thought that a gig in Croke Park would be ok because the GAA must be involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Off topic but someone mentioned post Squire Roses.

Watch this. All of it.

https://youtu.be/cx0mp7hBeTg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭jacool

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Going off topic (sorry), I saw the Roses in feile but Squire had left by then.

I missed The Smiths in Ireland. They played in 1984 (I wasn't really into music as much by that stage) and in 1986 when my parents essentially locked the house to make sure that I would not go after I threatened to leave the house if they stopped me!

It was strange because I went to see U2 in Croke Park in June 1985 (ticket was a present for my Inter Cert - £8.50) but wouldn't let me go to The Smiths because only one other friend of mine wanted to go. I think that they probably thought that a gig in Croke Park would be ok because the GAA must be involved!!
    Yeah, but you did get to see REM !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Back to the gig itself and I thought it was poor and his stage presence was poor

From the start:

The 30 min video and audio Microsoft Powerpoint presentation was lame, poor quality videos projected onto a gauze screen. This did nothing to "Warm up" the crowd. Perhaps if Moz himself presented the clips himself and perhaps spoke about them it might have had more meaning and been more interesting

Next the stage:

I gather Moz believes more in the music than the stage layout and that is all well and good but I wasn't impressed with his stage layout - the duplicate video screen should have been a video wall. DM played in Nov and their stage and video wall was out of this world.

Moz & Co:

Intro song was poor, it didn't grab the crowd and set it up the gig, perhaps "The Queen is Dead" or "Last of the..." - it felt like hmmm OK mom and Co. are here not OMG Moz is actually here

Cover songs - though back on the chain gang was good again like the intro was unnecessary, Moz/ Smiths back catalogue is more than enough.

The gig went a but flat in the middle section of the concert and I felt it from the crowd around where I was standing.

Highlights for me - "I started something", "suedehead","how soon is now", "Hold on to your friends", "Irish blood...."
    The videos accompanying "Who will protect us from the police" and "The bullfighter dies" were disturbing and thought provoking and so Moz got his points across with those.

I think his new material is not as strong or hasn't made as big an impact on me as his earlier material or Smiths material

This was my 7th time seeing Morrissey - from
    National Stadium,
    to headline in The Point,
    to supporting Bowie
    on to INEC in Killarney
    then Cork Opera House
    on to Live at the Marquee in Cork
    and finally (And I think finally)

3Arena

Live at the Marquee and 3Arena were my least fav Moz gigs

My brother went with me and he felt the same and also my 20 year old daughter who was so looking forward to seeing him, she felt underwhelmed

We have been to see "These Charming Men" on numerous occasions and it is always a great gig.

In summing up I asked my daughter this question....

Room A --- Morrissey playing

and

Room B - These Charming Men

Pick which room.....The answer

ROOM B every time

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Subjective? The Smiths were a million times better than Morrissey solo. Johnny Marr is one of the most inventive guitarists ever, Andy Rourke is a unique bassist and Joyce didn't just plod along like a bricklayer on the drums as some let on.

I'd rather they left it alone, but everyone has their price. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they reformed.

TBH the stone Roses reunion is/was pretty poor.They shouldn't have such a huge reputation based on one album. I was a massive fan around age of 17/25, but have gone off them since the reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Back to the gig itself and I thought it was poor and his stage presence was poor

From the start:

The 30 min video and audio Microsoft Powerpoint presentation was lame, poor quality videos projected onto a gauze screen. This did nothing to "Warm up" the crowd. Perhaps if Moz himself presented the clips himself and perhaps spoke about them it might have had more meaning and been more interesting

Next the stage:

I gather Moz believes more in the music than the stage layout and that is all well and good but I wasn't impressed with his stage layout - the duplicate video screen should have been a video wall. DM played in Nov and their stage and video wall was out of this world.

Moz & Co:

Intro song was poor, it didn't grab the crowd and set it up the gig, perhaps "The Queen is Dead" or "Last of the..." - it felt like hmmm OK mom and Co. are here not OMG Moz is actually here

Cover songs - though back on the chain gang was good again like the intro was unnecessary, Moz/ Smiths back catalogue is more than enough.

The gig went a but flat in the middle section of the concert and I felt it from the crowd around where I was standing.

Highlights for me - "I started something", "suedehead","how soon is now", "Hold on to your friends", "Irish blood...."
    The videos accompanying "Who will protect us from the police" and "The bullfighter dies" were disturbing and thought provoking and so Moz got his points across with those.

I think his new material is not as strong or hasn't made as big an impact on me as his earlier material or Smiths material

This was my 7th time seeing Morrissey - from
    National Stadium,
    to headline in The Point,
    to supporting Bowie
    on to INEC in Killarney
    then Cork Opera House
    on to Live at the Marquee in Cork
    and finally (And I think finally)

3Arena

Live at the Marquee and 3Arena were my least fav Moz gigs

My brother went with me and he felt the same and also my 20 year old daughter who was so looking forward to seeing him, she felt underwhelmed

We have been to see "These Charming Men" on numerous occasions and it is always a great gig.

In summing up I asked my daughter this question....

Room A --- Morrissey playing

and

Room B - These Charming Men

Pick which room.....The answer

ROOM B every time

I dunno what you expected to come to all of those conclusions.

A smiths tribute band over Morrissey himself.... Jebus.

A friend of mine was at the gig with me in Dublin and he seen 3 dates in London he said the 3arena is as usual a problem. Saying that he sounded amazing either way and I didn't go in thinking much of the new album/setlist but it really worked live.

I've seen him good few times meself I really think this year was better then few years ago the stage setup was class to.

The crowd where biggest issue with his last few in Ireland most them where ****ing useless there for the "hits" and to get drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭fafy

I dunno what you expected to come to all of those conclusions.

A smiths tribute band over Morrissey himself.... Jebus.

A friend of mine was at the gig with me in Dublin and he seen 3 dates in London he said the 3arena is as usual a problem. Saying that he sounded amazing either way and I didn't go in thinking much of the new album/setlist but it really worked live.

I've seen him good few times meself I really think this year was better then few years ago the stage setup was class to.

The crowd where biggest issue with his last few in Ireland most them where ****ing useless there for the "hits" and to get drunk.

I thought this gig was much better than the World Peace Is None.... tour.

I don’t understand why people think he will play a majority of Smiths material, he has what, 13 solo albums, he threw in a few Smiths tracks, and had superb versions of Jack The Rioper, Speedway & Hold onto Your Friends, plus a good few from the latest album I couldn’t ask for more to be honest, and wonder why people have this expectation he is not going to play several tracks from his most recent two albums, I loved the pre show video of his favourite acts over 5 decades, it was actually quite a personal thing to do.

If you want wall to wall Smiths tracks, go see a tribute band, and don’t go to Morrissey gigs, as he prioritizes what he is doing now, not 30 years ago, i’l stick with Moz.

Advertisement