Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

lawred2 wrote: »
    Then two changes for Bray to town? It's one or the other

What?

Metro from Airport to Sandyford. Change to Luas from Sandyford to Bray.

If Dart Underground gets built: DART from Bray to Drumcondra and change to Metro from Drumcondra to Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Peregrine wrote: »
    What?

Metro from Airport to Sandyford. Change to Luas from Sandyford to Bray.

It's either two changes if going from Bray to the airport or two changes if going from Bray to Town?

No?

Obviously the Dart already connects Bray direct to town ..

However let's say you're coming from Cherrywood? Is that now going to be two stops into town?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well still one change as the metro will have stops in town it’s not an express

salmocab wrote: »
    Well still one change as the metro will have stops in town it’s not an express

Right.. so the luas will in effect terminate at Charlemont?

For some that is obviously going to be a reduction in service

It's either two changes if going from Bray to the airport or two changes if going from Bray to Town?

No?

Obviously the Dart already connects Bray direct to town ..

However let's say you're coming from Cherrywood? Is that now going to be two stops into town?

Could you explain where the other change would be?

Luas from Cherrywood to Sandyford. Metro from Sandyford to SSG or somewhere else in the city centre. Still one change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

From the north side yes, but the metro will have various stops in the city Centre which will bring people out to probably Sandyford directly. It’s going to be a better system but people will have to make one change if coming or going out past Sandyford or wherever it finishes. That said wait times will be low probably no more than 3/4 minutes at peak

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

They can switch to a metro and get into town quicker. With frequencies at 2.5 mins they won't be waiting long.

The only people who would conceivably have a reduction in service is some one going from the current green line north of Parnell, say, going some where on the green line South of Charlemount where there is no metro stop. And even then, given how slowly Luas crosses through the city, I'm not convinced it wouldn't be quicker to change anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Really not getting your point here?

Metro goes through the city centre so its still Bray - Sandyford then metro into the city...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, as Irish people we really aren't use to changing between trams/metros/trains but really it is completely normal on any European transport network. For instance it is totally normal to change every day between trains on the London Underground and New York Subway.

As we get more of a high quality public transport network, changing like this will become the norm. It ends up giving you overall faster journey times and overall greater network efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Metro will mean a vastly better service for most Green line users.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Yes, as Irish people we really aren't use to changing between trams/metros/trains but really it is completely normal on any European transport network. For instance it is totally normal to change every day between trains on the London Underground and New York Subway.

As we get more of a high quality public transport network, changing like this will become the norm. It ends up giving you overall faster journey times and overall greater network efficiency.

Ah yeah changing is entirely normal... But more often when lines intersect each other. Not when lines run parallel to each other along similar stops..

Either way I hope they get on with it. The airport needs to be connected to the city. And Swords just as importantly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah yeah changing is entirely normal... But more often when lines intersect each other. Not when lines run parallel to each other along similar stops..

Either way I hope they get on with it. The airport needs to be connected to the city.

Lots of examples of lines running parallel for at least some distance in London, New York, etc. Not unusual at all and another concept that we need to get use to here in Ireland.

Lots of examples of lines running parallel for at least some distance in London, New York, etc. Not unusual at all and another concept that we need to get use to here in Ireland.

London and New York have two of most extensive urban rail networks in the world. It would be near unavoidable at this stage to have lines that don't travel parallel for some distance.

Dublin on the other hand...

Btw I have no real issue with this metro line.. despite what some of you seem to be thinking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, the Circle, Metropolitan and District lines in London jump to mind immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Either way I hope they get on with it. The airport needs to be connected to the city.

I think you're misunderstanding how the Metro will run in the city centre - it doesn't terminate at Ranelagh, it will tunnel and proceed northwards towards the airport, with several city centre stops. The existing Green line will be retained North from the point where the Metro tunnels, so probably Charlemont to Broombridge.

Then there will be an eventual extension of that Luas line from Broombridge to Finglas.

In the south the Metro will terminate at Sandyford, and from there the existing Green Line will be retained as a Luas to Bride's Glen (with an eventual Bray extension)

No shared running at all, and there will be very little parallel running too (basically only in that short Ranelagh to SSG section)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

dmeehan wrote: »
    If the "Metro Link" is going to run on (some of) the Luas Green Line alignment what does this mean for the Luas on this section? I assume they are not going to share.

Anyone??

dmeehan wrote: »
    Anyone??

See the post directly above yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Do we've any sort of sense of what the journey time from Swords to the City Centre is likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

If this Metro is actually built, what is the point of retaining the luas stretch between SSG and Ranelagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A new Luas Stop at Sandyford will likely have to be build separate from the current stop which I assume would become the new metro stop for the Brides Glen or what will probably the Bray line by then. I don't think that the Sandyford stop will have have the capacity to allow for both Luas and Metro to stop there meaning that the Luas may need a separate stop.

Also I wonder will Sandyford depot be both Luas and Metro or will it remain just Luas for the Brides Glen line. I suspect Metro trains could just be stabled there I don't think Sandyford would be equipped for maintence of longer 90m trains or trams don't know what to call them so it probably have to be done in a the new depot in Swords.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If this Metro is actually built, what is the point of retaining the luas stretch between SSG and Ranelagh?

You do realise it's been extended to Broombridge through the CC now or have you been living under a rock for the last couple of years :D, it will probably be extended again out to Finglas by the time the Metro is built.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You do realise it's been extended to Broombridge through the CC now or have you been living under a rock for the last couple of years :D, it will probably be extended again out to Finglas by the time the Metro is built.

Yeah I know. That's SSG to Broombridge. I'm talking about the section between SSG and Ranelagh. So read my post before the smart arse reply.

If this Metro is built and the Green line is converted with a tunnel portal in the Charlemont/Ranelagh area whats the proposal for the short section of luas thats left.

Yeah I know. That's SSG to Broombridge. I'm talking about the section between SSG and Ranelagh. So read my post before the smart arse reply.

If this Metro is built and the Green line is converted with a tunnel portal in the Charlemont/Ranelagh area whats the proposal for the short section of luas thats left.

The Luas will continue from Ranelagh or Charlemount whichever is the first stop after the tunnel portal to Broombridge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would expect it to be extended down Adelaide Road towards Leeson Street and perhaps as far as the Dart at Grand Canal Dock- it is about 2 km inc turns.

The Luas will continue from Ranelagh or Charlemount whichever is the first stop after the tunnel portal to Broombridge.

And you know that for a fact do you?

I would expect it to be extended down Adelaide Road towards Leeson Street and perhaps as far as the Dart at Grand Canal Dock- it is about 2 km inc turns.

That's a good idea. But in all this Metro link stuff, there isn't any mention of what will happen. Not that I can find anyway.

And you know that for a fact do you?

Yes what did you think would happen?

Yes what did you think would happen?

Show me a source for that unless its just your opinion.

Show me a source for that unless its just your opinion.

It's all speculation atm as to where the tunnel portal will actually be. The Luas will then from the first station after the portal to Broombridge I don't see why the Luas will only run to SSG from the first station after the portal. That would seem daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nobody has any definite plans about where anything will go yet, we all have to wait until the detailed plans are released for public consultation, which should be in a couple of months.

Any supposition I've made above has been based on previous plans that are no longer being used, or based on the map supplied at yesterday's announcement (which is what showed no shared Luas/Metro running). The speculation on the location of the Metro tunnel surfacing is based on the NTA intervening in planning applications around the expected location.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement