Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »
    Have to disagree there. There is not a thing wrong with Mild and Dry in Winter if theres no hope of cold and snow! :D:D:D

Maybe I'm a bit baffled by February 2017 :P because of it being very dull, mild, wet with an easterly that was very weak and not that cold at all. Instead, all the easterly brought was cloud to the east with drizzle.

I did give some praise to 2016-17 at times for being nice in parts of December and January.

Let's not forget the phantom easterlies too of mid-December and the New Year on the models.

Oh speaking of which, on one hand, I'm not looking forward to it because imagining all the traffic the weather forum will have.

Ophelia was a nightmare with traffic on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

sryanbruen wrote: »
    There's numerous precedents for easterlies in general than specifically strong or weak ones.

Sorry, I missed you post earlier, thanks for that.

I've never really experienced a proper easterly, was too young to take note of the one in '91 and don't think we've had a real one since. Some of the charts look fairly spectacular but its just hard to gauge what it'd actually be like

Sorry, I missed you post earlier, thanks for that.

I've never really experienced a proper easterly, was too young to take note of the one in '91 and don't think we've had a real one since. Some of the charts look fairly spectacular but its just hard to gauge what it'd actually be like

This from January 2010 is the closest I know of to a beasterly here but all the cold air initially came from a northerly or northeasterly before the winds veered to an easterly on this day.

NOAA_1_2010010918_2.png

• Advertisement

Rather chilly on Thursday on the GFS 12z. The beast is on its way!

H2BngYZ.png

vGHUwlS.png

I just noticed this very intriguing coincidence. At the beginning of February 1991 when we were in the bitter easterly, the eastern US had record breaking warmth! The same places are expected to have as equal warmth this coming week and the next week after at the same time of us going into the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I annoyingly just don't remember the 1991 event for some reason.
    How long did it snow for?

GFS is suggesting 5 days of more or less constant snowfall for the East. And that's just so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are these charts showing the whole country going into the freezer or just the east??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just noticed this very intriguing coincidence. At the beginning of February 1991 when we were in the bitter easterly, the eastern US had record breaking warmth! The same places are expected to have as equal warmth this coming week and the next week after at the same time of us going into the freezer.

I remember watching that forecast Live as it aired. Our reception of BBC1 was never great back in those days with a snowy analogue reception at best that often turned black and white!

I knew something serious was up with that forecast, however BBC never really illustrated the strength of the snow over eastern Ireland or Northern Ireland too well. Had at least a week off school due to that easterly. I think it was also the last proper easterly/winter from the 1980s era. I think it was 2000 before we saw proper snow again after that event.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Are these charts showing the whole country going into the freezer or just the east??

Oh the whole country, absolutely.

Coming to a cinema near you soon!

alI1Q5i.jpg

James Madden - 10/10; would totally watch again.
    Nathan Rao - 10/10; best movie ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

If some of these charts fruit
    The only tools needed to forecast snow will be radar and satellite and a map of any disturbances
    Anything else would be surplus to requirements even a thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The beast from the east is unlikely to deliver snow to the western two thirds of the country.

It will be cold and dry,nothing exciting about that.

Oh gosh I sound just like those posters from the east during December , January and February.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

The beast from the east is unlikely to deliver snow to the western two thirds of the country.

Oh gosh I sound just like those posters from the east during December and February.

Cold and DRY
    I’m very excited at the prospect of a few dry days

Oh gosh I sound just like those posters from the east during December and February.

Welcome to our world squarecircles :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What’s the western 2/3rds of the country??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Everything that's not the Eastern 1/3rd :)

Jean just put up a chart for next weekend with southerlies and fronts approaching from the west..,

M50 ,the pale, dublin 4 media,Dublin postcode rosary area etc.

I.e not in my back yard,we want services but I we want to live in a field,Joe Scobbie lost down the country in regional Ireland that can't have light rail systems or densified urban centres with services our population densities,badly tarmacked drives and hair on our cheeks.

• Advertisement

Jean just put up a chart for next weekend with southerlies and fronts approaching from the west..,

UKMO did warn that in their 30 day forecast.

Is this where it all falls apart?

Relax! It's one run!

Quite possibly
    Better to get it over quick
    We’ll have the ‘will we ever watch the strat temp again’ thread up instead of an event thread

The first sign of the rot.
    Jerry Murphy must be on smelling salts with the charts as they are.Might be a good time for him to take anual leave to Genoa,i believe there will be a nice low with soft rain there next week,not much room for schleet showers in this set up.

Meanwhile Jean is anticipating wearing her tinfoil spandex dress next week from circa December 2010

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/965282158746185728

What could Met Eireann possibly have to suggest westerlies?

There's zero evidence for that on any model. They're just occasionally crap

gabeeg wrote: »

No hint of westerlies, it's a easterly turning into a southerly as it reaches Ireland, as all charts were suggesting.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Relax! It's one run!

Just again, sick of the disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

And cork naturally, because,SnowShield. Even
    In fantasy island (sigh) but we breached it once this year!!! Maybe again?

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »

It's usually a sign somethings up,they go into ultra conservative,coy, odd default meltdown mode when the Irish climate goes into pigmuck reversal mode,jerry Murphy has probably locked himself in a broom cupboard with the model output,Jean Byrne is trying on spandex dresses in anticipation for some serious forecasts next week,Joanna Donnelly is working on her serious post apocalyptic Ophelia face ,while Evelyn is psyching herself up in the jack's..."let's do this s*it."

Let's hope their Siberian Vulcan airmass wing graphics return promptly and...

May God have mercy on our souls.

Advertisement