Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Im looking forward to it going from the FI thread , Im spending my day removing Off Topic posts in there :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

oh just reading that old thread,, '10-15cm of snow expected nationwide' on the met eireann alert. If only that happened again. *Sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Im looking forward to it going from the FI thread , Im spending my day removing Off Topic posts in there :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::eek:

I think I may have been guilty of one of those deleted post 🙈 sorry about that ........ I’m trying to hold my excitement 😂😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

kittyn wrote: »
    I think I may have been guilty of one of those deleted post 🙈 sorry about that ........ I’m trying to hold my excitement 😂😂

No problem , its just trying to keep the thread tidy for most who just want the COLD hard facts in there and discussion of the model / charts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like the NAO isn't alone in taking a plunge, the AO is too.

lekCvq0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well at Sub 120 hours it goes from FI thread into here or :eek::eek::eek: its own thread :eek::eek::eek:

I'd be happy to do it this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No problem , its just trying to keep the thread tidy for most who just want the COLD hard facts in there and discussion of the model / charts

Perhaps we should have a split thread for this event once confidence increases? One for discussion and one exclusively for charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Personal favourite warning from Met Eireann from late November 2010- More of this next week please :D

442213.png

Stratosphere charts updated to the 18th February, small little spike ups (you can barely see it on the 30hPa chart but it's there) as I expected.

bNzRPds.gif

ZiQfx1B.gif

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Personal favourite warning from Met Eireann from late November 2010- More of this next week please :D

I knew the 30th November was THE day to remember!

My memory did not fool me. :p

I would love a repeat of that, easily one of my favourite days of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd be happy to do it this evening :)

Maybe we should at least see if this evening's ECM is an improvement before getting carried away with something the guts of a week away. I have a gut feeling that the ECM will be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I knew the 30th November was THE day to remember!

My memory did not fool me. :p

I would love a repeat of that, easily one of my favourite days of my life.

The night of the 1st of December is when the first spell peaked here, then the 22nd for the second blast. This is in terms of snowfall, the 25th of December 2010 remains the coldest day I've experienced in Dublin. Max temp -3.7C in Dublin 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Kermit contain yourself :D
    Please no thread until wenesday

Sky clearing here in West Clare, Max of 11.9c today. Very mild with about 20 minutes of sun this morning (in around 10am).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

highdef wrote: »
    Maybe we should at least see if this evening's ECM is an improvement before getting carried away with something the guts of a week away. I have a gut feeling that the ECM will be an improvement.

My coldest and still the record here just 2 miles from the sea near Arklow was -11c still at 1pm in the day on the 29th of November 2010 with a deep snow cover
    Simply incredible
    It will take some beating

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Ah the old thread, when I found out what streamers and the iom shadow were! 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

What time does ECM come out?

What time does ECM come out?

It's rolling right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

[IMG][/img]303cqo1.jpg

A nice ECM run, my hopes are beginning to rise so hopefully it doesn't go awol.

• Advertisement

Kermit has started a thread on the possible cold spell ahead :https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057843266/1/#post106195711

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking good, but hoping we don't see the usual...

442220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It might not be as glorious as currently shown, but i'm optimistic we will get something fairly decent now. You would usually be pointing out that the GFS is notorious for over doing the depth of cold, but it's the ECM,which you rate highly, showing it just as cold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Jaysus lads the other thread has already had over 200 posts since 6.40 and theres still 7 days left til whatever happens or 5 til its downgraded ;), the only thing guaranteed at this moment is, the place will go into meltdown either way, lol

Interesting, wonder about the impacts of this come the latter half of 2018 on the atmosphere or the climate (as I said before hand, I'm carrying out a research project on the Irish climate and volcanic eruptions). It's not up to the standards of Mount St. Helens, Mount Pinatubo etc but it's definitely one of the more notable eruptions in the 21st century so far along with the Icelandic volcano of 2010.

https://twitter.com/IceAgeFarmer/status/965670605084225536

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Is it a threat to our snow prospects?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gabeeg wrote: »
    Is it a threat to our snow prospects?

I think he is wondering if there is a link between cold outbreaks over us and volcanic eruptions- like the one back in Iceland in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I know. I was trying to set up a joke.

Good day to you, sir

I think he is wondering if there is a link between cold outbreaks over us and volcanic eruptions- like the one back in Iceland in 2010

So far, much of my research on this project has been dedicated to calculating IMTs so I can compare months, periods, years etc to see if there's any cooling taking place following volcanic eruptions in the Irish climate. I do this not just because of looking at the severest Winters and them being preceded by significant volcanic eruptions around the world but because it's clear that there is a global cooling impact from them. This has been researched by scientists already. Two examples are the Year Without A Summer (1816) which was preceded by the eruption of Mount Tambora in 1815 and the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1991 which was followed by several years of well below average SSTs over multiple oceans on the globe.

There are other reasons why December 2010 came to being so (stratosphere is certainly not one of them as it was cold throughout the latter part of 2010 over the Arctic Circle with any warmth that was trying to form was way to the south of Europe or in Asia of the stratosphere) but I think the Iceland volcano was a precursor to it.

Will likely take another year of calculating IMTs and researching for this project to be completed - I cannot give any guarantees though.

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    Is it a treat to our snow prospects?

Fixed that for you :p

Advertisement