Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I got drawn into a bit of a Youtube wormhole of late 90s early 00s dance music and ended up on this banger

For those of you interested it was started by this

Because I played the original song it sampled for my OH

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My ability to function on three hours sleep is being sorely tested :(

awec wrote: »

Yeah man, it's not easy at all but it gets better. Or so I'm told, maybe not actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'd feel a lot more sorry for you if you hadn't regularly brought up that fact that most days it's about 10 am when you get up, this is karma baby :D

b.gud wrote: »
    I'd feel a lot more sorry for you if you hadn't regularly brought up that fact that most days it's about 10 am when you get up, this is karma baby :D
    I still get up at 10am.

I'm just not going to sleep til 7am. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Get sleep whenever you can. No point in trying to be a hero. If you get an hour for lunch, grab a sandwich and take a nap (if possible). Sleep when they sleep if you're at home. You can catch up on TV, gaming etc. in future. Avail of Tesco delivery or similar to save time on shopping trips for a bit.

In a few more weeks, they'll settle into a more established pattern and it will get easier. I recommend doing a little light research into some books on sleeping patterns of infants. Some stuff works, some doesn't. But if you find what works for your baby, any book will have paid for itself 100 times over.

Buer wrote: »
    Get sleep whenever you can. No point in trying to be a hero. If you get an hour for lunch, grab a sandwich and take a nap (if possible). Sleep when they sleep if you're at home. You can catch up on TV, gaming etc. in future. Avail of Tesco delivery or similar to save time on shopping trips for a bit.

In a few more weeks, they'll settle into a more established pattern and it will get easier. I recommend doing a little light research into some books on sleeping patterns of infants. Some stuff works, some doesn't. But if you find what works for your baby, any book will have paid for itself 100 times over.
    Our one currently has days and nights back to front, so she is really sleepy during the day and very alert at night.

Midwife told us to start waking her every two hours during the day for a feed, even if it involves a not-so-gentle nappy change to waken her up. I wouldn't mind waking up a few times every night so long as she sleeps for 3 hours or so at a time, but right now she wakes up after an hour and takes about an hour to get back to sleep. Apparently doing this for a few days will fix her body clock somewhat, and 4 hours of sleep sounds amazing right now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Our one currently has days and nights back to front, so she is really sleepy during the day and very alert at night.

Midwife told us to start waking her every two hours during the day for a feed, even if it involves a not-so-gentle nappy change to waken her up. I wouldn't mind waking up a few times every night so long as she sleeps for 3 hours or so at a time, but right now she wakes up after an hour and takes about an hour to get back to sleep. Apparently doing this for a few days will fix her body clock somewhat, and 4 hours of sleep sounds amazing right now. :D

You'll get there. We didn't have to wake ours during the day at all. She was pretty consistent both day and night in terms of feeding and sleeping. But in the last week we've seen huge improvements (she was 4 weeks on Friday). She's sleeping for 3-4 hours between feeds at night now so we try to get her down at around 11. She'll be up then at about 3 for an hour and then about 7:30 for an hour. I haven't missed a single second of the 6Ns on her account and might be back in the RDS with the wife on Saturday having only missed the Glasgow game.

I don't see what the fuss is about tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

*stifles laughing*

No point telling you it gets easier....cause it doesn't!!

I will give you this nugget of advice which worked for us. Feed and bath at 7 and bed for 8. Wake baby at 11p.m. Keep awake until 11.30, then as dark a room as possible give another feed, wind and change in silence...then bed. If she's down for 12 - 12.30 she should (?) sleep for 3 - 4 hours. This will give you some sense of "normal" sleep. Even a 2 hour kip from 9 - 11 when she's down.

My third would go down at 12ish and sleep to 5...it meant we were getting unbroken sleep for night time hours. First was a joke...going down at 10, up at 1, down at 2.30 and up at 6. All over the shop. I don't envy you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Top tip, always offer to put the baby down for naps, then conveniently fall asleep with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Babies sound like an absolute nightmare tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Teferi wrote: »
    Babies sound like an absolute nightmare tbh.

It's far more relatable to discuss the lack of sleep, the night feeds and the misery. There's a touch of camaraderie about the whole thing.

The things that make them absolutely brilliant are unique to each though and nobody would give a damn if we spoke about those things on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    It's far more relatable to discuss the lack of sleep, the night feeds and the misery. There's a touch of camaraderie about the whole thing.

The things that make them absolutely brilliant are unique to each though and nobody would give a damn if we spoke about those things on here.

Yeah, if I spoke about the great things of my little one it'd really just be self serving. I mean she is bloody deadly and all, but doesn't everyone think that about their own kids?

They do, don't they.....MFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, if I spoke about the great things of my little one it'd really just be self serving. I mean she is bloody deadly and all, but doesn't everyone think that about their own kids?

They do, don't they.....MFC?

Ah they're brilliant in all fairness. The stuff they come out with is priceless and it's true what they say that you can't imagine your life without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Looks like Damian Browne is due to finish his Atlantic row on Thursday evening.

That’s a time of about 63 days for 3000 miles.

At this moment he has about 42 nautical miles to go and is travelling at a rate of about 41 miles per day.

I think a nautical mile is about 15% more than a normal mile.

You can follow him on the YB races app and look for Atlantic campaigns on Facebook. And Damian Browne - Atlantic row.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Looks like Damian Browne is due to finish his Atlantic row on Thursday evening.

That’s a time of about 63 days for 3000 miles.

At this moment he has about 42 nautical miles to go and is travelling at a rate of about 41 miles per day.

I think a nautical mile is about 15% more than a normal mile.

You can follow him on the YB races app and look for Atlantic campaigns on Facebook. And Damian Browne - Atlantic row.

I feel inadequate now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I feel inadequate now.

I bet he's crap at changing nappies though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Zzippy wrote: »
    I bet he's crap at changing nappies though...

Surely he just takes a dump off the side of the boat, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You must log in first. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wonderful moment

Great tan. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He doesn't know how to swim, apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Unbelievable stuff from him. He’s an absolute warrior.

I’ve been following him all the way and it’s been dicey at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

On the other end of the "hope for the human race" spectrum - 17 dead in another high-school shooting in Florida. And the crazy thing is, not only did the suspected shooter (aged 19) buy the AR-15 assault rifle perfectly legally, he actually couldn't legally buy a hand gun at that age.

Minimum federally imposed ages for firearm purchase:
    Long guns - 18
    Hand guns - 21

Too young for a pistol? Grand sure, have a machine gun instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    On the other end of the "hope for the human race" spectrum - 17 dead in another high-school shooting in Florida. And the crazy thing is, not only did the suspected shooter (aged 19) buy the AR-15 assault rifle perfectly legally, he actually couldn't legally buy a hand gun at that age.

Long guns - 18
    Hand guns - 21

Eh... no.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Long guns - 18
    Hand guns - 21

The owner of the gun shops answer, “the gun didn’t shoot anyone, the gun didn’t pick itself up and fire at those kids”. That is an acceptable answer in America. I say give them more guns, they might eradicate themselves entirely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a completely different attitude to guns over there which we don't get here.

Guns are tool/toys to a lot of Americans, whereas over here they're for killing.

Similarly their's and ours attitude to alcohol are completely different too.

Just to play devil's advocate.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a completely different attitude to guns over there which we don't get here.

Guns are tool/toys to a lot of Americans, whereas over here they're for killing.

Similarly their's and ours attitude to alcohol are completely different too.

Just to play devil's advocate.

Only 26% of Americans own a gun, it’s grossly misrepresented as being a part of the American way of life. Also the issue isn’t the ownership of guns, it’s the type of guns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement