Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot lads I just noticed these posts struggling with cattle all day! Great work would leave a man very tempted to take cork on. Wish I could work out how to use my own Garmin for this stuff!

The comparison thing is done using this site:

mygpsfiles

You just download the GPX or TCX file from Garmin Connect or Strava. On Garmin Connect: Open the activity, click on the little cog icon in the corner, then click on "Export to GPX" or "Export to TCX". You can add as many files as you want I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Thanks a lot lads I just noticed these posts struggling with cattle all day! Great work would leave a man very tempted to take cork on. Wish I could work out how to use my own Garmin for this stuff!
    Did you do,an easy 4 mile jog on ur break.?Only joking.Cork profile (h.b.s.)put up v Dublin profile,looks very tempting, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Haha no I didn't I considered it (your fault) but thought I'd leave it the inside of my knee is giving a little trouble. None when running but when I bend it it's sore

Well lads this question has probably been discussed before but I have a half marathon on Sunday. I don't think I'm really race fit just yet but I want to give it a go. Any thoughts as to what works best for some kind of mini taper week leading up to the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Easy running on Friday then take Saturday off.

• Advertisement

DC. wrote: »

What about the rest of the week?

DC. wrote: »

What about the rest of the week?

Just make it a normal week, if you’re not race fit there’s not much point stressing over it. Might as well use it as a tempo run or a progressive run.

Only taper for your goal race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Nothing you do at this point will improve your level of fitness. Taper is about maintaining, not improving. Should be almost all easy running from now until race day. Throw in some sets of strides on one or two days, and maybe a light session 3-4 days out (e.g. 10-15k easy with 3k in the middle at race pace) to keep the legs fresh

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I'm more meaning how easy to take it lads I'm not trying to squeeze out improvement at this point

• Advertisement

Run how you feel. Don’t worry about speed or anything just keep the body ticking over.

Leave the watch at home & just run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm more meaning how easy to take it lads I'm not trying to squeeze out improvement at this point

If you want to race it properly and the result is important to you then take it very easy this week, especially the last 3 days before the race. Basically do a mini-taper, but still do some easy running for maintenance.

On the other hand, if this is first and foremost a training run as part of your build-up to your goal race then keep on training as normal. Maybe take it easy the day before the race but don't compromise your training for your goal race.

Well folks thanks for the advice I meant to report back!
    I cut my miles for the week and instead of a tempo did 6 miles alternating hard and easy. I was fighting fit for the race and got a PB of 1:24:04. Strange thing is my watch was measuring both pace and distance wrong for some time now so I've been training much harder than I'd thought. Sent away to be fixed or replaced now and a week on I strained my calf somehow on an easy run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Hope that calf strain isn't too bad. I had one that kept me out for four months a while back.

I cut my miles for the week and instead of a tempo did 6 miles alternating hard and easy. I was fighting fit for the race and got a PB of 1:24:04. Strange thing is my watch was measuring both pace and distance wrong for some time now so I've been training much harder than I'd thought. Sent away to be fixed or replaced now and a week on I strained my calf somehow on an easy run.
    Ur flying it squinn,get that calf sorted,and sub 3 seems on the card's for you.Cracking time.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Ur flying it squinn,get that calf sorted,and sub 3 seems on the card's for you.Cracking time.

Thanks pal I'm pleased with it and there's plenty more in me. I'll give it another day or two then hopefully it'll be right. How is your running going?

Thanks pal I'm pleased with it and there's plenty more in me. I'll give it another day or two then hopefully it'll be right. How is your running going?
    All going OK at the moment.I'm just repeating what I did for Limerick marathon last year.Lots of easy boring treadmill miles,and every 2nd week,a 20 miler,with lots of m.p miles.Hoping for a sub 3 in Manchester,if that doesn't work out,I will give Limerick a lash aswell.

Ah you're all over that sub 3 great miles for this time of year! Calf a little better today. Currently in Physio waiting room with the fingers crossed. Worst thing about races the take plenty out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What is the consensus on MP miles in training? Is running MP miles at 6.50 leaving you to tight to the sub 3 line given many do fade in the 2nd half? Or is running MP miles in training at 6.40/45 a better option to get the body more use to the faster pace and hope for a less of a fade in the 2nd half after training at a faster level? Hope that makes sense.

OOnegative wrote: »
    What is the consensus on MP miles in training? Is running MP miles at 6.50 leaving you to tight to the sub 3 line given many do fade in the 2nd half? Or is running MP miles in training at 6.40/45 a better option to get the body more use to the faster pace and hope for a less of a fade in the 2nd half after training at a faster level? Hope that makes sense.
    Looking forward to hearing replies to this one. I do intervals and tempo runs 40 and 20 secs above MP for my speed and the weekend run is usually well below MP. I've tried out running 3 of the final 4 at MP in this programme and have found it's brought me on well. Have started with a training partner as well who is novice but brilliant and we're pushing each other well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Interesting question. Recently read that running MPs is pointless as it doesn't do a whole lot to improve your times. Either run faster or slower as mp is a sort of no man's land.

I've seen some plans that have little if any mp runs.

Personally, I aim to run the MPs a couple of seconds quicker per km. if you can run 6:50, should be able to stretch it to 6:45. It's a nice cushion mentally and allows you to relax a bit.

I find MPs a great confidence boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Djoucer wrote: »
    Interesting question. Recently read that running MPs is pointless as it doesn't do a whole lot to improve your times. Either run faster or slower as mp is a sort of no man's land.

Personally, I aim to run the MPs a couple of seconds quicker per km. if you can run 6:50, should be able to stretch it to 6:45. It's a nice cushion mentally and allows you to relax a bit.

It's not that it's pointless, it's still some good quality high-end aerobic running. It's just that it varies so much in intensity from person to person that that being around it around it can be a strong aerobic stimulus for some and not so much for others. Think how easy it felt to run huge distances at marathon pace when you started compared to down the road. That's because the relative intensity got higher as you got faster and moved closer towards your aerobic threshold.

Last year, I done a good few aerobic tempo workouts which would be quicker than MP(around 2 hour pace) and felt I got a lot of strength from them, they generally consisted of 40-60mins of running at that highend aerobic pace. Felt they really brought me on even compared to longer MP runs I done in the past and I felt the recovery was much better balanced as well compared to running 13-15-18.5 miles at MP. I got that workout in mid-week and although my my long run was always just easy, my times and paces were dropping hugely. Having that midweek high-end aerobic workout midweek now opens the door to building some fartlek type workouts gradually into the long run where speed varies from faster than MP to slower recovery periods, it will keep the intensity moderate for these long runs and won't be as overly specific and intensive and one paced as straight MP work but it should help with feeling comfortable at the slower pace on raceday. I hope anyway.

Running straight up Long marathon paced runs at 10 seconds faster than MP is asking for trouble for most mildly-endurance challenge people like ourselves(no offense to us:pac:) but most won't be strong enough yet to handle those big specific workouts.

Tons of people will disagree with me on this but switching out those huge marathon pace workouts on long runs with more midweek mileage and a shorter aerobic tempo workout would do wonders in my opinion.

I'm sorry those last two posts have me confused. Will you dumb it down a bit for me. What do you suggest doing? From what you're saying I think you're suggesting interval work or short tempos. Can you give an example of how your workouts would fit into a training week please?

Djoucer wrote: »

I get you on the confidence boost as the friend i'm asking for lacks speed endurance somewhat when it comes to anything above 10 miles, i know running miles in training at sub 3 effort will not guarantee a sub 3 result but like you i'd like to think running them at few seconds quicker than sub 3 should give you some sort of cushion come race day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

I get you on the confidence boost as the friend i'm asking for lacks speed endurance somewhat when it comes to anything above 10 miles, i know running miles in training at sub 3 effort will not guarantee a sub 3 result but like you i'd like to think running them at few seconds quicker than sub 3 should give you some sort of cushion come race day.

Chasing goal pace is never a great idea, the pace should drop as training progresses and not by starting off at a higher pace and hoping it gets easier.

That's especially true if he has lack of endurance and the gap between goal pace and current pace is bigger. Means he's already good at burning lactate and not so much at burning fat. My advice to him would be to start out at current MP and see how far it comes down, if he's already got the wheels, some work on endurance might bring it down fairly quick if the mileage is good but overreaching from the start could cause problems(early and low peak due to training something he's already strong at for an event where his weakness needs to be the strongest asset)

Safiri wrote: »
    Chasing goal pace is never a great idea, the pace should drop as training progresses and not by starting off at a higher pace and hoping it gets easier.

That's especially true if he has lack of endurance and the gap between goal pace and current pace is bigger. Means he's already good at burning lactate and not so much at burning fat. My advice to him would be to start out at current MP and see how far it comes down, if he's already got the wheels, some work on endurance might bring it down fairly quick if the mileage is good but overreaching from the start could cause problems(early and low peak due to training something he's already strong at for an event where his weakness needs to be the strongest asset)

Cheers, I think he has the wheels already so some work endurance wise should benefit him. He’s not beginning marathon training till mid June so has plenty of time to make gains. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

The paces I hit in training are usually a bit slower than what I race - sessions that call for 10k pace I'm usually a bit slower, same for half marathon pace and same for marathon pace. I'm a bit cautious though and prefer to undercook rather than overcook.

I think its more important to be in and around what's called for - some days marathon pace feels a lot easier than other days. Some days I'm convinced the Garmin is robbing me blind!

Alternating type sessions will have mixed paces and I find it's more important to speed up and slow down in these roughly speaking without nailing the pace to the second - its all about training the relevant fuel systems.

Hoping for less of a fade is not an approach that's worked for me - my top 3 marathon times have been 2 negative splits and a 4 second positive split - I want to be going into the last 5k knowing there's some fuel in the tank to empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I would say it depends on how you run MP miles.

If you are doing P and D style long runs with half and Half (easy first then MP miles) or a shorter M tempo (like 8-10 miles) I would say yes they would leave you a bit short simply because they don't replicate the race. MP should feel controlled the first half of your marathon so realistically a 10 mile @ MP won't be a hugely taxing effort aerobic wise (there is the argument of cumulative fatigue but for me this would have more relevance to muscular fatigue more than aerobic development). I think this is one of the big differences called out between the East African approach vs the Western approach in many cases.

If you are doing it as part of a big workout (Magness, Daniels etc) that it is probably fine as you are replicating fatigue before you hit pace in the latter stages.

The other option is higher mileage sub marathon paced runs (i.e progression or steady runs) these can actually have more of a relevance than exact marathon pacing for more specific sessions.

I would say it depends on how you run MP miles.

If you are doing P and D style long runs with half and Half (easy first then MP miles) or a shorter M tempo (like 8-10 miles) I would say yes they would leave you a bit short simply because they don't replicate the race. MP should feel controlled the first half of your marathon so realistically a 10 mile @ MP won't be a hugely taxing effort aerobic wise (there is the argument of cumulative fatigue but for me this would have more relevance to muscular fatigue more than aerobic development). I think this is one of the big differences called out between the East African approach vs the Western approach in many cases.

If you are doing it as part of a big workout (Magness, Daniels etc) that it is probably fine as you are replicating fatigue before you hit pace in the latter stages.

The other option is higher mileage sub marathon paced runs (i.e progression or steady runs) these can actually have more of a relevance than exact marathon pacing for more specific sessions.

That’s a brilliant post. Another thing I often consider. Are you better running a very similar structure from week to week or changing it up regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

That’s a brilliant post. Another thing I often consider. Are you better running a very similar structure from week to week or changing it up regularly?

Doesn't have to fit a 7 day week. Many athletes extend a mesocycle out to 10-14 days. Depends on the athlete some might need more recovery between sessions so might do 2 sessions and a long run in 10 days others may recover quicker and fit the 7 day format. The 7 day format just became the norm because people generally had enough time for a long run at weekends without work so it fit naturally.

To give you an example I have on athlete off top of my head that I am currently running training over a two week cycle

Week 1 - 2 sessions plus easy to moderate long run (Tues/Fri/Sun)
    Week 2 - 1 Session plus one Big Long run session (Wed/Sun)

This seems to be the sweet spot for the athlete who has a background of a few injuries in previous marathon cycles

Advertisement