Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stephen_n wrote: »
    Only 26% of Americans own a gun, it’s grossly misrepresented as being a part of the American way of life. Also the issue isn’t the ownership of guns, it’s the type of guns.

I met an American once who owned 29 guns. That's nuts.
    You're right, if guns were limited to hunting guns (rifles, shotguns) it would be a lot harder to commit mass shootings. Guns like the AR15 But the problem is also with the ownership of guns - anyone can buy a gun without legal restrictions. Trump even signed an order rescinding a law Obama passed preventing people with mental illness from purchasing guns.

I saw a good tweet that I think accurately reflects the lobbying power behind gun control (the lack of) in the US, something like:
    Americans like to say it takes a good person with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. But that sounds to me like someone trying to sell 2 guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zzippy wrote: »
    I am aware. The asshole who killed almost 60 people in Las Vegas had one. But the law prohibits ownership of fully automatic weapons and a machine gun is not a semi-auto converted to full auto. The headline of 900 rounds per minute would be frightening if they actually could hold 900 rounds in a magazine. A GPMG will fire 900 a minute and actually do that with a belt feed.

The idiot in Florida did not have bump stock, so it was a semi-auto he was using. But he could have got one easily as Florida don't restrict them in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    I met an American once who owned 29 guns. That's nuts.
    You're right, if guns were limited to hunting guns (rifles, shotguns) it would be a lot harder to commit mass shootings. Guns like the AR15 But the problem is also with the ownership of guns - anyone can buy a gun without legal restrictions. Trump even signed an order rescinding a law Obama passed preventing people with mental illness from purchasing guns.

I saw a good tweet that I think accurately reflects the lobbying power behind gun control (the lack of) in the US, something like:

Was going to add that those 26% probably own more guns, than the rest of the worlds privately owned weapons. An AR-15 was designed for one thing and it wasn’t sport.

Was going to add that those 26% probably own more guns, than the rest of the worlds privately owned weapons. An AR-15 was designed for one thing and it wasn’t sport.

I think the stat is something like America has 4% of the worlds population and 46% of the worlds guns. It's something outrageously distorted like that anyway.

I think the stat is something like America has 4% of the worlds population and 46% of the worlds guns. It's something outrageously distorted like that anyway.

And as only a quarter of Americans own guns, 1% of the worlds population owns 46% of the worlds guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Only 26% of Americans own a gun, it’s grossly misrepresented as being a part of the American way of life. Also the issue isn’t the ownership of guns, it’s the type of guns.

That would be legally held guns..over 1 million guns are stolen every 2-3 years in America... that skews those figures a bit

That would be legally held guns..over 1 million guns are stolen every 2-3 years in America... that skews those figures a bit

One feeds the other though, don’t you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's about 40% of households that have a gun I believe. That's a much more important statistic than an overall percentage, it's about access to weapons.

But in reality I just find it impossible to debate this. The argument has been so twisted in America. The answer is strict gun control and an enforced government buy-back. It's the obvious answer. If Americans really cared they would at least give it a try. More importantly they wouldn't put in place insane rules that makes it illegal to research gun violence and potential solutions. But there you go. Instead they say "it's not a gun problem, it's a health problem" while still banning the CDC from researching it.

I'll never live there and this is just one of the reasons, I've very lucky to have that choice so long as my American employer doesn't get any ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I believe that the solution has to start at state level. People here would find it ludicrous that the only permit you need to apply for in Florida is a concealed carry permit. No permit is required for any firearm including handguns. All control of the sale and supply of firearms rests with the dealers. There is no requirement to background check private sales.

The very first step would be to require all firearms owners to apply for and hold a permit. But that would be seen by the NRA heads as the thin end of the wedge. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Kinder eggs are not for sale in America because they're dangerous.

Yep.....that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Kinder eggs are not for sale in America because they're dangerous.

Yep.....that's it.

You can buy an AR15 when you turn 18, but you have to wait til you're 21 to buy a beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Spoilers for alpine skiing if anyone is watching.

A Czech gold medal winning snowboarder won Gold in the Super G slalom today on a pair of skis she borrowed from Mikela Shiffirin. Super G is bloody intense. It takes balls just to do the run, never mind win it! Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I've had some amazing gifts from patients down thru the years: knitted tops for our newborn baby, proper pens...a picture of Halfpenny Bridge in Dublin which still hangs in my office...even looked after the mum of one of the Leinster starting XV today..but being invited to the vineyard for wine-tasting, and heading home with 4 bottles of top-class wine is up there. I'm still half-cut (if not ¾ cut...) after that wine-tasting, but there is nothing more rewarding than treating someone in their time of need, and getting thanked for it. Makes it all worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I've had some amazing gifts from patients down thru the years: knitted tops for our newborn baby, proper pens...a picture of Halfpenny Bridge in Dublin which still hangs in my office...even looked after the mum of one of the Leinster starting XV today..but being invited to the vineyard for wine-tasting, and heading home with 4 bottles of top-class wine is up there. I'm still half-cut (if not ¾ cut...) after that wine-tasting, but there is nothing more rewarding than treating someone in their time of need, and getting thanked for it. Makes it all worthwhile.

I can relate. 100% right.

And fair play to you. Obviously the quality of your your work is that good that it warrants more reward than just your fee.

I would also venture to guess that you've successfully maintained a "human touch" to your work rather than becoming automated or cold in your interactions with your patients.

Keep it up swiwi.

Can we assume that answers the spit or swallow question with Swiwi then.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

What did people think of derry girls?

personally really enjoyed it, and my English missus loved it as she went to a Catholic school and thought they nailed that side of it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It was funny enough. Not brilliant or terrible.

Scythica wrote: »
    What did people think of derry girls?

Looked at the trailer.

Needs subtitles...I reckon I got 60% of the dialogue :o

Can we assume that answers the spit or swallow question with Swiwi then.

When it comes to wine, swallows.

And for anything else, you can get your mind out of the gutter wee man.

Seriously, each glass was ⅓ fill. I'd take one or two sips, and the rest would get thrown away. But it all adds up! Especially when each variety had the standard option and the oaked option to compare. In red and in white. And in dessert wine. I was almost relieved he didn't move onto the marc (grappa). It was a struggle not to fall asleep during the Leinster game, and that's no slight on Leinster!

I’m watching the Vietnam War by Ken Burns. It’s awesome...but such a stupid war.

• Advertisement

I’m watching the Vietnam War by Ken Burns. It’s awesome...but such a stupid war.

You mean there are wars that aren’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stopped in Pmac's for a couple of jars last night. Ordered a brewdog elvis juice. Bar man told me it wasn't on. Asked him for something similar. He produced a beavertown gamma ray (great drop). 5 mins later and he's standing the other side of the bar with me giving me a full run down on different beers, their styles, tastes etc.
    Have to say that it was a decent touch and would make you want to visit again.

I dunno. If someone invaded Ireland would you just say « stupid » or would you go out and fight?

Among other things the Vietnam War was stupid because there was no real buy-in from the South. If you go where you’re not wanted your bound to fail.

I’d hate to fight but if it was a question of defending the wife & kids and the surrounding community from a foreign invader I probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well an appeasement policy didn't exactly work against Nazism.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah but without it we’d never have Apocolypse Now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stopped in Pmac's for a couple of jars last night. Ordered a brewdog elvis juice. Bar man told me it wasn't on. Asked him for something similar. He produced a beavertown gamma ray (great drop). 5 mins later and he's standing the other side of the bar with me giving me a full run down on different beers, their styles, tastes etc.
    Same crowd own Cassidys on Westmoreland street, though it's way more hipsterish.

I like those craft beers but could never sit and have a load of them. Head would be absolutely banging the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah pmacs gets a bit of a bad rep for being an overnight hipster popup but they have a great selection, laidback atmosphere and no fuss layout and the grubs not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hipsters like nice things. It's what differentiates them from actual hippies who like "good" things.

I've a problem with beer recently. One beer gives me an almost instant headache. Two or three (or one craft beer) and its an insufferable migraine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You ever read Chickenhawk by Robert Mason?

It highlighted how stupid it was before it got really stupid!

Also you'll fancy your chances of being able to at least hover in a helicopter after reading it.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but without it we’d never have Apocolypse Now.

One of the most boring films I’ve ever watched.

Platoon on the other hand...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement