Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's a list I've made of all the 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 ones.

This is great syranbruen, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

One for syran, just wondering are there any precedents to a strong easterly in late Feb/early March? Obviously we've had plenty of Spring blizzards down the years but they're usually from Atlantic lows undercutting the high, I'm just talking a direct easterly feed.

Just trying to gauge what sort of temperatures & conditions we could expect if the eternal 10 day charts ever come closer. We had -12C 850hPa temps in the second week of March 2013 and I don't think it delivered anything too noteworthy

I'll try and answer this tomorrow.

As for the GFS 18z, I see some people are losing their knickers over it. Calm down! :P I'll have to see a trend going before to get excited about it, sick of disappointment.

Rougies wrote: »
    This is great syranbruen, cheers!

If it's any help, I will go and do other years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

sryanbruen wrote:
    The NAO is going into negative territory. The AO is going into negative territory. These two things tell me that there is blocking going to take place over the Arctic Circle and low pressure is going to develop over the Azores or Mediterranean where normally you see that pest to the southwest giving us coldies the middle finger .

This will happen as per usual, the north and east may get substantial snow from this event as this cold air from Russia will be locked in on an easterly windflow, this easterly looks strong must say, I think the east coast could be under the gun from next Saturday on for at least a week into March. Lets see how this unfolds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This forum is fast losing its integrity. Folk losing their reason over stuff progged at +192 and beyond over on the model thread. Give it 5 days and the disappointment will be suicidal.

Seriously lads, its Winter in Ireland, there is no justification for detailed treatment of any extreme prognosis until it gets to about +48. Personally i dont raise an eyebrow for less than +36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This forum is fast losing its integrity. Folk losing their reason over stuff progged at +192 and beyond over on the model thread. Give it 5 days and the disappointment will be suicidal.

Seriously lads, its Winter in Ireland, there is no justification for detailed treatment of any extreme prognosis until it gets to about +48. Personally i dont raise an eyebrow for less than +36.

Bah Humbug 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's called the Fantasy Island thread for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Should bring exactly that normally. Occasionally it brings snow when conditions are right, but they're normally dry winds as they're from the continent.

Thanks would take that now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Fantasy Island. Nobody said it's going to happen. It caught people's attention because well personally speaking it's the snowiest run I've ever seen and I've been watching models for over 10 years. The fact the models are even showing these ideas is in itself incredible- and after a record breaking SSW who knows... The point is the potential is there otherwise the models wouldn't show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's called the Fantasy Island thread for a reason.

Yeah it used to be. Lads starting threads in recent weeks on the back of it, hysterical reactions. Sure there are runs progging deep cold and every day they are pushed out to day 10 and not bearing out. When we get to July will it still be snow at +240?

• Advertisement

Yeah it used to be. Lads starting threads in recent weeks on the back of it, hysterical reactions. Sure there are runs progging deep cold and every day they are pushed out to day 10 and not bearing out. When we get to July will it still be snow at +240?

And yet all of the recent cold event threads had snow falls. If anyone is being hysterical here, it's not the ones in the FI thread.

What threads were started based on FI model output (>120hrs out)? I don't think there were any.

If you don't want to read about possible and plausible scenarios maybe you should stick to the "current conditions" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2010 was the only time threads were started beyond 120 hrs as far as I remember. :confused:

2010 was the only time threads were started beyond 120 hrs as far as I remember. :confused:

Maybe, and if so they were probably justified given the synoptics at the time. 120hrs isn't a hard limit to FI when you've got the polar vortex over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sooner the easterly kicks in the better. Its wet with extensive fog / mist down in the hills here in Castlebar. Horrible day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm refusing to get excited until it comes into a far more reliable time frame, it's still basically a week away. If current FI charts are still showing the same next Thursday from the 25th onward then i'll start to get excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sooner the easterly kicks in the better. Its wet with extensive fog / mist down in the hills here in Castlebar. Horrible day.

It's no better here in the South East.Grey skies and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has been a horrible winter. First in a long time that I have found very long.

Hopefully with a better forecast next week we might be in for a better spell of weather.

Looking forward to some bright sunny days where you can get out and do stuff. So hard to get young kids out and about in the weather we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It has been a horrible winter. First in a long time that I have found very long.

Hopefully with a better forecast next week we might be in for a better spell of weather.

Looking forward to some bright sunny days where you can get out and do stuff. So hard to get young kids out and about in the weather we have had.

Lidl are on the ball with kids wet gear on sale next week. All I can say is thank feck I raised my garden and put down an artificial lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

What is the rough start date for this cold spell from the east? I am thinking 25th of February?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

What is the rough start date for this cold spell from the east? I am thinking 25th of February?

Yeah around that time from latest guidance for the more colder weather that is. An easterly wind looks to be starting around Wednesday

One for syran, just wondering are there any precedents to a strong easterly in late Feb/early March? Obviously we've had plenty of Spring blizzards down the years but they're usually from Atlantic lows undercutting the high, I'm just talking a direct easterly feed.

Just trying to gauge what sort of temperatures & conditions we could expect if the eternal 10 day charts ever come closer. We had -12C 850hPa temps in the second week of March 2013 and I don't think it delivered anything too noteworthy

There's numerous precedents for easterlies in general than specifically strong or weak ones.

One precedent is a strong Siberian High with quite a large snow cover advancement into Europe through the month of October. Why and how is this a precedent? With other factors building up a block to the north like negative AO/NAO or SSW (we haven't had a SSW in November since the 70s and to remind, the November 1962 SSW/CW led to the severest Winter of the 20th century!), the strong Siberian High that builds itself to the east of Europe and over Russia conjoins with this block to form a monster area of high pressure to the north of Europe. This means high pressure over Greenland, high pressure over the Norwegian Sea and Arctic, high pressure over Scandinavia etc. This in turn leads to easterlies because there is no other place the winds can directly blow from - unless the block is too far north obviously. With the snow cover from October, Europe has already been in a bit of a freeze. I'm not the greatest when it comes to this methodology but that's what I know as far as I'm aware. Sometimes like 2013, this fails though because of external factors.

Second precedent is well... I've already said it, SSW lol. Again, this depends on a few factors though such as what type of SSW is it? Is it a displacement of the Polar Vortex? Is it a split of the Polar Vortex? Is it a total obliteration of the Polar Vortex? Examples of each here are:

- Displacement; February 2008. Brought very cold conditions to the east of the US (regardless of the La Nina taking place). Blew up the jet stream for us and we had a very stormy March with a new March low pressure record set for Ireland. However, at times such as mid to late March and early April, we had some significant snowfalls and cold conditions so it wasn't all doom and gloom! These were the most significant March snowfalls since 2006 and most significant April snowfalls since 1999 at the time.
    - Split; January 1985. Record breaking cold conditions to the east of the US. Very cold and snowy easterly across Europe including Ireland. Coldest January of the 1980s and the only January to compete it since then is 2010. Of course, February 2018 is a PV split here
    - Obliteration; January 2013. Coldest March since 1892 for the CET, coldest on record for the IMT as far as I know - even colder than March 1962. Coldest weather since 2010 generally. Best March blizzards for many many years in the UK and Northern Ireland. Unusually anticyclonic February spell too.

SSW is a high chance for cold or snow to develop for us following it with 2/3 SSW events favouring so. You don't need SSW to get crazy cold as can be seen from Winters like 2009-10 or 2010-11 (though February 2010 had a SSW which led onto the coldest March since 2006 or 2001 and the best March blizzard I have experienced in my life so far). Easterlies are more favoured than northerlies from SSW events.

Warm air advection is another precedent to easterlies. This is when the winds become southerlies with an area of high pressure to the east either over Scandinavia or eastern Europe, sending warm air up into the Arctic and in turn let cold air descend into Siberia which then comes biting in on the easterly. Have a look at previous examples here:

End of January 1991 before February freeze

vWELwVn.png

January 1987 right before the huge but quite brief beasterly

MWIyv17.png

End of December 1984 before the mid-January 1985 cold spell. I included the upper air temperatures in this one because they are a brilliant example to show you the warm air advecting up to the Arctic.

66EUwGG.png

rAhfDt0.png

Honestly, there are quite a few precedents you can notice for yourself when it comes to easterlies if you look through the archives and compare each like with the warm air advection.

11 March 2013 delivered snow showers to us - enough to delay flights at Dublin Airport. In the Channel Islands, they had absolute blizzards that were easily better than snow they had in 2010 - the fact that they took place in March is significant enough. This was the scene at Dublin Airport on the 11 March:

dublin-airport-snow-390x285.jpg
    courtesy of Finbar Barry

Ireland didn't really get that much from March 2013 especially in comparison to the UK but there was a good few days with falling snow for some. Mind you, parts of Dublin had some significant lying snow on 19/20 and 26/27 March. I remember I could build a snowman on the morning of 27 March. It didn't snow here on the 27th but did on the 26th and it was helped by the severe frost that developed. The thing with March 2013 too that you got to remember was that it wasn't a proper easterly month, it was northeasterly.

March 2013 is my personal least favourite month because of personal experience and how dull it was. Ugh, disgusting month.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

There's numerous precedents for easterlies in general than specifically strong or weak ones.

One precedent is a strong Siberian High with quite a large snow cover advancement into Europe through the month of October. Why and how is this a precedent? With other factors building up a block to the north like negative AO/NAO or SSW (we haven't had a SSW in November since the 70s and to remind, the November 1962 SSW/CW led to the severest Winter of the 20th century!), the strong Siberian High that builds itself to the east of Europe and over Russia conjoins with this block to form a monster area of high pressure to the north of Europe. This means high pressure over Greenland, high pressure over the Norwegian Sea and Arctic, high pressure over Scandinavia etc. This in turn leads to easterlies because there is no other place the winds can directly blow from - unless the block is too far north obviously. With the snow cover from October, Europe has already been in a bit of a freeze. I'm not the greatest when it comes to this methodology but that's what I know as far as I'm aware. Sometimes like 2013, this fails though because of external factors.

Second precedent is well... I've already said it, SSW lol. Again, this depends on a few factors though such as what type of SSW is it? Is it a displacement of the Polar Vortex? Is it a split of the Polar Vortex? Is it a total obliteration of the Polar Vortex? Examples of each here are:

- Displacement; February 2008. Brought very cold conditions to the east of the US (regardless of the La Nina taking place). Blew up the jet stream for us and we had a very stormy March with a new March low pressure record set for Ireland. However, at times such as mid to late March and early April, we had some significant snowfalls and cold conditions so it wasn't all doom and gloom! These were the most significant March snowfalls since 2006 and most significant April snowfalls since 1999 at the time.
    - Split; January 1985. Record breaking cold conditions to the east of the US. Very cold and snowy easterly across Europe including Ireland. Coldest January of the 1980s and the only January to compete it since then is 2010. Of course, February 2018 is a PV split here
    - Obliteration; January 2013. Coldest March since 1892 for the CET, coldest on record for the IMT as far as I know - even colder than March 1962. Coldest weather since 2010 generally. Best March blizzards for many many years in the UK and Northern Ireland. Unusually anticyclonic February spell too.

SSW is a high chance for cold or snow to develop for us following it with 2/3 SSW events favouring so. You don't need SSW to get crazy cold as can be seen from Winters like 2009-10 or 2010-11 (though February 2010 had a SSW which led onto the coldest March since 2006 or 2001 and the best March blizzard I have experienced in my life so far). Easterlies are more favoured than northerlies from SSW events.

Warm air advection is another precedent to easterlies. This is when the winds become southerlies with an area of high pressure to the east either over Scandinavia or eastern Europe, sending warm air up into the Arctic and in turn let cold air descend into Siberia which then comes biting in on the easterly. Have a look at previous examples here:

End of January 1991 before February freeze

vWELwVn.png

January 1987 right before the huge but quite brief beasterly

MWIyv17.png

End of December 1984 before the mid-January 1985 cold spell. I included the upper air temperatures in this one because they are a brilliant example to show you the warm air advecting up to the Arctic.

66EUwGG.png

rAhfDt0.png

Honestly, there are quite a few precedents you can notice for yourself when it comes to easterlies if you look through the archives and compare each like with the warm air advection.

11 March 2013 delivered snow showers to us - enough to delay flights at Dublin Airport. In the Channel Islands, they had absolute blizzards that were easily better than snow they had in 2010 - the fact that they took place in March is significant enough. This was the scene at Dublin Airport on the 11 March:

dublin-airport-snow-390x285.jpg
    courtesy of Finbar Barry

Ireland didn't really get that much from March 2013 especially in comparison to the UK but there was a good few days with falling snow for some. Mind you, parts of Dublin had some significant lying snow on 19/20 and 26/27 March. I remember I could build a snowman on the morning of 27 March. It didn't snow here on the 27th but did on the 26th and it was helped by the severe frost that developed. The thing with March 2013 too that you got to remember was that it wasn't a proper easterly month, it was northeasterly.

March 2013 is my personal least favourite month because of personal experience and how dull it was. Ugh, disgusting month.

Brilliant post!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just saw the weekly forecast on RTE1. Basically a dry week from Tuesday onward especially in the east. Light rain may plague the western seaboard on Thursday and Friday. Temps dropping to about 7C from Tuesday onward with severe frosts on Tuesday night and into next weekend. They mentioned Siberian air but no mention of showers or snow. At least met eireann are on board that something colder is on it's way.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Brilliant post!

Can ye not trim down the quote a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All the makings of a lazy Sunday today!

For once I think the mildness is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Hate this winter, boring rainy and dry days. Much rather wintrer 2015/2016 than this. The sooner it ends the better.

I have to disagree with the boring comments, this has been one of the most interesting Winters I have experienced with so much bizarre things taking place. 2016-17, now that was boring.... mild and dry in Winter? Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm refusing to get excited until it comes into a far more reliable time frame, it's still basically a week away. If current FI charts are still showing the same next Thursday from the 25th onward then i'll start to get excited.

I bet you will be excited by Monday evening/Tues morning , we have an easterly flow from mid week. If this ends up flopping it will be in the next 48 hours, the gun is locked and loaded by mid week, the trigger is pulled later in the week.

I also think we will see a slight shift closer in time of arrival - very cold air landing by the 23rd/24th.

Haven't seen cross model agreement at day 8-10 like this on a cold solution since 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

I have to disagree with the boring comments, this has been one of the most interesting Winters I have experienced with so much bizarre things taking place. 2016-17, now that was boring.... mild and dry in Winter? Ew.

Have to disagree there. There is not a thing wrong with Mild and Dry in Winter if theres no hope of cold and snow! :D:D:D

Advertisement