Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's not impossible to get earthquakes in places not on plate boundaries, just like volcanoes in areas called hotspots.

Fun fact Soccarboy11: Co. Clare had an earthquake on 7 May 2010 which measured at a magnitude of 2.6 on the Richter Scale.

Very interesting, well I know what I am going to researching for the day now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Had a few in Donegal over the years as well, I 'heard' one about 10 years ago but didn't feel any shaking, just sounded like a jet high overhead so I didn't think anything of it, only the next morning when I read the news that realised what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Experienced two on a holiday to Torrevieja in 2013. The first was very frightening as everything fell off the walls. Didnt know what the hell was going on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Experienced two on a holiday to Torrevieja in 2013. The first was very frightening as everything fell off the walls. Didnt know what the hell was going on.

I was in Torrevieja during that for at least one of them. I remember it happening late at night, I wasn't sure what it was at the time then googled it the next morning and found out it was an earthquake. It was more of a loud rumble than seeing anything shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    I was in Torrevieja during that for at least one of them. I remember it happening late at night, I wasn't sure what it was at the time then googled it the next morning and found out it was an earthquake. It was more of a loud rumble than seeing anything shake.

We were in the Guardamar Del Segura area and the epicentre was like 2 miles away. Thats right we were woken up by it and me and my mate were told to GET OUT by her grandmother who lives there. There was another one then that afternoon but was smaller.

I felt lucky in a way to experience it twice on one holiday, just thanks be to god they werent major ones.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm loving the bizarre and unusual nature, let's keep it going :D. Only makes things more interesting.

As far as my eyes can see, GFS 12z has small upgrades on the easterly. These charts are for Wednesday so out of FI.

6iBgyOj.png

daG49aC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I hope this is ok to ask here. I'm off to Northern Norway and Sweden at the end of next week (hoping to see the aurora). 'If' this weather comes off that is being talked about at the moment, what are the implications for that part of the world - freezing cold? snowing? clear? mucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can someone tell me what this beast from the east brings? Sunny days and cold nights?

Can someone tell me what this beast from the east brings? Sunny days and cold nights?

Blizzards and gloomy cold days :P, at least a proper beast from the east does - January 1987 styled.

In Summer, it brings blue skies and hot conditions.

• Advertisement

Depends on how everything is oriented but in general it'd lead to far drier and more settled conditions with plenty of sunshine possible and a chance of snow showers mainly in the east. I think everyone would take that after months of damp westerlies

More extreme cold and heavy snow still a possibility though it's consistently pushed back every day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should bring exactly that normally. Occasionally it brings snow when conditions are right, but they're normally dry winds as they're from the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

The July 1984 earthquake was felt on the eastern side of Ireland. Remember it well. Cutlery shaking in old dressers. Amazing and scary experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Ll%C5%B7n_Peninsula_earthquake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

If easterlies arrive in March it will be a more traditional weather regieme from the 1960s back through history.

My mam told me there was always a fear that east wind would bring flu and cold from Europe in the early 20th and back into the 19th century.

Her grandmother had a saying:

'Welcome the cold blast from the North but lie low while March blows her East winds'.:)

Wow, the GFS 06z control run on the NAO ensemble today going off the scale. :P. The mean is extremely negative too.

o5fhc0r.jpg

Severe cold has been backdated (again).... I'm really starting to understand the frustration from some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This probable Easterly should really have its own thread here now. The potential severity if it happens and indeed just the threat of it warrants one imo

This probable Easterly should really have its own thread here now. The potential severity if it happens and indeed just the threat of it warrants one imo

Why don't you start one then?

I personally don't think so just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I'd give it til tomorrow evening and see if we've moved forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

For cold weather lovers if it looks too good to be true at T240, thats exactly what it is. We're still at least a week out from possibly the coldest spell since 2010 but more likely a more traditional drier, colder interlude with plenty of frosts upcoming, impossible to predict any snow at this stage. The stronger sun won't stop a bitter east wind feeling like cold sharp steel on the face if it comes. I will take some nice dry weather for sure and anything else is a bonus.

• Advertisement

Netweather posters continue to give some brilliant posts (another strange thing with this season :rolleyes:)! Think you should give it a read if you're feeling down on the beasterly like myself.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89342-model-output-discussion-post-ssw-will-it-turn-cold/?page=98&tab=comments#comment-3758133

Latest zonal winds GEFS.

b5zo3kM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This is the issue ,will it always be pushed out a day?
    It’s definitely going to be into March now tbh
    Every week is a lot of extra marginality given that the end result will not be one of the extremes we've seen modeled

I definitely think it’s going to come and the fact models have flirted with -10s and even -12 850s out to Ennis increases the likelihood of the actual result bringing them at least into the east
    But for heavens sake weather Sh1t or get off the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Netweather posters continue to give some brilliant posts (another strange thing with this season :rolleyes:)! Think you should give it a read if you're feeling down on the beasterly like myself.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89342-model-output-discussion-post-ssw-will-it-turn-cold/?page=98&tab=comments#comment-3758133
    Really interesting to read even if I only understand half of what they are saying!

No it doesn’t warrant one (yet)
    There isn’t even a modicum of certainty yet on whether there’ll be enough in this to cause disruption

There’s at least a week of benign weather ahead if not more and at least 4 or 5 days to go in my opinion before we have a reasonable idea what’s coming
    Assuming this doesn’t go off the rails ,next Thursday is time enough for starting a stand alone thread

Latest video from the met office
    It gives the very simple reason why they’ve put heavy snow into the medium term forecast on their site
    It also again suggests that they are hunching that the high will more likely than unlikely bring in the freezing easterlies
    It’s yet another reason not to get to hung up on models run to run as the thinking here really is a lot simpler than anything convoluted posted on netweather
    It’s childs play really
    1.set up the easterly
    2. Have it love you longtime
    3. It will advect advect advect and keep on advecting
    So in the light of number 3 above you will get your -10’s and -12 850’s and better still you will be getting a constant replenishment of super cold thicknesses ie air that’s freezing and maintains a freeze to ground level or near enough such that pure snow is all that precipitates when there’s precip

Ergo you will have spells in the longevity of the easterly (or in its SE or NE veer) where there will be heavy enough and constant enough precip to give fair cover

Anyway here’s Alex who doesn’t expand it as good as me :D

https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155584777294209/

GEFS 12z for the NAO, barely any difference from the 06z. Negative throughout.

w3osRiW.jpg

One for syran, just wondering are there any precedents to a strong easterly in late Feb/early March? Obviously we've had plenty of Spring blizzards down the years but they're usually from Atlantic lows undercutting the high, I'm just talking a direct easterly feed.

Just trying to gauge what sort of temperatures & conditions we could expect if the eternal 10 day charts ever come closer. We had -12C 850hPa temps in the second week of March 2013 and I don't think it delivered anything too noteworthy

Btw I’m watching the first and brilliant Bourne identity
    There’s lots of snow in it
    That lass driving the mini is earning every bit of that 20000 dollars driving that mini in that snow
    She’d want 30 to 40 k driving Dublin to Cork here in similar conditions and might not make it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

One for syran, just wondering are there any precedents to a strong easterly in late Feb/early March? Obviously we've had plenty of Spring blizzards down the years but they're usually from Atlantic lows undercutting the high, I'm just talking a direct easterly feed.

Just trying to gauge what sort of temperatures & conditions we could expect if the eternal 10 day charts ever come closer. We had -12C 850hPa temps in the second week of March 2013 and I don't think it delivered anything too noteworthy

1947 is the most extreme one that comes to mind, there was another notable instance in the 1950's I can't remember specific year.

Advertisement